https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/ZH/3s/4V39QZOWUQFE.JPEGGreat Product with a Great Price TagOur school/district uses Accelerated Reader. Generally, it is used by Language Arts teachers, but it does help track reading and reading comprehension. Students are given goals to strive for each grading period and strive to reach that goal. There are many pros and cons for using Accelerated Reader but our students have used it for years and I don't see it going away any time soon.,If used correctly, Accelerated Reader helps students grow with their reading comprehension and vocabulary skills. I advise teachers to have one on one conversations with students when setting goals (allow students to have input) so that the students are given more responsibility to achieve their own goals. Renaissance's online chat/customer service is outstanding. They can usually answer my questions and do so in an understandable manner. They seem to be willing to help and will follow through if necessary. There are many reports that Accelerated Reader administrators can use to help decipher the data created from their students taking Accelerated Reader quizzes.,Lately, Accelerated Reader has been adding "New Reports" which would help single class users such as a teacher with one class. But for a person with administrative rights, it creates a bit of a hassle to get the information needed at times. Cost - Accelerated Reader is expensive. For the price paid, I feel Renaissance should include some features instead of having additional fees paid.,8,Our students are used to reading with Accelerated Reader. We generally have 95% of our student body quiz with Accelerated Reader and our scores are some of the better ones in the district. It is certainly not based solely on Accelerated Reader, but greater reading comprehension skills will aid in improving various assessments the students will complete. The school library has seen a greater number of books circulated using Accelerated Reader but a drawback is that students are apprehensive to read books for pleasure without a quiz when they can choose another title that contains an Accelerated Reader quiz.,,Renaissance myON® Reader,10,No,Numerous times I know there should be a report that can be run to get the results I want and I contact the online chat to get answers. Renaissance usually walks me through the process and allowing me to get the results I want. They always my questions with professionalism and courtesy.Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 ReviewI am using Renaissance Accelerated Reader in my first and second grade classroom. AR 360 is also being used by all other classrooms--4K-5th grade--in our building. Renaissance Accelerated Reader keeps my students motivated and eager to read and improve their reading skills and strategies. Renaissance AR is the perfect fit when using the Reading Workshop Daily 5 model. Children in my classroom begin every day with reading to themselves, taking comprehension and vocabulary quizzes, and working toward their goal. I have found my students take ownership of their reading and learning and have become much more independent. They challenge themselves and each other to continually grow and improve.,Renaissance Accelerated Reader has great customer service support. They are clear, concise, and respond quickly. Their live chat support service is great. Renaissance Accelerated Reader is constantly adding new quizzes to their data base. They keep current with the most popular books that children currently read. They also have quizzes for the timeless classics. Renaissance Accelerated Reader has reports that provide data ranging from the number of words students have read to a students growth trajectory. This is helpful when planning lessons to work with children in small groups or independently. Renaissance allows me the capability to see real time quizzing data. This allows for me to monitor students' progress while also working with other children. I am able to my time efficiently and effectively.,It was helpful--and quicker--when my students were able to log in to Accelerated Reader through the iPad app. Unfortunately, the app is not going to be supported. My students will still be able to use the iPad for quizzing and STAR assessments. It is just a couple of extra steps.,10,The goal of AR is for kids to enjoy books, spread their wings, and experience a variety of literature & genres. Children need copious amounts of reading to become good readers. Incorporating Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 into our day sets a purpose for reading and holds children accountable. Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 is research based. The single biggest predictor of academic success is time spent reading. This program allows for that. Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 allows for scaffolding of reading material to get the kids into more challenging material. This program allows children to be successful and build on their strengths. Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 empowers students to take ownership in the learning process. It gives them a voice. Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 is a program that lets students practice and apply skills and strategies learned during mini lessons and strategy-group instruction.,,Renaissance Accelerated Math, Renaissance Star 360,100,5,Reading Quizzing Feedback,Build vocabulary Individualize learning Differentiate Accountability,n/a,10,Not Sure,Product Features Product Usability Prior Experience with the Product Existing Relationship with the Vendor,The administration makes these decisions.,Implemented in-house,Learning by doing,10,10,Yes,Initially, when AR was first implemented, I had a difficult time locating specific reports. The chat feature was a life saver. The best customer service ever!,Logging in Locating material,Haven’t found it to be cumbersome.,10Renaissance Accelerated Reader ReviewWe use Renaissance Accelerated Reader in our classrooms to allow students to be able to get extra practice in areas of weakness as well as allow students who are in need of a challenge to work ahead. Students enjoy the challenge and they do well with the curriculum. Students are able to challenge themselves as well as track their accomplishments through AR.,Tracks student progress. Allows students to test their comprehension. Allows teachers to track student progress.,No suggestions.,10,Students challenge themselves to do better and are self-motivated. Teachers and parents can easily track progress.,,Renaissance Accelerated MathRenaissance Accelerated Reader ReviewAR is being used school-wide, however, multiple teachers do not use it. This is because there was not training on it, therefore teachers are a little cloudy on how to set it up along with how to set goals for their students. The problems AR addresses is the lack of reading on our campus,It gives different level DOK questions to the students AR allows students to track their points to their goal and students can see a percentage of what they have not completed. There is a wide range of books on AR.,Makes it easier for teachers to reset the quizzes. It was a mission to find it, and then I had to email the help desk. Our wifi is not very strong so it will freeze the computers sometimes, and that ends the quiz. It should be easier to set goals for the students all at once.,7,Positive overall.,Renaissance Accelerated Reader is amazing!Our entire school uses Accelerated Reader. It helps us track our student's progress and understanding of the materials they are reading. It also helps us with a system of rating them to be able to reward them for all their hard work. It encourages our students to read more which broadens their knowledge base.,It gives you student's averages of the books they have read. It sets personalized goals for the students. It groups the students into point clubs to show their progress. It gives you an estimated time the students have been engaged in reading during the school day.,I would like to see the program reward students for their hard work.,10,The students get very competitive with their reading points clubs which has helped improve my classes reading overall.,Renaissance myON® Reader
Renaissance Accelerated Reader

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Reviews

Renaissance Accelerated Reader
Filter 21 vetted Renaissance Accelerated Reader reviews and ratings

Jason Eifling profile photo
February 19, 2019

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review: "Great Product with a Great Price Tag"

• If used correctly, Accelerated Reader helps students grow with their reading comprehension and vocabulary skills. I advise teachers to have one on one conversations with students when setting goals (allow students to have input) so that the students are given more responsibility to achieve their own goals.
  • Renaissance's online chat/customer service is outstanding. They can usually answer my questions and do so in an understandable manner. They seem to be willing to help and will follow through if necessary.
  • There are many reports that Accelerated Reader administrators can use to help decipher the data created from their students taking Accelerated Reader quizzes.
  • Lately, Accelerated Reader has been adding "New Reports" which would help single class users such as a teacher with one class. But for a person with administrative rights, it creates a bit of a hassle to get the information needed at times.
  • Cost - Accelerated Reader is expensive. For the price paid, I feel Renaissance should include some features instead of having additional fees paid.
Accelerated Reader is what it is. It has been around for years and pretty much has a lock on this type of service. With that being said, Renaissance still makes improvements and works with the customer to make things better. If people use the product the way it is intended, results can be great. Yes, there is a danger that a product like this hurts the love of reading by "forcing" kids to read. *There are articles written about the positives and negatives of AR elsewhere if you look* But Accelerated Reader gathers plenty of data that can be used by educators to help their classrooms if they choose to use the product as intended.
Read Jason Eifling's full review
Jody Steinhaus profile photo
February 04, 2019

"Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 Review"

• Renaissance Accelerated Reader has great customer service support. They are clear, concise, and respond quickly. Their live chat support service is great.
  • Renaissance Accelerated Reader is constantly adding new quizzes to their data base. They keep current with the most popular books that children currently read. They also have quizzes for the timeless classics.
  • Renaissance Accelerated Reader has reports that provide data ranging from the number of words students have read to a students growth trajectory. This is helpful when planning lessons to work with children in small groups or independently.
  • Renaissance allows me the capability to see real time quizzing data. This allows for me to monitor students' progress while also working with other children. I am able to my time efficiently and effectively.
  • It was helpful--and quicker--when my students were able to log in to Accelerated Reader through the iPad app. Unfortunately, the app is not going to be supported. My students will still be able to use the iPad for quizzing and STAR assessments. It is just a couple of extra steps.
Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 is easy to use. It helps build comprehension and expand vocabulary for my students. I love it for the accountability for the read-to-self rotation.
Read Jody Steinhaus's full review
Shonda Hill profile photo
February 21, 2019

"Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review"

• Tracks student progress.
  • Allows students to test their comprehension.
  • Allows teachers to track student progress.
  • No suggestions.
My students always excel in AR. They challenge themselves and they work hard to raise their book levels. I have seen many students enter my class with a below average reading level and leave with a well above average reading level.
Read Shonda Hill's full review
JESSICA MARTINDALE profile photo
February 21, 2019

"Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review"

• It gives different level DOK questions to the students
  • AR allows students to track their points to their goal and students can see a percentage of what they have not completed.
  • There is a wide range of books on AR.
  • Makes it easier for teachers to reset the quizzes. It was a mission to find it, and then I had to email the help desk. Our wifi is not very strong so it will freeze the computers sometimes, and that ends the quiz.
  • It should be easier to set goals for the students all at once.
If the school site is behind the teachers and is helping them through the beginning process, or if the admin request that English teachers use it, AR could be beneficial to students. However, it is not something that is strong on our campus.
Read JESSICA MARTINDALE's full review
Vanessa Brown profile photo
February 21, 2019

"Renaissance Accelerated Reader is amazing!"

• It gives you student's averages of the books they have read.
  • It sets personalized goals for the students.
  • It groups the students into point clubs to show their progress.
  • It gives you an estimated time the students have been engaged in reading during the school day.
  • I would like to see the program reward students for their hard work.
I think the A.R. program works wonderfully in elementary schools!
Read Vanessa Brown's full review
Alisha Taylor profile photo
February 20, 2019

Renaissance Accelerated Reader: "I love Reniassance Accelerated Reader"

We currently use Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 in my school for the students to take tests about the books they are reading. It tests their comprehension of the stories that they are reading by asking questions about the stories. It is one of the best programs for schools to use to test students on their comprehension of the books they are reading along with making it a fun way to motivate them to get reading. I like all the different reports that can be created with the data collected from the tests that are taken by the students.
  • Tests comprehension
  • Sets points goals for the students
  • Fun way to see what books the students are reading
  • Gain reading experience.
  • More quizzes on books
  • Reports
  • Quiz glitches
It is well suited for my school because all of our students love to read and are always reading a book. So it is a great way to test and then reward their achievements.
Read Alisha Taylor's full review
Kelsie Haggard profile photo
February 20, 2019

Renaissance Accelerated Reader: "Accelerated Reader 360"

Our whole school, though small, uses Accelerated Reader 360. We love the program and being able to see how well our students are paying attention to the books and stories being read. It is also a user-friendly service that helps teachers and parents watch the progress of their child/student. Our students are on the program every day and it is very user-friendly for them as well.
  • It tests students knowledge of books and how close they paid attention to the story.
  • It provides good data for how well a student is growing in their reading abilities.
  • It gives a good level of reading for our students and allows teachers to see what grade level they are close to.
  • I also love the recommendations of other books students could or should read next.
  • The quizzes test more details from a story versus the comprehension of the story.
Accelerated Reader is great for students of all grade levels and good for schools of all sizes from our small school to a much larger school.
Read Kelsie Haggard's full review
Rita Platt profile photo
February 05, 2019

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review: "AR Works!"

My school uses Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 to help students learn to and love to read. It is perfect for providing a touch of accountability for students as they set and meet their own reading goals. The students love it and the teachers do as well. All in all, it is a perfect compliment to our independent reading program.
  • Assesses basic book comprehension.
  • Allows for quick data access.
  • Allows students to set goals.
  • None
I would recommend Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 for all elementary and middle schools.
Read Rita Platt's full review
Rory Morse, Ed.D. profile photo
December 11, 2018

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review: "Building-Wide AR"

We use AR for our school-wide reading and incentive program. Students set a goal to work toward and read/test throughout the school year. We hold quarterly assemblies by grade level to recognize the accomplishments of students and to further encourage others. Students enjoy seeing their success and encourage each other to do their best. I enjoy being a part of the success of students using AR!
  • Very helpful support staff.
  • Staff listens to user concerns and adjusts accordingly.
  • The program itself is very user-friendly
  • Students are always looking for books to be added for tests!
AR is well suited for building-wide use as a program to encourage reading and foster literacy success.
Read Rory Morse, Ed.D.'s full review
Alecia Walkuski profile photo
February 15, 2019

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review: "Variety of Reading Resources"

Our entire district uses Renaissance Accelerated Reader to provide reading support for secondary students. It provides lots of choice for students, lots of support for teachers, and lots of communication for parents. The various reports are helpful for teachers to identify areas of challenge for students and help those students become stronger readers.
  • A variety of reports can be generated.
  • Book choice for students.
  • Ease of use by teachers.
  • Parent access.
  • The reports are generated as PDFs and cannot be edited or sorted in different ways.
  • Time needs to be provided in school for guided reading support.
  • It is difficult to find engaging reading choices at more challenging reading levels.
Renaissance Accelerated Reader is a great product for schools. It provides students with a lot of choice in what they read and provides guided support for selecting books. It is helpful to pair this product with Renaissance STAR assessments too. It is ideal at the primary level. At the secondary level, it can be challenging to locate high-interest informational texts for students at the appropriate level.
Read Alecia Walkuski's full review
November 06, 2018

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review: "AR 360 is ready to rumble!"

We use AR to help our students track their reading growth and to set goals for themselves. This system allows us to conference with our students to discuss how they are doing with reading comprehension quizzes. We are able to discuss trouble spots and make a plan of action to help them be successful.
  • Set individualized goals for students
  • Track student progress over time
  • Integrated with STAR 360 assessments to help with placement
  • It could be a little easier to find certain reports if their names were more self explanatory.
  • On some screens, it can get confusing to move back and forth between the goals and quizzes screens.
  • It would be great to have a mechanism within Renaissance Place to alert admin to remove students from your classes when they move.
I have always had great success when using Accelerated Reader. My students love the goal setting and look forward to see how far they can go with their point goals. I have some students who are extremely motivated by this and work to see how far past their goal they can get. It is also great for my lower readers as it provides scaffolding and encouragement for them.
andrew taylor profile photo
February 01, 2018

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review: "AR in the classroom"

We are using Renaissance Accelerated Reader schoolwide at Harwood Elementary in Vernon, BC. We are a K-7 school of about 420 kids. Everyone from Grade 2-7 participates in Accelerated Reader and has individual goals set. Students are excited to see their success on AR tests. We give out prizes for kids making it to the next level in Accelerated Reader. Classes reward students for achieving goals each term.
Our staff, students and parents love Accelerated Reader and are improving their reading skills by practising reading more.
  • Students read at their ZPD so they are reading just right texts
  • Success is the best motivator and AR quizzes make students feel successful
  • Accelerated Reader makes monitoring student progress easy for the teacher by easy to use reports and diagnostic tools
  • Reports should show total points and books read over the years.
It is appropriate for low readers in low socio economic schools. I don't think it is inappropriate anywhere.
Read andrew taylor's full review
October 11, 2017

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review: "Renaissance"

We use STAR testing for math and reading in grades 5-8 and have found that it truly helps us identify those students that are struggling in those areas. This gives us the opportunity to focus some attention on those students and their weak areas before the STAAR test comes around for those kids, especially the 5th and 8th grades. Over the years, we have found that this program really helps us project who will be successful and those that need extra time and help before the state test rolls around.
  • Accurate correlation to state testing standards
  • Program is very user-friendly
  • Support staff is always available to answer questions
  • As an admin for our campus subscription, I would like to be able to see when and what adjustments teachers are making on student preferences.
  • I wish the lexile levels would reflect true lexiles from STAAR testing rather than reflect the ATOS.
It's a great tool for determining which students need intervention.
September 13, 2017

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review: "Drop Everything and Read"

We use Accelerated Reader school-wide to assess student comprehension and to motivate/cultivate life long learners. We can measure growth and/or regression in the area of reading comprehension when monitored regularly.
  • Accelerated Reader gives immediate feedback.
  • It provides clear and concise instructions.
  • Accelerated Reader provides data to assist with instructional planning.
  • I would like to see a feature that will notify the building admin that a child has reached their reading certification.
  • I would like a feature that would generate a half size sheet of paper to include a student's username and password as well as their ZPD.
  • I would like the rollover rights from year to year be given to the building admin versus the district admin.
Accelerated Reader is best suited for grades 2nd - 5th. They are more independent. As noted, Accelerated Reader is a guided program. However, most schedules don't permit the time to guide students in kindergarten and first grade.
Laura Quiroz profile photo
March 31, 2017

Renaissance Accelerated Reader: "From the bottom to the top with Accelerated Reader"

Renaissance Accelerated Reader is being implemented by our Pre - Kinder through fifth-grade teachers to monitor student reading progress. I oversee the teachers' implementation of the program for their students. All students are given a Star reading assessment to attain their zone of proximal development in order for students to select books that are within their reading level. Reading goals, daily time and points are calculated by the renaissance accelerated reader program based on the Star reading results. Teachers use the data to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of the student. Reports are run weekly to monitor student growth and progression. Teachers will use the diagnostic reports to check if students are meeting their accelerated reader goals before the end of a marking period. Accelerated reading helps increase student reading ability, vocabulary and comprehension in order to close the reading gap.
  • Accelerated Reader provides informational text passages that help prepare students for college.
  • The dashboard on Accelerated Reader is up to date with current information at glance that can be modified.
  • Students can monitor their own progress towards meeting Accelerated Reader goals.
  • Creating Spanish reports similar to the ones accessed in English.
  • Simplifying the way books students can find an AR quiz. It does not find books if students are missing a "question mark" or "exclamation mark".
  • Deleting a quiz when a student enters the wrong book title and begins a quiz. It has been difficult to remove a quiz and the quiz appears even after the monitor password has been entered.
Accelerated Reader has helped bridge the reading gap in our reluctant readers by providing goals that students work to attain each marking period. Frequent reading and quizzing have built stamina and comprehension in students that were below reading level. In the past four years, we have seen an increase in students' reading ability based on state test scores due to the consistent use of Accelerated Reader and its implementation for student success.
Read Laura Quiroz's full review
Renee Graham profile photo
May 08, 2017

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review: "Reading Magic"

It is used across the entire organization. It addresses the problem of reading practice with our students.
  • Provides data used to drive instruction
  • Allows students to choose books they are interested in
  • Shows students progress toward goals
  • Encourages students to grow
  • Teaches students what they are capable of
  • Increases reading stamina
  • Includes parents in praising students
  • Keeps parents informed
  • Provides teachers with small group instruction
  • It would be nice if students could stop Accelerated Reader tests without a teacher's password.
  • I'd like for students to know the percent of their goal reached, even after they reach 100%. For example, when they are at 125% of goal.
Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 is appropriate in any classroom, any grade level. It might be less appropriate in developmental classrooms.
Read Renee Graham's full review
May 01, 2017

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Review: "Success in Reading!"

I honestly do not know what my class would do without Accelerated Reader. It keeps them motivated to read. But you have to follow the guidelines to make them successful readers with the program. The 30 minute suggested engaged silent reading time is a must! I've had other teachers tell me that don't have that time. My response is , "You don't have time to read in reading class?" My class has achieved over 5,000 AR points with an 89% average so far this year! We have used this program for several years, and my class has been advanced each year on test scores. We have point parties and celebrations each nine weeks! Thanks again for creating such a wonderful program!
  • Points for each test taken
  • Motivation for reading
  • Teacher created tests
  • Create AR tests for the books from Reading A-Z!
I honestly don't know how any classroom thrives without this reading program.
May 01, 2017

Renaissance Accelerated Reader: "Love Accelerated Reader!"

I cannot remember a teaching day I didn't use Accelerated Reader (AR) over the last two decades of teaching so that probably makes me a pioneer of using the original programming! I feel AR has grown with my students and met their needs over the years. It is a great reading management and feedback system. I look forward to more upgrades and continued use in the future!
  • Students gain immediate feedback on how they understood the content of their book through the questions asked about their reading.
  • Students can monitor their own progress.
  • Teachers have ready and useful information on student reading, plus a detailed book list of books completed.
  • It would be useful if there were more options for a teacher to set up feedback for students. Like some preferences to point out to students their overall percent of questions answered correct for example.
  • I think there could be more options on the bookshelf for students, perhaps even a "gamification" option so teachers could set it that students get certain acheivements for reading a specific number of books and/or staying at a certain percentage correct or higher, etc.
  • I would like to see students be able to easily see their fiction vs. non-fiction reading progress, perhaps on their bookshelf.
I love using this tool for overall daily, weekly, and reporting period goals. I think it's great!

Course authoring (4)
Course catalog or library (8)
Player/Portal (8)
Learning content (10)
Mobile friendly (8)
Progress tracking & certifications (11)
Assignments (7)
Compliance management (4)
Learning administration (8)
Learning reporting & analytics (11)
Social learning (4)
5.9

About Renaissance Accelerated Reader

Renaissance Accelerated Reader® is designed to save educators time by empowering them with Learnalytics® to make differentiating independent and close reading practice effortless – all while maintaining the flexibility necessary to fit within existing classroom routines. Students are engaged in reading self-selected authentic books and articles.

Short comprehension quizzes and built-in close reading practice activities, combined with automatic and educator feedback, keep students accountable for their learning. Dashboards and reporting provide users with the insights necessary to identify quickly which students need more support, which skills each student is ready to learn, and which resources will cultivate proven growth.

According to the vendor, key benefits include:

• Students are nearly twice as likely to be college and career ready with they practice with Renaissance Accelerated Reader.
  • A strong research base of 178 scientific studies and review backs Renaissance Accelerated Reader, which ensures that you have scientifically sound practice and reliable data for instructional decisions.
  • The Council of Administrators of Special Education endorses Renaissance Accelerated Reader for improving outcomes for students with disabilities.