Life Saver

January 24, 2020
I am the only user as our company is very small. I use Parallels in order to access Windows because my accounting program (QuickBooks …

• File transfer (16)
  • Screen sharing (5)
  • Centralized management dashboard (7)
  • Over-the-Internet remote session (6)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Parallels Desktop, and make your voice heard!

Parallels Desktop 16

per license

Parallels Desktop Pro Edition

per license/per year

per license

Product Demos

How to Run Windows on Mac with Parallels Desktop for Mac - Now Runs on Intel and M1 Chip
01:24

Remote Administration

What is Parallels Desktop?

Parallels Desktop is a virtual user session solution built to run Windows on Macintosh computers without rebooting. It is designed for OS X Yosemite with one-click tuning.

Parallels Desktop Video

How to Run Windows on Mac : Parallels Desktop for Mac

Parallels Desktop Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Mac

Reviewers rate File transfer and Session record highest, with a score of 9.3.

The most common users of Parallels Desktop are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Computer Software industry.

Will Goad | TrustRadius Reviewer
If you can follow a prompt and click a button, you can install Parallels. We chose Parallels because they make it so simple to buy, install, set up, and add licenses. I work with Creatives and getting them to run a Windows environment is a painful task. With Parallels, we can do it for them in minutes and "hide" Windows.
Parallels Desktop has better experience for MacOS if we compare to VMware Workstation Pro. It has more extensions and feature that working great on MacOS environment. Support working multi virtual machines on the same time and no limit (if you have a powerful laptop) I am really pleased to use it and keep suggested it to everyone around me.
Parallels [Desktop] is more polished and has a friendlier interface than VMware Fusion. While the VMware Fusion licensing model is simpler Parallels [Desktop] innovates faster and optimizes their product more often and with more features that customers want. At their core they perform the same function, but Parallels [Desktop] does it with a much improved user experience which helps reduce the support needed from our helpdesk. From personal experience I noticed Parallels [Desktop] to be slightly more responsive in some cases, and also handle Virtual machine issues slightly better.
*VMware is not is the list but that is probably the most popular alternative. We went with Parallels because it was generally easier to install and maintain. VMWare is a solid product and we have people on staff who use it but most people who have experience both strongly prefer Parallels in my setting.
Jonah Dempcy | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm a longtime user of VMware Fusion and I still use it in some cases. We use it on RedHat Linux computers to run other Linux environments with specific software development environment configurations. I've also used VMware Fusion on a MacBook Pro laptop to run Windows and other versions of Mac OS X. However, I prefer Parallels for a Mac, as it is so well-integrated with the host operating system and specialized for Mac virtualization needs. I find the user interface better than VMware Fusion, and the file transfer, Copy and Paste, Drag and Drop, networking, and the ability to launch virtualized apps from the host desktop make Parallels overall much easier to use.
At the end of the day, it seemed like Parallels Desktop has the fastest product with a feature set that was most important to our users. Additionally, it seemed to hit a mark where it was easy enough for our less tech-savvy users, but powerful enough for our users that really wanted to stretch the software and its capabilities.
January 24, 2020

Life Saver

I have not used any other program to meet these needs and to be honest I didn't want to. Parallels had great reviews and from my research it would do what I needed, so there was no reason to look elsewhere. On top of that, Parallels is not overly expensive for the capability you get.
  • VirtualBox and VMWare
Parallels has better performance and easier setup than VirtualBox (and VMWare the last time I tried it). Parallels is fairly expensive, while VirtualBox is free, so going with VirtualBox will save quite a bit of money. The strength of VirtualBox lies in use with Vagrant and command-line only virtual machines. For more user-friendly virtual machines, Parallels works very well.
Parallels Desktop ends up filling the sweet spot between free, but basic application (VirtualBox), and fully featured enterprise application (VMware Fusion.). Even at this point, we don't use all of the features of Parallels, but the perceived performance boost over VirtualBox and simplicity versus VMware Fusion makes it the best choice for our organization. Our users don't want to really have to manage their virtual machine—they just want to use it for their legacy Windows applications and be done, so neither a barebones approach nor a swiss army knife of customizations would fit. Parallels hits that sweet spot.
Damien Dolan | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's cheaper for one, it also is the company's sole focus so you know it is getting a lot of support on their end. I also feel it is easier to use. It is its own standalone and doesn't have any other flavors or variations like VMware. One stop software solution that works.
Parallels offers a much more streamlined and easier to navigate VM configuration interface. Once configured, device compatibility and overall system efficiency appears to be better in Parallels Desktop compared to others. Integration between the Mac host OS and the VM is virtually seamless whether you are just sharing files between the two operating systems or utilizing full-on Coherence mode.
Stefan Boeykens | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have used VirtualBox on Windows as a free alternative, as I only used it to access an old scanner without recent drivers. So far, I stick with Parallels, but the OpenGL limitations are said to be resolved better with VMware Fusion. But I currently don't want to migrate to another VM solution. The main ease-of-use and integration in macOS is still good for me.
Aaron Pace | TrustRadius Reviewer
Prior to using Parallels, I ran under Boot Camp. Of course, the OS runs just fine that way, but having to power down and back up each time I wanted to switch environments just wasn't working for me. That's what sent me looking for another solution. I tried Oracle VM VirtualBox, but the configuration was difficult and the OS never installed correctly. (Likely user error.) The setup process for Oracle VM VirtualBox was definitely geared to very tech savvy people who understand virtual machine lingo, which I do not. Parallels is loaded with all the features and functionality that I need to do my work, with a very simple user interface.
Denise Wade | TrustRadius Reviewer
Parallels Desktop for Mac was chosen because of its robust features and great price. Even though VirtualBox is free it does not provide the same features. In Parallels you can download extra patches to accommodate printer and usb drivers.