QuickBooks Online Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Joel McAfee | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• One of my favorite things Quickbooks Online does well is automation of Payroll. I never have to worry if taxes are calculated correctly or print checks - it's all automated and direct deposited. Normally i'd have to pay an accountant to keep up with this or calculate myself - but this is far more efficient.
  • Quickbooks Online as opposed to the older software model allows you the conveniences and confidence of a secure bookkeeping software along with the modernization of cloud based access.
  • Automated tax payment calculations and reminders help me make sure I'm never late for payments, which if you've ever been late on an income tax payment - you don't want that to happen.
  • The feature-set of QBO is so broad that it's sometimes hard to know how to get behind the veil of the simplistic interface and to really put it to use. It would be great to have some built in, hands on training for small business owners who are accounting novices.
  • I have had issues at times where the OS X software doesn't want to load the Quickbooks Online account, which a restart usually fixes - but that's a bit annoying. The browser version usually works pretty flawlessly.
  • Some of the end of year tax systems are built into QBO as third party plug ins (like for 1099 filing i.e.) - which is a bit odd. I'd almost rather integrate them then white label rather than having it take me to some third party website or design layout within the same window. Minor improvement but it does feel a bit clunky.
Read Joel McAfee's full review
Amanda Layman | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Ease of use/gamification.
  • Syncing with bank accounts and PayPal.
  • Some menu items are tricky to find/not as intuitive as I'd like.
  • My accountant has mentioned that QB sometimes makes changes to its service agreements/pricing that can be a pain for her when managing her accounting business.
Read Amanda Layman's full review
Warren Marland | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• 24/7 access in the cloud to our books from geographically diverse locations and timezones
  • Relatively simple interface for non finance people who need to deal with invoicing or entry of bills
  • Relatively low cost solution
  • Compared to the full desktop version, there is still a great deal of functionality missing. In particular sales orders and greater levels of report and invoice customization.
  • There is a desktop app that can be downloaded but it doesn't really do much to provide better access than directly through the browser. It could be developed to provide better offline access or at least storage of some regularly used data.
  • Unfortunately, there just isn't much out there that answers all the needs and QBO is more of a 'better the devil you know' solution than one that I would actively advocate.
Read Warren Marland's full review
Samarah Sardoni | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• QuickBooks Online allows me to create "delayed charges" which helps forecast income as well as guarantee that invoicing is not forgotten.
  • QuickBooks Online has several shortcuts to get to where I need to go faster. For example, jumping directly to a client or invoice number.
  • My favorite feature on QuickBooks Online is that I am able to plan ahead for project invoicing and create custom reports that fit my exact needs.
  • Whenever I set up a new invoice or delayed charge and adjust the due date, it uses that same due date for my next invoice. It can get very confusing if I'm not extremely attentive while I am adding in delayed charges.
  • When I create a delayed charge, I add in a "memo" line, but when I create an invoice based on that delayed charge, that memo line does not transfer over.
  • After I've created a line item in an invoice, if I change the "category" or "department" it clears out all other details and forces me to start over.
Read Samarah Sardoni's full review
Brian Welch | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Invoicing - I can create products and services as well as enter line items "free-form" for a more specialized service.
  • Sales tax calculation - NJ has changed the sales tax rate 3 times since I went into business. Changing the tax rate is easy, and the calculations Quickbooks does keeps it on track.
  • Expense Tracking - You can create rules to make it easier to track expenses.
  • Announcing changes- The last major changes had me thrown off because I didn't have a preview or transition period.
  • Support - Too much of support can get shrugged over to an accountant, who then tells me it's a Quickbooks issue.
Read Brian Welch's full review
Tammy Roberts | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Syncing banking transactions makes it really easy to know when the accounts are current.
  • Accepting payments directly through invoicing is a great time saver.
  • I know who has done what tasks through the audit trail.
  • Interactive reports/hyperlinks provide personal customization for the user and provides many places to change or correct data easily.
  • Accepting pre-payments is a hassle and would love to have a way to not have to re-touch invoices in the undeposited funds account due to date incompatibly.
  • Finding matches for transactions on a more intuitive level would be helpful.
  • Providing short videos on simple tasks as quick links within the current screen would be awesome.
Read Tammy Roberts's full review
Christopher Cantrall | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Large list of features. There is a lot of functionality packed into QuickBooks Online. It can fill the role of multiple other tools.
  • Being the industry standard. Need an app to interface with QuickBooks Online? It will. Need to connect an accountant? They all know how to use it.
  • Constant innovation. New features get added constantly and improved constantly.
  • Sluggish platform. The interface itself is slick, but slower than it needs to be. A lot of time is wasted waiting for loading.
  • Service unavailability. At times certain parts of the QuickBooks Online platform go down. It's more frequent than it should be.
Read Christopher Cantrall's full review
Susan Hammiche | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Provides an overview of financial standings in various reports.
  • Easy to use and access.
  • Print checks to pay bills.
  • Reduce cost by being able to do payroll ourselves.
  • It has a monthly cost to maintain.
  • No job costing or large inventory management.
  • Direct deposit to vendors not available.
Read Susan Hammiche's full review
Meiyee Apple Tam | TrustRadius Reviewer

• Track billing.
  • Create reports.
  • Categorize expenses.
  • Track payments.
  • Timekeeping is not as specific.
  • It doesn't talk to our program, an in-house intranet called ArchiOffice.
  • Is not meant for our specific industry, which is architecture, so we have to use another program, ArchiOffice.
  • Project management is lacking.
Read Meiyee Apple Tam's full review
Ayo Bamgbose, Assoc CIPD, MSc | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Ability to import and export reports that you will need to help you do your self-assessment annual taxes.
  • Connect your bank accounts and set it to recognize different types of expense and total up your business profits.
  • The ability to take photos of your invoices and receipts and stores them for you.
  • Draft invoices that I'm then able to send to my clients.
  • The app is very limited in what it can really do when trying to manage your accounts on the go.
  • The connection with my bank accounts keeps getting disconnected and I'm constantly having to reconnect them which is time-consuming and annoying.
  • There's a learning curve with using QuickBooks Online if you've never used accounting software. I had to watch a lot of video tutorials online.
Read Ayo Bamgbose, Assoc CIPD, MSc's full review

Pros and Cons

• Cloud based accounting provides users with anytime access that allows work to be completed faster. Gone are the days of having to be at the office or use remote access software to use the QuickBooks file when away from the office.
  • Robust tools for importing client data whether it is from desktop versions of QuickBooks or other software vendors
  • Growing resources of add-on apps in the Intuit apps marketplace. Allows users to add additional systems (CRM, inventory, ecommerce)
  • New UI (Harmony Edition) is a bit confusing for some users to get used to. Navigation is not very intuitive and many users have to search for things that were easy to find in prior versions.
  • Bank feeds could be better. Some of the transactions that come in from the bank do not import the correct information need to correctly code transactions, thus taking time to research.
  • Advanced features (job costing, inventory, multiple currencies) are not available in the basic version and users must purchase the Plus version or purchase add-ons
  • The reporting in not as robust in QBO versus the desktop product.
  • The software is "walled" in that it does not integrate with non-Intuit tax and accounting products, practice management, workflow management, or portal solutions (unless add-ons)

Pros and Cons

• QuickBooks Online is able to handle all variety of transactions we need as a professional services firm.
  • QuickBooks Online makes sharing our information with our accounting support team very easy and seamless.
  • QuickBooks Online has a lot of capability, which at times can be confusing for simpler businesses.
  • QuickBooks Online needs to build integration with Professional Employer Organizations.

Pros and Cons

• Streamline quarterly billing. By creating a recurring sales receipt that goes out to my clients, it saves me time each quarter by not having to manually push them through.
  • The secure portal (attachments) enables me to quickly upload monthly credit card and bank account statements to my bookkeeper for reconciliation purposes.
  • Mobile access seems confusing at times due to a slightly different interface on the mobile app compared to the online version.
  • ACH and credit card process fees, while norm for the industry, seem like they should be reduced given the overall size of the QuickBooks organization.

• Good for Invoices.
  • Cloud based means easy access.
  • Overall number of features makes this system effective for most businesses.
  • Occasionally, features are not intuitive.
  • It can be expensive.
  • Customer service wait times can be very long.

• Cloud-Based Accounting
  • Simple and Straightforward UI
  • Quick Response Time
  • Cleaning up outdated reports is time-consuming
  • Exporting Reports to Excel/PDF has been troublesome a fair number of times
  • Audit log could be more transparent

Pros and Cons

• The user interface is relatively easy to follow. Because it is such a popular system, there is a copious amount of free training information out there to use.
  • Being able to access the accounting software from anywhere on any device is a huge plus.
  • For what you get with Quickbooks Online, it really is quite affordable.
  • Since the software is on the 'cloud' connecting to the server can take a little more time than I'd like. This is simply a side-effect of having a bad internet connection depending on where I'm at and not necessarily a defect of the software. If the software was just installed on my computer, this wouldn't be an issue.
  • The system is perfect for an individual that is not well versed in accounting systems. Can feel restrictive at times if you're familiar with other accounting software application. The user experience is certainly geared toward a novice user.
Jennifer Walschap | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• The user interface is clean and things are easy to find. This saves us time from having to look for things we need. If we can't find something, the Help and Search features are easy to use.
  • There is a bar graph at the top of my Customers page that shows a breakdown of overdue invoices, open invoices, and those that have been paid in the last 30 days. This is nice because I can see all this information quickly when I need it.
  • We can customize invoices as much as we need to and it is very user-friendly. We can email individual invoices or in bulk to save time. We can send invoice reminders and statements in a flash as well. All of these things help us get paid on time.
  • I've had a hard time linking Quickbooks with my bank account and then categorizing my income/expenses. I'm not sure why, but I wish there was someone who could help with this.
  • I wish that I could make the emailed invoices come from my own email address so they have less of a chance of going to clients' spam inboxes.
  • It's a little annoying that they really try to push the Online version versus the software version. I asked a sales rep on the online chat about it once and he really tried to discourage me, saying that they don't offer ANY support if you have the software. I suppose they make more money with online subscriptions.
Read Jennifer Walschap's full review
Dylan DeClerck | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Bank Connection - it's so nice to be able to pull expenses and deposits directly from our bank account into QuickBooks for categorization, this was the primary reason we chose the online version.
  • Categorization of Expenses - easy to categorize expenses and assign them to a certain vendor (same for sales and customers).
  • Reporting - Statement of Activity, Financial Position and Revenue by Customer are the most used reports.
  • Non-profit functionality for fundraising - I have to categorize accounts receivable as sales, and instead of being able to show collection of the sale and put the funds into our fundraising (income) account upon collection, I have to delete the sale and recategorize the expense as a fundraising
  • Reports could be more clearly labeled so I could find what I need better (e.g. being able to pull how much I paid a contractor by name).
  • Reconciliation of errors between bank and QuickBooks accounts - I make mistakes, I need to know there's an easy way to reset the account to zero our minor errors, but have not yet found the means to do so.
Read Dylan DeClerck's full review

Pay calculation (42)
Benefit plan administration (19)
Direct deposit files (37)
Salary revision and increment management (27)
Reimbursement management (27)
API for custom integration (28)
Plug-ins (30)
Single sign-on capability (41)
Role-based user permissions (50)
Dashboards (65)
Bank reconciliation (70)
Expense management (61)
Time tracking (30)
5.6
Fixed asset management (29)
6.5
Multi-currency support (10)
4.2
Multi-division support (25)
Regulations compliance (19)
6.6
Electronic tax filing (28)
Self-service portal (28)
Global Financial Support (4)
Primary and Secondary Ledgers (9)
Intercompany Accounting (12)
Localizations (7)
Journals and Reconciliations (28)
Enterprise Accounting (9)
Configurable Accounting (13)
Centralized Rules Framework (7)
Standardized Processes (16)
Manufacturing module (8)
3.2
Pricing (27)
Order entry (26)
Credit card processing (31)
Cost of goods sold (33)
Order Orchestration (5)
End-to-end order visibility (6)
Order exception Resolution (5)

About QuickBooks Online

QuickBooks Online is a SaaS verison of the QuickBooks product. It contains all of the features found in the local version, features typical of similarly priced accounting software. The monthly fee for this service starts at $10 and climbs to $30 with the Plus version, which has the richest features. The base level allows for unlimited invoices and estimates, expense tracking, importing from Excel or Quickbooks desktop, data backup, mobile accessibility, and integration with many other applications. The Essentials pricing plan contain more automation, more bill and payment management, as well as inventory and time tracking, and the Plus package contains budgeting and analytic features.

QuickBooks Online Integrations