We consult with clients on their CRM needs and implement Salesforce EDA if it is a good fit for their needs. Other options may include the other nonprofit offerings from Salesforce (formerly Salesforce.org).
- Extensibility - Implement your custom needs in the database.
- Scalability - Your database grows with your student/alumni population.
- Integration - Integrate with your SIS via many middleware.
- Reporting - All of Salesforce's reporting capabilities.
- Reports - Comes with no out of the box reports.
- OOB functionality may be limited - important to have folks with experience customizing EDA to an organization's needs.
- Upfront cost - Implementation services (either a hired team or consultants) is imperative to make it work.
Well suited for larger or mid-sized institutions willing to invest to have all of their student services needs to be fulfilled by a single platform. It would be less appropriate for non-traditional universities i.e. smaller schools, or nonprofits that have education/curriculum but also have other programs/fundraising, etc. since it may not be positive ROI for them, or the nonprofit solutions might be more valuable for them.
Dealing with Salesforce tech support can be challenging, depending on the agent you get.