Course authoring (39)
Mobile friendly (39)
Learning reporting & analytics (38)
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Schoology Learning, and make your voice heard!
Contact sales team
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Schoology, now a PowerSchool Unified Classroom product, is a learning management system (LMS). Schoology’s platform is built specifically for the needs of K-12 students, teachers, and administrators. Schoology aims to combine as many parts of the learning process as possible into a single platform. By doing this they aim to simplify the learning experience for students, parents, and teachers.
The Basic Package is free for instructors and includes features such as an Academic Activity Dashboard, Instructional Tools, and a Native Document Grader. The Enterprise Package includes the Basic Package and additional features such as Systemwide Administration, User Management, and Workload Planning.
PowerSchool acquired Schoology in late 2019.
Overview of Schoology Features
Schoology focuses on student mastery of learning objectives by offering a proficiency model of grading and traditional numeric grades. Through their online platform, it is simple to deliver assessments to students regardless of their location. Assessments are flexible and can be quick quizzes, locally-created benchmarks, or district-wide assessments.
Through Schoology’s built-in data and analytics, educators can determine what is working and what is not at several different levels. The reports generated give information at both the class and school level and can be used by teachers to determine how their students are doing, as well as administrators to ensure that all students school-wide are on track. Reports can be shared via a secure URL, and access is filtered based on staff permissions
Schoology aims to ensure effective communication between parents and educators. Teachers can send weekly digests about classroom activities. Parents can instantly access their students' grades to get an idea of their child’s full learning experience.
Per the vendor, Schoology is easy to use in combination with other learning tools and comes with over 200 native integrations. Educators can use said tools to quickly create assignments. Courses can be built from scratch, or educators can use Schoology’s content library that contains over 300 applications. Courses can be easily shared with other teachers or can be re-used across multiple academic years.
Collaboration is encouraged between teachers through the Public Groups pages on Schoology. These are community pages where educators can share ideas, ask questions and learn from each other.
Tailored Education Solutions
Schoology aims to create a highly tailored educational experience for students that ensures that they meet learning objectives in the way that works best for them. By offering personalized pacing, students can work through the material at the speed that suits their individual needs.
Educators also have the option of creating lessons that give students a choice in how they learn the material. Students can select the tasks that suit their learning style, and a grade for that lesson appears in the grade book, regardless of which task was selected.
Schoology also emphasizes the importance of collaboration between students, even in a remote learning environment. The Groups feature allows students to communicate and store resources about sports, clubs, etc. outside of their course modules.
- Supported: Course authoring
- Supported: Course catalog or library
- Supported: Learning content
- Supported: Assignments
- Supported: Learning administration
- Supported: Learning reporting & analytics
- Supported: eLearning
- Supported: Assessments
- Supported: Live online learning
- Supported: In-person learning
- Supported: Video learning
- Supported: Social learning
- It does allow shy students to share their thoughts on a discussion board without talking.
- It allows parents to view grades, although very few parents at my school do, mainly due to not being very tech-savvy.
- Motivated students are able to monitor their own grades.
- Student engagement is trackable
- Rostering and grading communicates with our SIS
- Adaptive to different teachers course delivery needs
- Allowed us to be able to deliver content when it was impractical to do so in any other manner.
- Teacher buy-in towards their curriculum development has increased as it has become necessary for them to make the content digital and reviewable at any time as opposed to only when being evaluated.
- It has allowed us to continue education during a pandemic.
- Early on Schoology was excellent since we saw faculty use skyrocket due to ease of use. This was a big win in legitimizing digital learning for folks not used to it.
- Over time specific attention to higher education feature requests dropped drastically and became incompatible with our institution's vision moving forward.
- Schoology did provide an effective stepping stone into a more feature-rich LMS - it ensured many more faculty were willing to try bigger and better things later on.
- Was the perfect transition during these difficult remote learning times
- Allowed us to focus more on teaching and not how we provide the material to students
- Kept everything in one place, so it was welcomed by staff and students.
- Students are able to get access to their assignments 24/7 inside or outside of the classroom.
- Students are able to monitor grades and refine/redo assignments.
- Students can resubmit assignments: they are given a chance to improve their grades and many have.
- We consistently have over 90% online weekly engagement for our school.
- Students are doing the work, though there were lots of issues in the beginning when it came to navigating the program.
- One negative impact was that the training we were given (not Schoology's fault) did not address how to personalize our pages and make them more engaging. The pages are quite sterile and boring at baseline.
- It aggravated and frustrates students and it enrages parents.
- For use, more staff members are using Schoology than with our old LMS.
- The administration and counselors are also utilizing the platform.
- More parents are accessing their student's coursework and communicating through Schoology that in the past.
- Less questions about when assignments are due and where.
- Zoom and Teams plugin were a plus during quarantine.
- Enterprise is worlds better than the free version.
- Schoology has positively affected how we can connect with students.
- Students who are absent are able to check their work at home or traveling.
- Schoology does take a bit of learning and takes staff a couple weeks to learn.
- When tied to curriculum and objectives, there are many different mastery reports and assessment tools that can be used. These can guide instruction.
- Schoology requires support and training, but it is easy to use for most teachers.
- Support through the Schoology website allows teachers to find answers 24/7.
- Easy logins integrated with district resources allow for fewer login problems.
- Made classroom management easier.
- Made test administration easier.
- The lesson playlist is awesome.
- Not able to answer this question just yet.
- Overall, Schoology has helped our teachers transition their teaching to a more personalized format.
- Schoology has helped us better integrate technology into the school in a more useful format.
- It has helped students keep track of their work and manage their assignment in a more collaborative environment.
- Students are engaged, and enjoy the platform experience.
- Teacher are using it in order to manage online content in a tech-rich environment.
- Administrators provide professional development using Schoology in order to provide consistency and continuity.
- It is very much part of the new culture in our work environment.
- Schoology is how we do business now.
- We have a system in place that is consistent grades 2 through 12
- Schoology gives us a one stop shop for assigning digital coursework in our 1:1 environment.
- We don't have ROI as a school/campus.
- Communication with Stakeholders has improved.
- Paper usage and costs decreased.
- Collaboration among faculty has increased.
- Schoology has had a positive impact on my classroom because it allows me to easily organize content as well as assign content based on the specific needs/wants of my students.
- Schoology has had a positive impact on my classroom management because it allows me to easily embed everything my students need with no reason for them to leave the LMS and venture out on the wider internet.
- Save time for teachers
- Easier assignment collection and grading