Reviews (1-5 of 5)
September 03, 2020
PrestaShop is a powerful and open-source free e-commerce solution. It is a great tool for building online shopping cart websites. PrestaShop is self-hosted meaning you need to have a hosting plan and some technical and coding knowledge to set it up. Customizing PrestaShop can get a little bit tricky especially if you need custom functionalities although there are plenty of third-party extensions and add-ons that you can implement into the platform.
- Free and open-source.
- Highly customizable with some coding knowledge.
- Tons of add-ons and third party extensions.
- Self hosted, full control on server files.
- Add-ons can get really expensive.
- Add-ons can interfere with each other and bugs may arise.
- Speed need to be improved.
Read Lichaa TRAD's full review
Being a self-hosted solution, it is well suited for people who have a minimum of technical and coding knowledge. If you have no technical skills, you may need to go with other options that are hosted. Also, if you are not willing to invest in customizations and add-ons, PrestaShop would not be the best option to go with.
February 25, 2020
PrestaShop gave us the possibility to have very quickly an eCommerce website to reach our customers and to facilitate to them the process of ordering and payment.
Read this authenticated review
PrestaShop is well suited for new businesses or startups that are going to start in eCommerce and don't have a large number of products.
March 03, 2017
Score 6 out of 10
As a consultant, I guided a company using Prestashop for their first e-commerce project. My brief was to look for a platform that comes with the larger number of features and that doesn't require high investments while developing additional functions. The choice goes to Prestashop because it represents the easier and a low budget solution which fits most needs of tiny/small companies.
- Administration panel is easy and essential
- Product configuration is ready to go and product page comes with lots of information
- It doesn't require huge server resources
- Since it starts as ready to go platform it's difficult to protect your store from being copied by someone else
- Without a developer, you depend on Prestashop's modules marketplace that lacks free extensions
- Since it isn't an enterprise level platform the use of Prestashop is strictly related to the size of your business
Read Marco Casieri's full review
Prestashop offers a quick solution for companies who want a scalable solution in less time and with a low budget requirement. It's perfect for startup and pilot-projects. For example, it's very hard to put Prestashop in the middle of a multi-channel business due to security risks, difficult to exchange data from one database to another, API requests and more.
February 14, 2017
Score 6 out of 10
All six of our websites use prestashop and it is our only e-commerce platform. Our company sells laser engraved products and our websites give customers a chance to view and purchase the items. One of the websites is for the general public, and the others are for internal clients. The back office is used by persons in each department of our company.
- Easy to install and have up quickly.
- Lots of potential for customization and development overrides to shape the system the way it is needed.
- Constant upgrades and bug fixes.
- Lots of add-ons to choose.
- Documentation and support needs to be updated and expanded. There's a lack of books, and the only support aside from the forum is official prestashop support, which is not cheap. The system is too massive to have such little support.
- Too many things can go wrong with too little explanation as to why. Too much time is wasted trying to figure out why prestashop isn't working as intended because of this. Seems that most of the questions online are people fumbling around with vague issues and errors and no explanation.
- Code should either be organized more intuitively, or there should be more help outlining what is going on during runtime for debug purposes. Why is there not a built in way to display the tpl that is being loaded in each section? I tried figuring out how to do it myself using the documentation but gave up. Instead I have to swim through the entire code to figure out how to do it myself. Should not be this complicated.
- Too many things can go wrong when transferring or copying the website, which essentially breaks everything. Again, too little help and messages explaining why things don't work. Internet search shows that this is a common issue.
Read Shay O'Neil's full review
It's good if you want to use it as is, maybe with some modules. Developing for it is a totally different issue and I don't recommend it unless there is a full team of experienced developers, and/or an outsourced prestashop team.
I've been using Prestashop for the last 4 years and I'm constantly impressed with the advancements and user-friendliness of the platform. Whether you are a hardcore developer or new to the industry, PrestaShop makes it very convenient to get you up and running. Also the developer community is highly active so you're able to find assistance from active users in the community with any problem that you might have.
Read this authenticated review
I would think that PrestaShop is suited for anyone who wants to be more hands-on with their site. You are able to customize practically any aspect of the platform to fit your needs. This is also very developer friendly so the coding and customizations are not difficult to adapt to.
PrestaShop Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
What is PrestaShop?
PrestaShop is a free, open source e-commerce solution available under the Open Software License and officially launched in August 2007. The software is written in PHP and based on the Smarty template engine and is currently used by 165,000 shops worldwide. The PrestaShop group was founded in Paris, with a second Headquarters opened in Miami in 2011. PrestaShop is translated into 63 languages, with English, French, Portuguese, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Polish and Russian having full support in all release versions. Technical support is provided via support plans or free support on the official forum from PrestaShop Community. PrestaShop complements built in features with an Add-on store where many modules and themes can be found to customize the store appearance. There are a also a number of volunteers who support and contribute their own Add-ons to PrestaShop.
Visit https://www.youtube.com/user/prestashop to watch PrestaShop video.
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
- Has featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?Yes
- Entry-level set up fee?No
PrestaShop Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
PrestaShop Technical Details