Score 9 out of 10
Read Joel McAfee's full review
Pros and Cons
- One of my favorite things Quickbooks Online does well is automation of Payroll. I never have to worry if taxes are calculated correctly or print checks - it's all automated and direct deposited. Normally i'd have to pay an accountant to keep up with this or calculate myself - but this is far more efficient.
- Quickbooks Online as opposed to the older software model allows you the conveniences and confidence of a secure bookkeeping software along with the modernization of cloud based access.
- Automated tax payment calculations and reminders help me make sure I'm never late for payments, which if you've ever been late on an income tax payment - you don't want that to happen.
- The feature-set of QBO is so broad that it's sometimes hard to know how to get behind the veil of the simplistic interface and to really put it to use. It would be great to have some built in, hands on training for small business owners who are accounting novices.
- I have had issues at times where the OS X software doesn't want to load the Quickbooks Online account, which a restart usually fixes - but that's a bit annoying. The browser version usually works pretty flawlessly.
- Some of the end of year tax systems are built into QBO as third party plug ins (like for 1099 filing i.e.) - which is a bit odd. I'd almost rather integrate them then white label rather than having it take me to some third party website or design layout within the same window. Minor improvement but it does feel a bit clunky.