My organization is using the SAS Data Management Platform at an enterprise-level i.e., across multiple companies. The business problem was to have a single source of data for reporting and analysis as well as creating a 360-degree customer view to identify common customers across companies to improve cross-sell and up-sell. As there are multiple systems across multiple systems, a common data management platform was required to create an EDW for the same.
- Easy to use even for non-technical people
- Connects to a variety of data sources
- Statistical transformations available as part of the module
- Graphical drag & drop interface
- Requires third-party drivers to connect to common data sources like SFDC, MS SQL, Postgres.
- Debugging errors from the logs is a complicated process.
- E-mail alert system is very primitive and needs customization to make it more modern,
- Cannot send SMS alerts for jobs.
SAS Data Management Platform is very well suited if you have common data sources like Oracle, SAP, MS SQL, etc.. Still, if there are a bit more obscure, then you need to purchase additional connectors to connect to those data sources. It is well suited when you don't have a business team with strong technical/coding background as the drag and drop interface makes creating jobs and scheduling them quite easy.
SAS Tech Support is one of the best tech supports available. Not only do they respond faster, but they also have a global 24x7 support team that helps in case of production server issues. The staff is quite knowledgable and accommodating. They help you via e-mail, phone, or even WebEx if the issue demands. The solutions they provide are quite detailed and easy to implement even for someone who hasn't worked on SAS.