Redgate SQL Compare Reviews

September 11, 2020
Used for code and database object DDL comparison to identify changes.
  • Compare DDL in multiple databases or with objects in source code repository
  • SQL code comparison in stored procs, views, indexes, triggers or just sql files
  • Pick objects to deploy changes from one server to another
  • It would be good to have an option to ignore differences changes in comments or blank lines or tabs
Very well suited for comparing DDL changes between objects on two separate databases. It does not work to compare objects with different names.
I have not used customer support for SQL Compare, but did use it for Redgate source control. The service could be better.
August 27, 2020
Kevin R. Zakoski | TrustRadius Reviewer

SQL Compare is being used by multiple departments across the organization. My area, Database Service, uses SQL Compare regularly when we're pulled in to look at performance issues. Since we have several thousand databases with many clients and a custom deployment process that doesn't necessarily deploy all objects exactly the same, we utilize SQL Compare as one of our main tools to look for differences between databases to gather an initial assessment of the database to determine if we may be missing an object, permission or any other database component.

On the application development side, they will use SQL Compare to assist with developing and generating SQL scripts for deployments.

• Ease of use, doesn't require a lot knowledge or experience to use the tool.
  • UI is easy to navigate with several options filter content and results are grouped by content which makes comparing differences easy to find. Differences are also color coded and highlighted in code windows so you can pinpoint issues quickly.
  • Ability to pick and choose which items you want to sync at a push of a button directly to the database or generate the necessary code snippet needed to deploy to multiple databases using a deployment process.
  • Would like more filter options, like just looking for index differences between databases and tables and not seeing all the other differences that may exist in other components like triggers, extended properties, etc.
  • A 'Golden Copy', I compare multiple databases that are similar but not exactly the same but you're only can compare 2 databases at a time. I'd like to have the ability to save components from multiple sources to make a golden copy but also have the option to compare the 3 the same time.

We use SQL Compare to troubleshoot performance problems quite a bit since our data model is more like a template and not everything is 100% in sync and customization occurs between different client databases. We continually get pulled into performance issues and the developers will say Client A is performing different than Client B, why? Using SQL Compare, we usually find that one client was tuned and had indexes altered or added that weren't deployed to all clients or other objects weren't deployed correctly during the release.

On the other hand, since our data model practices allow client databases to drift I tried to create a new golden image by trying to compare multiple databases based on the same data model and found it to be a very difficult process to complete using SQL Compare. SQL Compare gave me too much information and doesn't allow enough filtering to eliminate a lot of the noise.

I haven't had a need to submit a support case for SQL Compare, but I've dealt with Redgate support for other products and issues and the response was quick and accurate.
Read Kevin R. Zakoski's full review
November 01, 2019
Richard Davies | TrustRadius Reviewer
My small web development team uses Redgate SQL Compare to help us manage our SQL databases across different environments (development, QA, and production, etc.). It eliminates the tedious and manual task of comparing database schemas and synchronizing them and their data across these different environments.
  • Simple and easy comparison of database schemas and data. Differences can be copied or synced from one database to another with a click of a button.
  • You can save "projects" so that you can easily rerun a previous comparison whenever you need to.
  • It has a very simple, easy to learn interface. I've never needed to read any documentation or watch any tutorials in order to figure out how to do something.
  • I honestly can't think of anything I don't like or anything I would change.
If you maintain different copies of the same database (whether on the same server or on different servers) this is a must have tool. For example, in web development, it's common to have a development database, a testing/QA database, and a production database. This tool makes it easy to compare those different databases for any differences and synchronize changes and data between them. Now, when you deploy a new set of features to production, you can use this to deploy any accompanying database changes. However, if your application includes code that manages the database (for example, a new module or feature might include code to apply related database schema changes when it's installed), then this tool might not be necessary.
I don't remember if I've ever needed to use their support.
Read Richard Davies's full review
February 07, 2020
  • Redgate SQL Compare is used in multiple departments within our organization. My company hadn't used Redgate products previously to my hiring, but it is spreading out through the company.
  • One of the challenges working with data, especially in different environments, is finding differences/changes that have occurred in the data. Redgate SQL Compare makes this very easy to accomplish, highlighting the differences and even giving you the option to update the data on one of the systems.
  • Data comparison
  • Data update
  • Speed of execution. It can be slow to run, especially on large datasets.
Full disclosure, I'm a huge fan of Redgate and their SQL products and have been for years. Redgate SQL Compare is well suited anytime you have sets of data you want to compare or update. If you have large tables that you're trying to compare, however, it may take a very long time to compare. It also can take a little time to figure out the user interface — both in setting up the comparison and analyzing the results.
They have a great community website where you can search for answers but are also very responsive when it comes to direct support.
June 29, 2019
SQL compare is used in the department mainly during releases and the occasional issue finding (differences between live and dev environments).
Years before we did use a source control solution, but that caused more problems than it solved, so I use this software to deploy DB changes from our dev to live platforms. It's more manual, but it gives me the opportunity to review the differences, and from time to time question the choices of the changes!
  • It allows you to set up projects for repetitive comparisions.
  • It organises object differences very well, with filters and searches available on top.
  • Redgate displays the differences between objects very clearly at script level.
  • It's created deployment scripts that you can either run yourself, or complete using the application.
  • So far so good. I have to be honest, it's not a complicated application, and so far hasn't caused me any issues or to question the choices of the developers!
Redgate is just a massive timesaving tool for releasing changes from our dev to live platforms. Being able to choose all the objects that need scripting out to alter, create, and drop statements with the click of a few buttons, taking into consideration all the dependencies, is brilliant. Coupled with that, the ability to review the differences along the way for last-minute issue spotting is hugely helpful.
January 21, 2019
Aaron Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Redgate's SQL Compare to create our upgrade scripts for our application upgrades and deployments. We honestly couldn't do our upgrades without it! We make changes constantly to our database schema for our applications and managing those changes can be a hassle, let alone keeping track of what we need to put in the upgrade or new deployment scripts. Redgate's tools make this painless and worry free! Just check in your database changes into SQL and SQL Compare does the rest!
  • Extremely fast!
  • Compares from source control, not just physical databases. No need to keep copies of databases of varying versions laying around.
  • Command line tools integrate easily into automated build processes.
  • Even has plugins for products like Octopus Deploy!
  • Not the best at initial setups. Sometimes there are error messages that have no bearing on what the problem really is.
  • Documentation sometimes can be lacking, but their support team will make up for that.
If you have to keep track of database changes that then need to be sent out to production databases, this is the tool for you! Never again will you need to write complicated scripts and try to catch all the changes that were made in the database between versions. It will even handle data if you need it to!
Read Aaron Smith's full review
February 02, 2018
Luca Campanelli | TrustRadius Reviewer
For my experience, SQL Compare is a DBA's "must have" software. Thanks to SQL Compare you can quickly and easily compare different databases in different environments. Personally, I use it above all to make comparisons between development or testing environments with for example production environments.
  • Comparison speed
  • Immediacy in the highlighting of differences
  • Some features or default preferences are not activated and are a bit hidden between the Options flags
  • License fee slightly high
  • If you upgrade the SQL server, you need to upgrade the version of SQL
I use the software routinely, day after day, and I've been using it for 7 years, so I can 100% recommend this software because it never gave me a problem, it's always fast and responsive and it's simple. The classic case where a software in its simplicity does exactly what it should in the best way. The best use case is the comparison of environments before or after deployments.
Read Luca Campanelli's full review
April 03, 2017
Rob Cowart | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use RedGate SQL Compare within my department. In database development, it's an awesome tool to keep database structures and code in sync, especially with there are many hands working on a database. It helps in determining the REAL scope of structure and code migrations. I use it to both generate deployment scripts for later use and documentation and also to effect some migrations immediately. It depends on if I am trying to sync multiple dev dbs or a dev to qc db or from a dev/qc db to a prod db. It is very thorough in its comparisIt's. Its not unusual that I have a few of those "oh I forgot about that change" moments when running it. It saves me lots of time and frustration in performing db change migrations right the first time. I don't ever want to be without it!!
  • Deep, thorough SQL Server db comparisons in places you might not think to look.
  • Gives me flexibility on how I want to save or execute the SQL Compare results.
  • Remembers settings between uses that speed me in using it.
  • Has a clear and effective interface.
  • Pricing.... I wish there was an inexpensive developer version I could buy for myself.
  • Portability.... I would like to use it from a flash drive so I can use it where ever I am asked to work.
  • Unbundled.... This may be available already but I dont' recall I can buy it cheaply as a stand-alone product. Its only part of the bundle - cost effectively.
  • SQL Compare is great for all database development environments, especially in "wild west," fast paced environments.
  • Great for SCRUM and Agile.
Read Rob Cowart's full review

Version control tools (3)
10.0
Performance optimization tools (2)
Schema maintenance (6)
9.2
Database change management (8)
9.2
User management (3)
Database security (4)
Change management (6)

What is Redgate SQL Compare?