Reviews (1-25 of 44)
- Ingest data from multiple areas of the business and use them to generate easy to understand reports.
- Report scheduling is simple and efficient allowing the team to run reports at a variety of different times to suit the stakeholder's needs.
- The metalayer takes away some of the complexities of other programs, allowing the end user to interact with the program in a clean and efficient way.
- We have had some difficulty linking up with data in some of our web portals. This has caused a large amount of development time, and support has been less than its usual helpful self in this regard.
- Older versions had functions which have now been removed, or replaced with less effecient functions. For example the HTML output option.
- Some configuration issues have arisen when we have attempted to configure API'S. Some require a JDBC connection, which was slightly more difficult than expected.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "A wonderful tool that has evolutionized to the new needs in business."
- We can expand results for a lot of users in a short time.
- The tool WebIntelligence is easy for the user and the training also is in a short time.
- It is possible to inherit the security that is implemented in SAP BW.
- Funcional users can be independent for generating your own analytics.
- I am using WebI 4.1, and I think it has deficiency in a variety of charts, for example vs Power BI.
- I generate my principal reports from BW querys, would be wonderful if for example in IDT if I could edit the BW query in like a: change names, create folders, new ratios...
- Some times when I need change the data source in special from a BW query, is difficult.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "Great capabilities but complex and the future will soon make it obselete"
- The fact that you are able to work offline on creating reports and then, within the local client, be able to upload it to the BI Platform and continue editing from the local client, while connected to the BI Platform
- Separation of end user (BI Launchpad) and management/administration (Central Management Console) access points
- Interoperability with other SAP products (e.g. Lumira, FIORI, AA)
- The "FIORI-fied" BI Launchpad still has limited functionality which causes us not to leverage it. It is important to have a consistent UI look and feel for our users but we cannot sacrifice functionality. Therefore we don't have users access the BI Launchpad, we just link them from FIORI, directly to the reports.
- We've found it very hard to find answers to very simple questions (e.g. what is the best approach for security model, bearing in mind the size of our organization). Both directly with SAP and via third-party contractors, we have struggled to find answers quickly, and sometimes at all...
- As with all SAP products, they constantly change their recommendation. One minute, the BI Platform is the way forward and we should invest everything into this, and then the next it is SAP Analytics Cloud, and BI Platform will become obsolete.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform is a good or Bad tool for future???"
- Great reporting platform for business users
- Better data governance framework
- Multi developer friendly tool
- Does not require a user to know SQL query language
- Leverage its automation to set up routine data delivery extracts to the server
- Designing the reports is bit difficult for the standard users.
- Tool's licences are expensive
- Training is required for any SAP standard user to use this tool efficiently
It is less appropriate if we need to customize certain complex calculations for the management .
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "Business Objects for Self-Service and AdHoc reporting"
- Easy, user friendly set of tools specially WebI.
- Different set of applications to support different reporting needs such as WebI, Crystal etc.
- SAP BI platform can connect to several different data sources.
- Try to combine Crystal reports for Enterprise and Crystal Reports 2013.
- Analysis for Office can be more standardized. It faces issues with different versions of Excel and operating systems.
- Some user friendly dash boarding tool can be introduced.
SAP Business Objects BI Platform may not be appropriate for creating quick dashboards and sharing.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "A solution that will grow with the company"
- Very good scalability and a real must if you have an SAP as the main ERP system in the production across several factories.
- Very good vertical integration with other SAP tools and even other main ERP solutions.
- A good choice for a publicly traded company, where a robust auditable system is a prerequisite for getting transparency into internal.
- Mobility - in the version currently in use it is complicated to build responsive mobile reports
- We have integrated the reports on SAP HANA data, and SAP BO did not deliver the required results - the solution had to be replaced by SAP BO Design Studio, purchased additionally.
- Pricing - this is not a technical feature, but for companies with only a handful of analysts, this could be an insuperable problem.
The mode users will use it, the better - otherwise, the pricing policy could spoil the ROI. Very good integration possibilities, with other standard enterprise applications. Support of various data resources, incl. XML, OLAP etc. including the ability to connect to JAVA, MS Sharepoint, MS Office and .NET applications.
The programmer community around SAP BO is HUGE. It is quite certain, that the problem you have has already been solved by someone else. It requires a little digging in discussions, but the help is mostly available. You definitely cannot start small with SAP BO. It feels too costly,
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "SAP BusinessObjects BI - the budget killer"
- Merged dimension queries.
- Flexibility with Universe Query vs. Free-Hand SQL.
- Licensing cost is very prohibitive for smaller/medium-sized businesses.
- Upgrades to BOBJ are non-existent without additional cost.
- BOBJ is severely lagging on available technologies at the current price point.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "Is SAP BusinessObjects Good for your company?"
- It can get the right set of information in the format you want out of the whole organisation wide data.
- It can allow you to automate the data to be shared with internal and external vendors.
- It allows dashboards, analytics and graphical representation of data for better understanding.
- The Lumira tool needs to be stabilised.
- Scheduling of dashboards and analysis need to be simplified.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "Powerful BI Tool Once the Organization Commits to Consolidate Data Platform"
- SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform is powerful and the reports are excellent, as long as your organization is dedicated to consolidate all processes into SAP.
- SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform, when installed centralized and published via remote access tool like Citrix, can be accessed anywhere while data is secure at central location.
- For a BI tool SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform is much more user-friendly than offerings from Oracle.
- Dashboard access for leadership is excellent and updates are continually improving the product.
- Implementation of SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform requires large capital investment.
- User training tools provided by SAP for SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform is lacking interactive content. Improved user training material with version updates would be very helpful for implementation and continuous education.
- Managing version upgrades and hotfixes for SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform with more control to users to have time to plan for upgrades.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform: "SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform review by a non-tech, non-IT user"
- Generates reports, allows reports to be exported to excel.
- End users can drill down on some of the information to view a more detail analysis.
- Requires no IT involvement, or minimal IT involvement.
- Users can perform BI analysis from multiple data sources and export the analysis in different formats.
- The licensing process is confusing.
- Users have to request access to certain reports and due to the licensing restrictions we are very limited
- Support is very expensive when compared to other systems.
- Customizations are costly and we tend to use the out-of-the-box version, which isn't always the best solution.
Well suited: for HR or sales. User can view volumes of sales with updated information, drill down on results, export results to Excel, for analysis.
Less appropriate: for general users. Although it is a powerful reporting tool, it is not user-friendly. Users require a lot of training and getting used to, to be able to use the system.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform: "SAP BusinessObjects review from an early adopter"
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform: "SAP Business Objects: Review by a Grumpy Old Customer"
- Simplicity. It is very easy for a non technical user to create and format a report in Web Intelligence. This is especially true with the new 4.1 release.
- Report distribution. Several options available, such as FTP, File Location, BO Inbox and Email. Each is very intuitive and simple to use without any confusing, very technical options (ex. Oracle's OBIEE).
- Scheduling. This is a very important feature that is being used a lot here at the city (over 700 scheduled reports run every night). Very robust scheduling engine that can be easily configured and adjusted by the administrator if needed.
- Service Pack/Fix Pack reliability. Each SP/FP fixes certain bugs, but unfortunately sometimes messes up other features (problematic upgrade from TOMCAT 5 to 7) which can be very frustrating. That is why we carefully test every one of them in our DEV environment before promoting it to Production/
- JAVA vulnerability. It appears SAP is slow with latest JAVA client (needed for Web Intelligence report creation/edit) support. This creates issues when users update their JAVA release to the latest version, which is not yet supported by SAP resulting in error messages.
- Internal reporting on Business Objects environment. You can report against user activity (from the audit tables), but there is no build in tool/capability to report on BO content, users, security environment which is very helpful for the administrators. Third party expensive tools are needed (APOS).
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "Know why customers go for Business Objects"
- Various tools to implement end to end BI, for example: ETL, Reporting, Dashboarding
- Good connectivity with CRM, ECC and other SAP systems etc
- Data Security, Visually intuitive, Ease of use
- Webi, Rich Client, SAP Dashboard, Crystal Reports reporting tool to cover needs of a variety of users
- SAP should provide free software and licenses for students
- SAP Extractors are designed by third party, so no support for those
- Reporting with no semantec layer
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "Business Objects a good option for complex data analysis"
- It´s a very complete suite, that covers all needs in a BI project - extraction, data consolidation, data warehouse design, report and analysis tools.
- The dashboard designer is very powerful and it´s an easy way to visually key operational tracking data like KPIs and scorecards.
- The data services is a very complete tool for data extraction and information consolidation. Allows for multiple connections and workflows.
- The middleware is very complex, sometimes you don´t know how to configure data connections.
- The business objects tools are the result of various acquisitions, sometimes the integration between them is not complete.
- A high level of specialization is necessary to configure BO.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "Great BI platform for organizations with established well-defined data practices, although not for the self-serve visualization era"
- First and foremost the business presentation layer is top-notch (previously called universes, now called business layers). This architecture provides an object oriented development layer for use across the platform including WebIntelligence, Lumira, Dashboard Designer, and Crystal Reports (Enterprise).
- Crystal Reports is still a standard among reporting tools, and the next evolution into enterprise is on the right track. Crystal Reports has always been the defacto standard in enterprise reporting and the enterprise version brings with it better integration with Business Objects.
- The launch pad provides a great delivery mechanism to business users. Security is very granular and easy to maintain, and providing users with their own document space allows each user to maintain their own work spaces.
- Web Intelligence is a great ad-hoc tool. Users coming from Excel will have enough familiarities to be able to transition easily. It really unlocks a world of opportunities for the normal business user to do analysis and reporting in a controlled manner.
- Integration with Microsoft Office is great with the newer collaboration of Power Query. The organization was able to move away from cube driven analysis and into self serve dimensional analysis utilizing universes with Excel.
- To stay relevant, SAP is going to need to introduce a self-serve dashboard tool to compete with the likes of Tableau and other emerging companies.
- Dashboard Design is SAP's weakest area, in particular Dashboard Designer (formerly XCelsius). This product is very dated and feels like legacy.
- The development tool integration into the platform as a whole is lacking. Each tool seems to have a different way for connecting and interacting with data and feels a bit broken and non-cohesive.
- Predictive Analytics could benefit from some attention. Explorer is a decent discovery tool but would benefit from the next generation of whatever it will become and bring better predictive analysis.
- Well formatted tables of data, similar to an Excel pivot table but for larger data sets.
- Scheduling tasks to run at a later time or date.
- Easy formula editing, if someone knows how to use the functions in Excel they'll be able to work with Business Objects formulas.
- You can't easily run large data sets. Normally you have schedule these projects.
- You cannot email the result automatically to a regular email user. You can only send them an email to the systems built in Inbox.
- End users can't create their own computed value/fields, generally you need IT to do that in the back end.
- SAP Business Objects reduces total cost of ownership (TCO0 which gives advantage to a better performance and scalability.
- BI platform.
- Data exploration.
- It can cost a lot of money to implement SAP business objects.
- It can be a little hard to understand the software and the way SAP business objects works.
- You will need to have plenty of servers to make SAP Business Objects work.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "Business Object: Scalable and Easy to use !"
Key users are making reports available to the whole organization
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "Best Reporting tool in the BI Market"
I have developed multiple canned and ad-hoc reports as per business needs. Basically this serves the purpose of reporting provisioning, billing and usage information of the different offerings Citrix has.
- Easy to build and debug reports both with OLTP and OLAP data.
- Multiple features like merging, fetching data from multiple sources and data security are integrated in BO.
- Easy to share the reports with users by scheduling and publication like features and also it comes with a nice portal, Infoview.
- SAP BO should have application connectors for applications like Marketo
- Switching database schemas for the same table should be there.
- Ease of use. Allows non technical end users to be self-sufficient in regards to ad-hoc reporting .
- Visual aid creation. Allows a more varied approach to presentations.
- Exporting formats. A variety of formats allows for a wider assortment of uses.
- Difficult to implement
- Difficult to create rights for various users
- Need more format types for exporting.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "SAP Business Objects Great for Application Intergrations"
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "SAP Business Objects is a strong choice for an Enterprise reporting solution"
- The flexibility that BOBJ offers is what sets them apart. We have some pretty complex needs around batching multiple reports and maintaining one schedule. We were able to set this up with a package or publication if we needed it bursted and then have that schedule trigger another batch of reports.
- We wanted to offer our external clients the ability to access information by calling a web service from their external applications. Using Query as a Web Service we were easily able to offer this to them. The Query as a Web Service client tool is easy to use even for a non-technical user. We have our clients create a report with what they want to see and then we turn it into a web service and let them consume it.
- We had a need to produce mass amounts of emails to our customers that would give them a summarized view of their accounts. Using the bursting option we were able to produce a single report that is sent monthly to each customer with only their data on the report. We created a custom application that our business could use to maintain a table of email addresses that the report should be sent to each month. This eliminated the need to have IT involved.
- We are not on the latest version (4.1) yet and would love to get there, but SAP has made this difficult. We have to add hardware and we are currently using the .NET Infoview. This is no longer supported in 4.1 and they only have Java BI Launch Pad. We have a considerable amount of work to convert over.
- SAP Support Portal is very difficult to use. It makes you login every page you go to and trying to get help is very difficult. I find most answers through trial and error or the BOB.
- I would really like to see the ability to schedule a report to an email, but rather than attach the report it includes a link to the report in the email. I know Cognos has this functionality and I would like to see it here.
- I also would like to see the ability to schedule to a text format. Currently it only lets you save to this format when you have the report open.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "SAP BusinessObjects 4.0 for use in Ambulatory Healthcare"
- The product is a great central platform for BI needs.
- User can be setup to have access to specific data elements.
- Reports and documents can be published and pushed out to each user.
- The software can be distributed via a central server rather than maintain software on each user's computer.
- The software typically requires training to use and is not very intuitive.
- The security setup is difficult to learn and understand.
- There have been some compatibility issues when connecting to the latest non-SAP data sources.
- Updating and upgrading the software is not easy.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Review: "The New SAP BusinessObjects RESTful SDK: What It Means to You"
- Designed for Crystal, Web Intelligence and the BI Platform, the RESTful SDK (RSDK) is the next-generation application programming interface (API) for manipulating and interacting with reporting content residing on your BusinessObjects server.
- For starters, it means no more jar files. Or, if you are a .Net developer, merge modules and or .dll files. The RSDK is based on a lightweight, refreshing platform that literally requires no installation. All it requires is knowledge of a handful of URLs and configuring your BOE server for web services (which is already configured by default).
- With the newest versions Windows AD Single Sign on is configurable with your custom application with much less time and effort.
- Prior to BOE 4.0 SP6 there as little parity with the JAVA/.NET SDK so an upgrade to BOE 4.1 is necessary to get the majority of functionality available.
- We have built our own SAML, OAuth, Active Directory, SiteMinder and Ping Identity Connects through to BusinessObjects. I would expect these will be come part of the API in the future.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Competitors
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) Platform Technical Details
|Operating Systems:||Apple Safari, Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Windows: Server 2008 and 2012; Suse SLES 11 x86_64; Red Hat EL 5 and 6 x86_64; AIX 6.1 and 7.1 Power; Solaris 10 and 11 SPARC|