PR Newswire Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Michelle Messenger Garrett profile photo
I use PR Newswire in my business to issue clients' press releases on a wire service. I have my own account but I also sometimes help clients set up an account under their own business name.
It helps further the reach of a press release. While a wire service doesn't do the job of a PR consultant who would pitch the news to journalists, it does help cover the bases. It also helps boost SEO.
  • I think PR Newswire's reach is very good. It's a well-known service that's been around a long time and has a solid reputation. You can trust it.
  • I think PR Newswire helps increase the visibility of news. So although I would also recommend pitching the news, using a wire service, particularly when there's major news to announce, can help in spreading the word.
  • It's pretty easy to use. You may need someone to walk you through it at first, but you can save distributions and so forth so that it gets easier over time.
  • Pricing. It's VERY expensive. This is why it's difficult to recommend it to any clients on a budget. Smaller businesses and startups would be hard-pressed to pay hundreds of dollars to issue a press release. And the pricing goes up if you want to include a photo, etc. There are competitors who will do it for less.
  • They also want to charge you a fee just to have an account, whether or not you use it. That seems like it's not a good practice.
  • While they've made it more streamlined to use, they could do a better job of including which trade publications you can reach, etc. I feel like it used to be easier to pull a list of those -- now they seem harder to find. Trade publications are important for clients that play in vertical markets.
If you're a big company with a big budget, by all means, PR Newswire is a good fit. And if you're a company making a major news announcement, it might be worth it to use PR Newswire. Sometimes, if it's an acquisition, etc., it would be a good idea, and if you have a partner who can help split the cost, that might be a good scenario.
I'd say for a smaller company or startup, you might want to look at a competitor that's less costly, or skip the wire and pitch the news. There are even free wire services to try.
Read Michelle Messenger Garrett's full review
Cindy Arco profile photo
I currently use PR Newswire in my role as the Public Relations Manager for the Florida Region of Comcast. I use this service when I have a media release about news or an announcement that I want to communicate across the entire state of Florida. I'll use PR Newswire to put that particular release and any accompanying multi-media assets, such as logos, photos or video, out over the Florida newswire, so it is quickly disseminated to relevant news media outlets.
  • User-friendly - PR Newswire has a very user-friendly website that makes it simple and easy to get a news release set up for a distribution relatively quickly. You can also save your selections from a previous distribution to make it go even faster. Since I am pretty much always sending out my releases to the same distribution list, all I have to do is check that box.
  • Customer support - When you submit a release via the web portal, you have several options about when it will be released. I typically want my releases to go out as quickly as possible, but even then I know an account representative will take a look at my release and accompanying multimedia materials and give me a quick call to confirm and make sure everything is set before officially sending it out. It's a helpful step without making the process cumbersome.
  • Reports - PR Newswire provides timely and comprehensive reports, so it's easy to tell the where the news release went.
  • Pricing - PR Newswire is expensive. I don't think this is necessary something they need to improve upon as their pricing does include a lot and is comparable to what other similar companies charge, but the pricing structure does price out smaller companies or public relations agencies.
PR Newswire is well suited for organizations with a significant public relations budget that want to quickly disseminate a news release over the wire to a specific targeted group of recipients. It's probably not a suitable solution for smaller companies or "boutique" public relations agency unless the distribution cost is to be directly passed on to the client because it is quite expensive.
Read Cindy Arco's full review
Richard Angeloni profile photo
My company uses PR Newswire to release press releases either regionally within our industry, or on a wider basis to a national audience, within or outside of our industry. We are a small team, and using a tool like PR Newswire allows us to achieve our communications and public relations goals in a quick and easy fashion.
  • It is very easy to set up an account on PR Newswire and get started. The dashboard is very intuitive.
  • Once you are ready to upload a press release, doing so it easy and the pricing structure for the different distributions are clearly laid out.
  • You can choose a distribution list or e-mail (or fax) your own distribution list, making it easy to target your release to different reporters.
  • Once a press release is sent up, PR Newswire follows up with visibility reports so you know how well your release did and if you need to do another or target specific reporters.
  • The pricing structure is comprehensive, depending on how far you want your release to go.
  • Adding multi-media, such as photos, increases visibility quite a bit but PR Newswire charges extra for photos.
  • PR Newswire also charges an annual fee for storing your logo, which I think should be free for organizations that already have an account (and pay a membership fee).
PR Newswire is a great tool to have if you have a small PR team. Maintaining distribution lists are time-consuming, and subscribing to a media monitoring service can be expensive. Even if your company subscribes to a media monitoring service, it does take some time and effort to maintain distribution lists. So using a service like PR Newswire helps take some of the grunt work out of public relations work and makes it easy, and quick, to distribute your press release to a wide audience.
Read Richard Angeloni's full review
August 14, 2018

PR Newswire review

PR Newswire is currently being used by the corporate affairs department, primarily by the media relations team. It solved the business problem of needing to keep our own distribution list and also keeps us compliant with the SEC as far as who needs to receive our press releases.
  • Customer service at PR Newswire is excellent
  • PR Newswire offers reliable press release distribution
  • PR Newswire offers a quick way to see where your release was posted and who picks it up
  • PR Newswire offers fast turnaround when my company makes changes to our press release
  • The PR Newswire member portal makes submitting releases, reviewing proofs and approving easy.
  • PR Newswire seems to be a little pricey compared to some of their competitors
  • PR Newswire could offer more affordable translation services with quicker turnaround time
I would recommend PR Newswire as a service to any company that is willing to pay a bit more.
PR Newswire is used mainly by our editorial department when looking for business news releases we may want to investigate or write about. It also provides contact information for media relations teams that we can use to begin developing solid relationships with public relations professionals in a variety of industries.
  • Huge range of news topics
  • Variety of industries and languages
  • Updated frequently, which is crucial for a news organization
  • The search function does not typically bring up news that is relevant to me or the search terms
  • Press releases are frequently removed after publication, leaving us with broken links or missing URLs
  • I wish there was a way to set my preferences for language, location, topics, publication date, etc. If there is, it's not intuitive to set up
PR Newswire is not the easiest or most user-friendly platform to navigate, but once you get the hang of it, you realize that there is a large inventory of frequently updated content that includes contact information if there is a need for reaching out to media relations teams for more information.
Dan Lobring profile photo
PR Newswire is used by our internal PR/communications team. PR Newswire is viewed as a paid tool that helps to complement other earned media relations efforts, i.e., product announcements, tour announcements, etc. PR Newswire isn't particularly valuable from a strict earned media standpoint, we still use traditional press releases and other means of distributing news or engaging with media. PR Newswire does provide value from an SEO standpoint, as well as having a long-life digital footprint, where you can track clicks on links, downloads of logos, downloads of photography, downloads of videos, etc., that are relevant for forecasting future PR interest.
  • Easy to use for wire distribution
  • Provides excellent SEO value
  • Helps to boost impression numbers
  • Pricing could be better especially as it relates to a digital footprint
  • The ability to add multiple photos, video links, logos, etc., can be cost prohibitive
  • From an earned media relations standpoint, we find that journalists may not cover something once they see it on the newswire
PR Newswire is well suited for when you need a broad distribution that will include a wide swath of earned media impressions when that is one of the primary KPI's. PR Newswire is best suited as complement to other traditional PR tactics but not necessarily as a standalone tool for PR professionals.
Read Dan Lobring's full review
Brian Blackwell profile photo
We receive PR Newswire and sometimes will use info from that in stories published online by my company. It is something helpful when trying to pull needed information that an entity or school will put out to get their word out. It helps us just put in info without having to track down more info.
  • It gets info we need to us rather quickly.
  • It gets the message across that an organization is trying to convey to us.
  • We don't have to "hunt down" sources at times to get what we need. It's just there for us.
  • It sometimes reads as too "PR-y."
  • It could have more quotes.
  • Sometimes it can be bombarding with info that doesn't even relate to what we are trying to get across to our readers.
It's well-suited when trying to push a product or idea that doesn't need much elaboration. At times we need information and it's just there, like a magic trick from a brilliant magic man.
An area of improvement is not coming across so "PR-y." But I guess that's the job of the person writing it and a news person's job to decipher it.
Read Brian Blackwell's full review
Nathan Illsley profile photo
October 25, 2016

Great basic wire service

One of our main duties for clients is media relations, but sometimes news needs to reach a much broader and larger audience than what is possible through traditional pitching. PR Newswire allows you to send out a news release to a large distribution network instantly and ensures an audience that wouldn't otherwise be possible.
  • Ensures placement in a wide range of outlets
  • Creates national and regional exposure
  • Provides clear viewership numbers following placements
  • Social media integration
  • Wider distribution networks
PR Newswire is a basic wire distribution service, so it's best used for releases that you need to reach a wide audience but don't necessarily need to hyper-target demographically. There are a number of distribution channel options, but most of them are fairly generic when compared to other more intense services such as Business Wire. However, the price of PR Newswire is also significantly lower, so for what you pay, it more than exceeds expectations.
Read Nathan Illsley's full review