PayScale Insight Expert is a sales intelligence software solution offered by PayScale, Inc.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/H5/zI/PVFKXESK727B.JPEGGreat to know that we pay fairly AND wellPayScale Insight is used to track pay trends across the entire company. We also use it to view, on a high level, trends in compensation. We also use it to help set pay when we take on new employees. Each year, we run a bulk report, and then discuss who should have a pay adjustment in addition to whatever merit raise they may have earned.,Easy to read reports Good visual displays Easy to add extra duties and certifications to pinpoint a pay range,Some newer roles don't have data,10,PayScale helps us more objectively choose what to offer to new employees.,Paycom,Cornerstone OnDemand, Skype, Articulate StorylineEase of use and live dataWe use PayScale Insight to help keep an active pulse on the cost of labor for our various markets. We use the tool across the US and UK. It not only helps us remain competitive to market but it also helps us ensure alignment to our comp guidelines.,I can benchmark a role for a particular labor market, and review the details to best understand how the years of experience are relative to compensation.,It would be great if there were helpful tips on the dashboard to ensure I'm utilizing the tool to its fullest capability. A simplified way should be developed to create job leveling for roles. The process seems more manual than it should.,9,While the ROI is unknown, it's clear when we have a candidate who accepts an offer that the data provided was valuable. This allows our business to grow.,Deltek VisionMaking Comp easy for all!HR uses PayScale Insight to benchmark our jobs against market data. We use it to evaluate our salary ranges to ensure they are aligned with market data; this is a review process we do every 2-3 years. We also use Insight to house employee data to evaluate internal equity, salary range penetration, etc. This system has allowed us to ensure we remain as competitive as possible in order to attract and retain good talent.,Payscale has a significant number of job profiles for which you are able to gather market data on. We have roughly 120 jobs at our company and we were able to match all but two, which are very niche to our industry and company. Insight offers amazing analytical capabilities. We have employees in other states, so Payscale helped us to create labor markets for each area in which we employ someone so to be able to ensure we are paying them accurately to where they live relative to the DC-market. This contributes to ensuring equitably and fairness with our pay practices. Insight does a great job at allowing you to ensure accurate matches. In addition to an array of titles, you can also customize your match with years of experience, education levels, supervisory duties, certifications, specialized skills, and a few other details as applicable, all that contribute to the finalized mid-point match calculated. You can also choose different industries, company sizes, and locations to match against your data. You are able to create total comp statements, which was a new offering for our employees.,I think there is always room to add more titles and niche industry data to their offerings. It would be cool to see an offering that allowed you to submit a request to have a particular title/job to their data listings and Payscale can see who else might be requesting the same kind of niche position. It would also be helpful if there was a way to store past salary data for employees.,10,Insight has reduced the amount of time spent on determining where to slot a job in our structure. In the past we used multiple paper-source salary surveys so a lot of time was spent on fingering through binders to find the best match and then trying to determine how that compared to current jobs equivalent in stature. The first time we went through this process, we did determine that changes that needed to be made to the structure did pose some negative impact on certain employees (ex. it was determined that one job was slotted in a grade higher than it should be so once we reclassified these folks, we determined that some of them were above the lowered salary range and became redlined. While this had a visually negative impact, we made efforts to promote these individuals or create development plans to get them back into a higher grade. We now have access to these very detailed market reports, which we can print and share with managers. These reports aid in helping our communication with managers be much more efficient and effective. We are able to present "evidence" if you will on where the markets places any new roles as they have designed them. It has given HR more credibility in our recommendations.,MarketPayReview and revamping Compensation with this amazing tool!We're using PayScale company wide to benchmark, grade, and review market comparators in similar roles across the organization. We have PayScale and Mercer data cuts and we've had very good success finding matches for the majority of our roles to date. The ability to bring the grading process in-house has been a great cost saving opportunity for us as we work towards compensation calibration and pay for performance. We're able to build our compensation strategy on a solid foundation that was not possible before due to the cost of outsourcing the market comparison function.,Their customer service is fantastic. I absolutely adore my Relationship Success Manager, I still have a great relationship with the Account Executive that brought us on board. The tool has some hiccups but overall, of the three tools I demo'ed, it is the most user friendly. PayScale is transparent about the issues they are experiencing and what is on the horizon for improvements of the tool. We all expect some things to go a little wrong or not be the as user friendly as WE THINK it should be, and I appreciate that PayScale acknowledges that and is transparent about what's in the works for improvements along the way. I like the ability to customize pay structures, create favorites, and create new jobs on the fly. I've really enjoyed working in the tool and I'm excited to get our data cleaned up so that we can use all PayScale reporting and dashboards have to offer.,The data export is a little wonky and I tend to have regular issues with it. I report them each time and I get honest, timely answers. I am able to snip straight from the tool, but I think it would be more efficient for me and external users of the information if I were able to consistently export through the tool a great output. I wish we could set up a regular file feed and wouldn't have to do manual uploads.,10,Since implementing PayScale we've been able to do full department reviews of job descriptions, job grading, and job creation without incurring a large out of pocket expense with a comp consultant doing the job grading for us. We have had a growing list of "hot jobs" that leaders have asked us to review for pay inequities and market alignment. We've been able to make the necessary changes within our organization to keep us aligned with the market, or prove that we are aligned and that we do not need to incur additional salary expense for roles that are already right on price.,Salary.com and payfactors,Bullhorn CRM, Ceridian Dayforce, InnotasAn essential compensation resourceWe used Payscale Insight to help us price and benchmark our jobs. Our goal in using the software and tools was to ensure that we were paying and/or offering current and potential employees a fair market rate. While we focused our use within the HR department in generating reports and benchmarking, we used the data across the organization where needed. This allowed us to ensure internal equity while keeping competitive with what is going on in the market. We were also able to address any transparency concerns with our employees by revealing how we used data to drive our compensation practices.,Providing data so that you can ensure you are paying your employees fair and competitively with the market. You are able to make data-driven, confident decisions about compensation that enhance retention and trust between employee and employer. Payscale's customer service team is wonderful and always available. Moreover, they are often open to providing more customized solutions if your need is a bit different than the standard package. Research into multiple labour markets/locations is a useful tool as we often have to account for differences across our office locations, which can sometimes cross borders and large geographical areas. This ensures that we don't take a blanket approach to compensation and can account for regional differences where required.,Job titles can prove to be a challenge as they sometimes do not connect as well as you'd hope. This may require some extra work on our part to fit our needs into what Payscale provides. Generally, this is a small concern, but it is still something that should be updated to keep with some of the changes in titles/roles. It would be great if Payscale offered an online tool/area for watching recorded webinars or training sessions rather than having to do it live. As others have mentioned, with a busy schedule, it is sometimes challenging to find the time to watch live. Having a database would help ensure that the training can be accessed at any time. Options to perhaps break down some of the data in reports to provide to others who are less versed in the contents of the report and the overall system. I'd prefer to have to explain less of what is presented and let the data speak for itself where possible.,9,We wanted to ensure that we were able to support our compensation strategy and decisions with verifiable and trusted market data, and Payscale Insight has allowed us to do that. Now, compensation conversations with employees are more effective and transparent, enhancing our engagement and retention. Additionally, we have been able to better train our managers to understand our compensation philosophy and how we can leverage it to improve performance and set effective goals for our employees. Payscale Insight has become our main source for compensation data, eliminating the significant time investment it would previously take to bring it all together, review and make a decision.,ADP Workforce Now and Namely,SurveyMonkey, Ceridian Dayforce, BambooHR
PayScale Insight

PayScale Insight Reviews

PayScale Insight
Filter 18 vetted PayScale Insight reviews and ratings
July 13, 2018

PayScale Insight Review: "Great to know that we pay fairly AND well"

• Easy to read reports
  • Good visual displays
  • Easy to add extra duties and certifications to pinpoint a pay range
  • Some newer roles don't have data
PayScale is great when you want to sync what the current pay rate is to what the market is indicating the trend of compensation is. It isn't the best for keeping all employee detail in the system. (It doesn't really help to add performance data in as that's also kept in our performance system, and multiple sections for scores can't be compared).
July 24, 2018

PayScale Insight Review: "Ease of use and live data"

• I can benchmark a role for a particular labor market, and review the details to best understand how the years of experience are relative to compensation.
  • It would be great if there were helpful tips on the dashboard to ensure I'm utilizing the tool to its fullest capability.
  • A simplified way should be developed to create job leveling for roles. The process seems more manual than it should.
For live data as to what the market is paying, Payscale is great!
Stephanie Opoku, SHRM-CP, CIR profile photo
April 03, 2018

PayScale Insight Review: "Making Comp easy for all!"

• Payscale has a significant number of job profiles for which you are able to gather market data on. We have roughly 120 jobs at our company and we were able to match all but two, which are very niche to our industry and company.
  • Insight offers amazing analytical capabilities. We have employees in other states, so Payscale helped us to create labor markets for each area in which we employ someone so to be able to ensure we are paying them accurately to where they live relative to the DC-market. This contributes to ensuring equitably and fairness with our pay practices.
  • Insight does a great job at allowing you to ensure accurate matches. In addition to an array of titles, you can also customize your match with years of experience, education levels, supervisory duties, certifications, specialized skills, and a few other details as applicable, all that contribute to the finalized mid-point match calculated. You can also choose different industries, company sizes, and locations to match against your data.
  • You are able to create total comp statements, which was a new offering for our employees.
  • I think there is always room to add more titles and niche industry data to their offerings. It would be cool to see an offering that allowed you to submit a request to have a particular title/job to their data listings and Payscale can see who else might be requesting the same kind of niche position.
  • It would also be helpful if there was a way to store past salary data for employees.
If you have a large employee base and you are trying to remain competitive from a compensation perspective, this tool is well suited to help you accomplish this goal. If you are not a comp expert, they have experts on hand that can help you through projects or just answer basic questions.
Read Stephanie Opoku, SHRM-CP, CIR's full review
Kelli Hathman profile photo
March 09, 2018

PayScale Insight: "Review and revamping Compensation with this amazing tool!"

• Their customer service is fantastic. I absolutely adore my Relationship Success Manager, I still have a great relationship with the Account Executive that brought us on board.
  • The tool has some hiccups but overall, of the three tools I demo'ed, it is the most user friendly. PayScale is transparent about the issues they are experiencing and what is on the horizon for improvements of the tool. We all expect some things to go a little wrong or not be the as user friendly as WE THINK it should be, and I appreciate that PayScale acknowledges that and is transparent about what's in the works for improvements along the way.
  • I like the ability to customize pay structures, create favorites, and create new jobs on the fly. I've really enjoyed working in the tool and I'm excited to get our data cleaned up so that we can use all PayScale reporting and dashboards have to offer.
  • The data export is a little wonky and I tend to have regular issues with it. I report them each time and I get honest, timely answers. I am able to snip straight from the tool, but I think it would be more efficient for me and external users of the information if I were able to consistently export through the tool a great output.
  • I wish we could set up a regular file feed and wouldn't have to do manual uploads.
I think for a very large organization (I came from +18k benefit eligible employees) it would be very difficult to keep this tool organized because of the manual uploads. It seems to work very well for us, at less than 500, and there are a lot of perks to having the flexibility to change the uploads as we see fit.
Read Kelli Hathman's full review
Matt LeMaire, B.A., M.A. profile photo
February 26, 2018

PayScale Insight Review: "An essential compensation resource"

• Providing data so that you can ensure you are paying your employees fair and competitively with the market. You are able to make data-driven, confident decisions about compensation that enhance retention and trust between employee and employer.
  • Payscale's customer service team is wonderful and always available. Moreover, they are often open to providing more customized solutions if your need is a bit different than the standard package.
  • Research into multiple labour markets/locations is a useful tool as we often have to account for differences across our office locations, which can sometimes cross borders and large geographical areas. This ensures that we don't take a blanket approach to compensation and can account for regional differences where required.
  • Job titles can prove to be a challenge as they sometimes do not connect as well as you'd hope. This may require some extra work on our part to fit our needs into what Payscale provides. Generally, this is a small concern, but it is still something that should be updated to keep with some of the changes in titles/roles.
  • It would be great if Payscale offered an online tool/area for watching recorded webinars or training sessions rather than having to do it live. As others have mentioned, with a busy schedule, it is sometimes challenging to find the time to watch live. Having a database would help ensure that the training can be accessed at any time.
  • Options to perhaps break down some of the data in reports to provide to others who are less versed in the contents of the report and the overall system. I'd prefer to have to explain less of what is presented and let the data speak for itself where possible.
If you're looking to price or benchmark the roles in your organization, Payscale Insight is a great tool to have on your side. You are able to ensure that you use updated market data and can be confident that you are making an informed compensation decision. However, in situations where the individual or individuals using Payscale Insight have to consistently translate the compensation data to those not well-versed in compensation practices, it can prove challenging. If you already have a well-managed and effective compensation strategy in place, Payscale Insight might not be the best investment overall. With that said, it's important to be proactive, so it might prove useful to consider how to future-proof your compensation practices/data with the use of Payscale.
Read Matt LeMaire, B.A., M.A.'s full review
February 12, 2018

PayScale Insight Review: "Great Reports and Good Insight"

We used PayScale to get market salary data to help benchmark industry and area salary information. This helped us see where our pay structure fit.
  • PayScale has been great for our organization for benchmarking market salaries and wages for our positions.
  • The service was great as well, in that we were able to send our job descriptions over to have our jobs matched with the market.
  • The market reports have been extremely helpful and are easy to understand, and being able to see a breakdown between total cash, base salary, and bonus has been great.
  • We didn't get a match for all of our positions without having to modify things a bit. That's reality, though, as we have some unique jobs that we understood might be difficult to benchmark going into it.
  • The service is a-la-carte, so our subscription didn't provide us with unlimited salary data.
PayScale is a good fit when you have in mind exactly how many jobs you want to benchmark and get data for. If you have several jobs and you're looking for salary information on all of them, the price will increase exponentially.
Jason Magill profile photo
July 20, 2017

PayScale Insight Review: "Compensation Data that Makes a Difference"

We use PayScale within the human resources department to provide compensation data to our organization's decision makers and to support ongoing pay strategies. It's also useful for comparing positions to find the right description that meets the role and expected pay range. It allows us to address pay issues on an organization-wide and individual basis.
  • PayScale provides us with up-to-date data to help make compensation decisions for our organization.
  • PayScale's team is not only knowledgeable in their product, they also have insight into best practices and strategies.
  • Integration with our HRIS would be ideal.
  • Providing more focused resources to provide to senior leaders who make most of the final calls.
PayScale is particularly suited for mid-sized organizations which don't have the typical resources of an enterprise solution. The setup for jobs and structures provide several areas for customization, such as niche licensing, that may affect compensation. It's also helpful with better defining existing positions that have further developed over time. For example, we just transitioned a job class to a new assistant manager class partially based on the descriptions provided by PayScale.
Read Jason Magill's full review
Criston Menz profile photo
July 17, 2017

PayScale Insight Review: "PayScale: Be the Hero of your Comp Program"

We are a rural company and had many issues finding real time data to make compensation decisions. PayScale solved that problem for us. By providing them our job descriptions, we can get accurate - real time data within minutes. It has definitely made us more confident in our compensation decisions, whether it be a new hire or an existing employee.
  • Provides up to 3 different market data points
  • Customer service is amazing - feel as though they are part of your company
  • Real time accurate data
  • I am uber satisfied with the system and when I am having technical issues, I simply call or email. They are always quick to respond.
PayScale makes a difference for quick decision making and validating conversations with employees or future employees that want to see how we arrive at our compensation structure.
Read Criston Menz's full review
Julie Mathis, PHR, SHRM-CP profile photo
July 11, 2017

PayScale Insight Review: "PayScale is a partner in business, not just another software."

Currently we use Insight to price new positions and for annual increases for our employees. Insight is only used by the HR department, however Crew is used companywide during our annual increase cycle. One of the best benefits of using PayScale is the ease of access to salary data. It eliminates the need to research multiple wage surveys when either pricing a position or when verifying that your current salaries are competitive.
  • The data is always up to date. This is extremely helpful when trying to price a hot job.
  • Customer service is diligent. Some jobs are niche jobs which can be hard to find a price. The customer service team has always been extremely helpful in these situations and easily help me find the right match.
  • The ability to search across multiple labor markets is great. We have 4 locations in the USA and there are times when I need to research whether or not to place a certain position in different regions. Having the ability to research in Ad Hoc to determine what makes sense for our business is very helpful.
  • Pre-recorded webinars on product updates would be great. I know they offer webinars, but many times they do not work into my schedule so I miss them. If they had a section on the site for training on product updates or new features that I could view on my own time I think would help me utilize the tool even better.
  • The ability to add-in or take away elements in the EE comp report. Some things are just not relevant to a company. I know a new release recently came out on the EE comp report and I am not a fluent with it as I once was (this is where the pre-recorded webinar or a learning byte would be helpful), but previously there were 3 versions of the EE comp report you could use. If I could add-in or drop-out sections to customize it to my company it would be nice.
Because we have 4 locations, PayScale was a perfect fit for us. I was able to set up labor markets for those locations which helped me make sure that our wages were competitive with each market. Initially I signed up with PayScale to complete a wage analysis of my current workforce. Since then the relationship has evolved to using Crew for our annual increase cycle.
Read Julie Mathis, PHR, SHRM-CP's full review
Asher Primrose profile photo
June 30, 2017

PayScale Insight Review: ""No Brainer" purchase for small and large companies!"

We use it across the organization. We use it to ensure we have valid salary ranges/bands, pay competitive market rates, set pay for new hires and more.
  • On demand access to very detailed and custom salary reports
  • Easily see where we are paying under or over market
  • Access to compensation experts
  • Access to compensation management training
I think it works for all sizes of organizations and the price for the services pays for itself in not overpaying for just one new employee.
Read Asher Primrose's full review
Liz D'Aloia profile photo
July 11, 2017

PayScale Insight Review: "Welcome to Comptopia"

My clients use PayScale Insight to either act as a compensation analyst or to supplement that role.
  • Data continues to improve daily.
  • Analytics and reports improve all the time.
  • Employee updates are easy.
  • Customer support is amazing.
  • Keep up with changing titles in the workplace.
Perfect for competitive pay determination and analysis.
Read Liz D'Aloia's full review
Ariel Lopez profile photo
February 17, 2017

PayScale Insight Review: "Payscale- Incredibly helpful for providing fair salaries"

Currently, my team utilizes PayScale for configuring salaries for new hires and also to figure out increases and promotion salaries for our team. This has been very helpful since it takes into consideration the persons expertise, years of experience, education, management experience, and certifications. In addition, PayScale also pulls info for our industry and size of company. This makes the information and recommendations fair and balanced.
  • PayScale is easy to use and walks you through the criteria that you need to input on the candidate.
  • This tool also allows you to save reports and information for future use.
  • The data that PayScale has access to is so incredibly helpful, it really helps to ensure that you are paying your staff correctly.
  • Sometimes it can be difficult to find a niche job title. Often you have to find another title that is closely related in order to pull data.
  • It would be nice to be able to view resources for bonus info per industry and variable pay, right now this is not something that is easily searchable.
  • Access to online training is only provided through live interaction with a rep. I sometimes like being able to read through materials or have an online sandbox.
PayScale is great for figuring out the correct compensation for new employees and taking into account their experience and everything they bring to the table. It is also great for creating salary increase forecasting for your entire team. Having access to trends and what other companies in our market are offering so that we can stay competitive is incredibly helpful.
Read Ariel Lopez's full review

PayScale Insight Scorecard Summary

About PayScale Insight

PayScale uses fresh data and smart software to construct and manage your comp strategy, while creating a culture of transparency by empowering managers to communicate pay with employees.

According to the vendor, since 2002, PayScale has built and optimized the largest salary database. This database is monitored and maintained by a team of data scientists who collect, clean, and validate millions of pieces of data on an ongoing basis to ensure you have the most up to date information.

PayScale Insight Features

Has featureMatch jobs by unique skills
Has featureConfigurable Employee Comp Report
Has featureStructure and strategy to manage employee base pay and model what-if scenarios
Has featureRobust analytics to understand market movement, discover hot jobs, and identify flight risks

PayScale Insight Integrations