https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/25/uV/7IPAN1N39J2M.JPEGPaymo gave me more for lessSince going freelance, I've used Paymo as my principle time tracking app for client-based work. I use it for tracking all of my projects and share the live time reports with my hourly-billed clients. Not only does the app work great, both in the web form and the mobile version, but the support team were excellent in helping me figure out how to get things set up when I first started, including helping me determine how to code certain projects so that I could offer my clients (most of whom are nonprofits) differing rates based upon the specifics of the project and its funding requirements. Even better, when the company changed their billing, after adding new features that I didn't quite need, I found that their newly-revised basic plan suited all that I needed - saving me money each month without my needing to adapt the way I'd been doing things.,The ability to code exactly what time I worked on a project enables me to bill clients more accurately and within different minimums, which besides more accurately tracking time, this has been extremely helpful as I negotiate contracts for services and offer different deals with potential clients. Some are billed to the minute, some in 15-minute minimums, and some in 20-minute blocks. The live reports are great, showing time spent in the minimums that I've set, while also including as much detail as I wish to share. I've now started just writing my notes into the tracker, which are then carried into the live reports - this eases my needing to send logs to clients, as well as helping me to keep projects on track.,I'd still love a way for the rates to vary based on how much time has been used, especially if a project goes over time. For example, charging one rate for up to a set amount of hours, then reducing/increasing the rate for hours over the threshold based on the contract. Rarely, but enough that it's annoyed me a few times, I've updated the web or the mobile only to find that both are listed in the time report. I go through and combine or delete as need, but it can be a bother and takes time away from doing the work at hand. As they've expanded the product, they've done a good job of informing users of what's been added. Still, I wouldn't mind having some suggestions on how to better use the app and am sure that I'm not doing so to its best ability or at least a guide that can be turned on/off to help explain features.,10,They changed their plans, adding new features that I don't need - however, instead of finding that I was paying for something I didn't want, I happily found that I was now able to do all of my tasks on their free plan. This saves me about $11 a month which, while not much, is still very appreciated. When I was first setting up my business, they took time to read some fairly detailed questions on how I wanted to use the app, and then made great, honest recommendations. In fact, we weren't able to do as I'd originally wanted and instead found a few workarounds that I've since incorporated into my daily habits. The ease of use is nice; the friendliness and support are invaluable.,Harvest and QuickBooks Online,Microsoft Office 365, Hotjar, MailChimp, Campaign MonitorTrack Time with PaymoOur marketing department is using Paymo mainly for two functions. One is to keep track of how much time is spent on non-profitable administrative tasks so that we can justify hiring another admin and the second is used to track hours spent working on trade shows and other events to get the true cost of those events. We do track all other tasks and projects in Paymo as well. Right now it is only used in our Marketing department.,Color coding for easier visual of daily breakdown Gantt charts are extremely helpful for project timelines The dashboard is a useful tool to provide a snapshot of how hours are spent,It would be really helpful if on the timer tool, they asked you to switch projects when you stop the timer, so it could fill that time in right away for you. I never use the 'My Tasks' because I don't fully understand how to integrate it to be useful to what our purposes are in Paymo. Some Youtube tutorials might be helpful,8,It helped us to realize that our actual spend for events like trade shows was actually higher with our manpower included,Buzzsumo, WordStream, Hootsuite FreeTrack time without thinking about it, as long as you put in the time in the front-endI've encouraged people in our office to use Paymo as a time tracking tool, but I doubt it's being used across our organization. It helps track time on our individual jobs, which is important to ensure that we get paid appropriately.,Time tracking. As long as you set up everything correctly on the front end, you don't have to think about it again and it will run in the background. Job management. Organizes jobs intuitively and can easily archive jobs. Support. If you ever have an issue or questions, they have a chat feature and will usually respond in a couple hours.,Project list personalizing. Paymo is primarily meant for freelancers, so the only way to see how much time you've spent on a job since last recording time is to navigate through a few pages to hunt down the number. It would be easier if we could personalize the list to just show that number in the main list. Not intuitive. It takes a lot of set up on the front end to get jobs where you want them to be, and some features are not where you'd think they would be to get the jobs set up to track time. Huge learning curve. I've already heard a couple of my teammates look for alternatives because there was too much of a learning curve for them.,7,Gives me more accurate time that I've spent on projects compared to older methods I've used. Has data that I can pull together, for example my boss wanted to know the percentage of time I'd spent working on projects for one client compared to everything else - I was able to give them an accurate percentage. Forces you to stay on top of jobs, which can lengthen the time to complete something,Basecamp, Extensis Portfolio, BoxIntuitive and organized project management suite!We use Paymo to track and bill employee time, manage customer projects and timelines, invoice for billable hours, flat-rate projects and expenses, and track our performance against projected time allowances for tasks.,Paymo has a great (and customizable) at-a-glance dashboard. From there I can see upcoming milestones, how my employee billable and non-billable hours stack up, how accounts receivable is doing, etc. My whole team loves the Paymo desktop widget. It makes timekeeping really simple and intuitive, and it helps us stay profitable. Timekeeping is always tough, and Paymo makes it as easy as possible! Paymo customer support is fantastic! They really listen to the requests that their clients make. They even have an online community set up where you can submit suggestions, discuss suggestions with other clients and Paymo employees, and see the Paymo development path.,The main area for improvement is exportability of data. It's tough to get full data out of Paymo. You can export most things in CSV format, but if you were to start with Paymo and want to switch to another project management and accounting platform, there would be substantial manual effort involved. There also aren't as many integrations for Paymo as some of the more mainstream project management suites. This isn't necessarily Paymo's fault. It's just a function of them still being one of the "little guys." Something to be aware of before you select this platform though.,10,Paymo has resulted in a positive ROI for my company. It should be noted that we're grandfathered in on their old billing rate, which means our subscription costs are substantially lower than a new client's would be.,GlipPaymo Certified!Paymo is being used across our department for tracking projects and time for the week. We also use it to track ROI on tradeshows. It was designed to measure the need for additional personnel and time spent on non-related marketing activities.,Allows users to create dedicated project to track time Ability to create detailed tasks list Measure actual cost of projects/activities,The ability to copy over a project to a new year but with zero time. It would be great if you could do that. This was our biggest issue.,9,It has shone a light on actual cost of time for us at trade shows. It is easy to see the hard costs but most people don't factor in the time/labor cost of shows.,,Adobe Illustrator CC, Microsoft Dynamics 365 (formerly Microsoft Dynamics CRM), Paylocity Web Pay
Paymo

Paymo Reviews

Paymo
Filter 8 vetted Paymo reviews and ratings
Daniel Summers Jr profile photo
May 28, 2018

User Review: "Paymo gave me more for less"

• The ability to code exactly what time I worked on a project enables me to bill clients more accurately and within different minimums, which besides more accurately tracking time, this has been extremely helpful as I negotiate contracts for services and offer different deals with potential clients. Some are billed to the minute, some in 15-minute minimums, and some in 20-minute blocks.
  • The live reports are great, showing time spent in the minimums that I've set, while also including as much detail as I wish to share.
  • I've now started just writing my notes into the tracker, which are then carried into the live reports - this eases my needing to send logs to clients, as well as helping me to keep projects on track.
  • I'd still love a way for the rates to vary based on how much time has been used, especially if a project goes over time. For example, charging one rate for up to a set amount of hours, then reducing/increasing the rate for hours over the threshold based on the contract.
  • Rarely, but enough that it's annoyed me a few times, I've updated the web or the mobile only to find that both are listed in the time report. I go through and combine or delete as need, but it can be a bother and takes time away from doing the work at hand.
  • As they've expanded the product, they've done a good job of informing users of what's been added. Still, I wouldn't mind having some suggestions on how to better use the app and am sure that I'm not doing so to its best ability or at least a guide that can be turned on/off to help explain features.
Well suited: tracking time, making notes to share with clients, live reporting. Less so: tracking and bookkeeping - they don't market it as a bookkeeping app, though they do allow for invoicing through it. Still, my needs are such that I use a separate app for tracking receipts against a project and then invoicing clients.
Read Daniel Summers Jr's full review
Kaitlin Berg profile photo
May 25, 2018

User Review: "Track Time with Paymo"

• Color coding for easier visual of daily breakdown
  • Gantt charts are extremely helpful for project timelines
  • The dashboard is a useful tool to provide a snapshot of how hours are spent
  • It would be really helpful if on the timer tool, they asked you to switch projects when you stop the timer, so it could fill that time in right away for you.
  • I never use the 'My Tasks' because I don't fully understand how to integrate it to be useful to what our purposes are in Paymo. Some Youtube tutorials might be helpful
Paymo has been a useful tool for us to justify needing another administrative team member because of all the time we were able to attribute to those tasks. It would be helpful if we were able to group our events together when examining the bigger picture time spent. Being able to manipulate the data after the fact would bring my 8 recommendation to a 10.
Read Kaitlin Berg's full review
Heather Miller profile photo
May 25, 2018

Paymo Review: "Track time without thinking about it, as long as you put in the time in the front-end"

• Time tracking. As long as you set up everything correctly on the front end, you don't have to think about it again and it will run in the background.
  • Job management. Organizes jobs intuitively and can easily archive jobs.
  • Support. If you ever have an issue or questions, they have a chat feature and will usually respond in a couple hours.
  • Project list personalizing. Paymo is primarily meant for freelancers, so the only way to see how much time you've spent on a job since last recording time is to navigate through a few pages to hunt down the number. It would be easier if we could personalize the list to just show that number in the main list.
  • Not intuitive. It takes a lot of set up on the front end to get jobs where you want them to be, and some features are not where you'd think they would be to get the jobs set up to track time.
  • Huge learning curve. I've already heard a couple of my teammates look for alternatives because there was too much of a learning curve for them.
Great for tracking time if you jump around to different projects often, but a huge learning curve - especially for those who are not as flexible with technology.
Read Heather Miller's full review
Jillyn Dillon profile photo
May 25, 2018

Paymo Review: "Intuitive and organized project management suite!"

• Paymo has a great (and customizable) at-a-glance dashboard. From there I can see upcoming milestones, how my employee billable and non-billable hours stack up, how accounts receivable is doing, etc.
  • My whole team loves the Paymo desktop widget. It makes timekeeping really simple and intuitive, and it helps us stay profitable. Timekeeping is always tough, and Paymo makes it as easy as possible!
  • Paymo customer support is fantastic! They really listen to the requests that their clients make. They even have an online community set up where you can submit suggestions, discuss suggestions with other clients and Paymo employees, and see the Paymo development path.
  • The main area for improvement is exportability of data. It's tough to get full data out of Paymo. You can export most things in CSV format, but if you were to start with Paymo and want to switch to another project management and accounting platform, there would be substantial manual effort involved.
  • There also aren't as many integrations for Paymo as some of the more mainstream project management suites. This isn't necessarily Paymo's fault. It's just a function of them still being one of the "little guys." Something to be aware of before you select this platform though.
Paymo is great for project management with a distributed team. It does a wonderful job of pulling all of the management tools needed to run a business together into one intuitive package. It doesn't have a chat app included in the platform, and we wish there was Glip integration to fill that gap.
Read Jillyn Dillon's full review
Lisa Johnson profile photo
May 25, 2018

User Review: "Paymo Certified!"

• Allows users to create dedicated project to track time
  • Ability to create detailed tasks list
  • Measure actual cost of projects/activities
  • The ability to copy over a project to a new year but with zero time. It would be great if you could do that. This was our biggest issue.
Anyone looking to track project time based on tasks. It is not defined by costs, you can just see time. It is also great for trade show tracking of expenses. I highly recommend it for supervisors and project managers.
Read Lisa Johnson's full review
Neal Bauer profile photo
June 04, 2018

Review: "Paymo is a smart choice for project based businesses"

Paymo is being used across the entire organization for managing time, projects, and workflows. This platform solves new client/project on-boarding, time management for designers, accounting and invoicing for AP/AR. Additionally, we've got this connected to our payment and payroll platform as well so this one tool manages a great deal of our day to day task management.
  • Paymo is very good at consolidation of projects and has a dashboard that conveys a great deal of information in one place. At a glance you can see where artists are spending most of their hours or where client projects are starting to breach budgets.
  • Payroll reporting is super simple and we've been able to automate that task every two weeks which eliminated the need for our payroll company's exorbitant fees.
  • Having workflows created for projects allowed us to create templates for tasks which had us responding to RFP and bids much faster (ultimately resulting in more projects being won by our sales team).
  • Payment processing is limited to PayPal, Stripe, and Auth.net. Opening this platform to banks or other processing companies could save us hundreds of additional dollars a year.
  • Duplicating projects could be much simpler. We've created a 'zap' (thanks to Zapier integration) which allows us to do this for Paymo, but it should be a lot simpler to create a new project based off of a project you've already done for a client.
  • Much like the above comment, we are responsible for doing similar work for clients on a monthly retainer. Having the ability to repeat or automate projects/invoices would be a real time saver.
We've found Paymo is a great solution for our small business (>30 people) that do project based engagements. Agencies and other organizations that have a lot of moving parts could really get their money's worth from Paymo.

Paymo might be too complex for a freelancer or individual designer and lacks the automated functionality for businesses that do the same type of work over and over for an individual client.
Read Neal Bauer's full review
Lacey Piekarz profile photo
June 01, 2018

User Review: "Paymo works!"

I'm a freelance consultant providing proposal management services in the engineering/transportation space, and I use Paymo to track my time and create invoices for my clients. The main problem Paymo addresses are having a centralized, streamlined process for tracking and billing time for my many clients.
  • Intuitive time-tracker -- easy to use either to track time during work or to manually enter time later and easy to mark which hours have been billed
  • Nice-looking, professional invoices
  • Clear dashboard area
  • Being able to look at payments overall would be helpful -- there is a section on individual invoices that allows you to see payments made against those invoices, but it would be nice to have a simple list of payments, dates and invoices/clients to double-check my accounting records
  • Having some automatic/already created reports or dashboard widgets that update themselves for basic queries like "time spent this week on X project" or "hours spent on X project overall" would save time -- you can create these reports, but you have to go through the entire report-creation process for each individual query (which means you get exactly what you want to see, but sometimes I don't have time to go through this whole process)
It works well for me because my business is small enough that I don't have subcontractors and I don't need to use a full-fledged accounting system. I don't think Paymo links super easily into Quickbooks, for example (I could be wrong -- I think I've tried and found I would have to use several third-party syncing apps to make it work). But for basic time-tracking and invoicing and very basic invoice/payment tracking, Paymo does the job.
Read Lacey Piekarz's full review

Mobile Access (4)
4.3
Timesheet Tracking (6)
9.2
Budget and Expense Management (5)
6.6

About Paymo

Paymo is a modern online project management solution designed for individuals, small and medium size businesses that allows you to manage projects from start to finish. The software covers the entire process from creating a project, splitting it into tasks and assigning them to employees, to tracking work time, issuing invoices from timesheets and getting paid.

Paymo Features

Professional Services Automation Features
Has featureQuotes/estimates
Has featureInvoicing
Has featureProject & financial reporting
Does not have featureIntegration with accounting software

Paymo Screenshots

Paymo Integrations

Paymo Competitors

Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
Small Office11.95per user/per month
Business18.95per user/per month

Free version available for freelancers.

Paymo Support Options