Renaissance Accelerated Reader Reviews

Kelsie Haggard | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 12, 2020

Accelerated Reader 360

Alternatives Considered

I have not personally evaluated any other programs similar to Accelerated Reader. AR was the program introduced to me when I started teaching and since I have never had any issues with it, I have never been driven to find another program with similar offerings.
Read Kelsie Haggard's full review
November 07, 2019

Accelerated Reader Rocks!

Alternatives Considered

I don't know another program like this. We do have many online resources that we use, but nothing like Accelerated Reader. I like that even when we use ebooks such as Capstone, we can link the book to Renaissance so that they can take the test immediately after the book ends.
Jennifer Taylor | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 27, 2019

Accelerated Reader does just that: Accelerate reading in your classroom.

Alternatives Considered

We use both DRA and Renaissance products in our school. I like DRA for benchmarking and for in-depth responses from students. I can use DRA to pinpoint errors because I can see the answers, unlike the STAR assessments (the placement tests given in conjunction with Accelerated Reader) in Renaissance. I prefer DRA for progress monitoring because it is quicker to have them answer a few questions targeting specific skills, instead of a 30+ question test with STAR. Also, STAR is independent reading ability, not comprehension. For a student with dyslexia, their IRL will be much lower than their comprehension, so just taking their STAR data into account will result in inaccurate results. However, I find that I really like the versatility of using AR, namely the auto-generated reports and immediate data feedback that is not available with DRA (though some schools use the online DRA programs that have this feature). I find that by using both, I have a complete picture of my students' reading abilities.
Read Jennifer Taylor's full review
Christine Montiforte | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 26, 2019

Reading is the future

Alternatives Considered

They are very close in the diagnosis of groups or levels. My interests are in where our students were when we first meet. I build on their individual levels. Monitoring their reading per minute is helpful. There are so many ways I could decide on small grouping but RAR and iReady make it easy with an initial status result.
Read Christine Montiforte's full review
Alisha Taylor | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 20, 2019

I love Reniassance Accelerated Reader

Alternatives Considered

I am currently using Accelerated Math with my students as extra Math practice for them after they finish their regular assignment. It provides a wide variety of skills that are taught and reviewed. The students enjoy doing the practice for the most part. They said that it gets a little boring at times but they are learning new concepts each day. They like having the option to be able to watch a video if they do not understand.
Read Alisha Taylor's full review
Rita Platt | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 05, 2019

AR Works!

Alternatives Considered

AR has a much larger quiz catalog
Read Rita Platt's full review
May 15, 2019

AR 360 is ready to rumble!

Alternatives Considered

I have also used Whooo's Reading, which is free, but felt that it was extremely lacking when compared to AR. It was easier for students to type a certain amount of words in their answer to confuse the auto grader and to pass a quiz without much information in their answers. I love the individualized reports in AR and the goal setting to track progress over the school year.

About Renaissance Accelerated Reader

Renaissance Accelerated Reader® is designed to save educators time by empowering them with Learnalytics® to make differentiating independent and close reading practice effortless – all while maintaining the flexibility necessary to fit within existing classroom routines. Students are engaged in reading self-selected authentic books and articles.

Short comprehension quizzes and built-in close reading practice activities, combined with automatic and educator feedback, keep students accountable for their learning. Dashboards and reporting provide users with the insights necessary to identify quickly which students need more support, which skills each student is ready to learn, and which resources will cultivate proven growth.

According to the vendor, key benefits include:

• Students are nearly twice as likely to be college and career ready with they practice with Renaissance Accelerated Reader.
  • A strong research base of 178 scientific studies and review backs Renaissance Accelerated Reader, which ensures that you have scientifically sound practice and reliable data for instructional decisions.
  • The Council of Administrators of Special Education endorses Renaissance Accelerated Reader for improving outcomes for students with disabilities.