Sage Estimating in a NutshellSage Estimating is used within the project develop team to estimate projects of various types. Our group estimates pipeline installations, compressor station installations, metering facilities and maintenance capital projects. We produce anywhere from 900 to 1000 estimates a year. Our costs ranges from $50K to $500 million.,Assemblies & Models are one of the strongest features of Sage Estimating. They take the software far beyond what simple templates can accomplish. The assemblies that the user creates are always up to date with the latest data in the database. They allow you to take off huge amounts of material & labor quickly, giving you the time to focus on analyzing the estimate. The WBS (work breakdown structure) gives the user the ability to sort data in a large variety of ways. Using multiple WBS fields the user can view the estimate in a variety of different ways, allowing for a more complete review. The Sage Helpdesk is always helpful and efficient. They are usually able to resolve any issues in a timely manner. And once the software is up and running properly, it requires very little maintenance. The software works well with Crystal Reports. The user can attach multiple Crystal Reports to the Reports Menu for ease of access. Sage Estimating comes with its own Crystal Report application. The user can use this to create custom reports. The latest SQL version of Sage Estimating represents a welcome step forward from Sage. It is more secure and stable than the older Pervasive version. It allows for the assigning of different roles to the estimators in the organizations, such as admin, Sr Estimator, Jr Estimator. The user can even define their own roles.,While the SQL version may represent a step forward from Sage, it is a recent release and still has a few bugs in it. (I’ve contacted Sage with the issues I’ve found and hopefully they are working to resolve them.) For instance, I've found a bug where the Notes column prints twice when I run a report. However there is a simple workaround for this. Though the database contains lots of user fields, it lacks the ability to add custom fields to the database. For instance, a weight field added to the material portion of the database would be very useful. The Sage Helpdesk is always helpful unless they have not encountered the error before. In which case, they struggle a bit. The software works with Crystal Reports, but the Sage helpdesk doesn’t support Crystal Report. I have an issue with my reports latching onto data from old estimates and not letting go. I have developed a work around for this, but it is still a bug that needs to be addressed. I would also like the menus to be customizable.,9,Sage Estimating software is superior in almost every way to using spreadsheets. I have used both methods to estimate projects and much prefer estimating software. Using this software I can estimate an entire compressor station in under an hour. It literally takes seconds to generate the estimate; and then I spend the rest of the time adjusting and reviewing it. This saves hours of time and allows me to produce hundreds of estimates a year. We maintain a high level of accuracy by using Sage Estimating. While there are always outliers, most of our estimates fall well within the accuracy range of the class of estimate we produce. (Our accuracy ranges are based on AACEI guidelines.) Overall, our projects generally fall within +/- 5% of the budget. The accuracy and quality of the estimate is only as good as the time and energy invested in maintaining the database. The database requires quite a bit of maintenance in order to keep it accurate. I spend perhaps 10% of my time working with the data.,,Microsoft Access,3,1,We use Sage Estimating for Pipelines, Compressor Stations, Metering Facilities and Maintenance Capital Projects.,Our estimating is fairly straight forward, but the Assemblies and Models are a very innovative way to take off material and labor.,We will just continue to use it as we always have.,9SAGE Estimating is a Great solutionWe use SAGE Estimating for all of our bids, which number between 500-700 per year. We our markets vary from community to medical. Sage Estimating is a valued tool with in our organization, I have custom built the database to allow our company to bid as needed for best practices.,Manage Assemblies Easy sorts for quick references on different phases GREAT WBS structure Easy generation for new bids,Interface to other BIM applications Reports are lacking,10,Turnaround on Estimates are very quick and the ability to copy and existing estimate for similar projects is priceless The tool is easy to learn and can be picked up quickly by new hires (many have at least used SAGE in college),,Vista by Viewpoint
Sage Estimating

Sage Estimating Reviews

Sage Estimating
Filter 16 vetted Sage Estimating reviews and ratings
Ross Kleypas profile photo
July 29, 2016

User Review: "Sage Estimating in a Nutshell"

• Assemblies & Models are one of the strongest features of Sage Estimating. They take the software far beyond what simple templates can accomplish. The assemblies that the user creates are always up to date with the latest data in the database. They allow you to take off huge amounts of material & labor quickly, giving you the time to focus on analyzing the estimate.
  • The WBS (work breakdown structure) gives the user the ability to sort data in a large variety of ways. Using multiple WBS fields the user can view the estimate in a variety of different ways, allowing for a more complete review.
  • The Sage Helpdesk is always helpful and efficient. They are usually able to resolve any issues in a timely manner. And once the software is up and running properly, it requires very little maintenance.
  • The software works well with Crystal Reports. The user can attach multiple Crystal Reports to the Reports Menu for ease of access. Sage Estimating comes with its own Crystal Report application. The user can use this to create custom reports.
  • The latest SQL version of Sage Estimating represents a welcome step forward from Sage. It is more secure and stable than the older Pervasive version. It allows for the assigning of different roles to the estimators in the organizations, such as admin, Sr Estimator, Jr Estimator. The user can even define their own roles.
  • While the SQL version may represent a step forward from Sage, it is a recent release and still has a few bugs in it. (I’ve contacted Sage with the issues I’ve found and hopefully they are working to resolve them.) For instance, I've found a bug where the Notes column prints twice when I run a report. However there is a simple workaround for this.
  • Though the database contains lots of user fields, it lacks the ability to add custom fields to the database. For instance, a weight field added to the material portion of the database would be very useful.
  • The Sage Helpdesk is always helpful unless they have not encountered the error before. In which case, they struggle a bit.
  • The software works with Crystal Reports, but the Sage helpdesk doesn’t support Crystal Report. I have an issue with my reports latching onto data from old estimates and not letting go. I have developed a work around for this, but it is still a bug that needs to be addressed.
  • I would also like the menus to be customizable.

Sage Estimating was initially created for the construction industry and many of its current users use it to estimate buildings, but it has adapted quite well for the oil and gas industry. If the user is willing to invest the time and energy to develop and maintain their database, I can see it working for any industry.

It is very easy to adjust and adapt the database as estimating methods and project designs change. As an example, our accounting department sometimes changes the way projects are reporting in our accounting software. Because I can go through our 9000 line item database in a couple of days, I am always ahead of the curve and can report my estimates in the format they require.

Read Ross Kleypas's full review
Robin Peterson profile photo
July 29, 2016

User Review: "SAGE Estimating is a Great solution"

• Manage Assemblies
  • Easy sorts for quick references on different phases
  • GREAT WBS structure
  • Easy generation for new bids
  • Interface to other BIM applications
  • Reports are lacking
I have done in-depth analysis on the current estimating products in the market place and Sage has always scored the highest.
Read Robin Peterson's full review