Score 7.9 out of 10
QuickBooks Online

What is QuickBooks Online?

QuickBooks Online is a SaaS version of the QuickBooks product. It contains all of the features found in the local version. Higher-priced plans include greater automation, payment management, inventory and time tracking, and analytics features.

Completely Disappointed!

February 03, 2022

• Bank reconciliation (137)
  • Standard reports (128)
  • Accounts receivable (131)
  • Dashboards (124)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of QuickBooks Online, and make your voice heard!

Self-Employed

$15

Simple Start

$25

Plus

$75

Features

Payroll Management

Provides for pay calculation and benefit plan administration, in addition to managing direct deposit, salary revisions and payroll tracking.

5.8Avg 7.6

Customization

This addresses a company’s ability to configure the software to fit its specific use case and workflow.

5.6Avg 7.2

Security

This component helps a company minimize the security risks by controlling access to the software and its data, and encouraging best practices among users.

6.9Avg 8.1

Reporting & Analytics

Users can report on and analyze usage, performance, ROI, and/or other metrics of success.

7.3Avg 7.5

General Ledger and Configurable Accounting

Financial management solution, including capabilities for general ledger and configurable accounting

6.2Avg 7.4

Inventory Management

The ability to track and manage the flow of goods or materials into and out of an inventory.

4.9Avg 7.1

Order Management

The ability to process orders, and track them from quote to cash.

6.1Avg 7.5

What is QuickBooks Online?

QuickBooks Online is a SaaS verison of the QuickBooks product. It contains all of the features found in the local version, features typical of similarly priced accounting software. The monthly fee for this service starts at $10 and climbs to $30 with the Plus version, which has the richest features. The base level allows for unlimited invoices and estimates, expense tracking, importing from Excel or Quickbooks desktop, data backup, mobile accessibility, and integration with many other applications. The Essentials pricing plan contain more automation, more bill and payment management, as well as inventory and time tracking, and the Plus package contains budgeting and analytic features.

QuickBooks Online Competitors

QuickBooks Online Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based

Priority AccountEdge, FreshBooks, and Zoho Books are common alternatives for QuickBooks Online.

Reviewers rate Bank reconciliation highest, with a score of 7.6.

The most common users of QuickBooks Online are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

John Crumpton | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use QuickBooks Online for our company accounts at our agency, Doublesided. In my sales role, I use it to create estimates for prospects, record my expenses, and review the profit and loss reports.

My partners use QB to generate invoices and also record both staff and company expenses.
We use QBO to track sales, invoice customers, control inventory, issue POs, and link with bank. I also do accounting work for my daughter's business. As an esthetics spa, they use it to track sales and expenses. In my opinion, the integration with Square, which is used to collect credit card payments and control appointments, is abysmal. My other daughter is a CPA and has to manually do entries from Square to QBO to keep revenues updated in the system. I feel that both platforms are atrocious.
Katrina Marie (Hoyer) L.Ac | TrustRadius Reviewer
I was really hoping that all the reviews about poor customer service were isolated incidences. They clearly are not. I cannot believe how atrocious the customer service is. Twice on the chat function I've had reps say they were transferring me and they did not. I wonder if it's possible to transfer with chat. Previous to that I had a rep call me back because I was told I would get a call back about an issue. The rep immediately hang up when I answered. Presumably to make it look as though they called, but so they didn't actually have to help with anything. It seems next to impossible to actually get help with anything. It's transfer here and transfer there and disconnections etc. Based on the industry that this is in and what it is used for it blows my mind that it is so bad. There are some minor issues with the functionality of the website as well, those are minor and not a huge hinderance at this point.
QuickBooks Online is being used to do all of our bookkeeping, accounting, payroll and budgeting for all of our different accounts. Although I am the primary user, our grant writer, accountant, treasurer and auditor all have access to the program.
The hope was that it could provide bookkeeping services for our eCommerce business. We were previously on QuickBooks Desktop, and it seemed to make more sense to be with QuickBooks Online to have a more direct integration with our website. However, we never actually completed the implementation. Their Commerce product (which is supposed to integrate eCommerce with QuickBooks Online) is subpar and wasn't able to handle some basic eCommerce functionality. Beyond that, my experience with QuickBooks customer service has been so terrible that ultimately we've given up on trying to switch over, and will be canceling and going back to QuickBooks Online. It has been an exercise in frustration trying to deal with this company.
I use QuickBooks online for my small business as my accounting software. I also use it as the Accountant/Bookkeeper for several other small businesses to process their payroll & bookkeeping. I use the full product including payroll & time and attendance, with bookkeeping on a daily basis. I request my clients set up their businesses with QuickBooks to make processing easier.
Many problems with Quickbooks online: 1. Even though Quickbooks receives a payment and deposits it into our account, it will not show it as "deposited." 2. To get help, I pushed the "chat" button; got a chat person from Intuit, and he/she refused to help me because we are a nonprofit and not a "merchant." 3. The program will not let you charge the "customers" (members of the homeowners association) for the 10% ACH fee, so I have to pay for it myself. 4. There are no instructions on how to use the program. This was supposed to save me time, and it doesn't, and it doesn't work well at all.
February 03, 2022

Completely Disappointed!

I was referred to QuickBooks Online by several friends for my real estate business. I was told that it was the best accounting software to go with. So, I tried to sign up via the mobile app today, as I was told I could do this. However, when I signed up, I was automatically taken and enrolled in the next higher package, which I did not need. I only needed specific features. I was also trying to sign up under a specific online promotion, and immediately following that sign-up, a box popped up that said, 'the promotion has expired' and then went on to say it was charging me the full price, not the online promotional price. When I went to log on through my laptop, to try and see what had happened and to try and go into my account to change the plans/pricing - it was completely not user-friendly, whatsoever. And I couldn't change the account settings through the app either! So, I decided to call QuickBooks myself. Unbeknownst to me, I would then proceed to be on the phone for the last hour and a half, being transferred around to five people (literally)! Not one of them could help me (except for a woman on the online team named Jamie - she at least tried her best, but even she couldn't find the account settings to even help me navigate changing them because it wasn't user-friendly to her either!) She called and talked to the Sales Team, who said they could help me, and when she tried to transfer me, she couldn't. She told me that I would, unfortunately, have to call them directly. I tried this, and then had to explain the entire story for the fifth time and when he went to 'transfer' me again, NO ONE even picked up on that line! He told me that no one was picking up and that he was going to try again! At this point, I am so fed up, that I decide to just hang up! I had wasted the last hour and a half, time that I needed for my own business, and it was now wasted. I will now be going with a different accounting software program, especially when you can't even get help when you need it. This is absolutely unacceptable in my eyes, and I am extremely disappointed. And it's too bad because multiple of us were going to sign up to start using their software.
We are a small construction company building and remodeling houses in the Pacific Northwest. I use QBO for bookkeeping, project accounting and payroll (3 employees). I handle most the bookkeeping activities at the end of each week, payroll at the end of each month, and my tax accountant handles quarterlies and annual filings.
I currently support QuickBooks Online for one of my customers who uses it to manage all of their accounting needs along with the selection of inventory they sell in their storefront. I manage it from an admin/rollout standpoint and have several years of experience using it myself. It handles all the accounting needs with ease for this company and then some. They used to have QuickBooks software installed on a server and several of their PCs, and the online version has completely eliminated the need for that server and the worry of having to back it up daily.
Adrienne Gould-Choquette, P.E. | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use QuickBooks Online for our accounting needs including tracking estimates, invoicing, banking, receiving payments, bill payment, and tracking expenses. We are also able to create financial reports to help us predict volume of work trends and let us know how we are performing. Additionally, our accountant has access to QuickBooks Online so that they can retrieve the information and reports they need to prepare our taxes.
We use QB as our general accounting and payment system across our entire organization. As a small company, it offers a tested, acceptable, and cost-effective solution to our accounting needs. It offers a variety of functionality important in tracking planned expenditures and commitments (eg Purchase order generation), goods receipt, accounts payable, and integrates with our 3rd party payroll providers. We currently utilize its check printing capabilities and are planning the future implementation of its electronic payment functionalities. As a small company, we find it easy to train new users due to readily available training materials and pragmatic built-in help functions.
Darcy Knapp, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
QuickBooks Online is an integral part of our business. We run all invoices, recurring revenue, and e-commerce transactions. We bill clients for services with a variety of billing terms (monthly, quarterly, annually) and having QuickBooks Online keeps us on track for all billing, organized, and makes month-end reconciliation easy for my bookkeeper.
Zach Yokum | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our company uses QuickBooks Online for all of our billing and financial reporting. We currently have 5 active users, 4 of which are for project managers on our team, and then one account for our accountant to monitor activity for tax/accounting purposes. Primarily though, QuickBooks is used for sending out invoices for work completed.
I own a bookkeeping business and regularly assist business owners with managing their books. QuickBooks Online helps us to clearly see where money is coming in and exactly where the money is going out. Every dollar has a name and we can make informed decisions on how to adjust expenses and/or sales to create more profit. QuickBooks Online is user friendly with pulling and customizing reports, which allows us to see exactly what we need each month.
Quickbooks is used across our organization for quoting and following up on estimates, tracking sales and profit/loss over the financial quarter, sending and automatically chasing outstanding invoices, bookkeeping and reporting. The dashboard overview provides key information in an easy to scan view.
We use it for business bookkeeping like billing, invoicing, quotes, expense tracking, inventory, and most important payment integration. This is SME, so it is used mainly by the owner. Can't undo mistakes, which ends up calling support. A price hike on a regular basis and integration with other products not as seamless as one would like.