Renaissance Accelerated Reader Reviews

Beth Tijerina profile photo
Renaissance Accelerated Reader is used across our entire school district to monitor students' reading levels and comprehension through quizzing.
  • Allows us to monitor student comprehension through quiz averages.
  • Provides reading levels from testing instrument.
  • Provides student's with access to view their individual goals and progression towards the goals.
  • Setting the student's individual book level goals should be in order by last name since all reports are done in this format, but the book level setting is currently organized by first name and does not match any of the reports.
It helps teachers keep students on track to improving their reading abilities.
Read Beth Tijerina's full review
Leslie Knight profile photo
Renaissance Accelerated Reader is used at the elementary level in my district to help students gain comprehension skills and practice new vocabulary that is learned in the books that are read. The program is also used to track students' learning and growth for their reading level. We use that information to set levels for the different books that they are to read. You can compare the levels of growth over years as well.
  • Data tracking
  • Assessing reading levels
  • Assessing comprehension
  • Would like to see more rigorous questioning
It is an educational software.
Read Leslie Knight's full review
Keyanna Kimbrough profile photo
Renaissance Accelerated Reader is being used by every teacher in my school. It is being used to motivate and support student reading. We explain the data, the Lexile and the ZPD to parents and students. Knowing where they are and where they should be, motivates parents to encourage their child or children to read more on their level. Reading on their level improves their reading skills and increase their Lexile and ZPD. The students are motivated by teachers and parents.
  • Renaissance allows teachers to collaborate.
  • We can gain knowledge on how to implement different strategies.
  • Teachers learn what works for certain students and what doesn't.
  • In my opinion, one thing that needs improvement, is the rewards.
  • I can't do some challenges that are linked to social media. I am not a social media person.
  • More video!
I was trying to figure out how to motivate one of my students to read more. I logged on and went to one discussion that asked about motivating those students that were not motivated to read. I saw many other educators response and I was able to implement some of their ideas and find out what work for my students and what didn't.
Read Keyanna Kimbrough's full review
milecha young profile photo
September 27, 2019

Take a Look at Renaissance

Renaissance Accelerated Reader is what our entire organization uses. Students get a book then test it. They must have a 90% success rate when testing. Students are constantly wanting to make sure they hit their goals when reading. It is a good tool for teachers as well, to gauge where students are needing help. You can tell how many books they read, the level, the percentage of the engaged time, and the percentage of how many fiction versus non-fiction they have taken out.
  • Gives student engaged time.
  • Tell the book level average of the student.
  • Tells how many books the child has tested and if they tested successfully.
  • It is fine just the way it is.
Renaissance Reader is well suited in the classroom environment.
Read milecha young's full review
December 09, 2019

Pros and Cons

We use Accelerated Reader with our 2nd - 5th grade students. It is an optional program, which is supposed to encourage students to read more. We have offered quarterly stores where the students can spend points, as well as tiered rewards with a field trip as the grand prize.
  • Renaissance motivates kids by keeping track of the number of words they read in each book.
  • There are features we don't use, such as the dashboard. We have found that difficult to understand.
Renaissance is well suited for a school that has every teacher on board. The program is only encouraged in our school library, so I think some of the effect wears off quickly. I know that schools that have the principal and teachers fully involved see the biggest success
Every student in our district has an account, but implementation is spotty especially in the upper grades.
  • Allows teachers to monitor independent reading.
  • Gives students the ability to track their own reading.
  • Encourages kids to read.
  • Students should be able to see their reading goals and progress in numbers.
  • The record book should have the option of a graphical matrix with quicker access to student scores on individual scores.
  • The reports are too cumbersome. I shouldn't have to scroll through 500 kids' names to get the one I want.
It's one of the most useful tools a teacher can have. Parents and children can understand the system. The goal-setting feature helps students grow as readers.
November 07, 2019

Accelerated Reader Rocks!

We currently use Accelerated Reader school-wide. This helps us track student reading practice and guide us in recommending reading. Teachers submit weekly reports and at a point goal of 2.5 with an 85 average. These goals are aligned to district goals. This program ensures reading practice that we would otherwise not be able to track other than with a reading log.
  • Track student reading practice
  • Compare Book Level from STAR to actual book level from reading practice
  • Consolidated reports help to see STAR and AR levels
  • Ability to duplicate classes
  • Share AR classes with STAR so that that we don't have to make separate groups
  • Too many steps for Reports
Renaissance Accelerated Reader is well suited for all classes. English Language Arts classes should not be the only classes where students get reading practice. Reading is important across all content areas. It should not be used as punishment so that they enjoy reading. Renaissance Accelerated Reader is used to keep a record of student reading.
October 06, 2019

Drop Everything and Read

We use Accelerated Reader school-wide to assess student comprehension and to motivate/cultivate life long learners. We can measure growth and/or regression in the area of reading comprehension when monitored regularly.
  • Accelerated Reader gives immediate feedback.
  • It provides clear and concise instructions.
  • Accelerated Reader provides data to assist with instructional planning.
  • I would like to see a feature that will notify the building admin that a child has reached their reading certification.
  • I would like a feature that would generate a half size sheet of paper to include a student's username and password as well as their ZPD.
  • I would like the rollover rights from year to year be given to the building admin versus the district admin.
Accelerated Reader is best suited for grades 2nd - 5th. They are more independent. As noted, Accelerated Reader is a guided program. However, most schedules don't permit the time to guide students in kindergarten and first grade.
September 26, 2019

Accelerated Reader Review

I am a teacher at a K-6 school. All homeroom teachers use it with their students. We use it as a way to motivate and track readers. We also use the reports to show weaknesses and growth. Accelerated Reader is a great product to use in the classroom. It also helps us stay connected with parents.
  • The reports provided are helpful when tracking student growth.
  • AR helps motivate readers.
  • I would like to see some short answer questions accompany books.
  • Some features are difficult to find when setting goals.
  • I wish there was a way to track certificates printed.
AR is great when a school library has wonderful books to choose from. If a school library doesn't have a good selection, that makes AR more difficult. If schools have access to My ION that could alleviate the school library problem. The cost of the programs can also hurt schools that lack funding.
Renaissance Learning is widely used throughout the school system as a reliable indicator of reading comprehension through its STAR and AR tests. It has progressed thousands of readers to excellence and comprehension.
  • Real time progress monitoring of student reading comprehension.
  • Multiple reports detailing successes and areas of struggle.
  • Amazing customer service.
  • The price for schools to use AR and STAR, especially with budgets being cut, is very high.
AR is well suited in all educational environments. It can be used to improve the comprehension of the remedicat readers as well as continually push the high achievers.
Jennifer Taylor profile photo
Accelerated Reader is currently being used school-wide in our Elementary school. We are a rural K-8 school and use AR every day. I personally use AR in my 3-8 Reading classes. I also support 3 other teachers as they use AR in their own classrooms. My main goal in using AR is to motivate students to read independently for pleasure. AR is a tool that allows me to help students choose books that are within their ZPD and ensure they are comprehending what they have read. The data tracking in AR is invaluable. I can easily pinpoint problems for specific students and have a conversation with them about any issues that come up. AR also makes it very easy to include students in goal setting and discussions about their data. Either using a scaled score or ATOS level, students can easily understand what level their independent reading ability is at and then track that level as it grows throughout the school year. AR has become an invaluable resource for me in my classroom for both motivating and engaging students and for me personally to be able to use student data to help guide my students as they grow as readers.
  • Automatically calculating ZPD ranges. Student level ranges are automatically calculated within the system to ensure that students are correctly choosing the most appropriate books for them.
  • Easy goal setting. Whether you want to set a blanket goal based on 20 minutes per day of reading time for the class, or you want to individually set goals up to an hour a day, AR makes it very easy to manage and set goals for your entire classroom. Goals can be adjusted as needed easily as well.
  • Comprehension monitoring through testing. I can easily see which students are struggling on comprehension through AR book quizzes. From student scores, I can either motivate students who are rushing through books to slow down and take time to thoroughly read, or I can help students who are possibly struggling to read harder books with specific strategies that will benefit them the most. Without the testing feature of AR, I would have a lot more work to check how students are doing on their independent reading.
  • Data that is easy to understand and share with students. From either running a report on the entire class or school to just a specific student, AR makes data tracking easy. I can share reports with students and have detailed discussions about their progress towards meeting their goals or steps to take to overcome reading challenges they are currently having.
  • Some quizzes seem to have multiple question sets, so that students can't look up the answers if they failed the test the first time, but I would love to see this done for all quizzes.
  • I feel like Renaissance is doing better about there being more PD available for their products, but I wish it was more readily accessible.
I feel that AR is well suited to any self-contained classroom and for all grades. It is also well suited for those who teach reading across multiple grades. I teach reading 3-8 at our school and I find that it is easy to use AR daily in my classes. If you have a lot of younger students or those who are struggling readers, then the Early Literacy program may be a better fit then the regular Accelerated Reader system. I know that sometimes our Kindergarten classes can't fully use AR until the end of Kindergarten or the start of their 1st-grade year.
Read Jennifer Taylor's full review
Jason Eifling profile photo
Our school/district uses Accelerated Reader. Generally, it is used by Language Arts teachers, but it does help track reading and reading comprehension. Students are given goals to strive for each grading period and strive to reach that goal. There are many pros and cons for using Accelerated Reader but our students have used it for years and I don't see it going away any time soon.
  • If used correctly, Accelerated Reader helps students grow with their reading comprehension and vocabulary skills. I advise teachers to have one on one conversations with students when setting goals (allow students to have input) so that the students are given more responsibility to achieve their own goals.
  • Renaissance's online chat/customer service is outstanding. They can usually answer my questions and do so in an understandable manner. They seem to be willing to help and will follow through if necessary.
  • There are many reports that Accelerated Reader administrators can use to help decipher the data created from their students taking Accelerated Reader quizzes.
  • Lately, Accelerated Reader has been adding "New Reports" which would help single class users such as a teacher with one class. But for a person with administrative rights, it creates a bit of a hassle to get the information needed at times.
  • Cost - Accelerated Reader is expensive. For the price paid, I feel Renaissance should include some features instead of having additional fees paid.
Accelerated Reader is what it is. It has been around for years and pretty much has a lock on this type of service. With that being said, Renaissance still makes improvements and works with the customer to make things better. If people use the product the way it is intended, results can be great. Yes, there is a danger that a product like this hurts the love of reading by "forcing" kids to read. *There are articles written about the positives and negatives of AR elsewhere if you look* But Accelerated Reader gathers plenty of data that can be used by educators to help their classrooms if they choose to use the product as intended.
Read Jason Eifling's full review
Jody Steinhaus profile photo
I am using Renaissance Accelerated Reader in my first and second grade classroom. AR 360 is also being used by all other classrooms--4K-5th grade--in our building. Renaissance Accelerated Reader keeps my students motivated and eager to read and improve their reading skills and strategies. Renaissance AR is the perfect fit when using the Reading Workshop Daily 5 model. Children in my classroom begin every day with reading to themselves, taking comprehension and vocabulary quizzes, and working toward their goal. I have found my students take ownership of their reading and learning and have become much more independent. They challenge themselves and each other to continually grow and improve.
  • Renaissance Accelerated Reader has great customer service support. They are clear, concise, and respond quickly. Their live chat support service is great.
  • Renaissance Accelerated Reader is constantly adding new quizzes to their data base. They keep current with the most popular books that children currently read. They also have quizzes for the timeless classics.
  • Renaissance Accelerated Reader has reports that provide data ranging from the number of words students have read to a students growth trajectory. This is helpful when planning lessons to work with children in small groups or independently.
  • Renaissance allows me the capability to see real time quizzing data. This allows for me to monitor students' progress while also working with other children. I am able to my time efficiently and effectively.
  • It was helpful--and quicker--when my students were able to log in to Accelerated Reader through the iPad app. Unfortunately, the app is not going to be supported. My students will still be able to use the iPad for quizzing and STAR assessments. It is just a couple of extra steps.
Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 is easy to use. It helps build comprehension and expand vocabulary for my students. I love it for the accountability for the read-to-self rotation.
Read Jody Steinhaus's full review
Renee Graham profile photo
April 14, 2019

Reading Magic

It is used across the system. It addresses the problem of reading practice with our students. My classroom uses the program daily and I review the data several times a day. My students enjoy striving for and reaching goals. I appreciate the level playing field. My striving readers can achieve their goals as quickly as my thriving readers.
  • Provides data used to drive instruction. I can easily see who is reading, at what level (above or below their ability) and if they are comprehending what they read.
  • Allows students to choose books they are interested in. Almost every book I've ever searched for has an AR test.
  • Shows students progress toward goals and allows them to monitor it daily.
  • Encourages students to grow
  • Teaches students what they are capable of
  • Increases reading stamina
  • Includes parents in praising students by providing info on each and every test to parents in real time.
  • Keeps parents informed when they sign up for HomeConnect.
  • Provides teachers with small group instruction when using the reports available.
  • It would be nice if students could stop Accelerated Reader tests without a teacher's password.
  • I'd like for students to know the percent of their goal reached, even after they reach 100%. For example, when they are at 125% of goal. That's why I am glad it now shows this info when students test.
Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 is appropriate in any classroom, any grade level. Even striving readers can feel successful by reaching a goal set on their abilities. It allows them to feel just as competent as their peers, some of whom are alreading thriving in the area of reading comprehension and fluency.
Read Renee Graham's full review
Elizabeth Cavazos profile photo
It is being used from PK-12th grade in our district. We have a very strong team that focuses on the data that is gathered from the reports.
  • It allows teachers to have data on the growth the students make in reading independently.
  • Other departments also use the STAR Program to give them data on each students' book levels.
  • As a school, we promote the program with our teachers and students.
  • I love the way it is so user-friendly, and the fact that teachers have an opportunity to live chat in order to ask for help at any time.
  • As a librarian, the program allows us to generate data for teachers to use in their classes.
  • I would love to see more incentives for the schools to receive after achieving their goals.
  • I think it could add emojis to the test questions to make it more interesting.
I feel the program is excellent to keep our students focused on reading independently and also give them a love for reading. It has brought in the 360 component that has really added to the program.
Read Elizabeth Cavazos's full review
Debra Wells profile photo
All elementary schools in my district use AR. It addresses the issue of motivating students to read.
  • Motivates students to read and meet their term goal.
  • Promotes enthusiasm in young readers to watch their flower grow as they take tests.
  • It provides a wide variety of books and levels to help differentiate and help readers on all levels.
  • When students finish a test, the "flower page" could show how many books they need to make their term goal.
  • I'd like to be able to turn off the Spanish quiz option when students log in to take a test. Many young kids click the Spanish test by mistake and then we're stuck in the test.
Kids love it and it has been a program with long term staying power. Our school has used it for over 20 years.
Read Debra Wells's full review
Christine Montiforte profile photo
February 26, 2019

Reading is the future

I use Renaissance daily! It helps me keep up with goals and student achievements! I use logging forms from the website for student folders. Parents enjoy getting updated information on their child's status in our classroom on AR. Students are rewarded every Friday depending on their AR status. Renaissance is used across the district. I have worked at three different districts and 2/3 utilizes Renaissance Accelerated Reader.
  • Accelerated Reader helps educators by having a variety of reports available.
  • Accelerated Reader helps students set goals, and it provides feedback on their status.
  • Accelerated Reader has many forms available for classroom monitoring, small groups, and individual planning for each student.
  • Notifications via email.
  • Alert status.
  • Better quality rewards.
  • More challenges for points.
  • Points should not get taken away.
We have had RAR and we are just now talking about it because of what teachers are earning through points. I wasn't even interested in challenges until another teacher told me what he was working towards ordering. I have received every reward worth having and some were super helpful like the pencil and folder kits. I didn't care for any of the shirts, or sweatshirts. The lunch box was awesome! Earbuds broke too easily. I ordered two boxes! I never had interest in RAR, and now I feel more educated than ever!
Read Christine Montiforte's full review
Shonda Hill profile photo
We use Renaissance Accelerated Reader in our classrooms to allow students to be able to get extra practice in areas of weakness as well as allow students who are in need of a challenge to work ahead. Students enjoy the challenge and they do well with the curriculum. Students are able to challenge themselves as well as track their accomplishments through AR.
  • Tracks student progress.
  • Allows students to test their comprehension.
  • Allows teachers to track student progress.
  • No suggestions.
My students always excel in AR. They challenge themselves and they work hard to raise their book levels. I have seen many students enter my class with a below average reading level and leave with a well above average reading level.
Read Shonda Hill's full review
Vanessa Brown profile photo
Our entire school uses Accelerated Reader. It helps us track our student's progress and understanding of the materials they are reading. It also helps us with a system of rating them to be able to reward them for all their hard work. It encourages our students to read more which broadens their knowledge base.
  • It gives you student's averages of the books they have read.
  • It sets personalized goals for the students.
  • It groups the students into point clubs to show their progress.
  • It gives you an estimated time the students have been engaged in reading during the school day.
  • I would like to see the program reward students for their hard work.
I think the A.R. program works wonderfully in elementary schools!
Read Vanessa Brown's full review
Alisha Taylor profile photo
We currently use Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 in my school for the students to take tests about the books they are reading. It tests their comprehension of the stories that they are reading by asking questions about the stories. It is one of the best programs for schools to use to test students on their comprehension of the books they are reading along with making it a fun way to motivate them to get reading. I like all the different reports that can be created with the data collected from the tests that are taken by the students.
  • Tests comprehension
  • Sets points goals for the students
  • Fun way to see what books the students are reading
  • Gain reading experience.
  • More quizzes on books
  • Reports
  • Quiz glitches
It is well suited for my school because all of our students love to read and are always reading a book. So it is a great way to test and then reward their achievements.
Read Alisha Taylor's full review
Kelsie Haggard profile photo
February 20, 2019

Accelerated Reader 360

Our whole school, though small, uses Accelerated Reader 360. We love the program and being able to see how well our students are paying attention to the books and stories being read. It is also a user-friendly service that helps teachers and parents watch the progress of their child/student. Our students are on the program every day and it is very user-friendly for them as well.
  • It tests students knowledge of books and how close they paid attention to the story.
  • It provides good data for how well a student is growing in their reading abilities.
  • It gives a good level of reading for our students and allows teachers to see what grade level they are close to.
  • I also love the recommendations of other books students could or should read next.
  • The quizzes test more details from a story versus the comprehension of the story.
Accelerated Reader is great for students of all grade levels and good for schools of all sizes from our small school to a much larger school.
Read Kelsie Haggard's full review
Rita Platt profile photo
February 05, 2019

AR Works!

My school uses Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 to help students learn to and love to read. It is perfect for providing a touch of accountability for students as they set and meet their own reading goals. The students love it and the teachers do as well. All in all, it is a perfect compliment to our independent reading program.
  • Assesses basic book comprehension.
  • Allows for quick data access.
  • Allows students to set goals.
  • None
I would recommend Renaissance Accelerated Reader 360 for all elementary and middle schools.
Read Rita Platt's full review
Beth Daly profile photo
We use Renaissance Accelerated Reader to track our kids reading. We give them a test grade every quarter based on how much of their Accelerated Reader goal they met. I started the year with a 25 point test grade and increased it by 25 each quarter, so now they have a 100 point test grade in the book for their goal.
  • I like that have a large test bank.
  • I like that the quizzes are short and very manageable for the kids.
  • I like that different books have different point values.
  • More non-fiction quizzes.
  • There are some books that I expected to be in Accelerated Reader that aren't.
I really like Accelerated Reader, and I think it is a great way to hold kids accountable for reading. Kids don't read today and we have to compete with electronics for their attention. So when we have programs like Accelerated Reader, it makes the students put down the device and pick up a book! It's awesome!
Read Beth Daly's full review
Kari Bastian profile photo
Renaissance Accelerated Reader is used for K-12 across our whole district. It is mainly used with the English teachers and their students. It is also used by our virtual students. Our elementary uses it as a free reading tool to earn points and incentives, and the higher grades use it as a graded activity.
  • It encompasses a large variety of reading materials.
  • It is a user-friendly platform.
  • Book suggestions based on previous use would be a great addition.
I believe it is a great tool for getting students to read more. It gives them a concrete idea of their progress.
Read Kari Bastian's full review
Jessica Spivey profile photo
I am currently a split librarian at an elementary and middle school. All classes and grade levels are using Renaissance Accelerated Reader. This tool helps teachers and administrators check comprehension after the students have read a book.
  • I like how Accelerated Reader now offers nonfiction articles.
  • I like how it is linked to MyOn.
  • It provides assessment for most of the books in the library.
  • Some of the questions are lower level recall questions.
  • It would be easier if MyOn and accelerated reader were linked when taking tests. The students have to open another tab instead of going directly to the website.
Great for checking comprehension. I also like how the books are on reading levels that fall in the zpd ranges.
Read Jessica Spivey's full review

About Renaissance Accelerated Reader

Renaissance Accelerated Reader® is designed to save educators time by empowering them with Learnalytics® to make differentiating independent and close reading practice effortless – all while maintaining the flexibility necessary to fit within existing classroom routines. Students are engaged in reading self-selected authentic books and articles.

Short comprehension quizzes and built-in close reading practice activities, combined with automatic and educator feedback, keep students accountable for their learning. Dashboards and reporting provide users with the insights necessary to identify quickly which students need more support, which skills each student is ready to learn, and which resources will cultivate proven growth.

According to the vendor, key benefits include:

• Students are nearly twice as likely to be college and career ready with they practice with Renaissance Accelerated Reader.
  • A strong research base of 178 scientific studies and review backs Renaissance Accelerated Reader, which ensures that you have scientifically sound practice and reliable data for instructional decisions.
  • The Council of Administrators of Special Education endorses Renaissance Accelerated Reader for improving outcomes for students with disabilities.