https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/ll/4h/KE82B3V9KK3D.JPEGQB Mac App Top NotchQuickBooks Online has been great for our company as it allows for us to work on accounting, account management, etc., without being tied to a desktop computer at the office. Since I use a Mac laptop, I strictly use the QB App for the Mac. I find it to be faster than the web version, more responsive and allows the important functions I use it for to not be cluttered in a web browser with dozens of other web browser tabs/windows open for other business needs. I've been especially impressed with the continuously added features and improvements in usability.,It now works very much like a web browser and allows for tabs and additional windows. I use this feature every time I'm working in the app. It's fast and very stable,Any concerns I have would be with QuickBooks Online and its functionality and not the app. The web version is the same as the app so when I do need to use the web version on a PC, the familiarity is there to not miss a beat.,9,It's free so the only investment is a subscription to QuickBooks Online, which is a fine investment for us. We love it.,QuickReview of QuickBooksWe use Quickbooks for our Merchant Services and daily tracking of transactions and banking activity. We also utilize the platform to submit invoices and keep track of our account. In addition, we use it for the barcode swipe capabilities. It is used by our entire organization and addresses all the matters identified above.,Barcode swiping Tracking our daily bank account activity. Bookkeeping for tax purposes Tracking of inventory,Tutorials for onboarding might be useful. Maybe more videos.,8,We don't maintain actual records on this, but it has certainly made things much more efficient.,,Insightly, Asana, Salesforce App CloudOur Full-featured Accounting SoftwareI have been using Quickbooks for Mac for many years. It is the prime bookkeeping software. I use it to pay bills, track income, generate income and loss reports, cut invoices, and as a backup for my visits to my accounting consultants. I first started out with a program called Quickbooks Pro for Mac, but that had since been superseded by Quickbooks for Mac. It has more features than what I need - for example, the software can link with online banking, but for security purposes, I simply do not take advantage of that feature. As I'm a sole proprietor, I also don't need the "payroll" feature. The software is "professional specific" meaning it can be tailored to my needs as an architect. Writing checks using my printer is relatively easy, but I don't use that feature anymore since I do much of my banking online.,Track income Track expenses Generate reports Aids in balancing checkbooks- reconciling Interface with MacOS is good,Deleting accounts which have been paid off is difficult Upgrade path is costly After five years, I want to delete all book keeping data. Difficult to do with QuickBooks.,9,Tracking Income Tracking Expenses Tracking Assets and liabilities,,Microsoft Office 2016QuickBooks for Mac will have your backWe assist clients who use quickbooks for mac with bookkeeping, accounting, and taxes.,It is a robust desktop tax software. QuickBooks for Mac has grown up and is no longer considered the orphan cousin of its PC cousin. QuickBooks for Mac now offers most of the features that customers using the PC product are familiar with. Easily convertible to PC for your CPA's convenience.,Not much to say in this area, but I caution users who convert their data to PC versions for tax purposes to carefully compare accrual/cash versions between the two software because they may not match. The Mac versions are not comparable to the PC versions. QuickBooks 2017 for Mac will not necessarily have the same features as the PC version. The biggest challenge for most desktop users is what I call version error. That is where clients have one version of the data on one computer and then back it up and use it on another PC. Every year I hear stories about how this resulted in the loss of data because the user forgot to restore the most current version of the data.,3,Having familiarity with the product and Mac OS has provided me access to clients who use the Mac version.,QuickBooks Online,QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions, QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Premier, Bill.com,NoQuickBooks Mac is a hybrid fruit, created by grafting the best bit of QuickBooks Pro and QuickBooks Online.Quickbooks for Mac currently being used in the financial planning and analysis department. Our Accounts payable and Accounts Receivable departments use. Quickbooks for Mac help solves invoicing, payment and accounting needs. We use it to invoice and receive payments from our small clients who don't have access to larger and more costly systems.,Ease of use Support User friendly,Training videos Quickbooks user community Website integrations,10,Increase productivity Better reporting Easy implementation in the day-to-day operations,,Stripe
QuickBooks for Mac

QuickBooks for Mac Reviews

QuickBooks for Mac
Filter 58 vetted QuickBooks for Mac reviews and ratings
Billy Rivet profile photo
November 17, 2018

QuickBooks for Mac Review: "QB Mac App Top Notch"

• It now works very much like a web browser and allows for tabs and additional windows. I use this feature every time I'm working in the app.
  • It's fast and very stable
  • Any concerns I have would be with QuickBooks Online and its functionality and not the app. The web version is the same as the app so when I do need to use the web version on a PC, the familiarity is there to not miss a beat.
It started off a bit clunky but continuous updates and improvements have made it great and staple. I never have to use the web version now.
Read Billy Rivet's full review
John E. Miller, MBA profile photo
July 06, 2018

QuickBooks for Mac: "QuickReview of QuickBooks"

• Barcode swiping
  • Tracking our daily bank account activity.
  • Bookkeeping for tax purposes
  • Tracking of inventory
  • Tutorials for onboarding might be useful. Maybe more videos.
Again I think that it is more user-friendly than some of the other platforms I have used. But I think it does a great job with the tracking of expenses and other activity, but also the integration with TurboTax and other applications. Also, for small businesses, the merchant services work very well.
Read John E. Miller, MBA's full review
John Cruet Jr., AIA profile photo
March 09, 2018

QuickBooks for Mac Review: "Our Full-featured Accounting Software"

• Track income
  • Track expenses
  • Generate reports
  • Aids in balancing checkbooks- reconciling
  • Interface with MacOS is good
  • Deleting accounts which have been paid off is difficult
  • Upgrade path is costly
  • After five years, I want to delete all book keeping data. Difficult to do with QuickBooks.
Quickbooks for Mac can do most anything a good accounting software can do. It does bill paying, invoicing, income tracking, expense tracking, can customize income and expense categories, enter vendor information and customer information, do payroll, cut checks, and generate reports for reconciling accounts.

Some firms like mine may not be able to take advantage of the vast arrays of features it has.
Read John Cruet Jr., AIA's full review
Andrew Newman CPA profile photo
September 13, 2017

User Review: "QuickBooks for Mac will have your back"

• It is a robust desktop tax software.
  • QuickBooks for Mac has grown up and is no longer considered the orphan cousin of its PC cousin.
  • QuickBooks for Mac now offers most of the features that customers using the PC product are familiar with.
  • Easily convertible to PC for your CPA's convenience.
  • Not much to say in this area, but I caution users who convert their data to PC versions for tax purposes to carefully compare accrual/cash versions between the two software because they may not match.
  • The Mac versions are not comparable to the PC versions. QuickBooks 2017 for Mac will not necessarily have the same features as the PC version.
  • The biggest challenge for most desktop users is what I call version error. That is where clients have one version of the data on one computer and then back it up and use it on another PC. Every year I hear stories about how this resulted in the loss of data because the user forgot to restore the most current version of the data.
For the die-hard Mac user, who is cloud shy, the Mac version is a stable, dependable tool.
Read Andrew Newman CPA's full review
Andreas Jones - LSSGB, CPP, CSCS profile photo
August 16, 2017

QuickBooks for Mac Review: "QuickBooks Mac is a hybrid fruit, created by grafting the best bit of QuickBooks Pro and QuickBooks Online."

• Ease of use
  • Support
  • User friendly
  • Training videos
  • Quickbooks user community
  • Website integrations
As far as accounting software goes, QuickBooks Mac is a fresh pick from the Apple orchard. Like any good apple, QuickBooks Mac is clean, attractive, tasty, and nutritious. QuickBooks Mac is easy to use and feature-rich. In this one program, the capability of QuickBooks Pro is married seamlessly to the beautifully simple UI design of QuickBooks Online.
Read Andreas Jones - LSSGB, CPP, CSCS's full review
Steve Muench profile photo
August 07, 2017

Review: "QuickBooks For Mac - Use It And Never Go Back"

QuickBooks (QB) is the software used for all aspects of company accounting. It provides a streamlined approach to controlling cash flow, producing monthly reports, invoicing and quickly allows an overview of the business performance. It also makes invoicing and receiving payments quick and easy to monitor on a daily basis. Reconciliation of bank accounts is normally quick and easy with the ability to link QuickBooks and our bank accounts.
  • Invoicing made easy. It's easy to customize invoices as well as email them in a batch. Great time saver.
  • Reconciliation of bank accounts made easy. It's simplified with the ability of linking bank accounts to QB & matching bank transactions with those transactions posted through QB.
  • Creating reports & customizing reports for my CPA is also done with ease.
  • QB support team has been very easy and friendly to work with as I have had many questions that I need help with from them They have been able to identify my problems and offer solutions.
  • The Mac application has multiple flaws. At 1st I used the app exclusively but now only launch QB through my web browser.
  • Although I have found the reconciliation of monthly bank statements to be easy I did experience 1 month that QB posted payments twice for 3 different batches of credit card payments. The help desk had never seen anything like it before. Hopefully I never see it happen again.
  • The migration of accounts & customers from my previous accounting software was not at all easy and indeed was very time consuming and tedious.
I have been on QB for approximately 5 months and so far it has allowed me to accomplish everything that my previous accounting program did and most of the tasks are more streamlined and easier to accomplish.

If you start from day one using QB in your business it should be great. If you are going to transition from another accounting program to QB I would expect to experience some pain in the transition.
Read Steve Muench's full review
Spud Marshall profile photo
April 12, 2016

QuickBooks for Mac Review: "Quickbooks is worth the price once the features save you significant time"

I use quickbooks for Mac to manage all of my finances for my consulting company. It's incredibly helpful to organize receipts and invoices with the multiple clients I work alongside. A large problem it addresses is being able to handle recurring invoices for clients I have on retainer. Interacting with international clients is also convenient as it does automatic currency conversions.
  • Recurring invoices.
  • Multi-platform support.
  • Simplified reports.
  • Improvement for marking receipts as billable or reimbursable - it currently has a few user glitches and unnecessary extra steps.
  • Forecasting tools to visualize anticipated cashflow.
  • Being able to file quarterly tax reports with the pro account (currently it is only offered in the solopreneur version).
For startup companies that don't need detailed accounting software, I would not recommend QuickBooks for Mac because the cost is not worth it compared to some free software options. However, if you are a small company and have some complexity that you want to automate (like recurring invoices), Quickbooks for Mac is an excellent option and is well worth the money!
Read Spud Marshall's full review
Kimberly Devane profile photo
March 18, 2016

QuickBooks for Mac Review: "QB for Mac"

I use it for all of my business accounting I also have my bookkeeper access it. I use it to invoice and track payments from my clients. I also use it to send checks to my contractors (Staff), vendors, and for participant incentive checks. A CPA recommend I get it a few years ago.
  • Create client Invoices
  • Receive payments from clients
  • Track expenses
  • Print Business checks
  • Yearly updates should be at a discounted rate.
  • Should not have to pay for phone Support
  • Quickbooks should offer discounts on supplies (checks, etc).
It is best for a company that uses invoices and needs to write business checks.
Read Kimberly Devane's full review
Ann Shallcross profile photo
July 08, 2015

QuickBooks for Mac Review: "Well suited for small business"

We've been using QuickBooks for close to 20 years for all of our accounting needs. In the past 7 years, we've added the QuickBook Server capability to enhance our Bookkeeping Department and have found it very useful.
  • Ease of entering vendor invoices as well as credits
  • Simplicity of reconciling accounts
  • One problem I found unexpectedly was that when you are using the Multi-User feature, your reporting is not 100% accurate which can cause problems at times
  • I've upgraded my computer recently to OS 10.7 and have had a few times when my Quick Books quits unexpectedly. This is frustrating and also makes me nervous that I'm losing information
I've only ever used QuickBooks so I can't address other accounting programs that are available - my accountant recommended it originally and we've been happy with it
Read Ann Shallcross's full review
Shelly Robbins profile photo
February 25, 2015

"QuickBooks for Mac 2015 Review"

I teach QuickBooks for Windows at Bellevue College, and I set up, troubleshoot, and teach QuickBooks for Mac to small business owners and their bookkeepers online and in the Seattle area. I am an Intuit Trainer/Writer and I teach QuickBooks for Mac once/year at the large national conference on QuickBooks, and at home I sometimes answer questions or perform file management/conversion tasks for others who support QuickBooks for Mac clients.
  • Online banking is easy and fun to learn, and saves data-entry for those little debits/ATM's on your bank statement.
  • Invoices can be designed to look nice and emailed with a "Pay link which speeds up cash flow; a #1 concern for new businesses.
  • Save money by using the online payroll that syncs in data so you don't have to enter complicated paychecks at all.
  • The #1 complaint is that setting it up right is a challenge. People waste time trying to figure it out only to realize that they don't know accounting so of course they don't know how an accounting program should be set up. Like any time you are in over your head, reach out to your network and find someone who can log onto your computer and walk you through it.
  • If you need to track the cost of wages to jobs you can't do it with the online payroll, but check for yourself because it's a function that landscaping companies and construction businesses usually need, so maybe they have added it by now. That would really help!
  • It's premise-based software and that means you take on the role of hardware admin, and it's a lot of work for what is increasingly becoming a smaller gap in the functionality between QuickBooks for Mac and QuickBooks Online.
  • QuickBooks for Mac 2015 has been updated consistently over the last 3 years and continues to provide for the bookkeeping needs of small companies using Macs in their offices. However, it has limited job costing functionality. It is similar in functionality to the 2010 version of QuickBooksPro which runs on Windows.
It's easy and fun to use QuickBooks for Mac when it is set up right. It works well for the most part and has only a few bugs. I would rate it a 9 if it was able to do job costing for wages, and if there were more programs/apps that integrate with it.
But if you are choosing accounting technology QuickBooks for Mac might be a poor choice because an online accounting program, instead of premise-based software, will make it easier to collaborate with your bookkeeper, CPA, Advisor, etc.. The exception is running QuickBooks for Mac in a hosted environment which allows multiple users to access it. Of course if your internet connection is unreliable, you are not ready for online accounting software! In that case, QuickBooks for Mac is easy to use, just be sure it's set up right first.
Read Shelly Robbins's full review
Nick Zeckets profile photo
October 31, 2014

QuickBooks for Mac Review: "QuickBooks - because you have to?"

We're a lean startup, so it covers all financial reporting and analysis apart from sales where it's worthless.
  • It's very standard so most banks and others who need financial data can easily review your data.
  • It's a UX disaster. I don't think anyone has ever thought about the SMB user. Really painful to use.
  • So many QB users are not accountants so that QB has no accounting intelligence built in is such a loss.
Does anyone on staff have deep experience with QuickBooks? If not, you'll need a professional trainer or accountant to get you up to speed.
Read Nick Zeckets's full review
Spencer Judd profile photo
June 24, 2014

QuickBooks for Mac Review: "QB for Mac: A step in the (mostly) right direction"

I help a few of my clients who have decided to use QuickBooks for Mac. We like to make sure that the clients are able to choose the version of QuickBooks that they feel the most comfortable with. I'm the only one in my team who is able to help those who want to use QuickBooks for Mac, and while the 2013 version was a major improvement over the 2012 version, I feel most comfortable with the pc version.
  • It does a great job at fitting in the Apple ecosystem.
  • It looks and feels user friendly for less sophisticated users.
  • It's a great tool for those looking for a simple accounting solution.
  • Everything seems hidden in the menus, making it difficult to find what I'm looking for.
  • It doesn't run as many reports as the pc version, or if it does, it doesn't make it easy.
  • Journal entries give up flexibility for interface.
I think it would be great for a small firm looking for a simple quick and easy way to keep track of checks and do bank recs. Other than that, you really need to get a pc version equipped with much more flexibility and functionality. Moving from PC to Mac is really tricky with this QB.
Read Spencer Judd's full review
Brent Blackburn profile photo
June 20, 2014

Review: "QuickBooks for Mac - Great for Many Small Businesses, But Its Not the Only Program on the Block"

I support QuickBooks for Mac with multiple clients and I also use it to keep the financial books for my own company. It is great for the micro to small business with basic accounting needs. It handles the usual accounting functions like bank downloads, reconciliation, invoicing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, purchase orders, estimates, job costing, and budgeting. Payroll is available via Intuit Online Payroll.
  • The user interface is very "Mac-like" and yet QB for Windows users will be able to find most functions quickly, especially via the menus, as their layout is similar to the Windows version
  • If your accountant and/or bookkeeper uses QuickBooks for Windows, your file can be easily passed over to them after saving it as a Windows backup. You can also import journal entries they create on the Windows version directly into your company file.
  • The "Company Snapshot" function gives a great one-screen overview of your company's finances including profitability and receivable and payables.
  • The inventory function works but lacks units of measure, assembly items, price levels, and current availability functions.
  • The payroll imports from Intuit Online Payroll, so it is not completely integrated and provides no mechanism for assigning labor costs to jobs. You have to do your own journal entries in order to add those costs to jobs.
  • There is no Accountant's version, so your accountant or bookkeeper cannot work on a copy of your file and then import changes into your company file. However, this is less of a drawback than it might sound, since the Windows implementation of this is fraught with problems as well. Just ask any accountant or bookkeeper who uses it regularly. The new facility to import journal entries from the Windows version is very nice.
  • There is no SDK for developers, so there are no third-party applications available to add functionality like improved inventory, CRM, point-of-sale, etc. Does not even integrate with QuickBooks Point of Sale.
QuickBooks for Mac is a good option for small companies with basic accounting needs. It can be set up for multiple users networked together. It provides all basic accounting functions. The job costing is adequate for most companies, though probably not for contractors. If your inventory needs go beyond the basics, or you need a more fully integrated payroll, or you have multiple users who are mobile and always in different locations, then other solutions are more suitable.
Read Brent Blackburn's full review
Robyn Smithson, CB profile photo
June 20, 2014

User Review: "Is QuickBooks for Mac right for you?"

I am a Advanced Certified QuickBooks Pro Advisor. I do not actually use QuickBooks for Mac on a daily basis for my own business. I am a bookkeeper and I support QuickBooks for Mac clients and I have several clients using various versions of QuickBooks for Mac. It has improved greatly in the last few years.
  • QB for Mac allows Mac users a good accounting program without having to utilize parrallels or a virtual machine environment.
  • There are not nearly as many add on applications available to the QB for Mac user. QuickBooks is a great accounting program overall but there are many things it cannot do no matter what version and that is where the add on applications come in. However the choices are quite limited in the QB for Mac universe.
  • As there is no time sheet integration from the payroll program for the Mac version, if you need job costing, you must do it by utilizing what is called a zero dollar check. You unfortunately cannot push time data from payroll to invoicing like you can in the Windows version.
  • Many reports in the QB for Mac version do not have the ability to show details that are available in the Windows versions. Sometimes this make finding and correcting errors more difficult.
  • QB for Mac does not have the functionality of QB for Windows. Backing up and restoring files is one area that leaves a lot to be desired. The file label created automatically is not a clear cut as it is in the Windows version, and many people overwrite the wrong file and lose data.
I am vendor- and program-neutral until asking questions of the colleague looking for a recommendation. First and most important question: Are you a die hard MAC user who will not give it up even for a better accounting program? If yes, then: How comfortable are you running windows programs either on a PC or a Parallel environment? If that is a definite no, then QB for Mac is probably the way to go. However, it also depends on the business you will be running utilizing the Mac version. Are you a contractor with a full staff and job costing needs? Or a you a sole proprietor doing professional services and your books are pretty simple? I personally wouldn't recommend the Mac version for a contractor. Two of the clients that I support using QB for Mac are a single small family rental property and a professional services corporation. Neither has payroll or detailed job costing needs.
Read Robyn Smithson, CB's full review
April 18, 2016

QuickBooks for Mac Review: "If you want clarity in your numbers then get QuickBooks"

I use QuickBooks for Mac to manage all of my finances for my personal transactions and my bookkeeper accesses it. I also use it to send checks to my contractors (staff), vendors, and for participant incentive checks.

• Create Invoices
  • Track budgets and expenses
  • Allow to track internal transactions
  • The late updates
  • Efficient support
  • A few benefits or discounts
  • More capabilities
QuickBooks for Mac is great for managing and tracking income but support has some areas of opportunities.
June 16, 2014

QuickBooks for Mac Review: "Great for Mac Users!"

QuickBooks for Mac is currently being used as the main financial software for several clients of mine. These are small businesses that use MAC computers for all other work, so QuickBooks for Mac is a great tool that fits within their business structures. It also helps these companies avoid using a PC or the online versions, while also giving them the comfort and ease of using a computer system they're already familiar and comfortable with using. It is used across the organizations and seems to be a winning option for their financial management of their service-based businesses.
  • It has the familiar look and feel of QuickBooks for other platforms, making it an easy transition for someone not Mac-savvy.
  • It is easy to install and update regularly. It is also easy to create regular backups.
  • The size of the software is minimal, so hard drive space is not an issue.
  • Ideally, QuickBooks for Mac would be formatted a bit more like the other desktop version for PC. There is sometimes confusion as to what windows are open/closed, etc.
  • A better integration of online services would be great for QuickBooks for Mac.
  • The first assessment should be if the user wants a Mac-specific software for financial management.
  • Does the user want online access, or will they mainly use their own laptop or desktop Mac for QuickBooks access?
  • If the user wants access from any computer, at any time, QuickBooks for Mac may not be the best solution; QB Online may be a better solution, provided they use the proper internet browser.
June 16, 2014

QuickBooks for Mac Review: "Quick accounting and budget management"

Quickbooks for Mac is not being used by my organization; I use it for my private practice and it makes accounting and tax management much simpler.
  • Easy layout for check register
  • Canned reports are the ones you'll use most often
  • Can set as many user-defined income and expense categories as you need, for simple to complex budget management
  • The customer option is not set up well for systems outside retail; I would love to see more flexibility in this area
  • Quickbooks is not a practice management system, so it is not HIPAA-compliant
Quickbooks for Mac works beautifully for small businesses with few employees, or sole practitioners. I have not used it for payroll but I think that would be equally easy to use. QB helps me record and manage income and expenses so that tax time is less of a headache. I also like the simple graphical representations of profit and loss, so I can see how my business is doing each month.

Pay calculation (3)
Benefit plan administration (1)
Direct deposit files (2)
10.0
Salary revision and increment management (1)
Reimbursement management (2)
10.0
API for custom integration (2)
Plug-ins (3)
Single sign-on capability (8)
9.2
Role-based user permissions (7)
Dashboards (7)
Cash management (8)
Bank reconciliation (9)
Expense management (9)
Time tracking (4)
Fixed asset management (6)
6.6
Multi-currency support (4)
5.9
Multi-division support (4)
5.9
Regulations compliance (4)
5.3
Electronic tax filing (5)
9.2
Self-service portal (4)
Global Financial Support (2)
5.3
Primary and Secondary Ledgers (3)
Intercompany Accounting (3)
Localizations (2)
Journals and Reconciliations (5)
Enterprise Accounting (1)
Configurable Accounting (2)
5.3
Centralized Rules Framework (2)
Standardized Processes (3)
Inventory tracking (5)
Automatic reordering (6)
6.4
Location management (5)
Manufacturing module (4)
Pricing (8)
Order entry (8)
Credit card processing (8)
Cost of goods sold (7)
Order Orchestration (2)
9.4
End-to-end order visibility (2)
5.8
Order exception Resolution (2)
5.8
Branded client dashboards (3)
Client data roll-up capabilities (2)
9.9
Client data consolidation for benchmarking (2)
Configurable alerts (3)
Billing bypass (2)
9.9
Client template cloning (3)
Single sign-on (4)
Configurable client onboarding questions (3)
10.0
Cross-client workflow management (3)
Industry-specific versioning (3)
Legacy system data migration (3)

About QuickBooks for Mac