Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
- Same format Spreadsheet
- Ability to adjust by percentages
- Ability to separate phases into categories
- Is not cloud based
- More customization would be appreciated
- Sage Estimating is very good at providing the users (and eventually clients) with a clean, well broken down estimate of how we have come up with a specific bid amount. It allows consistency among our different precon managers in how they present the final numbers of a bid.
- The way Sage Estimating presents itself to a precon manager/user allows ease of use from the very start such that someone can build a bid with very little training.
- The program has a fairly antiquated user interface such that someone working in it may not feel like they are working with advanced software.
- Sage Estimating has absolutely no remote access capability outside running it in a Citrix/RDP environment so users have to be using a fat/full client vs. any hopes of access on a mobile device.
- Assemblies & Models are one of the strongest features of Sage Estimating. They take the software far beyond what simple templates can accomplish. The assemblies that the user creates are always up to date with the latest data in the database. They allow you to take off huge amounts of material & labor quickly, giving you the time to focus on analyzing the estimate.
- The WBS (work breakdown structure) gives the user the ability to sort data in a large variety of ways. Using multiple WBS fields the user can view the estimate in a variety of different ways, allowing for a more complete review.
- The Sage Helpdesk is always helpful and efficient. They are usually able to resolve any issues in a timely manner. And once the software is up and running properly, it requires very little maintenance.
- The software works well with Crystal Reports. The user can attach multiple Crystal Reports to the Reports Menu for ease of access. Sage Estimating comes with its own Crystal Report application. The user can use this to create custom reports.
- The latest SQL version of Sage Estimating represents a welcome step forward from Sage. It is more secure and stable than the older Pervasive version. It allows for the assigning of different roles to the estimators in the organizations, such as admin, Sr Estimator, Jr Estimator. The user can even define their own roles.
- While the SQL version may represent a step forward from Sage, it is a recent release and still has a few bugs in it. (I’ve contacted Sage with the issues I’ve found and hopefully they are working to resolve them.) For instance, I've found a bug where the Notes column prints twice when I run a report. However there is a simple workaround for this.
- Though the database contains lots of user fields, it lacks the ability to add custom fields to the database. For instance, a weight field added to the material portion of the database would be very useful.
- The Sage Helpdesk is always helpful unless they have not encountered the error before. In which case, they struggle a bit.
- The software works with Crystal Reports, but the Sage helpdesk doesn’t support Crystal Report. I have an issue with my reports latching onto data from old estimates and not letting go. I have developed a work around for this, but it is still a bug that needs to be addressed.
- I would also like the menus to be customizable.
Sage Estimating was initially created for the construction industry and many of its current users use it to estimate buildings, but it has adapted quite well for the oil and gas industry. If the user is willing to invest the time and energy to develop and maintain their database, I can see it working for any industry.
It is very easy to adjust and adapt the database as estimating methods and project designs change. As an example, our accounting department sometimes changes the way projects are reporting in our accounting software. Because I can go through our 9000 line item database in a couple of days, I am always ahead of the curve and can report my estimates in the format they require.
- Manage Assemblies
- Easy sorts for quick references on different phases
- GREAT WBS structure
- Easy generation for new bids
- Interface to other BIM applications
- Reports are lacking