https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/io/aE/KO72882A07UT.PNGWorks like a Py-Charm! Look no further for the best Python IDE!PyCharm is the weapon of choice in our organization for the Quality Assurance and the DevOps team in the Engineering department. In combination with plugins for Robot Framework, it helped us manage our projects and increase delivery speed, thanks to all the power features it has, from Version Control to Code Inspection.,Syntax Highlighting: helps us read-write better code and understand what is going on with a simple glimps Version Control: being able to see a history of the file(s) I am working on lets me know straight away who I should contact in case I need it Virtual Environments: don't need to get back to the console, I can do whatever I need within my IDE Cross Product compatibility: being based on IntelliJ Idea, it's very easy to move from PyCharm to IntelliJ or WebStorm,Startup speed: could be faster Runtime environment: needs to change the runtime everytime I want to switch from code to test cases Updates: on Ubuntu 14.04, updating is a little bit troublesome: must be done manually, cannot be updated automatically,10,PyCharm made development in the QA department seamless, making us worry more about the code than formatting, version control, dependencies management, etc. The different types of search are a blessing, especially with large projects Virtual Environments let us experiment with different configurations,IntelliJ IDEA, IntelliJ WebStorm and Eclipse,IntelliJ IDEA, JIRA Software, GitHub, Slack, Jenkins, Docker, Vagrant, Oracle VM VirtualBox,8,1,Implementing Test Cases Creating Automation Scripts Debugging existing code,Don't need to "get out" of the IDE anymore: all the functionalities available from the shell are included in PyCharm,10One of the best Python IDEs out thereOverall, members of my organization use IDEs relatively infrequently, but there are a few employees who do use PyCharm. Those of us who have the program use it for developing code and doing reproducible research (PyCharm has options to set up version control with Github or any other similar version control software). PyCharm has loads of options--it is not at all limited to writing Python code, which makes it very versatile. I like it because it helps conduct reproducible research, which is a crucial part of the research my organization conducts.,Pycharm supports different languages, which is very convenient. It also has an option for creating Jupyter notebooks. Pycharm is similar to JetBrain's other products (such as CLion), which makes it easy to learn once you are used to IDEs made by JetBrains. It works great with Python distributions like Anaconda. It is super simple to set up if you have Anaconda installed.,Pycharm is expensive if you cannot get a license through work (although you can get a lightweight version for free) When starting up Pycharm, it can take a while to load (up to a minute or more), which is somewhat annoying. The initial setup can take a little while, and I found that customizing the appearance of PyCharm was very cumbersome.,7,Built-in version control makes our code development faster and less prone to errors. One of our main objectives in research is publishing novel studies, and with Pycharm's many features (including a great debugger), we are able to get code developed faster, allowing us to publish more frequently. Since we have academic Pycharm licenses, the cost of the software is minimal. Overall, it has made us more productive.,Enthought Canopy,QGIS, ArcGISPyCharm for Big Data AnalyticsPyCharm is being used by the Business Intelligence department because Python is their language used for big data analytics. We needed a comprehensive IDE for Python in order to utilize good debugging tools and plugin managers, and we needed a one-stop-shop to take care of all of the Python dependencies including Anaconda.,Debugging tools are great, and coming from experience with other IDEs, this was a breeze and was absolutely needed. Switching Python versions easily from 2.x-2.x whenever we needed. The package manager was great, and I'm very visual and appreciate good UIs that let me see what I have installed and manage them. The easily added scratch pads are great, especially if I don't want to make another project to try a simple snippet.,You can't fire it up on a big project and expect to get right into the game. PyCharm has to scan everything every time it runs, which can take time and is very annoying. If you have many versions of Python, it can take some fiddling to get PyCharm to recognize them all in the proper order.,9,Great project turnaround times when we were able to use the debugging tools and other features offered by an IDE. We have a small BI developer group, and the licensing was reasonable and easily managed by the machines.,,TaskRayPy-Charm your developers with this amazing IDE!PyCharm is used by de DevOps and Data Statistics department as an IDE for Python. Usually, different people across an organization use different IDEs according to their needs. Thanks to PyCharm we can all use the same IDE, and it's always good to have a unified platform in a company.,It's really intuitive and easy to use It's easy to switch between versions of Python, which is something pretty useful in this language The syntax highlights help us when writing code, making our time more efficient Even though it is meant for Python, it works really well with other languages, which makes it a very versatile tool.,It can be a little slow to startup It's expensive for amateur work, so if you are a freelancer DevOp this probably won't be affordable,10,Thanks to all the tools it has, our errors have diminished, and so has our launching time Projects get finished faster DA department has really accurate information about metrics, and more accurate metrics can give you bigger profit,Eclipse,MATLAB, Anaconda, Eclipse, Visual Studio IDEDebugging your Python Made EasyPyCharm is used alongside other JetBrains development software specifically for the development of Python-based unit tests and applications. For the most part, PyCharm is used as a stand-alone tool to write and execute these unit tests, but occasionally Visual Studio is also used for this purpose as well.,Excellent Debugging Easy to use UI Very easy to work on multiple files at once,Sometimes code will run when executed within the program, but not when run via shell It takes a long time to close threads when testing code Integrating tightly with Git,9,Cuts down on testing time Streamlines implementation time,Visual Studio IDE,Visual Studio IDE, Evernote, Parallels Desktop
PyCharm

PyCharm Reviews

PyCharm
Filter 35 vetted PyCharm reviews and ratings
Paolo De Grazia profile photo
May 18, 2018

PyCharm Review: "Works like a Py-Charm! Look no further for the best Python IDE!"

• Syntax Highlighting: helps us read-write better code and understand what is going on with a simple glimps
  • Version Control: being able to see a history of the file(s) I am working on lets me know straight away who I should contact in case I need it
  • Virtual Environments: don't need to get back to the console, I can do whatever I need within my IDE
  • Cross Product compatibility: being based on IntelliJ IDEA, it's very easy to move from PyCharm to IntelliJ or WebStorm
  • Startup speed: could be faster
  • Runtime environment: needs to change the runtime everytime I want to switch from code to test cases
  • Updates: on Ubuntu 14.04, updating is a little bit troublesome: must be done manually, cannot be updated automatically
PyCharm is wonderful for handling Python code and, in my experience, very good for Robot Framework files, thanks to the Intellibot plugin I would not suggest using it for creating/editing/manipulating web files (html, css, js)
Read Paolo De Grazia's full review
Maike Holthuijzen profile photo
August 20, 2018

PyCharm Review: "One of the best Python IDEs out there"

• Pycharm supports different languages, which is very convenient. It also has an option for creating Jupyter notebooks.
  • Pycharm is similar to JetBrain's other products (such as CLion), which makes it easy to learn once you are used to IDEs made by JetBrains.
  • It works great with Python distributions like Anaconda. It is super simple to set up if you have Anaconda installed.
  • Pycharm is expensive if you cannot get a license through work (although you can get a lightweight version for free)
  • When starting up Pycharm, it can take a while to load (up to a minute or more), which is somewhat annoying.
  • The initial setup can take a little while, and I found that customizing the appearance of PyCharm was very cumbersome.
Pycharm is great for experienced programmers who want an IDE with many options. Since the full version of Pycharm is expensive, I personally do not think it would be worth spending my own money on Pycharm. However, if for those who have access to a license, it's one of the best IDEs. It is great for academic and non-academic work environments and could be used for research, software development, and student projects. With built-in version control, it is a great choice for anyone. I would not recommend it to those new to programming or Python, as it can be a little tricky to get used to.
Read Maike Holthuijzen's full review
David Crawford profile photo
June 12, 2018

User Review: "PyCharm for Big Data Analytics"

• Debugging tools are great, and coming from experience with other IDEs, this was a breeze and was absolutely needed.
  • Switching Python versions easily from 2.x-2.x whenever we needed.
  • The package manager was great, and I'm very visual and appreciate good UIs that let me see what I have installed and manage them.
  • The easily added scratch pads are great, especially if I don't want to make another project to try a simple snippet.
  • You can't fire it up on a big project and expect to get right into the game. PyCharm has to scan everything every time it runs, which can take time and is very annoying.
  • If you have many versions of Python, it can take some fiddling to get PyCharm to recognize them all in the proper order.
It's great for data analytics due to the debugging tools allowing you to step into any part of your process. It worked well with Anaconda and we could visually inspect data frames and how they were evolving with our functions.
Read David Crawford's full review
August 30, 2018

PyCharm Review: "Py-Charm your developers with this amazing IDE!"

• It's really intuitive and easy to use
  • It's easy to switch between versions of Python, which is something pretty useful in this language
  • The syntax highlights help us when writing code, making our time more efficient
  • Even though it is meant for Python, it works really well with other languages, which makes it a very versatile tool.
  • It can be a little slow to startup
  • It's expensive for amateur work, so if you are a freelancer DevOp this probably won't be affordable
Even considering its cons (which aren't much,) you won't find any IDE that works as good as this one with Python. Considering this is a language that is growing faster all the time, investing in this could be a great opportunity to make things easier for your developers, especially when working with Data Analytics.
Donovon Carter profile photo
February 15, 2018

PyCharm Review: "Debugging your Python Made Easy"

• Excellent Debugging
  • Easy to use UI
  • Very easy to work on multiple files at once
  • Sometimes code will run when executed within the program, but not when run via shell
  • It takes a long time to close threads when testing code
  • Integrating tightly with Git
If you are interested in learning Python, I would highly recommend downloading PyCharm. Coming from more of a systems admin background, I was a little hesitant to jump into coding, but needed more functionality than PowerShell could afford. Using PyCharm to get oriented with Python wound up being the right call for me, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to someone with a similar use case.
Read Donovon Carter's full review
Alex Waitkus, CISSP-ISSAP, OSCP profile photo
January 16, 2018

User Review: "PyCharm, chosen because it works"

PyCharm is used for Python script development, debugging, and testing.
  • Helps with script writing by identifying syntax, spelling, variable issues
  • Debugger is great, makes finding issues easy
  • Great user interface, easy to follow menu structure helps to learn the navigation of features
  • Some functions in pycharm are not very intuitive
  • Mapping to Python interpreter could use work to make it easier to map all projects to 1 venv
I have tried many IDEs and PyCharm has proven to be the best for my needs. It is customizable and works (that sometimes is not the case with other IDEs). Running scripts, debugging, etc., are very intuitive and the startup tips help you learn about new features. I think PyCharm's main draw back are the project interpreters. Unless you nest under one project, it is difficult to reuse or use a central interpreter (I know this is not the full point of venvs but when you work a lot with the same plugins, it is nice to share.
Read Alex Waitkus, CISSP-ISSAP, OSCP's full review
Andrej Mäsiar profile photo
March 16, 2018

User Review: "Pycharm for any Pythonista"

Pycharm is the defacto standard for Python development at my organization. All new hires are trained with Pycharm.
  • Git Integration
  • Debugging
  • Intellisense/Autocompletion
  • Automatic linting, code style hits
  • Debugger
  • Deploying to Cloud integration
Pycharm is an excellent IDE for any kind of project/workload.

Only time I would not use Pycharm, it would be Jupyter type demo for collaborative visualization and/or quick proof-of-concept.
Read Andrej Mäsiar's full review
Yury Vakhatov profile photo
August 23, 2017

PyCharm Review: "My favorite Python IDE"

I used PyCharm as IDE for all projects, which were based on Python code.

Typical tasks were:
- UI test automation (Selenium, Appium)
- API test automation (Requests)
- Data scraping, parsing and converting

Also I am using PyCharm Community Edition for my personal needs (like self educational projects in machine learning, statistics etc).
  • Very, very smart and easy code editor
  • Integration with scientific tools (NumPy, Matplotlib, pandas and so on)
  • HTML and JavaScript support
  • No auto updates (at least at MacOS)
  • Heavy weight for simple projects
PyCharm is absolutely great for big and complex projects, however it looks rather heavy weight if you need to do something quickly.
Read Yury Vakhatov's full review
October 24, 2017

PyCharm Review: "Ideal for Python developers"

Not everyone uses it. It is the individual's choice to use PyCharm IDE. It doesn't solve any business problems but helps the developer in Python development process.
  • Autocompletion and auto-suggestions
  • Code comparison
  • Spelling Correction
  • Language Injection
  • Improvements in dedugging console
  • More default themes
  • Fresh look and feel
If you extensively work on Python and are considering IDE/Editor to use then PyCharm is a good choice. Professional edition supports almost all Python frameworks, web development and database support, etc.

About PyCharm

PyCharm is a Python IDE which also contains static code testing capabilities.