Scale Computing HC3 Reviews

<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>

TrustRadius TRUE BadgeTrustRadius Top Rated for 2021

April 29, 2021
Tom Blazek | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Setting up and provisioning a new VM is super simple.
  • I come from a VMWare environment but the Scale UI is very easy to understand. I can imagine for someone new they would be able to learn the task of managing the cluster very easily.
  • Snapshots and clones are processed super fast.
  • I would like to be able to see actual disk availability instead of the raw number of TB.
  • The ability to copy and paste from your local machine to a VM seems like missing functionality, it is very useful to have.
  • I guess it's not a problem specifically with Scale, probably more with KVM and backup vendors but I really did enjoy having a backup system that worked across the whole hypervisor, it just simplified things a lot.
  • I would like to see the breakdown of the VMs and the amount of RAM they are consuming changed a bit. If its a VM with less than 6 GB it doesn't show on the dashboard. Maybe if it was a pie chart it would be easier? Not sure but just something different would be nice so you could see all the VMs.
Read Tom Blazek's full review
December 18, 2020
Jon Brantner | TrustRadius Reviewer

• Centralized server management
  • Quick visibility of the health of the server environment. It provides tools to provide a quick glance at the infrastructure
  • Increased backup/redundancy of data without additional products or implementations
  • More server statistics in the environment window
  • History of CPU usage, disk space/usage/ net traffic. It is currently being monitored but not logged.
  • Ability to customize reports and automate the e-mailing of those reports.
Read Jon Brantner's full review
December 11, 2020
Tracy Burton | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• The best thing about Scale is its simplicity. I used a VMWare solution for the past 5 years and never really felt like I had a grip on how to fully use it. I've had Scale in place for less than 6 months and am so confident in it, I feel as though I could almost train someone else on how to use it.
  • Scale's technical support is second to none. I've had a couple of issues with it and everyone I've spoken with is knowledgeable, friendly and eager to help resolve any issue.
  • With previous solutions, updating firmware is a large endeavor compared to Scale. Scale actually recommends doing it during production time instead of scheduling downtime during evenings or weekends. It makes managing everything easier without me having to come into work on my off time.
  • As with everything, I wish the price was a bit cheaper but by comparison to others but it's not bad when compared to similar solutions.
  • Not that it was needed in my case but the option to have a Scale engineer on site for setup might be nice for some instances.
  • The scheduling of the setup calls and training could be explained a little better and even possibly a quick overview of how to use the scheduling portion of the customer portal.
Read Tracy Burton's full review
Jon Rich | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Their tech support is very good, though I have only had to call a couple of times over the last five years for minor issues.
  • Their sales staff keeps in touch on a regular basis. Some vendors will only call for a sale and assume everything is fine if they aren't hearing from you.
  • The user interface is easy to learn, from creating and scheduling snapshots to creating virtual machines for running test scenarios.
  • Scale Computing HC3 has met all of our company's needs.
Read Jon Rich's full review
David Roden | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Scale's hyperconverged environment presents a single pool of resources that support our VMs. It intelligently handles decisions related to storage provisioning and load balancing across nodes.
  • Snapshots and replicas are created in a few clicks within a simple to use web interface. Gone are layers of settings found in some other products we've used.
  • The 'at-a-glance' dashboard tells me everything I need to know about the current status and utilization of the Scale cluster.
  • The ability to cut, copy, and paste into a console in a browser tab would be wonderful.
  • I appreciate the ability to click on the storage gauge on the dashboard and drill down into detail. Shouldn't that be available on every gauge?
  • The ability to schedule exports, restarts, etc from the management interface would be useful.
Read David Roden's full review
November 03, 2020
Jim Bittel | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Migration to Scale Computing HC3 is simple and straightforward.
  • Management of VMs has never been easier.
  • Backup and Disaster Recovery with Scale Computing HC3 is built in to the system.
  • Support, which is rarely needed, is knowledgeable and quick to respond. Average time to reach a live support technician is 17 seconds.
  • I'd like to see more accurate detailed documentation for alternative migration options for situations where using the Double-Take software isn't supported.
  • I'd like to see more realistic time estimates for setup and migration. Although the process is fairly straightforward, the initial setup and migration took considerably longer that the marketing suggested. Maybe they're using best-case scenario numbers. All things considered, not a huge deal, but I like to plan for worst-case so that I can set expectations.
Read Jim Bittel's full review
October 28, 2020
Rex Knepp | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• The Scale Computing HC3 system is so easy to maintain. We came from another virtual system and the difference in administration is huge. The time we save in maintaining this system allows us to spend more time on other network tasks.
  • We are using the snapshot feature as part of our DR plan. Here again, it is very easy to configure the snapshot plan and the way that Scale manages the snapshots does not require large amounts of additional storage.
  • When we installed the HC3 system, it took longer to mount the equipment in the rack and cable it then to have the system online. Management is very simple using their web-based interface.
  • One of the things we have to do is manage a group of virtual drives that are attached to our Windows servers. With growth, we find that we need to increase the size of some of these drives. The method used by the HC3 system is cumbersome. I will say that I believe that this has changed in the latest firmware upgrade we did, but I haven't had a need to try it since we did the upgrade recently.
Read Rex Knepp's full review
October 20, 2020
Wesley Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Simplicity is the number one priority for us. It's very simple to spin up a virtual machine and have it up and running quickly.
  • Customer support has been fantastic. When we have an issue, usually Scale contacts us before we even realize there is some sort of issue going on.
  • Setting up and installation has also been very simple. In the past, we tried traditional 3-2-1 virtual infrastructure but having storage, networking, and compute tied together has made it much easier for our IT department to be able to deploy new items in a timely manner.
  • There are times when the alerts can be a little vague if you don't contact customer support to get a clarification of what might be wrong.
  • I would like to see some integrated backup support at some time, and not have to use a third-party agent on each virtual machine.
Read Wesley Johnson's full review
October 07, 2020
Michael Rials | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• High availability is native, automatic, and requires no configuration.
  • Support provided by Scale Computing is top notch. I rarely contact them and when I do the phone calls last less than 10min with resolution and in the case of email support not only is there a quick response but they follow up to make sure everything is going well.
  • Scale’s HC3 product line removes all of the complex aspects of configuring storage and compute that exist in products like Citrix and VMWare at a much higher value. I don’t need engineers on staff to maintain it because it can be truly a set it and forget it configuration. This makes it a much more valuable option for small to midsize company and for large enterprises offers an enormous savings that can’t be ignored.
  • For me personally I’d like to learn more about the API call functionality to increase the hands off options an IT support team could have. (This is more just needing to learn the API’s.)
  • More features in virtual networking perhaps a virtual switching within the system as an option.
  • Hardware trade-in and upgrade path. (This may exist but just something that is starting to be a consideration for us.)
Read Michael Rials's full review
October 02, 2020
Anthony Martin | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Very easy to use; does not require specialized training.
  • The Disaster Recovery offering (Cloud Unity) works seamlessly.
  • Great customer service.
  • I would like to see continued integration with Microsoft-based networks/systems.
  • I would like to see a more comprehensive interface.
  • I would like to see the ability to create/publish reports and/or export system logs.
  • I would like to see independent file-level restore, in addition to volume-level restore.
  • I would like to see better/easier volume identification when cloning volumes and mounting to other VMs.
Read Anthony Martin's full review
October 02, 2020
Raymond Bilton | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Easy to learn and use user interface.
  • Personal one-on-one walk-through hardware installation.
  • Very personal training for our organization (which included recording for review later if we missed or forgot something) with a Scale expert.
  • Ability to use the USB storage devices (for transfer of large quantity of files on USB devices).
  • Ability to use multiple networks (such as a machine that needs access to the LAN and public internet using two different network cards).
Read Raymond Bilton's full review
Ryan Elsenheimer | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• The cluster uptime is exceptional.
  • Performance is very good.
  • There is a solid web based configuration interface.
  • Modern SSO Authentication with MFA.
  • VM Auto-start controls are missing.
Read Ryan Elsenheimer's full review
Greg Starnes | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Management. It is very easy to manage your environment through one pane of glass. You know the health of your hardware by just looking at the main page.
  • Support. Their support is all based here in the U.S. They are very timely to get to you, and they keep you informed throughout your issue.
  • Price. They are very well priced for what you get.
  • Compatibility. Some manufactures don't have products that will run on the KVM kernel.
Read Greg Starnes's full review
Jeffrey Place | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Scale Computing HC3 allows me to spin up a test environment in minutes, not hours.
  • With HC3, it is easy to clone a machine, take a snap shot or backup a system. Literally just a few clicks and you are done.
  • HC3 also provides peace of mind that if one-node goes down, the other can spin up easily without missing a beat.
  • In place upgrades of the interface is great, I don't have to have a maintenance window to do routing updates to the interface.
  • I have had very few issues with the HC3 system. It did have a glitch which would not allow me to upload files to the system using the Chrome browser but tech support helped me with a work-around.
  • I don't particularly like the way the web-site knowledge base is put together but I am getting used to it. Thankfully, I haven't needed to use it very much.
Read Jeffrey Place's full review
Zach Hightower | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• GUI - The interface is leagues above VMware and is very easy to use. It also supports OSX, which is something we value.
  • Ease of VM setup - Once you have the ISOs and drivers loaded, it takes almost no time to spin up a new virtual machine.
  • Overview and system alerts - Scale is excellent with providing a snapshot of your system resources as soon as you log in and also sends out timely emails to notify you when there are issues.
  • Load balancing - Sometimes when a drive goes out, the entire system has to go through a lengthy re-balancing process.
  • Firmware updates - Scale does a great job at improvements on their firmware, getting a swing-cluster to make those upgrades is difficult.
  • Support - Scale has amazing phone support and always has a knowledgeable tech available for critical issues. Smaller issues seem to get lost and it can be difficult to keep track of non-priority tickets.
Read Zach Hightower's full review
Josh Cope | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Ease of use - initial setup is very simple, and setting up and using virtual machines through their GUI is even simpler.
  • Customer Support - super fast response times, and very knowledgeable staff. I wish all support teams I deal with were as good as Scale.
  • Scaleability - adding new nodes is a breeze.
  • Difficult to resize virtual hard drives.
Read Josh Cope's full review
November 27, 2020
Greg Madden, CISSP | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Snapshotting - Scale is great at scheduled snapshots to add a layer of redundancy to any DR plan. it can also send snapshots to a remote scale system to act as a VM platform and a DR platform all at once
  • Cloning - If there is an issue with a machine, it is extremely easy to clone it and work on it outside of production
  • Ease of use - overall getting it set up required 2 or 3 command line commands and the nodes did all the work themselves. Uploading ISOs is easier in Scale than any other hypervisor I've ever used
  • Replication - We utilize a second set of nodes in our DR site that all core servers replicate to hourly. We have never had an issue with failed replications over a VPN
  • More support for importing VMs from XenCenter
  • I wish the main interface was more organized, I know the users can make it very organized by using tags and such, but by default, it is very chaotic
  • Better logs for admins to understand what is going on. The current logs don't let us know anything outside of knowing we need to contact support
  • The ability to expand drive size instead of requiring cloning
Read Greg Madden, CISSP's full review
November 27, 2020
Todd Naveau | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Backups. I love how I can create multiple scheduled backups for one machine so I can have hourly, daily, and weekly backups of our SQL and then can set lower backup schedule for something as simple and the Domain Controller to once a week.
  • Updates. Because we have multiple nodes, we can do the updates and the machines will auto load a balance so nothing has to be down while updating.
  • Speed. These units are fast, like bringing up a fresh install of Windows Server 2016 in 20 minutes. Including the install! I find myself duplicating machines all the time just to run small tests because creating a duplicate only takes like 1 minute.
  • I did notice when we were switching from our old servers to the HC3 that the importing process was not all that easy unless you were already running on a newer hypervisor.
Read Todd Naveau's full review
Richard Hardcastle | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Very easy implementation and migration.
  • Great support from Scale Computing.
  • A good path for expansion and growth.
  • Firmware is so simple, Scale technical support backs up our data, implements the updates and verifies all servers are operational.
  • I would like to see Scale allow a totally different snapshot scheduling for our offsite backups.
  • More training for end users to allow us to see potential issues.
Read Richard Hardcastle's full review
Thomas Martini | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• Performance increase over previous virtual environment
  • Easy setup and configuration
  • Easy migration from previous virtual environment
  • Support from Scale Computing was fantastic.
  • VLAN setup was a bit tricky due to our current LAN environment and limitations on the number of Scale network interface cards.
Read Thomas Martini's full review
Chris Nixon | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• As an appliance, it comes ready built and with all licenses included. No VMWare, no vCentre, no fiddly build steps
  • On site resilience is built in to the cluster - and it works; as does cross site replication for BCP/DR
  • Remote support and the pre tested upgrade facility are good and work - our outsourcers hate it as it doesn't need much outside a service desk call to have some Scale
  • Cross site VM migration is a feature on the roadmap we are looking forward to
  • When dealing with hundreds of VMs all needing the same change e.g. replication settings, being able to select those as a group or set would have been a good timesaver
  • Accessibility to external monitoring could be simpler - it takes a support call to turn it on. Whilst it is understandable that end users are kept away from the configs that make it work, some elements such as simple SNMP names and trap settings could be menu driven.
Read Chris Nixon's full review
November 24, 2020
Ryan Janzen | TrustRadius Reviewer

Pros and Cons

• The HC3 web console is user friendly and easy to use.
  • Implementation of the hardware and setup is fast and simple.
  • Scale support is easy to reach and keep in touch until all issues are resolved.
  • With HC3 v8.8 agent less backup works with ease
  • The web UI although it is very easy to use, I think could see benefit to perhaps almost an 'advanced' view, where you could get more detailed or granular options.
  • I think the procedure of importing of VM's from other architectures could be more fine tuned.
Read Ryan Janzen's full review

What is Scale Computing HC3?

Scale Computing offers edge computing, virtualization, and hyperconverged solutions for customers around the globe. Scale Computing HC3® software promises to eliminate traditional virtualization software, disaster recovery software, servers, and shared storage, replacing these with a fully integrated, highly available system for running applications. The vendor says that, using patented HyperCore™ technology, the HC3 self-healing platform automatically identifies, mitigates, and corrects problems in the infrastructure in real-time, enabling applications to achieve maximum uptime even when local IT resources and staff are scarce. The vendor says ease-of-use, high availability, and TCO are key differentiators. The product works for distributed enterprises, global retailers, and SMBs alike.

According to the vendor, key features and benefits include:

• Install in less than an hour
  • Deploy new VMs in minutes
  • Built-in Browser-based Management
  • Software-defined, hybrid storage system with automated tiering
  • Fully integrated, cluster-wide resource utilization and alerts
  • Single vendor support experience, no disparate systems to integrate
  • Integrated all-in-one appliance
  • Scale-out Architecture
  • Mix and match new nodes
  • Incremental resources improve performance of existing workloads
  • Fast and easy to expand, no downtime required
  • No additional licensing required
  • Start small and grow as your business grows
  • No forklift upgrades

Scale Computing HC3 Videos (4)

Watch HC3 Success Story - American Foundry Group

HC1250D$15,170Per Node
HC1250$9,665Per Node
HC1250DF$16,750Per Node
HC5250D$25,700Per Node

Pricing shown in U.S. Dollar. Pricing for other regions available on request.

Scale Computing HC3 Customer Size Distribution