Practice Fusion: low-duty but perfect for the small, non-profit clinicI work as a co-director for a biweekly evening health clinic that serves the Sacramento greater area's transgender population by providing hormone and/or PrEP prescriptions, as well as STI testing. We use Practice Fusion to document all of our patient visits, including the schedule, the patient's account of personal and medical information, a PDF file of their lab results, and notes for all visits. In this way, it addresses the problem of needing a centralized database to access information so that our patients can get standardized and quality care with accurate continuity. At our clinic, the software is used by front desk admin, the health services director, undergraduate volunteers (who record vitals onto PF), the medical students who run the clinic, and the physician preceptors who support them.,PF provides a very intuitive interface that is very easy to learn, which is especially important in our clinic because as an academic teaching environment we are constantly onboarding new volunteers who need to use this software for the first time and need to learn to do so quickly. PF provides low prices for free or non-profit clinics, which is the main reason why we use it. As a free student-run community clinic, we would otherwise not be able to afford a good EMR. I especially like the interface for the patient schedule, which has a really easy way to record vitals and where the patient is (in the lobby, in a specific room, etc) that I like better than other EMRs I've used.,One of the biggest frustrations is that PF only imports PDFs of lab results, but does nothing to allow manipulation of the numbers within these PDFs. I can pull up lab results but can't look at a graph, for example, of trends in serum sodium or hematocrit. Like EPIC, it would be nice to have an option like scrolling to all the "***"s using F2, which I always try to do on PF until I realize it does not work. I wish PF had more dot phrases to pull in things like lab results, etc., into the note. Since I cannot copy and paste lab results (which are stored in PDF) or blow them in with a dot phrase, I have to manually re-write them, which leaves our notes more vulnerable to human error. If this feature DOES exist, it isn't obvious to me or anyone in our clinic. It would be really nice to hear from PF support to see if we had any unmet needs in the clinic so that they could educate us on how to better use this EMR to support those needs.,7,PF has made it possible for us to run a clinic on a very low budget by students who are learning and might not quite know what they are doing. I think that PF has been perfect to that end.,,Slack,Other specialty,11-25 practitionersPractice Fusion: The Key to Fusion Within the Office :PCurrently, Practice Fusion is used by me and the Doctor I work for. She does the patient charting and I handle all the administrative side of things. So anything from uploading charts, intake papers, lab requests we do within Practice Fusion- so we do not both have to be at the same location at the same time. We needed to find a tool that we could log in from anywhere and use via the web, not a computer-based solution. We also needed somewhere for document storage, and we are able to upload all patient files to Practice Fusion. I think the best thing about the tool is being able to use it from the web.,Document storage- You can upload documents and attach them to specific patients. As well as flag documents that need to be signed, and assign them to specific doctors. Charting- Very detailed integration for charting. Reporting- We really enjoy the reports we can pull from within the software.,When uploading documents, I wish you could assign multiple documents to the "same settings"- for example, 5 documents uploaded to the same patient and the same doctor. We honestly don't use Practice Fusion to its fullest functionality- we could use the communication and scheduling tools more often. The "view" feature for documents doesn't always work and I'm unsure if this has to do with the document or their side of things- but this would be a great feature if it functioned properly.,7,Practice Fusion is free for us to use so I believe it has had a positive impact on our ROI.,Chiro8000 and ChiroTouch,Genbook, ChiroTouch,Other specialty,Solo practicePractice Fusion - give it a whirlPractice Fusion is our EHR. We use on a daily basis for messaging and overall medical records. We also use the system for electronic referrals. We absolutely love the quality reporting and the support staff we have at our disposal. It does most things we need done.,Fast referral preparation Easy message Easy templates,Faster updates Referral to outside Practice Fusion physicians Pinned notes need to pop up in patient record,10,Great price Easy training of program Medical records set up is extremely easy.,NextGen Healthcare Clinical Care Solutions (including MediTouch),Dropbox, McKesson HealthQuest, Adobe Acrobat DC,Internal medicine,2-5 practitionersPractice Fusion gets an A+Practice fusion is our EHR system. Our entire practice uses it for medical record keeping and e prescribing.,You can't beat the cost The program is easy to use. It has several good billing partners,Some of the features have not yet been implemented and they are listed in the forum as "coming soon" but dated over a year ago. We have been suggesting an alert or message feature that does not become part of the chart for over a year. This would be a way for staff to communicate important information to each other. Update 2017: Almost 3 years later, this is still listed as "coming soon". Other EHR's that I have used have a feature such as an exclamation mark that alert every provider working with a patient that there is important information pertinent to their care. It gets "hung up" in the afternoons at times and becomes very slow.,9,This product saves documentation time with templates and is very cost effective. Meets all requirements to meet Meaningful Use and PQRS data and easily tracks for you It would be nice if it had its own billing feature,Allscripts Professional EHR, athenaClinicals and NueMD,NueMD,Mental and behavioral health,6-10 practitioners,14,,Scheduling-This feature is easy and the cloud-based platform allows changes to be made from anywhere. Records-this is our main record keeping platform and we are virtually paperless with Practice Fusion. Prescription writing-easy printing and submission of prescriptions to pharmacy. It does not yet have the capability to e-prescribe controlled substances. Performance based EHR tracking. We have received the EHR incentive each year that we have used Practice fusion. It easily tracks progress towards meeting incentives.,EHR incentive- it is not unique to our practice but has been instrumental in keeping us on track. Template items- we have added template items to help us meet performance goals both in-house and for outside review.,It would be nice if they implemented their own billing feature.,Yes,Price Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation Third-party Reviews,I would have never used Athena,9,We had an issue with connecting to local labs and the Practice Fusion team quickly walked us through how to resolve the issue.Practice Fusion ReviewPractice Fusion is utilized by smaller ambulatory practices in the community. Practices lean towards using this software due to the free platform and the meaningful use (MU) abilities.,Provides MU platform for users. Free software...great for smaller/lower volume practices.,Customization...you get what you pay for. Interfacing with hospital systems. Ergonomics of system...not intuitive.,3,It frees up funds associated with EMR software expenses.,Cerner, Athena, Allscripts and Amazing Charts,PowerWorks Practice Management, athenaClinicals, Allscripts Professional EHR,Other specialty,Not available
Practice Fusion

Practice Fusion Reviews

Practice Fusion
Filter 14 vetted Practice Fusion reviews and ratings

Elias Nash profile photo
January 09, 2019

Review: "Practice Fusion: low-duty but perfect for the small, non-profit clinic"

• PF provides a very intuitive interface that is very easy to learn, which is especially important in our clinic because as an academic teaching environment we are constantly onboarding new volunteers who need to use this software for the first time and need to learn to do so quickly.
  • PF provides low prices for free or non-profit clinics, which is the main reason why we use it. As a free student-run community clinic, we would otherwise not be able to afford a good EMR.
  • I especially like the interface for the patient schedule, which has a really easy way to record vitals and where the patient is (in the lobby, in a specific room, etc) that I like better than other EMRs I've used.
  • One of the biggest frustrations is that PF only imports PDFs of lab results, but does nothing to allow manipulation of the numbers within these PDFs. I can pull up lab results but can't look at a graph, for example, of trends in serum sodium or hematocrit.
  • Like EPIC, it would be nice to have an option like scrolling to all the "***"s using F2, which I always try to do on PF until I realize it does not work.
  • I wish PF had more dot phrases to pull in things like lab results, etc., into the note. Since I cannot copy and paste lab results (which are stored in PDF) or blow them in with a dot phrase, I have to manually re-write them, which leaves our notes more vulnerable to human error. If this feature DOES exist, it isn't obvious to me or anyone in our clinic.
  • It would be really nice to hear from PF support to see if we had any unmet needs in the clinic so that they could educate us on how to better use this EMR to support those needs.
The best scenario is a small non-profit clinic who needs a great EMR but cannot afford one like EPIC. I might also recommend this to colleagues who are starting a small business because I think PF would be a good, easy, and more affordable to get up and running. I think this EMR makes less sense in the setting of large academic institutions who need lots of easily manipulable data and a huge amount of support.
Read Elias Nash's full review
Melanie Haas profile photo
January 08, 2019

Review: "Practice Fusion: The Key to Fusion Within the Office :P"

• Document storage- You can upload documents and attach them to specific patients. As well as flag documents that need to be signed, and assign them to specific doctors.
  • Charting- Very detailed integration for charting.
  • Reporting- We really enjoy the reports we can pull from within the software.
  • When uploading documents, I wish you could assign multiple documents to the "same settings"- for example, 5 documents uploaded to the same patient and the same doctor.
  • We honestly don't use Practice Fusion to its fullest functionality- we could use the communication and scheduling tools more often.
  • The "view" feature for documents doesn't always work and I'm unsure if this has to do with the document or their side of things- but this would be a great feature if it functioned properly.
I think this is a great tool for a smaller practice, and I really like that it is not practice-specific. It seems like any type of doctor could use the site.
I also think this is really great for remote workers because you are able to log on via the internet.

I think that this tool would not be good for those looking to have a specific practice software. I've worked for other doctors alongside the one I used practice fusion for, and the other doctors used specialty specific software because of the customization to their job and charting.
Read Melanie Haas's full review
Lynn Reeves Hill profile photo
April 13, 2018

User Review: "Practice Fusion - give it a whirl"

• Fast referral preparation
  • Easy message
  • Easy templates
  • Faster updates
  • Referral to outside Practice Fusion physicians
  • Pinned notes need to pop up in patient record
Great EHR for the size practice and the price. Referral process is easy. Reporting is exactly what we need. Constantly updating which is great. Support managers answer questions promptly.
Read Lynn Reeves Hill's full review
Jessica Adams profile photo
October 10, 2017

User Review: "Practice Fusion gets an A+"

• You can't beat the cost
  • The program is easy to use.
  • It has several good billing partners
  • Some of the features have not yet been implemented and they are listed in the forum as "coming soon" but dated over a year ago. We have been suggesting an alert or message feature that does not become part of the chart for over a year. This would be a way for staff to communicate important information to each other.
  • Update 2017: Almost 3 years later, this is still listed as "coming soon". Other EHR's that I have used have a feature such as an exclamation mark that alert every provider working with a patient that there is important information pertinent to their care.
  • It gets "hung up" in the afternoons at times and becomes very slow.

For the cost-conscious, the price is excellent. This is a free EHR that works better than many of the expensive ones that we have used in the past.

2017 review reduced to 9/10 mostly due to the "coming soon" features that have not yet been implemented.

Read Jessica Adams's full review
Katarina L. Rawdan profile photo
March 29, 2016

"Practice Fusion Review"

• Provides MU platform for users.
  • Free software...great for smaller/lower volume practices.
  • Customization...you get what you pay for.
  • Interfacing with hospital systems.
  • Ergonomics of system...not intuitive.
I would recommend Practice Fusion to a smaller practice concerned with affording an EMR system.
Read Katarina L. Rawdan's full review
Aly Yehia, MBA, CPC, CHTS profile photo
March 28, 2016

Review: "Practice Fusion can turn effort into MONEY in real-time!"

• Meaningful use compliance
  • Proper Documentation
  • A web-based application that does not need an additional IT vendor to setup.
  • I'd suggest adding more CQMs.
I think Practice Fusion is well-suited for a Family Medicine or an Internal Medicine practice.
Read Aly Yehia, MBA, CPC, CHTS's full review
April 27, 2016

Practice Fusion Review: "EMR is Helpful"

• Organizes lab work for each patient. Its helpful for us to see a patient at a glance.
  • Schedule appointments for patients.
  • Have Physician Assistant as a provider status.
  • Make the notes section of each patients account displays towards the top of page and not the bottom.
Practice Fusion is free and is perfect for a free health clinic.

Real-time eligibility verification (1)
Claims management (1)
Coding (3)
Patient billing (1)
Financial Reporting (1)
Rule-based scheduling (4)
9.2
Automated appointment reminders (5)
Automated patient check-in (4)
Multi-location support (3)
Calendar interface (6)
Charting / document management (6)
Templates (5)
Patient portal (4)
Mobile/tablet support (4)
Fax integration (4)
10.0
Integration with other EMR and PM systems (3)
Workflow automation (3)
Speech recognition (1)
Customization (5)
6.7
E-prescribing (5)
HIPPA compliance (6)
9.7
Role-based permission levels (5)
10.0
Data backups and redundancy (4)
9.2
Local mode / networking failsafe (3)
Task tracking (3)
Specialty-specific workflows (4)
9.6
Multi-office / multi-physician capabilities (4)

About Practice Fusion