https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/ll/4h/XJZ17T7UEUPU.JPEGQuickBooks Premier 2018 is the wave of the future in accounting!We use Quickbooks Premier (2018 version) primarily for A/P, A/R, and payroll functions within our small marketing company. This program solves invoicing and vendor payment issues as well as making payroll simple and nearly seamless. We do also file state and federal tax forms within B for ease of reporting and data collection. The many reports available make financial statement analysis simple.,Data entry and compilation are seamless and easy with QB Premier 2018. Invoicing is smooth and statements can now be sent including a "PAST DUE" stamp. Financial statements are easy to combine and draw information directly out to provide for company owners, banks, and investors. The ability to move screens over and out to more monitors is amazing!,I would like to see the multi window controls improved to include icons rather than the left sidebar menu. Inventory control could be improved some although I do not use it much in this position I have had opportunities in the past that would have been a bit more simple had the function been more user-friendly. I am still learning some of the new functions in this version but overall I think QB does a great job of minimizing the stress in my job as an accounting manager.,10,QB Premier has streamlined many previously manual entry accounting processes within our company effectively saving time and money! QB Premier has saved my company several thousand dollars each year in man hours it would take for manual entry and adjustment of our books.,,Microsoft Office 365, Norton Internet Security, McAfee,3,1,Payroll - my employees appreciate the accuracy and speed with which I am able to get their payroll completed each payperiod. Invoicing - my customers appreciate the clarity and accuracy with which i am able to provide them detailed information regarding their purchase. Payables - My vendors appreciate the detail they are given in receiving their payments for products or services provided.,We use QuickBooks premier to closely manage employee pay and raises. New functionality in 2018 includes payroll wage change reporting.,In the future we plan to incorporate a fully functional virtual inventory using QB,10QuickBooks Premier Works Well For Smaller CompaniesWe use QuickBooks Premier for AP, AR, asset management, account reconciliations, payroll, and financial reports.,The bank related transactions are good. It's easy to record payments, make deposits, and reconcile the bank accounts. I like the feature that allows you to find the invoice being paid by the number when it's not clear who the correct customer is. Entering bills and credit card payments are a snap, especially for monthly recurring charges. You can use the repeat transaction function, but I like to use the copy function. Just change the date, invoice number, and amount if needed and it's entered easy peasy. Paying bills is another good function. Just click those you want to pay. When you are making a partial payment on an invoice, it's simple to adjust the amount to be paid. Voiding or deleting a check is easy when needed, but you need to be very careful when doing those transactions. Once in a while, I will pay a group of bills and issue the checks, and the next time I go to make a check run the last check from the prior group will show on my ledger as the check needs to be printed. So I have to watch that. It's also easy to print checks with the wrong date on them because QB will use the last date you used. So if you are entering AP invoices and they are dated a few days prior, the checks will come out with that date on them. I have to download a lot of my data from QB to do analysis in Excel. The download process is nice. There are a lot of options for canned reports to select, and you can save your favorites so you don't have to set them up each time. We create our invoices in QB Premier and it is my least fun function of the month. Last year we started to import the data from a cloud-based system that holds our timesheet data using a 3rd party product to perform the upload. This then translates into our customer invoices. The process is quick and easy, and it has shortened my billing process by 2 days because I no longer have to manually input the timesheet data to create the invoices. It's was a bit intimidating at first, but well worth the effort in the long run.,Several times a month I need to explort some of my data from QB Premier into Excel to do analysis and there is a limit to the number of columns I can export at a time. When I am working with payroll reports, the columns exceed the limit, so I have to split the report in half and combine them again in Excel. It takes a lot of time, and the further we get into a calendar year the longer it takes. There is lots of room for manual error in this process and payroll data has to be perfect. I'm constantly double checking to make sure I'm staying true. I would love to have more functionality in setting up the templates. We've had to make some concessions on what we would like to show because of space constraints, there is no way to subtotal an invoice (for example, these are the total professionsl fees and these are the total reimbursable expenses) and if the invoice has multiple pages it does not subtotal the page or allow the customer to easily tell this is a multi-page document. It also took me quite a while to figure out how to get my reimbursable expenses onto the invoices from the import function. I would like to be able to tell the average days it takes a customer to pay their invoices. QB Premier will give you that data, but it won't allow you to select a specific time period so if you've had a customer for 10 years and they seem to be slowing down the payments, you can't tell because the canned reports will cover the entire 10 year period. I would like to see, for example, how this customer 's payment trends changed over time to help signal when a customer might be getting into a pattern so I can react quicker.,6,My focus is to get financial information to my C-Team as quickly and as accurately as possible so they can make informed decisions in a timely manner. QB Premier helps me make that happen. The price of QB Premier is very reasonable. There are discounts offered a couple times a year so we can upgrade every so often. And when you do upgrade, it's seamless for me. That saves time and money, and I can feel confident my data is safe during the change.,PeopleSoft FinancialsQuickBooks Premier is Great!I used Quickbooks Premier as part of my role at an architectural firm as I was in charge of all of the finances of the company. As a small to mid-sized company, it was very helpful with handling the bookkeeping, including invoicing, A/R, A/P, etc., which allowed me to multi-task alongside my other responsibilities as the office manager.,The reporting features are quick and easy. True time saver! Great support including online groups and boards to help with those rare occasions when you need something special. Great plugins to help with some of the daily tasks required for a professional services firm.,Customization of reports can be limiting. Busy interface compared to QB online. Hard to find where certain lists or information can be found.,9,Great use for the pricetag Allows one to multi-task Speeds up daily tasks,Deltek Vision,Microsoft Office 2016, Adobe Acrobat DC, Skype for BusinessGreat reports in QBWe use QB across our whole organization. Not only do I use it for accounting, bookkeeping and billing, but the account managers are able to process the estimates for job proposals. This keeps everyone organized and also allows us to see where our money flows into and out of with all of the many reports. I love the customizable reports. They allow us to really become efficient in our reporting.,Reporting Accountability Streamlining of the billing and automatic payments with memorized transactions Recurring payments!,You aren't able to open an estimate if you already have an estimate that you are working on. The same with invoices. I can't open more than one to compare the two.,9,We have been able to see our accrual and cash flow.,,TSheets, Apple iCloudQuickBooks Premier ReviewWe use it to handle our accounting as well as using the software to manage our clients' accounting.,Tracks AR to know who owes money & how much Provides financial reports based off information that is put into the software User-friendly software helps with training someone who hasn't used the software before.,Basics are solid, for what I use it for, it is good.,10,Postive - we use is daily,Xero,Gqueues, TSheets
QuickBooks Premier

QuickBooks Premier Reviews

QuickBooks Premier
Top Rated Award
Filter 235 vetted QuickBooks Premier reviews and ratings
Tracie Jones profile photo
February 06, 2018

Review: "QuickBooks Premier 2018 is the wave of the future in accounting!"

• Data entry and compilation are seamless and easy with QB Premier 2018.
  • Invoicing is smooth and statements can now be sent including a "PAST DUE" stamp.
  • Financial statements are easy to combine and draw information directly out to provide for company owners, banks, and investors.
  • The ability to move screens over and out to more monitors is amazing!
  • I would like to see the multi window controls improved to include icons rather than the left sidebar menu.
  • Inventory control could be improved some although I do not use it much in this position I have had opportunities in the past that would have been a bit more simple had the function been more user-friendly.
  • I am still learning some of the new functions in this version but overall I think QB does a great job of minimizing the stress in my job as an accounting manager.
I use QuickBooks premier in my business which is internet marketing/affiliate market-related. I have also helped other companies set up and begin using QB Premier in industries such as manufacturing and construction. With the right setup and add-ons, QB can be used in nearly all scenarios with ease. I find the program user-friendly and although I would not call it foolproof, easily taught to even those without an accounting background.
Read Tracie Jones's full review
Debora Darden, MBA profile photo
January 26, 2018

Review: "QuickBooks Premier Works Well For Smaller Companies"

• The bank related transactions are good. It's easy to record payments, make deposits, and reconcile the bank accounts. I like the feature that allows you to find the invoice being paid by the number when it's not clear who the correct customer is.
  • Entering bills and credit card payments are a snap, especially for monthly recurring charges. You can use the repeat transaction function, but I like to use the copy function. Just change the date, invoice number, and amount if needed and it's entered easy peasy.
  • Paying bills is another good function. Just click those you want to pay. When you are making a partial payment on an invoice, it's simple to adjust the amount to be paid. Voiding or deleting a check is easy when needed, but you need to be very careful when doing those transactions. Once in a while, I will pay a group of bills and issue the checks, and the next time I go to make a check run the last check from the prior group will show on my ledger as the check needs to be printed. So I have to watch that. It's also easy to print checks with the wrong date on them because QB will use the last date you used. So if you are entering AP invoices and they are dated a few days prior, the checks will come out with that date on them.
  • I have to download a lot of my data from QB to do analysis in Excel. The download process is nice. There are a lot of options for canned reports to select, and you can save your favorites so you don't have to set them up each time.
  • We create our invoices in QB Premier and it is my least fun function of the month. Last year we started to import the data from a cloud-based system that holds our timesheet data using a 3rd party product to perform the upload. This then translates into our customer invoices. The process is quick and easy, and it has shortened my billing process by 2 days because I no longer have to manually input the timesheet data to create the invoices. It's was a bit intimidating at first, but well worth the effort in the long run.
  • Several times a month I need to explort some of my data from QB Premier into Excel to do analysis and there is a limit to the number of columns I can export at a time. When I am working with payroll reports, the columns exceed the limit, so I have to split the report in half and combine them again in Excel. It takes a lot of time, and the further we get into a calendar year the longer it takes. There is lots of room for manual error in this process and payroll data has to be perfect. I'm constantly double checking to make sure I'm staying true.
  • I would love to have more functionality in setting up the templates. We've had to make some concessions on what we would like to show because of space constraints, there is no way to subtotal an invoice (for example, these are the total professionsl fees and these are the total reimbursable expenses) and if the invoice has multiple pages it does not subtotal the page or allow the customer to easily tell this is a multi-page document. It also took me quite a while to figure out how to get my reimbursable expenses onto the invoices from the import function.
  • I would like to be able to tell the average days it takes a customer to pay their invoices. QB Premier will give you that data, but it won't allow you to select a specific time period so if you've had a customer for 10 years and they seem to be slowing down the payments, you can't tell because the canned reports will cover the entire 10 year period. I would like to see, for example, how this customer 's payment trends changed over time to help signal when a customer might be getting into a pattern so I can react quicker.
Based on the size and operations of our firm, QuickBooks Premier is a good product. It feels like we're on the verge of outgrowing it though as we've had some significant growth in the last 2 years. For small companies with 50 people or less and an annual income of under $10MM, I think it's a great product. Also, it depends on the line of business and the scope of work. We would love to be able to run a profit and loss statement by service line, but when the program was set up many years ago that was not a consideration. If you are just starting out, try to envision how you might want the system to function for you in 5 years and not just today. If you are a company that gets audited by anyone, QuickBooks Premier is not going to be the best because you can change transactions and auditors like to see a trail.
Read Debora Darden, MBA's full review
Daniel Miles profile photo
January 25, 2018

User Review: "QuickBooks Premier is Great!"

• The reporting features are quick and easy. True time saver!
  • Great support including online groups and boards to help with those rare occasions when you need something special.
  • Great plugins to help with some of the daily tasks required for a professional services firm.
  • Customization of reports can be limiting.
  • Busy interface compared to QB online.
  • Hard to find where certain lists or information can be found.
I think QuickBooks Premier is great for small to mid-sized companies as it does have greatly needed features without the gigantic price tag associated with some of the larger types of accounting and project management software. I think if you also had a self-owned business, this is a perfect way to stay on top of the company finances while working with an outside accountant or CPA firm.
Read Daniel Miles's full review
Lindsey Almond profile photo
February 16, 2018

QuickBooks Premier Review: "Great reports in QB"

• Reporting
  • Accountability
  • Streamlining of the billing and automatic payments with memorized transactions
  • Recurring payments!
  • You aren't able to open an estimate if you already have an estimate that you are working on. The same with invoices. I can't open more than one to compare the two.
I have QB desktop. It's suited to the security of the details of our company.
Read Lindsey Almond's full review
Dawn Carey profile photo
January 15, 2018

"QuickBooks Premier Review"

• Tracks AR to know who owes money & how much
  • Provides financial reports based off information that is put into the software
  • User-friendly software helps with training someone who hasn't used the software before.
  • Basics are solid, for what I use it for, it is good.
Does very well with service based businesses.
Read Dawn Carey's full review
Eileen Loughlin profile photo
December 20, 2017

"Quickbooks Premier Review"

Quickbooks Premier Contractor's Version is being used in our organization to track sale estimates and/or proposals for both commercial and residential clientele. It is also utilized as the primary accounting software to track income, expense, and financials. It allows us to easily pull historical estimates and/or proposals that might be re-activated and produce actual business revenue. It also allows us to quickly provide accounting information to the corporate accountant for year-end functions.
  • Estimates
  • Invoicing
  • Reports
  • Income Tracker and batch transaction ability especially with in-activating old estimate/proposals.
  • Allowing the user to specify page breaks.
  • Backup naming conventions should be set to increment automatically instead of deleting previous versions.
I believe the online version is somewhat adequate for small business only without many transactions. Any business with over 25 customers should be referred to the desktop version. First, because the online version does not have the same capabilities as the desktop version, and secondly there are usually far more transactions and multiple invoices.
Read Eileen Loughlin's full review
January 25, 2018

QuickBooks Premier Review: "My accounting platform of choice!"

I use QuickBooks Premier in my line of business daily. This is the platform that I also recommend to my clients. Being an accounting professional, I need a platform that would offer customizations for different industries, tracking of billable expenses, creation of various financial statements to analyze profitability, quick lookup of items. I find that this QuickBooks product most fully addresses these needs.
  • QuickBooks Premier has all the basic functions of the QuickBooks Basic plus industry-specific tools for inventory management, cost-tracking and much more.
  • QuickBooks Premier has an extensive set of reports that can be customized for profitability analysis. Plus AR/AP reports are an excellent tool to help manage cash flow.
  • QuickBooks Premier is inexpensive in a long run as opposed to QuickBooks Online where you pay monthly recurring fees, those add up quickly!
  • Learning some of the advanced functions can be time-consuming, but there is lots of online support through QB community and YouTube training videos.
  • While it's more efficient and comprehensive, QuickBooks Online gives instant simultaneous access to business owners and accounting professionals. Same cannot be said about QuickBooks Premier desktop version.
Companies with in-house accounting will benefit most from this platform. It is a fast desktop version with an easy job costing process from estimate to PO, order tracking, and unbilled time. That is a great feature for contractors, who create estimates with many lines - platform makes it easy to convert to PO/invoice.
January 24, 2018

QuickBooks Premier Review: "QuickBooks and Forget It!"

QuickBooks Premier is the accounting software I used at my previous employer and my current employer. Both companies varied in their product, one was in travel and the other in healthcare but Quickbooks Premier is able to track everything both organizations need. The software is easy to use and train others to use. It tracks everything you need within an accounting department as long as you use its functions.
  • Quickbooks Premier allows you to link your bank accounts and credit cards to download transactions allowing you to have fewer errors when inputting your data.
  • Quickbooks Premier has a variety of easy to generate and easy to use reports. Tracking A/R and A/P are a breeze and the data is available within a few clicks.
  • Quickbooks Premier printable checks takes the hassle out of tracking your expenses in separate locations.
  • Quickbooks Premier should allow you to edit the amount of memorized transactions. Currently you have to delete a transaction from your memorized list and add a new one.
QuickBooks Premier is well suited for small to middle sized businesses. It is good for business owners who want to track their finances on their own and companies that only want to employ a bookkeeper either part-time or as needed. It also works for middle-sized companies as a way to track their finances to give to their tax accountants. I am not sure what scenarios QuickBooks Premier is not good in as they are able to mold their product for different industries upon setup.

July 07, 2017

QuickBooks Premier Review: "Accounting on a Fast Track"

[It's being used for] Tracking our expenses (which we do on a daily basis and it provides an optimum base for running future reports), sending invoices (easy for us to produce immediate invoices for customers and they are all formatted the same), online payments (makes it easy for customers to pay) as well as running P & L reports.
  • Record expenses for audits in our case.
  • There is an option to even photograph and save your receipts with your phone.
  • You can also automatically download and categorize bank and credit card transactions
  • Customized reporting can be enhanced
Well suited for small companies but when you have a larger scale, it may not be very efficient in managing the load. I have used it for 500 employees and also for 50 employees and the volume does make a difference. It does not easily address reporting on a large scale.
Silvia Evans profile photo
March 16, 2016

Review: "QuickBooks Premier does a great job for my clients!"

We use QuickBooks Premier to manage finances and payroll activities; it is used in conjunction with third party apps. Everyone in the organization uses the product either to support the company or to support our clients. Not every client is on this version. Some clients are on earlier or later years of Premier. Some clients are on QuickBooks Online. It solves the bookkeeping matters, such as payables and receivables, keeps records to support tax preparation and records payroll. It is used for budgeting and planning. It is simpler for the clients to understand as compared to the module based accounting systems.
  • It is intuitive for the client. For example, when the client goes to write a check, a screen opens that looks like a check.
  • It does all the debits and credits behind the scenes, so the client does not need to have an understanding of debits and credits.
  • There is a lot of support and a big community of users, so it is easy to get help, and to find staff that know how to work with the software.
  • The desktop version is much more robust than the online version, and the processing speed is much better.
  • You can only have average cost for inventory. No last-in, last-out (LIFO) or first-in, first-out (FIFO).
  • If you are not on a hosted solution provider, you may have problems accessing your data remotely.
  • You have to keep upgrading and installing updates.
If more than one person needs to access the file and not everyone is in the same location, it is easier and cheaper to use the online version, as compared to a hosted solution provider. However, it is faster and cheaper than the online version if everyone is working in the same location and you don't have more than about five users.
Read Silvia Evans's full review
John Ferrari profile photo
March 16, 2016

QuickBooks Premier Review: "Good value for the money. You get what you pay for !"

We use QuickBooks as a writeup software for our business tax practice as well as for our business management practice.
  • Ability to Import Bank and Vendor Information
  • Run Payroll Easily
  • Speed of software opening
  • Pricing Structure/Discounts for accountants should be increased as we refer clients
QuickBooks is pretty well suited for most business, if you add the modules like construction it is very adaptable.
Read John Ferrari's full review
Andrew Newman CPA profile photo
February 03, 2016

QuickBooks Premier Review: "Given the alternatives, Ill stick with Quickbooks."

We use it throughout the organization for time keeping billing and invoicing. We sync it with payroll (QuickBooks Mananged Payroll) and with Bill. com which is our portal for payment and client receipts and invoicing. All employees have different levels of access and keep track of their time in the program. We use the program in a shared file server environment.
  • Integrates well with the other software I use
  • Easy to navigate
  • Easy to set up
  • Good support network
  • Reporting is old and inflexible
  • Levels of security are not very flexible
  • Multiuser is cumbersome
What are your needs? How will you be using the program? What is you business? What will your goal be for an accounting software? What kind of computer equipment and network do you have?
Read Andrew Newman CPA's full review
Kimberly Galland profile photo
August 19, 2015

QuickBooks Premier Review: "Accountants Choice for Small-Medium Businesses"

QuickBooks Premier is used to manage accounting for multiple companies; provide invoicing, prepare financials and annual accounting for tax returns. All business clients are using QuickBooks Pro or Premier. 10% use QuickBooks Online. It tracks income and expenses and allows clients to process payroll checks and returns. It is user friendly, offers easy file transfer, and many helpful adjustment features for accountants to use for review.
  • Allows accountant's copy or portable file transfer so the accountant can work in the file while the client continues to use it. Files can easily be shared through secure Intuit server, email, or secure file transfer such as Dropbox.
  • Offers relatively easy payroll calculations within the software that clients can manage on their own.
  • Using bank feeds and downloads speeds up the monthly accounting process or entering large amounts of data at once.
  • Inventory feature is very poor and not designed for novice users.
  • Accountants' have the ability to correct multiple transactions relatively easily but regular users do not.
  • It allows inexperienced users to make adjustments or post to accounts that are in error. The accountant must spend time correcting the mistakes at the client's expense.

Do you need the ability to invoice clients or track billable charges? You can easily create invoices and email or allow online payments.

Do you need to track inventory? There are other software that may track detail inventory better.

Do you need to process payroll for employees? Offers cost effective and user friendly options

How many users need accesss to the software?

Read Kimberly Galland's full review
Andrea Campbell, CPA,CITP profile photo
May 05, 2015

QuickBooks Premier Review: "President"

I use QuickBooks to run most aspects of my business, billing, payroll, general ledger. It lets me run my business quickly and efficiently from one platform. As a sole practitioner, I don't have a lot of time to waste on the back office. I appreciate the efficiency I get from QuickBooks.
  • Invoicing. Items can be pre-loaded with text to make creating an invoice fast and efficient.
  • Memorized Transactions. All types of transactions can be recorded repeatedly by QuickBooks with little effort on my part. This also lets me avoid missing monthly bills or retainer invoices.
  • Writing checks is one of the best tasks. If you can write a physical check, you can write a check in QuickBooks. The auto fill and auto recall make this task exceptionally easy and fast.
  • Payroll needs to be streamlined. There are about 5 steps to creating a payroll check, 2 (the confirmations to create and print the checks) are redundant.
  • Payroll tax payment corrections are too complicated. Adjusting the balances for discounts, etc. are cumbersome.
  • Using the find for an amount could be better. There is no default, you have to choose less than, greater than or equal. The default should be equal. The others should be an option.
If the business will have inventory or costing, I usually use caution in recommending QuickBooks. While it will perform the tasks for inventory and costing, the setup is critical to getting the information you need correctly. Once started, it is difficult to make corrections since changes are applied retroactively to all transactions.
Read Andrea Campbell, CPA,CITP's full review
Mary Miller profile photo
April 30, 2015

Review: "QuickBooks Premier - A great option for the bookkeeper with no formal training."

QuickBooks Premier is used by our accounting firm for internal accounting, budgeting and time tracking/billing. We also recommend, install and train clients to use QuickBooks Premier as well. The product is easy to learn and therefore easy to teach. It is flexible and versatile enough to serve the needs of over 90% of our clients. The price for the software, install and training is well within most company budgets.
  • The QuickBooks Premier product is easy to learn and easy to use. We always say to clients that "there isn't anything you can do in the software we can't fix". We can train the owner's wife who has no accounting background how to use the software effectively with just creating simple input steps.
  • The Graphic Interface is extremely user friendly. The option of pictures, menus and drop downs makes it easy for our clients to do their work. There are many roads leading to the same transactions. This makes the software usable for a variety of different clients.
  • The reporting features are robust enough that most clients don't need anything else. But if they do the interface with Excel makes it very easy to download and manipulate data by a more advanced user. Also the third party providers offer a host of applications which can be utilized to expand QB Premier capabilities in the reporting area.
  • The lack of controls for changing certain transactions is a problem. A check that has been printed, a paycheck that has been created, a reconciled banking transaction should NEVER be able to be changed after the fact, for any reason.
  • Downloads of data from banks and POS systems is very problematic. Almost always we disconnect the downloads and have the client manually enter activity.
The decision to use QuickBooks Premier is based on the answers to two questions:
1. Who will be using the software?
2. What are the functions the client needs?

A very sophisticated full charge bookkeeper with extensive reporting needs would not be a good fit for this software. An owner or other family member who just needs to keep a set of books for tax purposes is a great fit for this software.
Read Mary Miller's full review
John Coleman profile photo
April 29, 2015

Review: "Quickbooks Premier. The good, the bad and ugly."

We use the program internally for our financial accounting and we use it for some of our clients to prepare their financials. Other clients also use it and we review their work. Virtually everyone here except our receptionist uses the program. We keep our internal books very up to date so it helps us compare our current and prior year results in real time.
  • I really like the Portable Accountant file. Many of our clients who use this program internally like us to review their work but they can't shut down their financial operations while we are working on the file. The split that the accountant copy generates allows us to work on the historical data while the client can continue with current and future transactions.
  • I like the import feature. We do our payroll through ADP and can export a file from there and import it into QuickBooks. Doing the financials for our internal payroll takes about a minute.
  • The ability to add additional accounts or subaccounts is also a very nice feature for us internally as well as our clients.
  • The program takes a very long time to load. It'd be nice to be able to open it quicker as myself and my staff are somewhat inefficient while waiting for the program to load. Probably one of the longest hold times we have for any software.
  • Our clients are constantly receiving payments when an invoice has not been generated. This results in a negative A/R. QuickBooks needs to alert the user to this so this can be avoided.
  • When a group of checks is deposited and one bounces, you have to undeposit the entire lot and redeposit those that did go through. Should be a way for you to go in and just select the one that did not credit.

Some of our clients who are small don't use an accounting software because they can reconcile everything on Excel. They also don't have any employees so that QuickBooks is probably not needed for them. The rest of our clients, we recommend QuickBooks. However, some do not use it because they have an industry specific program which has some financial functions. What we've found is that these financial functions, whether it be general ledger capabilities or even payroll; are fairly subpar. So, we recommend that they use this industry specific program for inventory, revenues, etc...and then do the whole financial statement and accounting function in QuickBooks.

So, the questions I ask are:

1) What's your company size and how comfortable are you with excel reconciliations?
2) Do you run payroll?
3) Do you have an industry specific program?

Read John Coleman's full review
Cristine Delos Santos profile photo
May 08, 2015

QuickBooks Premier Review: "If you want the best for your BPO business, you need QuickBooks!"

This software is used by the entire organization and it helps us a lot in the overall bookkeeping process for our clients. It makes financial generation easy and quick which make work more efficient.
  • Remote Access Capability- This feature of QB is essential for us since we target the markets of Hawaii and Australia and our Operations Team is in the Philippines.
  • Easier reconciliation of bank type accounts - The interface provides us, bookkeepers, with a list of transactions which we can modify (if recorded wrong) on the spot. It also makes it easier to track unrecorded bank transactions for the given period.
  • Import of IIF and Excel files - It makes recording numerous transactions faster and more accurate than recording each entry one at a time. It improves our effectiveness and efficiency as bookkeepers.
  • Recognition of duplicate vendor and customer name.
Quickbooks is well suited for small business owners like our clients from Hawaii. The balance sheet, profit & loss and other reports we submit are more understandable and preferred by end-users. I guess Quickbooks is less appropriate for large businesses with highly complex accounting procedures because this requires a more sophisticated accounting system to achieve desired results.
Read Cristine Delos Santos's full review
Tony May profile photo
April 30, 2015

QuickBooks Premier Review: "Owner"

I use the software for the business and also host several clients using Cloud9. It addresses the client's need for an easy solution to manage the books and records and it allows us to assist the client with various issues. It creates a solution that allows us to provide additional services, such as payroll, bill pay or complete back office functions. Having complete access to the client's books and records facilitates the tax preparation and tax planning processes.
  • QuickBooks Premier is the preferred accounting solution to the majority of small businesses. Most small businesses are familiar with the product and the software is relatively simple to use.
  • The cost of QuickBooks is very attractive to the clients, as well as the various levels of software that the client can choose from. The software also offers programs that are able to handle increased and more complex transactions.
  • There are many "bolt on" products that increase the functionality of the software.
  • They need better methods of locking down the data. The ease of use creates many areas that the data can be compromised.
Generally, QuickBooks has a solution that suits most small business clients coupled with the use of "bolt on" programs. There may be industry specific programs that clients prefer.
Read Tony May's full review
BYRON RAMBO profile photo
April 29, 2015

QuickBooks Premier Review: "Quick Books Today, in My Opinion"

We are a public accounting firm and QB's online or desktop is used by almost all of our clients plus we use it internally. It is a very easy to use product but some of the features could be better located for ease of use, such as the functions hidden in the "+" sign at the top. The accountant's version to access client data remotely is difficult to use in some ways and a bit burdensome for me. Internally we use the online version and have no issues, in fact, we are at this time looking to integrate it with or MS Dynamics CRM program rather than have to drop $15,000 just to install MS GP (Great Plains for those of us who remember it).

Overall, QB's has improved a lot over the years, and I do really like the reports. I do need to see if I can prepare reports that compare year-to-year and month-to-month, but that's my own issue of taking the time to work on it.

I do recommend it to clients for its ease of use (if only they would actually use it!...the quest of accountants everywhere!).

• Ease of set-up but get help from an accountant
  • Ease of use
  • Very good reports
  • get rid of the "+" sign and just put a menu
  • default all accounting to cash accounting, it is easier for clients to use and understand
  • A snapshot: cash in bank, cask by G/L. A/P in one week and A/R in one week; that's what a business should know every morning

what kind of company, what kind of needs; work-in-process, perpetual or other inventory, knowledge of primary user

Read BYRON RAMBO's full review
Michael Klein, CPA, CMA, EA, CGMA profile photo
April 30, 2015

QuickBooks Premier Review: "QuickBooks Rundown"

QuickBooks is used by our organization to account for all general and program activities.
  • User friendly
  • Easy-to-understand reporting
  • Simple to use
  • Easy to train
  • Audit trail
  • Budget management reports
  • Greater security on entries
  • More advanced reporting including rolling forecasts
Ask about:

• Complexity of organization
  • Volume of transactions
  • Reporting needs
Read Michael Klein, CPA, CMA, EA, CGMA's full review
Nick Mousa, CPA profile photo
April 29, 2015

QuickBooks Premier Review: "QuickBooks"

We use QuickBooks as our primary tool for accounting in our CPA Firm.
  • Ease of use
  • Cost friendly
  • Strong Support Staff
  • I feel the importing of bank data has become more difficult in the new editions. I find myself calling the support team to troubleshoot this issue
QuickBooks is generally well suited for any small to midsize business. The more complex the business becomes (fixed assets, inventory tracking etc) the less user friendly QuickBooks becomes.

It may be helpful to offer free classes on tricks of QuickBooks as well as lessons on how to use the functions of QuickBooks correctly.
Read Nick Mousa, CPA's full review
Carl Wade profile photo
August 04, 2014

QuickBooks Premier Review: "Quickbooks, easy for small business to use.."

We used QuickBooks to create invoices and to track sales for our small business. Since we were a smal business we didn't have a lot of money to spend on hiring accountants and it was important to keep track of everything.
  • Easy to learn
  • Creates professional looking invoices
  • Would like to see easier functionality for invoice templates.
I see this product being used by people who are involved in accounting sectors.
Read Carl Wade's full review
June 08, 2016

QuickBooks Premier Review: "QB for Leading Edge Firms"

I use it to maintain my set of books for my company. I use it for billing and collections from all my clients. I also use it for budgeting and financial reporting for my company.
  • Integrated credit card processing - posts automatically to customer accounts, allows online payment. It uses the most current technology.
  • It maintains a good strong history of billing and collections and provides collection letters and assistance when you have past due amounts to collect.
  • It allows you to download credit card transactions and post into the software automatically. It is easy to track spending details with this process.
  • I would like to be able to choose how i want to view accounts receivable aging. I would like some flexibility to sort and choose how to present the data.
  • For a seasoned accountant, I would like to see some of the restrictive controls that are in place for novices to be able to be relaxed so that I can easily make some entries and adjust some balances that ordinarily a regular user would not be able to do.
  • I would like to see an easy way to clear old outstanding checks that need to be reversed without affecting prior balances/history.
Job costing and more advanced accounting requirements are typically not well-suited to QB applications. Sometimes they can be handled with third-party add-ons but it just depends.
April 27, 2016

QuickBooks Premier Review: "Great solution for Payroll"

We are only using QuickBooks Premier for the payroll module. I use Blackbaud Financial Edge for all other accounting tasks.
  • Tracking employees
  • Tracking payroll items
  • Tracking associated payroll taxes
  • Printing W-2's
  • Interface with Georgia Department of Revenue for payroll forms is not the best it could be. There are some forms that just don't interface well.
  • I have had issues sending the required year end payroll forms to Georgia in the past but it was better this year.
I think for small businesses it probably does a pretty good job.
March 16, 2016

QuickBooks Premier Review: "Non-profits will benefit, subject to a few workarounds"

I use this product to do the accounting for five different non-profit entities and one for profit entity.
  • Intuitive interface.
  • The many add-on products available (from Intuit and third parties) allows for customization and flexibility.
  • Price provides functionality at a good value.
  • I would like to see the ability to record more than one account receivable account and/or account payable account in the same transaction.
  • I would like to see more non-profit specific functionality, such as the ability to account for housing allowances within payroll.
  • Another piece of non-profit functionality I would like to see would be the ability to create and e-mail donor statements with my organization's comments and the necessary IRS disclosures.
Let me speak to non-profit users. I would ask what level workarounds could you live with in the following areas: annual donor statements, housing allowance pay, quid pro quo donations, non-cash donations and donated services. Another area to consider is the need to file share with your clients. I have not looked at QuickBooks Online in quite a while, but my recollection is that the non-profit functionality was even less robust in that platform.

Pay calculation (37)
Benefit plan administration (19)
Direct deposit files (29)
9.4
Salary revision and increment management (25)
Reimbursement management (23)
API for custom integration (13)
Plug-ins (18)
Single sign-on capability (37)
Role-based user permissions (35)
Dashboards (37)
Cash management (45)
Bank reconciliation (47)
Expense management (45)
Time tracking (24)
Fixed asset management (32)
Multi-currency support (17)
Multi-division support (29)
Regulations compliance (15)
4.0
Electronic tax filing (22)
Self-service portal (13)
Global Financial Support (2)
5.0
Primary and Secondary Ledgers (3)
Intercompany Accounting (5)
Localizations (1)
Journals and Reconciliations (8)
Enterprise Accounting (3)
Configurable Accounting (4)
Centralized Rules Framework (2)
6.5
Pricing (25)
9.5
Order entry (25)
9.5
Credit card processing (24)
Cost of goods sold (28)
Order Orchestration (1)
End-to-end order visibility (2)
10.0
Branded client dashboards (10)
Client data roll-up capabilities (11)
5.0
Client data consolidation for benchmarking (9)
Configurable alerts (17)
Billing bypass (13)
5.0
Client template cloning (20)
Single sign-on (24)
Configurable client onboarding questions (9)
5.0
Cross-client workflow management (9)
Industry-specific versioning (25)
Legacy system data migration (14)

About QuickBooks Premier