TRUE
TRUE

Scale HC3 Review

December 18, 2020
We replaced our entire physical server environment for a virtual scale environment. It is more economical to maintain and grow than a …

Scale Review

December 01, 2020
We use it across the whole company. It is our virtual host for all of our servers. It also helps us manage such a large group of servers …

HC3 works for me!

November 30, 2020
As a one person IT shop the Scale HC3 system made it easy for me to manage storage and it reduced the number of physical servers I had to …

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Scale Computing Platform, and make your voice heard!

HC1200

$8,500

HC1250

$9,665

HC1250D

$15,170

Per Node

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.scalecomputing.com/document…

What is Scale Computing Platform?

Scale Computing offers edge computing, virtualization, and hyperconverged solutions for customers around the globe. Scale Computing HyperCore software promises to eliminate traditional virtualization software, disaster recovery software, servers, and shared storage, replacing these with a fully integrated, highly available system for running applications. The vendor says that, using patented HyperCore™ technology, the SC//HyperCore self-healing platform automatically identifies, mitigates, and corrects problems in the infrastructure in real-time, enabling applications to achieve maximum uptime even when local IT resources and staff are scarce. The vendor says ease-of-use, high availability, and TCO are key differentiators. The product works for distributed enterprises, global retailers, and SMBs alike.

According to the vendor, key features and benefits include:

• Install in less than an hour
  • Deploy new VMs in minutes
  • Built-in Browser-based Management
  • Software-defined, hybrid storage system with automated tiering
  • Fully integrated, cluster-wide resource utilization and alerts
  • Single vendor support experience, no disparate systems to integrate
  • Integrated all-in-one appliance
  • Scale-out Architecture
  • Mix and match new nodes
  • Incremental resources improve performance of existing workloads
  • Fast and easy to expand, no downtime required
  • No additional licensing required
  • Start small and grow as your business grows
  • No forklift upgrades

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Unix
Supported CountriesGlobally
Supported LanguagesEnglish

VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi, and Nutanix Cloud Infrastructure are common alternatives for Scale Computing Platform.

Reviewers rate Usability and Support Rating highest, with a score of 9.4.

The most common users of Scale Computing Platform are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Government Administration industry.

Judy L. Berglund | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Eliminates the need for separate storage, compute and networking.
  • Simplistic
  • Fully integrated right out of the box.
  • I do not see anything from a negative standpoint at this time, comprehensive product.
Tom Blazek | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Setting up and provisioning a new VM is super simple.
  • I come from a VMWare environment but the Scale UI is very easy to understand. I can imagine for someone new they would be able to learn the task of managing the cluster very easily.
  • Snapshots and clones are processed super fast.
  • I would like to be able to see actual disk availability instead of the raw number of TB.
  • The ability to copy and paste from your local machine to a VM seems like missing functionality, it is very useful to have.
  • I guess it's not a problem specifically with Scale, probably more with KVM and backup vendors but I really did enjoy having a backup system that worked across the whole hypervisor, it just simplified things a lot.
  • I would like to see the breakdown of the VMs and the amount of RAM they are consuming changed a bit. If its a VM with less than 6 GB it doesn't show on the dashboard. Maybe if it was a pie chart it would be easier? Not sure but just something different would be nice so you could see all the VMs.
December 18, 2020

Scale HC3 Review

Jon Brantner | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Centralized server management
  • Quick visibility of the health of the server environment. It provides tools to provide a quick glance at the infrastructure
  • Increased backup/redundancy of data without additional products or implementations
  • More server statistics in the environment window
  • History of CPU usage, disk space/usage/ net traffic. It is currently being monitored but not logged.
  • Ability to customize reports and automate the e-mailing of those reports.
Tracy Burton | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • The best thing about Scale is its simplicity. I used a VMWare solution for the past 5 years and never really felt like I had a grip on how to fully use it. I've had Scale in place for less than 6 months and am so confident in it, I feel as though I could almost train someone else on how to use it.
  • Scale's technical support is second to none. I've had a couple of issues with it and everyone I've spoken with is knowledgeable, friendly and eager to help resolve any issue.
  • With previous solutions, updating firmware is a large endeavor compared to Scale. Scale actually recommends doing it during production time instead of scheduling downtime during evenings or weekends. It makes managing everything easier without me having to come into work on my off time.
  • As with everything, I wish the price was a bit cheaper but by comparison to others but it's not bad when compared to similar solutions.
  • Not that it was needed in my case but the option to have a Scale engineer on site for setup might be nice for some instances.
  • The scheduling of the setup calls and training could be explained a little better and even possibly a quick overview of how to use the scheduling portion of the customer portal.
December 01, 2020

Scale Review

Greg Starnes | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Management. It is very easy to manage your environment through one pane of glass. You know the health of your hardware by just looking at the main page.
  • Support. Their support is all based here in the U.S. They are very timely to get to you, and they keep you informed throughout your issue.
  • Price. They are very well priced for what you get.
  • Compatibility. Some manufactures don't have products that will run on the KVM kernel.
  • Scale Computing HC3 allows me to spin up a test environment in minutes, not hours.
  • With HC3, it is easy to clone a machine, take a snap shot or backup a system. Literally just a few clicks and you are done.
  • HC3 also provides peace of mind that if one-node goes down, the other can spin up easily without missing a beat.
  • In place upgrades of the interface is great, I don't have to have a maintenance window to do routing updates to the interface.
  • I have had very few issues with the HC3 system. It did have a glitch which would not allow me to upload files to the system using the Chrome browser but tech support helped me with a work-around.
  • I don't particularly like the way the web-site knowledge base is put together but I am getting used to it. Thankfully, I haven't needed to use it very much.
November 30, 2020

HC3 works for me!

• Their tech support is very good, though I have only had to call a couple of times over the last five years for minor issues.
  • Their sales staff keeps in touch on a regular basis. Some vendors will only call for a sale and assume everything is fine if they aren't hearing from you.
  • The user interface is easy to learn, from creating and scheduling snapshots to creating virtual machines for running test scenarios.
  • Scale Computing HC3 has met all of our company's needs.
  • GUI - The interface is leagues above VMware and is very easy to use. It also supports OSX, which is something we value.
  • Ease of VM setup - Once you have the ISOs and drivers loaded, it takes almost no time to spin up a new virtual machine.
  • Overview and system alerts - Scale is excellent with providing a snapshot of your system resources as soon as you log in and also sends out timely emails to notify you when there are issues.
  • Load balancing - Sometimes when a drive goes out, the entire system has to go through a lengthy re-balancing process.
  • Firmware updates - Scale does a great job at improvements on their firmware, getting a swing-cluster to make those upgrades is difficult.
  • Support - Scale has amazing phone support and always has a knowledgeable tech available for critical issues. Smaller issues seem to get lost and it can be difficult to keep track of non-priority tickets.
  • Ease of use - initial setup is very simple, and setting up and using virtual machines through their GUI is even simpler.
  • Customer Support - super fast response times, and very knowledgeable staff. I wish all support teams I deal with were as good as Scale.
  • Scaleability - adding new nodes is a breeze.
  • Difficult to resize virtual hard drives.
Greg Madden, CISSP | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Snapshotting - Scale is great at scheduled snapshots to add a layer of redundancy to any DR plan. it can also send snapshots to a remote scale system to act as a VM platform and a DR platform all at once
  • Cloning - If there is an issue with a machine, it is extremely easy to clone it and work on it outside of production
  • Ease of use - overall getting it set up required 2 or 3 command line commands and the nodes did all the work themselves. Uploading ISOs is easier in Scale than any other hypervisor I've ever used
  • Replication - We utilize a second set of nodes in our DR site that all core servers replicate to hourly. We have never had an issue with failed replications over a VPN
  • More support for importing VMs from XenCenter
  • I wish the main interface was more organized, I know the users can make it very organized by using tags and such, but by default, it is very chaotic
  • Better logs for admins to understand what is going on. The current logs don't let us know anything outside of knowing we need to contact support
  • The ability to expand drive size instead of requiring cloning
  • Backups. I love how I can create multiple scheduled backups for one machine so I can have hourly, daily, and weekly backups of our SQL and then can set lower backup schedule for something as simple and the Domain Controller to once a week.
  • Updates. Because we have multiple nodes, we can do the updates and the machines will auto load a balance so nothing has to be down while updating.
  • Speed. These units are fast, like bringing up a fresh install of Windows Server 2016 in 20 minutes. Including the install! I find myself duplicating machines all the time just to run small tests because creating a duplicate only takes like 1 minute.
  • I did notice when we were switching from our old servers to the HC3 that the importing process was not all that easy unless you were already running on a newer hypervisor.
November 25, 2020

Scale HC3 review

• Very easy implementation and migration.
  • Great support from Scale Computing.
  • A good path for expansion and growth.
  • Firmware is so simple, Scale technical support backs up our data, implements the updates and verifies all servers are operational.
  • I would like to see Scale allow a totally different snapshot scheduling for our offsite backups.
  • More training for end users to allow us to see potential issues.
  • Hardware and software support.
  • Simple user interface.
  • Rapid deployment and resource allocation.
  • Remote console is lacking in features.
  • Integration with more partners, such as Veeam.
  • No reporting.
  • HDD storage always reflects maximum usage, not current usage.
  • Sort and filter logs.
Thomas Martini | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Performance increase over previous virtual environment
  • Easy setup and configuration
  • Easy migration from previous virtual environment
  • Support from Scale Computing was fantastic.
  • VLAN setup was a bit tricky due to our current LAN environment and limitations on the number of Scale network interface cards.
David Roden | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Scale's hyperconverged environment presents a single pool of resources that support our VMs. It intelligently handles decisions related to storage provisioning and load balancing across nodes.
  • Snapshots and replicas are created in a few clicks within a simple to use web interface. Gone are layers of settings found in some other products we've used.
  • The 'at-a-glance' dashboard tells me everything I need to know about the current status and utilization of the Scale cluster.
  • The ability to cut, copy, and paste into a console in a browser tab would be wonderful.
  • I appreciate the ability to click on the storage gauge on the dashboard and drill down into detail. Shouldn't that be available on every gauge?
  • The ability to schedule exports, restarts, etc from the management interface would be useful.
Chris Nixon | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • As an appliance, it comes ready built and with all licenses included. No VMWare, no vCentre, no fiddly build steps
  • On site resilience is built in to the cluster - and it works; as does cross site replication for BCP/DR
  • Remote support and the pre tested upgrade facility are good and work - our outsourcers hate it as it doesn't need much outside a service desk call to have some Scale
  • Cross site VM migration is a feature on the roadmap we are looking forward to
  • When dealing with hundreds of VMs all needing the same change e.g. replication settings, being able to select those as a group or set would have been a good timesaver
  • Accessibility to external monitoring could be simpler - it takes a support call to turn it on. Whilst it is understandable that end users are kept away from the configs that make it work, some elements such as simple SNMP names and trap settings could be menu driven.
  • Setup is easy and quick, from unboxing to live integration in your environment.
  • Very easy to manage, one console to view with all information at your fingertips.
  • Support is responsive and great!
  • So far, we can't say there are cons, this solution is on par with what we needed and what we expected.