Postman

Postman Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Kerry Haupt | TrustRadius Reviewer
Postman is a platform where I can provide the API to my consumers so that they can better discover, explore, and share APIs with one another without any breakdown. through its public network, I am capable of providing the services to my consumer sector and for my organization It has provided the facility of the private APU network due to which we sharing our work and carry on with a flow without any security threats.
  • It has opened a door for me to explore more out of it, as it is associated with so many APIs that I never felt any difficulty in finding the right API template, which are well organized and easily available.
  • It is very secure to use and provides great services which are user-friendly.
  • Due to this software I have got rid of the excessive emails and the slack channels, Now I am using my own private API and even it give me an option to produce my personal Postman’s API Builder from its Private API Network and this features has shared my excessive workload.
  • It is quite technical and complicated too.
  • I think the reporting features needs to be modified so we won’t be able to miss important features.
  • It does not tackle efficiently the SOAK APIS and it is limited in the area testing as well.
I consider [Postman] a universal platform every business type can get much benefit from it. In addition it is very easy to configure and it handles the URLs in most effective way. It keeps users up to date by its efficient alert functions.
Art Bukowski | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have a website based on micro services. Sometimes we are not sure why the system works in the way it works so we need to connect to API to get "raw" info. In most cases that solves the problem or gives a background about where to look at.
  • Shared API connections.
  • Building collection of API calls.
  • So universal.
  • Would be great to have "simple UI" for business users.
If you need to connect to number API to get better understanding of the situation you need Postman. It needs some time for a "business user" to understand the process, but it's still a ways faster than asking someone for help.
It is used by the whole organization for testing live and offline api's. We deploy refined code to production with the help of postman.
  • API TESTING
  • API PRODUCTION MODE TESTING
  • REQUESTS
  • should not save every call
  • UI is good but need little improvement
Awesome at calling api's or putting requests.
There is not any major issue i have detected in postman while using.
Postman is used to verify and build API in our company. It's used in three departments- back-end, front-end and QA. Connecting server side back-end logic with front-end and vice versa. Currently, we are team of 8 developers (a mixture of above 3 departments) which are using Postman as our daily go-to API visualization tool.
  • Ease of access.
  • Supports multiple header, raw data and param options.
  • Response can also be visualized in different forms.
  • Response code can be copied.
  • Full API code can be imported in almost all major languages.
  • Software stuck sometimes when there are lots of database API.
  • Not so beginner friendly, I needed help when I first started to use Postman.
As a new[bie] to software engineering, specially back-end, I was [not] very [knowledgeable] about how API worked and how to integrate it. The first major blockage of my career was, "How does API work?" One of my colleague screen shared his PC, and let me go through how API works by demonstrating it on Postman. Since then, my life became much more easier.
September 17, 2020

Postman Delivers

We write and maintain several WCF applications and integrate with WCF services from other teams and departments. Postman has been great for testing method calls for parameters sent and data being returned. We use it for testing these services and for testing other APIs that we're considering using, just to make sure we're getting the data we expect to get.
  • Easy to configure, just point to the service URL and you're good to start.
  • Easy to set up parameters on method calls.
  • Limited reporting: it would be nice if we could export a log file of failed calls.
  • Not a ton of automation: would be really useful for QA/integration testing.
Postman's a tool that's pretty easy to set up and get started with, and it's very handy for testing API calls for internal and external APIs. This is invaluable when troubleshooting issues with calling the API methods or just confirming the team's understanding of the API methods involved. Teams that don't do much integration with APIs or REST services probably won't see much benefit from Postman.
I was able to find answers to my questions in the Postman FAQ/forums. I didn't contact Postman support so I can't speak to that.
March 12, 2020

My review on Postman

I am a software developer working for an enterprise-level company. I work on developing software using Java and Kotlin for developing restful web services. In order to test those web services, we use Postman for testing the behavior of services. In my organization, most of the developers use Postman for testing purposes. It is a very good tool to use, as it can be understood very easily and supports different formats like JSON XML.
  • It has a group environment through which different teams can integrate and work together.
  • Easy to switch between different modes i.e JSON XML. Authenticating using different protocols is easy.
  • Pricing is also very comfortable.
  • Enterprise version is easy to setup and use but the number of requests is limited. I feel it would be great if there were more requests.
  • Pricing for enterprise should be less.
  • I don't have any more complaints as it is very good tool.
I don't think there are very good alternates to Postman, as of now at least. It is the industry-standard tool and is very easy to use. I recommend every developer start using Postman because it will reduce development time significantly. I don't have complaints apart from that.
I barely got a chance to interact with customer care because I've never had any problem with it.
February 14, 2020

Great API testing tool

Lasha Jojua | TrustRadius Reviewer
Postman is used by several departments: QA, Dev, IT monitoring. Each of them is having their use cases by checking performance and response times during development, testing, or on production environment. Also, teams are connected around one tool, and data sharing or cross-checks for SLI/SLO parameters get easier. It can be integrated into the CI/CD pipeline.
  • Integration was possible everywhere I tried.
  • Sharing option is limited between the team
  • Its not possible to test more than 1 API simultaneously
With using Postman, it's possible to create different types of API requests: POST, PUT, UPGRADE, GET, DELETE, get data, which is crucial before deployment. Also, it supports the following response types: HTML, XML, raw data, Js, JSON. Dev team can get coded APIs availability and performance data during development. Easy to integrate in CI pipeline, that automates performance quality checks flow and accelerates the process.
When we started implementation, there were some questions regarding integration. The support response was for 12h, and we got a detailed explanation about what the team asked. They are ready to help and share knowledge.
Postman is used by our software development teams, quality assurance teams, as well as our site reliability team. We use it to test API endpoints that we develop, as well as for calling APIs that we interact daily with, such as Microsoft Azure's API. We also use it for building collections of API endpoints that you can call for a specific API. We circulate the collection to teams who need to call that API so they can get onboarded with the API quickly.
  • Execute HTTP requests seamlessly using a lightweight client.
  • Configure HTTP request headers and body payloads easily.
  • The user interface is complicated, especially when you need to dig into one of the many settings.
  • I don't know where else Postman can perform better. So far, I haven't had many issues with Postman other than the learning curve.
Getting started with Postman is relatively easy, which is what I like about the software. Digging into one of the many settings presents a bit of a learning curve, but it is nothing too tricky. I like the collection features because I don't need to dig into documentation on what endpoints are available for a specific API. Or what configurations I need to make to call a particular endpoint; I load the collections for an API I'm interested in, select the endpoint I am interested in and configure the minimum that is required for that endpoint to make a successful call.
I have not had any issues with receiving support for Postman. Documentation is readily available online.
Postman is being used by our software development team to test multiple APIs we develop internally. Postman allows the development team to see responses to our APIs for troubleshooting purposes. It also allows us to create API documentation on the fly, easily, organically through the process of testing API endpoints.
  • Submit API requests and view responses without the need for a browser or browser extensions.
  • Archive and group API requests by type, application, or any way you see fit.
  • The documentation produced is useful, but it could provide more information.
  • Sharing the documentation could be made easier.
Postman lends itself to testing APIs. Teams that develop web applications using RESTful APIs would benefit greatly from using Postman and its features, that are designed for repeatability and troubleshooting. Developers can install extensions into browsers that allow them to see, effectively, the same things Postman does, but it would be difficult to find a one-stop-shop of features specifically designed to see the interaction of user requests with the web application. Postman is a must if you're developing a web application that leverages an API in any way.
I've never had a need to request support from Postman.
Joshua Cariño | TrustRadius Reviewer
Postman is our go-to Application for testing all our Rest APIs. It's very userfriendly and has most of the features we look for as devs in testing our APIs. It is also the only testing application we were introduced to even in our Bootcamp as newly hired Associate Software Engineers the last year and no doubt of its capabilities as the whole organization is using it.
  • Send Rest Request easily.
  • Modify different types of parameters with ease.
  • I hope they could develop a trace log like that of Apigee Edge where I could visually see what happened as the request gets processed.
  • Add the auto Beatify or AutoCorrect formats of JSON texts.
Postman is very helpful in testing Rest APIs as request could be made easier with the very easy to use User Interface. Even QAs use this for testing our APIs as a base for determining whether the API works or just due to integration issues.
Never used any support from Postman really, as most if any issues we encountered could be found on forums on the internet anyway.
Gary Davis | TrustRadius Reviewer
Postman is used by several developers in the organization. This program is one of my primary tools in the development of web services/APIs and also in calling external web services. Prior to actually programming calls to external web services, this tool lets you try out calls passing parameters and viewing responses. Tweak as necessary, including authorization, and once satisfied, craft your software to do the same.
  • Issue GET and POST calls to external APIs to verify headers and responses.
  • Verify developed internal APIs.
  • Build a library collection of useful API calls to be used as needed.
  • The history of previous calls is easily searched to pull up calls to be modified and repeated.
  • It is difficult to move a folder from one collection to another.
  • It may be necessary to subscribe to the professional edition to get needed functionality. So far, I have been able to use the free edition to do a substantial amount of work. For example, sharing with teams with large collections would require the paid edition.
  • Switching from team back to individual may result in lost collections that were archived. Export the archive before you do this so you can import it. this area can be confusing.
Postman can run a series of API calls to verify your APIs are working as expected. This functionality is very flexible.

Collections of calls can be shared with teams for effective collaboration.

If your application has some sort of error in the API call, use the browser developer tool (generally F12) to view the call and response in the Network tab. Reproduce the call in Postman to reproduce the unexpected result. Fix your application and re-test with Postman. Iterate until the application behaves as it should.
I did have a case recently where I had to contact support on recovering lost collections and I quickly received a response with details on how to recover (which I did, successfully). In addition, documentation and community forums were very good.
January 22, 2020

My Postman Delivers...

Sharmin Promi | TrustRadius Reviewer
It has been used by the whole organization but mostly by my department.
  • Fast API calls can be made for http protocol and restful service prospective.
  • Free and open source tool.
  • Tool has limited automation capability.
  • Tool has limited report generation capability.
It resolves fast delivery of http calls and API calls and testing team. Many cases on CI/CD env it resolves fast tracking for API calls. Full application flow from a restful service prospective. It is one of the great tools for API testing. It has limited reporting capability and very limited capacity for DB connection.
It is an open source tool so not much liability and dependency involved. Thus support is limited. Also due to some limitations of the tool, online user support is also very limited.
We use postman during development for testing our REST APIs or external APIs and also as a test runner for our automated tests. We have some features where we need to test an entire flow of a particular feature we built. This can be done very easily via postman collections where we can feed a large number of test cases and automate it using javascript. The tests can be run in a very pragmatic manner and can remove the need to do manual QA in many cases.
  • Handling different request types and end points
  • Test runner that can be used to automate test flows
  • The UI can be confusing at times.
  • It takes a while to get to know the advanced features.
Almost every developer I know of uses Postman in some way or another. In small teams, Postman can reduce the development time by just sharing the Postman collections alone. Because the specs can be laid out, and tasks can be distributed between developers by managers or leads by merely writing down the requests and test cases, and developers can work on passing the test cases.
Much like a TDD framework, but Postman makes it so much faster and with less code. The feature to convert requests to code in different languages is another fantastic feature as you could get away with writing less code, especially during the initial prototyping phase. I can't think of a scenario where it might not be appropriate, but it may not be suited to very large teams.
It is a comprehensive tool and has so many features that I am still learning to use. It has brought a lot of impact in my development time.
Postman is used by our Development team to test and debug APIs. This allows us to begin testing earlier in our projects than we would have been able to otherwise, which saves time and money on programming projects. It also reduces the ramp-up time required for new employees to become productive when working with our existing codebase.
  • Intuitive interface - Postman's desktop client is well designed and easy to use.
  • Collaboration - Coworkers can share a work space and work together from any location.
  • Configuration - Postman offers hundreds of settings for extensive customization.
  • Desktop based - While it's possible to run Postman on a phone or tablet, it works best on desktop environments.
  • Data analysis - It would be helpful to be able to run more data analysis directly within the tool. Exporting isn't always as straightforward as it could be.
Postman works great for development teams of any size. It is especially helpful for programmers who regularly work with REST APIs and want to reduce friction in the development process. The pricing is relatively affordable, which makes it a good option even for organizations with a limited budget.

Teams that don't use REST APIs or develop for the web are less likely to benefit from Postman.
There is a lot of in-depth documentation for Postman available online, including detailed guides with screenshots and videos. They provide example APIs for new users to explore while learning how to use the tool. Generally, bugs in the client are quickly addressed through frequent free updates. Community and professional support options are available - most of the time, the free/community level support is adequate.
Our platform uses a lot of microservices. It has a lot of REST API for various purposes such as to get the information about what task is being currently handled by the CI, is there something which seems to be failing, etc. In order to address all of these problems, we use Postman to query the current state of our microservices.
  • Ability to store commands
  • Integrates with Jenkins
  • Faster bug fixes
If you are planning to run different test cases on different environments and it is kind of a repetitive job, I believe it is always better to use Postman since it just gives you an amazing, resilient UI. Its integration with Jenkins makes it easier to execute tests within the build systems itself. Also, they have a Newman feature which enables running Postman form systems that dont have GUI.
I use it to make test API calls to my own APIs and 3rd party APIs.
  • It allows us to share API calls.
  • Easy to create test API calls.
  • Easy to install.
  • Easier to share to non-workspace users.
Postman is great for testing API calls and diagnosing the results.
There is a lot of support out there for this utility.
Anthony Aziz | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Postman to directly develop and test our APIs. We use it to easily run requests against our own API features in development, run test suites for automated testing, interact and test external web services, and perform maintenance tasks on our APIs where a UI isn't required.
  • Shared team library
  • Save collections of common requests
  • Set up mock servers and mock requests for testing
  • Set up test criteria and scripts
  • UI can be a bit cumbersome
  • Test features is not as fully fleshed out as other automated testing tools
Postman is extremely useful when developing any web-based service, such as RESTful APIs. Particularly when you need to repeat requests, either while iterating overdevelopment, or when doing automated testing. Postman doesn't have any browser rendering, so it is not suitable for testing or mocking front-end UIs. However it is a great tool for bypassing these UIs to test the backing service.
Postman is used as API testing tool. It is used in whole organization. Postman is very user friendly and also helps in developing,debugging, and publishing APIs. Postman helps developers to create workspace and save all requests. Overall it's a great tool.
  • API testing is great feature.
  • It provides an import option so we can easily import using Swagger or paste requested content.
  • Sharing is so easy. You can create an account and use it on the easy to use system.
  • Sharing across team is a wonderful feature. The whole team can easily view the same set of API.
  • GUI is easy to use.
  • Free version provides limited sharing across the team. If the free version can upgrade the sharing limit, then it would be more helpful.
  • Syncing of changes sometimes does not work well with me and I have to restart some time.
Postman is well suited for all developers to test API. It can be used for automation API testing as well. It's a good place to store all API and share with the team. Useful to developers for debugging.
Rao Tahir | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am a software engineer and lead a developers team at my organization. In my organization, we develop lots of APIs and web services on a daily basis for APIs and web services testing. We use Postman to test small APIs for individuals especially. I like it because it makes the development of APIs and web services easy and fast.
  • Powerful user interface
  • Transparent processes: we can see what happens throughout from management to executive level.
  • In my team, everyone is accountable for their deliveries.
  • We can't test WSDL. Postman needs further improvement in this field too.
  • I don't see any other cons in the Postman.
Postman helped me to create dummy backends for my web app without having to worry about having an actual backend while working on my front-end. It helps in creating API structures by allowing us to save responses for a callout request and debug all my APIs via postman smoothly and easily.
Taylor Morgan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Postman is used by various departments who develop and maintain web applications and APIs. It provides an easy-to-use REST client that is also deeply customizable, allowing API endpoints to be tested and debugged with test requests and payloads.
  • Fine-tuned control over HTTP requests and various payloads.
  • Quick access to headers, responses, and debugging information.
  • Request grouping, history, and repeated request management.
  • The interface can be a little overwhelming and clunky, especially for newer users.
  • It is geared towards more complex situations, and the controls can be overkill for a simple request.
  • If you have a tendency to have dozens of browser tabs open, you will be overwhelmed with tabs in Postman as well.
Postman is perfect for testing various HTTP requests with its quick and deep ability for manipulating the headers and payload. This makes it ideal for testing and debugging APIs and even simple web applications. Postman offers various payload types (raw text, JSON, form-data, etc.) and customizable HTTP headers. Requests are sorted into tabs, saved in collections, and recorded into a history -- all of which are helpful, but which can also quickly grow unwieldy if one isn't careful.

Postman is flexible enough that you can even use it for less typical requests (i.e. SOAP), but it clearly shines at basic REST requests and offers enough fine tuning to see what's happening "under the hood" of an HTTP exchange. (For instance, when authorization headers were being lost in a recent project, Postman allowed me to disable automatic following of 301 redirects, revealing an invisible but important step in the request.)

There is a wealth of advanced tools which I haven't even begun to explore, but individuals on other teams have used it for more automated situations. The vast majority of its users in our organization are using just the basics for simple requests.
Ilyas Bakouch | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Postman every day to build and test our internal and public APIs.
  • Creating collections of requests and sharing them between the team.
  • Keeping the history of previously run requests.
  • Monitoring APIs using collections.
  • The way saving multiple collections is handled.
It is well suited for automatically testing APIs, generating APIs documentation, and monitoring.
We regularly use Postman to ensure that our API that we offer customers is working correctly. It is able to quickly and easily format requests and add/remove parameters. It also helps me to show people in other parts of the business who aren't familiar with APIs what JSON APIs are and get a basic understanding of how they work.
  • Saves credentials so you don't have to type them in over and over
  • Allows you to quickly and easily add/remove parameters
  • Enables you to see the results in a well formatted, human readable way.
  • I honestly don't have much to improve on here. Postman meets my admittedly simple needs extremely well.
I like that it's very easy to use. I've been able to show people across the company and in non-technical roles how to use it so that they can gain experience using APIs and understanding how they function. That knowledge helps them troubleshoot issues with clients rather than having to escalate issues up to the engineering department every time they arise.
I have yet to need to contact Postman's support team. I have not heard any complaints about it from anyone else using it but I can't say from personal experience how they rate overall in that category.
We use Postman where I work extensively for API testing, development, and automation. We also use it for third-party external documentation where we can host automatically generated collections from our Swagger.json on our public developer documentation site, which allows our partners to have easy-to-access examples of all of our endpoints, which is great! Currently, Postman is only used by our technology department, but I suppose anyone in the company that needs an API testing tool could use it.
  • Clear and concise interface for the 'entire' http request lifecycle.
  • Lots of compatibility and support for various protocols, headers, request bodies, etc.
  • Good team sharing ability if you use the paid version.
  • The test runner, and the environment variable hosting is a HUGE time saver.
  • The whole concept of 'collections', creating, saving, importing, exporting, is very well done.
  • Sometimes the UI features that are cool are hard to find, hidden behind menus, etc.
  • The test runner, while incredibly powerful, has some features in it (like saving variable outputs from one request, etc.) that are not obvious, and feel a little hacky to implement.
  • The environment variable configuration is a huge time-saver but could be streamlined by having a better system of 'common' global vars, etc.
Honestly, if you're a developer, and working with any type of API-based communication model, then Postman is a huge help to your workflow. Obviously if your platform didn't have any type of client/server model, or you aren't interacting with third party API's, then Postman would be a totally ineffective piece of software to have on your team.
Hands down the best API development tool. After writing any API call, I use Postman to debug and make sure everything is working correctly. Postman is very easy to use and user-friendly. Once someone told me to use it and showed me how things work, I got up to speed within a few days. I was able to automate some of the calls and tests. It's one of those tools that you don't think you need until you use it and realize how much it makes your life easier. Try it out! I highly recommend it if you're an API developer. I tried other apps and this is the most rounded tool.
  • Testing.
  • Automated testing for API calls.
  • Easy to use and user-friendly.
  • More guides would be helpful because sometimes it takes me a while to figure out something.
Postman is one of those tools that does exactly what I want it to do with some more functionalities. For example, if you wrote API calls and wanted to test them, Postman would show you both the request and the response in a very nice view, and if there were an error it would tell you what it is.
We use Postman to test through several of our integrations and custom developed web services. It's been an invaluable tool as we work through expanding into micro services and other areas. With the tool, it allows us a quick way to develop a payload as well as share our projects with other team mates.
  • Collaboration is easy with teammates.
  • The interface is straight forward.
  • Scripting the project to other languages is a convenient feature.
  • Documentation could be a little bit better organized.
  • They could provide some common examples.
  • The project organizer needs work from a UX perspective.
Postman is perfect for testing and developing web services in a normal or enterprise environment. Using it as a client to perform the consumer experience is optimal. What it is not good for is a tool to generate code, or for automation, as it is built specifically for testing and debugging from a development point of view.

Postman Scorecard Summary

API Management (7)
API access control (25)
Rate limits and usage policies (17)
API usage data (16)
API user onboarding (19)
API versioning (18)
Usage billing and payments (7)
API monitoring and logging (24)

What is Postman?

Postman, headquartered in San Francisco, offers their flagship API development and management free to small teams and independent developers. Higher tiers (Postman Pro and Postman Enterprise) support API management, as well as team collaboration, extended support and other advanced features.

Postman Pricing

More Pricing Information

SaaS Editions Pricing
Pricing DetailsTerms
Free$0.00
Team$15.00 ($12.00)per user per month (billed annually)
Business$30.00 ($24.00)per user per month (billed annually)
EnterpriseContact Sales