Accounts receivable (123)

Reporting & Analytics

General Ledger and Configurable Accounting

Inventory Management

Order Management

What is QuickBooks Online?

QuickBooks Online is a SaaS verison of the QuickBooks product. It contains all of the features found in the local version, features typical of similarly priced accounting software. The monthly fee for this service starts at $10 and climbs to $30 with the Plus version, which has the richest features. The base level allows for unlimited invoices and estimates, expense tracking, importing from Excel or Quickbooks desktop, data backup, mobile accessibility, and integration with many other applications. The Essentials pricing plan contain more automation, more bill and payment management, as well as inventory and time tracking, and the Plus package contains budgeting and analytic features.

QuickBooks Online Integrations

QuickBooks Online Competitors

QuickBooks Online Technical Details

Alternatives

What is QuickBooks Online?

QuickBooks Online is a SaaS version of the QuickBooks product. It contains all of the features found in the local version. Higher-priced plans include greater automation, payment management, inventory and time tracking, and analytics features.

What is QuickBooks Online's best feature?

Reviewers rate Localizations highest, with a score of 8.7.

Who uses QuickBooks Online?

The most common users of QuickBooks Online are from Small Businesses and the Accounting industry.

Kitty McClelland | TrustRadius Reviewer
I don't have very much to say against QuickBooks Online. The only issue I had for a couple months was the fact that when the State of Washington lowered our Unemployment rate, it took 4 calls to QBO to finally get it changed and matching what the state website showed that we owed. Other than that....it has been great using QBO. I have used the desktop version in the past, and I have to admit....I really like the online version, especially with COVID-19 shut downs....I was able to work from home ;-)
Program features and usability are pretty good and generally way more than I need. The way they bundle features drives you to select the more expensive option. This probably works okay for merchants and larger companies, but it's a financial burden for small companies like mine. In my case, I wish there was an option to trade off inventory management features for project management features. But I have to pay for both (currently $860/yr 2021). The payroll package is convenient, but too expensive (currently $1200/yr).
Zach Yokum | TrustRadius Reviewer
QuickBooks has long been a standard when it's come to small business accounting. Their tools work, the user interface is fairly intuitive to navigate, and it has suited the needs of our small business (11-20 employees) for the past 10 years. However, as we continue to grow and come into a greater need to control our branding, we find that QuickBooks Online often limits us in customization and branding. Plus, it just has some odds quirks in the coding of how the invoices are setup up that often requires us to "fight against the system" in order to accomplish what we want in our invoice structure.
Although the interface is easy to use for a lay person I have often found that when I sign on a new client that they have made several accounting errors that have impacting their P&L and Balance sheet that I've had to go back years to correct. So, I don't recommend it for anyone who doesn't have a basic bookkeeping degree.
Charles Fashana, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
It really is a perfect tool for small businesses that don't have a ton of complexity in their needs. It can easily handle a lot of customers, revenue and product types, etc. along with providing pretty good reporting. Where it will fall short is when you try to build out a more sophisticated account function that will look to more regularly report, budget, forecast.
Lukas Sundahl, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
QuickBooks Online is something that I would highly recommend to another small business owner. I am very happy with the product and features that I use it for with my business. Between the QuickBooks support and YouTube a person can easily find training content or answer a question about a specific task they are trying to complete.
Jeff Henkel | TrustRadius Reviewer
QuickBooks is well suited for both accountants and end users as far as usability and working with the basic software.
For accountants serving their business clients QuickBooks can more than suffice small to medium sized businesses.
For small business users it is a good option for starting out simple and then gradually using more aspects of the software.
I heartily recommend that all small business users connect with a QuickBooks Pro Advisor in order to get the most out of the software.
For a more robust organization, you really need to use QuickBooks Enterprise to provide more functionality. However, for a lean company with straightforward financials, it is an excellent choice, especially if you work remotely.
Works well for small businesses, however, if you tie to a larger project management system or ERP, it will give you all the function you need. The open API or Zapier integrations make it simple to work with other systems. The ability to import data from QuickBooks Desktop is simple and allows users to migrate from Desktop to Online in a few hours.
QuickBooks Online is definitely a great accounting software for small and medium-sized businesses who need a basic system to keep their books. For example, QuickBooks Online is a great fit for service organizations, contractors and freelancers who need to send invoices to their customers, record basic expenses and run a couple of standard reports to assess their profitability and financial position. We use QuickBooks Online at our software startup and it's a great fit at the moment. I would not recommend QuickBooks Online to manufacturing or some businesses that have production or inventory as they might across some limitations of QuickBooks Online.
Rob Martinek | TrustRadius Reviewer
In my opinion, this product will work for most small business. We don't need to track sales or inventory, so I cannot speak to that functionality. The ability to create and run financial reports is easy. I particularly like the Business Snapshot. The other great feature of the Online version is that you can access it from anywhere. I don't use this very often, but it sure is nice when I need info
May 01, 2021

Quickbooks and Me

it is the best software for small businesses who want to invest in their business with accurate and competitive bookkeeping, creating and managing invoices, creating and paying bills and keeping track of expenses, managing their own "financial health" and preparing for taxes--including business, payroll and quarterly. I have found the accuracy is spot on. The downloading of checks, credit card charges, and expenses is fast, accurate and convenient.
When isn't it appropriate? I don't know. We have been in business for
I think just about every industry and every company would benefit from QuickBooks Online. I own an MSP and have no problem recommending QuickBooks Online as the main accounting software for my clients. For small businesses, this software supports a wide variety of integrations and it's so affordable that businesses would be silly not to consider it.
Adrienne Gould-Choquette, P.E. | TrustRadius Reviewer
If you are a small business owner who does most or all of your accounting, I recommend QuickBooks Online. It is very user friendly, intuitive to navigate, and easy to link up with your accountant. I am an engineer by profession, with no accounting background. This saves time and gives me peace of mind that my books are accurate and up to date. Much of what is done in QuickBooks Online is automated, so it also saves me time.
Darcy Knapp, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
QuickBooks Online is well suited for any business with multiple clients and billing. Quickbooks desktop is better if you are tracking physical goods/inventory. We manage 500+ clients' billing with ease; you will find QuickBooks Online an awesome solution to managing your billing.
John Crumpton | TrustRadius Reviewer
QB is a very mature product. In my first business in 2001, I used a windows version of QuickBooks; they have a long history!

We used to send out estimates using Word, making a PDF and emailing, so it's a big time saver to just login, fill in some details an send it out.

For people in the UK it handles VAT calculations and making tax digital, so this also saves us time each quarter.
Devin Rowley | TrustRadius Reviewer
I think QuickBooks Online works best for small entrepreneurs who are starting to get real about their business. It doesn't require a lot of hardware investment, but it is as fully featured as some accounting software I have used for larger enterprises. If you are making consistent payments to multiple vendors on monthly basis, it's probably time to get an account.
Mark Anthony Sinchioco | TrustRadius Reviewer
This is well suited for smalls businesses who wants to keep track of their financial records. This is also great for individual use like example for freelancers like me. It's great to use in billing and invoicing. This also great in generating reports for expenditures as well as sales of products and services.
QuickBooks has great reports to be able to give to the board members. it is easy for our auditor to access when doing our financials. It gives the clear picture of financials. This also helps with reconciling our accounts on a monthly basis. It is easy to use and very user friendly when you have a problem.
QuickBooks helps a small company like us keep track of basic bookkeeping. We currently use invoicing from customers and vendors which we pay our bills and make deposits in QuickBooks as well. We track reporting which is easy to read and understand. Printing checks is easy to set up and use. QuickBooks for us, can run into connection issues which makes it frustrating at times.
It provides the necessary tools for controlling the finances of a small law firm and provides useful integrations and accountant access to streamline their access to financial data. If you are a larger firm, say over 20 employees, it may not be the best option. Your accountant would be the best source of information on the utility of Quickbooks online.
I really like the QuickBooks Online platform for its versatility and integration capabilities. I think QuickBooks Online is well suited to small to medium size businesses who need a better way of bookkeeping using automated integration to reduce the amount of workload entering data into the system. I don't believe QuickBooks Online would be well suited for Medium-Large businesses with multiple bookkeepers who might require additional meta-data on records such as date of entry and user who entered info.