Rocket Matter is used as the firm's billing, scheduling, and contact management software. It keeps track of billable time and receivables, …
I am not using Rocket Matter in my current role, but I used it previously when I worked as an office manager and billing manager at a …
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Rocket Matter, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
Rocket Matter is legal practice management and time and billing software on the web, with apps for iPhone and Android. Rocket Matter integrates to email, and also includes document management and calendar features.
Companies can't remove reviews or game the system. Here's why
Rocket Matter is used as the firm's billing, scheduling, and contact management software. It keeps track of billable time and receivables, and is essential to capturing time and tasks on a regular basis. Rocket Matter also generates invoices and reminder statements easily, and is essential for the smooth running of the law firm.
- Time capture - both via a timer and manual entry, makes sure you can get all the time entered on a regular basis in a quick and easy manner.
- Decent mobile integration. iPhone and iPad app typically work well and allow you to input time and expenses away from the office.
- Generating invoices and reminder statements is a snap, as are generating reports on income received and outstanding receivables as well as time worked.
- The mobile app on occasion does have hiccups, especially on the iPhone. It can be cumbersome to enter time on it, and on occasion, time does not seem to get properly entered back into the system after entering it on mobile.
- Having to create a matter and then go back in and edit it to set customized rates is a bit cumbersome and an unnecessary extra step. Setting rates should be easier.
- Generating reminder statements is not very intuitive.
- The monthly invoice report does not print out well from the website, and there should be an easier way to get a good printout to make a master list of invoices to be made. Earlier iterations did this better.
Rocket Matter is excellent for billing and invoicing for hourly, flat rate, or contingency matters. It does a great job of ensuring time is captured and then invoicing. Trust accounting is vital and works very well indeed, which is always important from an ethical and business standpoint. The mobile app is still not quite where it should be, but the web-based version is excellent in office.
I am not using Rocket Matter in my current role, but I used it previously when I worked as an office manager and billing manager at a solo-attorney law firm. Rocket Matter was used to store case notes, track billable and non-billable hourly work, as a secondary calendar management system, and as a secondary method of IOLTA trust accounting. Since the office consisted of only myself and the attorney, Rocket Matter was used office-wide.
- Tracking billable and non-billable hourly work is one of Rocket Matter's best functions. There is a timer that can be used to track work as it occurs, or billable time can be recorded manually after work has been completed. A complete record of time worked per client, per matter, and per staff member is created. I used this data to generate invoices and also to analyze how time was being spent on billable and non-billable tasks by myself and the attorney.
- Rocket Matter offers ample features for invoicing and managing client payments, all of which are highly customizable. Billable work, costs, fees, and client payments are all recorded per matter. An invoice can be generated from this data, based on a template provided by Rocket Matter or a customized template. Though I did not use the client portal feature, users can invite clients to an online portal to view invoices and submit credit card payment via LawPay. Alternatively, invoices can be printed and mailed or emailed to clients. Billing structures, such as monthly installment payments and evergreen retainers, can be set up per matter, as well.
- By recording billable work, expenses, and payments, I was able to use Rocket Matter as a secondary IOLTA trust accounting record. When a client deposited into a trust account, I recorded the payment in the client retainer in Rocket Matter. Each time I transferred funds to pay for earned work, I recorded the transaction when I invoiced the client. This record demonstrated why, when, and in what amount earned funds were moved from client retainers.
- While the Notes feature was immensely useful for keeping track of the last work completed on a matter or to keep a record of discussions with clients or relevant legal research, it could have been far more user-friendly. There is no way to export Notes saved to a .doc, .pdf, or any other format. To print or download Notes, I would have to painstakingly click on each entry and copy it into a word document, then go back to the previous page to click on the next entry to repeat the process as many times as there were notes. If printed directly from the website, the formatting spills off of the page.
- I am pleased with the amount which can be customized in invoice templates in Rocket Matter. However, to create your own template you need to use fields recognized by the program. Rocket Matter provides a guide and a list of available fields, however, it is a fairly complex undertaking for anyone unfamiliar with using fields in Word documents or using other code, such as HTML. It would be more intuitive for users if Rocket Matter employed a template customizing feature similar to that of QuickBooks, where text boxes and fields can be inserted and manually dragged to the desire area of the template.
- Rocket Matter can run very slowly and can slow down your computer quite a bit while it is running. I upgraded to a newer laptop with higher RAM after my first year of using Rocket Matter, and there was a noticeable difference in the speed and ease of use.
Rocket Matter offers many features useful to a law office of any size. Users can be added to the same subscription so that attorneys and paralegals can record their own billable and non-billable hours, costs, case notes, and tasks. I wish my current firm used Rocket Matter for the billing features alone. Generating invoices and creating a record of trust retainer transactions was easy and efficient. All payment and billing records were stored in one central system, which allowed me to look up a client's payment history, billing status and retainer balance in under 5 minutes.