Scale Computing HC3 Reviews

Do you work for this company?

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Brandon L profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Incredibly simple deployment and cloning of VM's. Makes managing a very high-tech architecture simple.
  • Auto negotiates SSD disk usage based on requirements and prioritization, maximizing utilization of the faster I/O for disks that need it.
  • Customer Service is great. I think everyone says this (and it was preached to us before and during the sales process) but they really have been great.
  • Simple, simple, simple. We kept asking ourselves "Is it really this easy". Some people need more advanced and complicated feature sets, but for us "simplicity that performs at a high level" is very important for our small IT dept. Managing is a 30mins per week job vs 20 hrs.
  • Offsite backup configuration options are lacking. There is room for improvement here. Full replication to another HC3 is easy, but customized snapshot and full VM export is lacking. We are confident this will be addressed.
Read Brandon L's full review
Jeremy Robinson profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Scale offers a great dashboard for viewing VM details.
  • Installation of clusters is much simpler than other VM platforms.
  • Console view of VMs is in web browser and clientless, which makes administration from any machine simpler.
  • I would like to see the ability to mount snapshot points in time rather than having to clone a full machine in order to access older data. I believe this is being released in the latest version, but we had a difficult time restoring data without creating a Linux machine and mounting a disk.
  • Import and export of VMs isn't as easy as other platforms. Third party tools had to be used to import VMs. Exporting VMs would require the same time and expense.
  • I would like to see more access to back end disk data rather than relying on support. I know Scale is targeted to shops with smaller IT departments and the support is great, but I had to go through support in order to get a disk list on the cluster when I could have just done that myself.
Read Jeremy Robinson's full review
Durgesh Kalya profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Simple solution to managing storage, virtualization and snapshots on one page with not more than 3 clicks
  • Excellent technical support with support built into the suite for quick access when required by the Scale Computing Technicians.
  • High performance out of the Flash and Spinning Disks through HyperCore Enhanced Automated Tiering (HEAT)
  • High availability feature helps in ensuring that there is no single point of failure
  • Enhanced Networking Stack for implementing more complex networking architectures. The current networking piece that is built in is very advanced but more customization and options would help with better implementation of the solution.
  • Snapshots are flawless and effortless, however I would like to see more integration for Backup on to the cloud similar to the other virtualization provider.
Read Durgesh Kalya's full review
Tracy Burton profile photo

Pros and Cons

• The best thing about Scale is its simplicity. I used a VMWare solution for the past 5 years and never really felt like I had a grip on how to fully use it. I've had Scale in place for less than 6 months and am so confident in it, I feel as though I could almost train someone else on how to use it.
  • Scale's technical support is second to none. I've had a couple of issues with it and everyone I've spoken with is knowledgeable, friendly and eager to help resolve any issue.
  • With previous solutions, updating firmware is a large endeavor compared to Scale. Scale actually recommends doing it during production time instead of scheduling downtime during evenings or weekends. It makes managing everything easier without me having to come into work on my off time.
  • As with everything, I wish the price was a bit cheaper but by comparison to others but it's not bad when compared to similar solutions.
  • Not that it was needed in my case but the option to have a Scale engineer on site for setup might be nice for some instances.
  • The scheduling of the setup calls and training could be explained a little better and even possibly a quick overview of how to use the scheduling portion of the customer portal.
Read Tracy Burton's full review
Kyle Legg profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Simplicity - Scale HC3 takes the guesswork and time investment out of managing a virtualized server environment and you don't need to go to expensive classes to become an expert.
  • Performance has been stellar and reliability is unmatched. Our Scale nodes have been up and online since installation three years ago.
  • The support staff is there to help if you ever need it and they'll look into your system at any time to make sure everything is running as designed.
  • The virtualized environment is robust and scale-able and there's no need to do a server refresh ever again. If a node fails, the VMs migrate over to another node and no one except the IT staff knows about it. You can keep your old nodes in place until the disks fall out of them and you'll be covered.
  • It would be nice if we could add a storage only node with very little or no processing power. This would be nice because we wouldn't have to acquire server CALs every time we add storage.
Read Kyle Legg's full review
Dominique Joseph Chung profile photo

Pros and Cons

• One point of contact for everything infrastructure, namely storage, compute and hypervisor.
  • Updates can be applied with very little downtime if any, and no longer needs weeks/months of preparation.
  • Recovering data is as easy as booting up snapshots, which we are now using as a backup tool.
  • Can't wait to roll out Scale Computing at our disaster recovery site for painless failover and failback.
  • Wish there was flash drive when we purchased it, but they have it now, and actually have a retrofit for our existing units which we will consider implementing shortly.
Read Dominique Joseph Chung's full review
David Roden profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Scale's hyperconverged environment presents a single pool of resources that support our VMs. It intelligently handles decisions related to storage provisioning and load balancing across nodes.
  • Snapshots and replicas are created in a few clicks within a simple to use web interface. Gone are layers of settings found in some other products we've used.
  • The 'at-a-glance' dashboard tells me everything I need to know about the current status and utilization of the Scale cluster.
  • The ability to cut, copy, and paste into a console in a browser tab would be wonderful.
  • I appreciate the ability to click on the storage gauge on the dashboard and drill down into detail. Shouldn't that be available on every gauge?
  • The ability to schedule exports, restarts, etc from the management interface would be useful.
Read David Roden's full review
Marshall Curtis profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Simplified management. Management of the cluster is via a single web interface, it is simple and does not require extensive training to navigate or operate making it accessible to mid-level staff.
  • The flexibility of the hardware mix within a cluster. Allowing a variety of hardware levels and ages within a cluster and the system's ability to assigned loads to best leverage this mix of hardware allows us to manage cost by not "over buying" hardware capacity to meet a few high demand workloads.
  • Support by Scale. We have had few needs to contact support which is the first plus, but secondly, when we have had needs or questions responses have been prompt and accurate with first contact resolution.
  • The tools for migrating to the HC3 platform have a few issues and caused issues with some security keys and certificates. After a couple issues we ended up migrating key servers by using a fresh build and migrating data with was more disruptive but more successful.
Read Marshall Curtis's full review
Chris Waddilove profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Snapshots - CoW makes things very quick and painless.
  • Replication to another cluster - Painlessly simple and reliable.
  • Replication to the cloud - Similarly simple with added peace of mind.
  • Ease of use - Even for someone highly technical, it is nice to "take a break" from the crazy options of VMWare and others to just have a basic-controlled hypervisor.
  • Cost - While I understand support/maintenance makes up a large part of it, the cost for expanding RAM, for example, in an existing cluster is several times more than if you were maintaining hardware yourself.
  • Licensing (Microsoft) - Could use assistance from Scale in determining/calculating the best Microsoft license layout (how many cores? how many CPUs? datacenter vs standard?).
  • USB - While not a complete necessity, it would be nice to have a feature to map a USB port/device to a virtual machine. The hardware itself has several USB ports but none are really usable. Digi USB Anywhere worked well for our case, but still, it would be nice to do the odd data dump/backup/restore via USB drive (ex. really old project reference from the 1990s stored on external USB).
Read Chris Waddilove's full review
Jeff Miller profile photo

• Redundancy
  • Simple interface
  • 24/7/365 support (onshore)
  • Relatively inexpensive compared to VMware/SAN solutions.
  • Needs a much more robust multi-site management suite
  • Hardware choices need to be expanded. I know they are working on this actively.
  • More detailed backup instructions. The interface is too simple.
Read Jeff Miller's full review
Mark Simmons profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Customer Support - A level of service that all vendors should strive to reach. Their customer service is equally fast and reliable as the product. In the two years of having the HC3, we experienced one hard drive failure. The support team was assisting us within minutes, had the drive replaced in less than 24 hours, and had our node fully functional with no disruption in service nor any data loss.
  • Migration - One of the quickest and easiest among all VM solutions. Older Windows operating systems had compatibility issues, but all servers running Windows Server 2003 and higher migrated within minutes with two simply clicks.
  • Reliability - The HC3 manages to work seamlessly in real-time with no indication from the end user during maintenance, recovery, or making changes to the VMs. In two years, we have had only one hard drive issue and no software issues.
  • Simplicity - The HC3 has the best of both worlds. It's simpler than the free Hyper-V and includes most tools one needs within VMware, yet the installation, operation, and recovery is leaps and bounds easier to manipulate.
  • The only negative is the maintenance support costs. What a dilemma Scale has as they produced a robust and reliable product yet the support costs for a 3 node system is almost $6000. After paying this for 2 years and only having one hard drive failure, I have spent $12,000 on one support ticket and three software updates. It defeats the maintenance cost savings.
Read Mark Simmons's full review
David Boyer profile photo

Pros and Cons

• "Single pane of glass" management is fantastic. So it is easy to make changes to compute and storage settings.
  • System Reliability: the system has been completely reliable. Ran flawlessly when a disk was lost. Replacing the disk was easy and rebuilt without any issues. Upgrading versions was easy and without issues.
  • Support: has been exceptional. Very easy and fast to reach and helpful with every question or concern that we've asked them.
  • Migration from our old servers went flawlessly. The third party vendor that installed and migrated us did an excellent job.
  • Built-in secure remote ability that I can enable or disable is awesome.
  • Reducing storage space is a bot more involved than any other processes but I've never had to do that.
Read David Boyer's full review
Todd Naveau profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Backups. I love how I can create multiple scheduled backups for one machine so I can have hourly, daily, and weekly backups of our SQL and then can set lower backup schedule for something as simple and the Domain Controller to once a week.
  • Updates. Because we have multiple nodes, we can do the updates and the machines will auto load a balance so nothing has to be down while updating.
  • Speed. These units are fast, like bringing up a fresh install of Windows Server 2016 in 20 minutes. Including the install! I find myself duplicating machines all the time just to run small tests because creating a duplicate only takes like 1 minute.
  • I did notice when we were switching from our old servers to the HC3 that the importing process was not all that easy unless you were already running on a newer hypervisor.
Read Todd Naveau's full review
Jeffrey Wright profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Spin up of new resources is a breeze, at a fraction of the cost of other VM Host Systems.
  • It has allowed us to move older systems into VM and has extended the life of older software suites that require older operating systems, mitigating and extending the life of legacy code.
  • Updates run smoothly, even when VMs are running, again HC3 keeps us running.
  • I would say, that importing systems from hardware to VM could use a boost in functionality, sometimes a system needs to be moved fast before the hardware it's currently running dies. Although I have just a little experience with this type of conversion, I think it could improve.
  • I have noticed a discrepancy between what the HC3 interface shows as the drive usage is and what the OS in the VM reports.
Read Jeffrey Wright's full review
Mike Maner profile photo

Pros and Cons

• The initial install was simple and straight forward, we purchased setup support but didn't need to use it.
  • Virtual machine setup is fast and easy.
  • The ability to store ISOs for new virtual machine installs is a great time-saving device.
  • The need for backups of virtual machines is satisfied with the built-in redundancy.
  • The firmware update process requires a complete restart if the system. The ability to schedule upgrades would be great.
  • The UI is a bit cumbersome, using icons instead of labels is not SOP but it works.
Read Mike Maner's full review
Bronn Salmon profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Eliminates the need for a dedicated storage engineer or long planning sessions to lay out drives to get the best performance. E3 does a great job on its own deciding how best to use the drives available to it.
  • Reduces the number of management consoles I have to look at daily.
  • Simplifies the management of my virtual environment.
  • Creates a simplified environment for me to create a sandbox environment for testing in minutes, not hours or days.
  • Needs to be a better dashboard for performance.
  • Would like to be able to color code my different groups.
Read Bronn Salmon's full review
Chris Selby profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Ease of deployment and ease of administration. With limited IT staff we are able to react to changes quickly and from almost anywhere.
  • Built-in replication. This allows us to implement backup and disaster recovery for significantly less money and administration overhead.
  • Excellent performance. We are able to satisfy our SLA's without a large IT team.
  • No GPU support. Some of our users are going to need GPU support for their virtual desktops. Without GPU's it will require significant CPU horsepower to make up for it.
  • Redistribution of workloads between HC3 nodes. This is a higher end feature but would be nice in the event there was some sort of issue with a virtual machine needing resources that were available on another node.
  • Overall network performance metrics in the dashboard. Hard to know if you are having network saturation issues as you cannot see cumulative network stats per node. Actually, individual hardware performance statistics per node in the dashboard would be a welcome addition.
Read Chris Selby's full review
Richard Barrie profile photo

Pros and Cons

• Speed of new machine deployment: using prebuilt stored clones we can deploy servers virtually within seconds and have them doing their jobs.
  • Redundancy: our DR is simplified and allowed above the 99.9999% uptime we all strive for.
  • Support: immediate support, remotely built into the OS with a very fast turnaround for any problems.
  • The GUI is very limited in its end-user scope, many times we have had minor problems that we could have fixed ourselves but needed Scale to access the system remotely to fix or advise.
  • Parts needed to come quickly, but the company is U.S. based mostly. Having more parts in UK would mean an even faster turn around.
  • When there have been more advanced problems, the GUI and reporting is quite limited. More info could be given to the end user if there was the ability to do so.
Read Richard Barrie's full review
Chris Nixon profile photo

Pros and Cons

• As an appliance, it comes ready built and with all licenses included. No VMWare, no vCentre, no fiddly build steps
  • On site resilience is built in to the cluster - and it works; as does cross site replication for BCP/DR
  • Remote support and the pre tested upgrade facility are good and work - our outsourcers hate it as it doesn't need much outside a service desk call to have some Scale
  • Cross site VM migration is a feature on the roadmap we are looking forward to
  • When dealing with hundreds of VMs all needing the same change e.g. replication settings, being able to select those as a group or set would have been a good timesaver
  • Accessibility to external monitoring could be simpler - it takes a support call to turn it on. Whilst it is understandable that end users are kept away from the configs that make it work, some elements such as simple SNMP names and trap settings could be menu driven.
Read Chris Nixon's full review
Caswell Allen profile photo

Pros and Cons

• It is easily deployed -- it comes pre-configured as a cluster and fits into your pre-configured network seamlessly.
  • All hardware is included -- What is required is sent with the purchase, and the installation is fairly straight-forward.
  • Staff Knowledge -- The technical staff knows their product, and are extremely great to work with. It's a great Company to do business with.
  • Maintenance -- Zero downtime during maintenance (Cluster configuration is perfect).
  • None -- It's perfect as is, don't change anything.
Read Caswell Allen's full review
Kelly Mumm profile photo
March 08, 2019

Dumped Xen for Scale

• Scale is easy to use.
  • Scale has a single web-based interface that allows you to manage all the operations of your VM.
  • Tech support at Scale is responsive and very knowledgeable.
  • Some of the advanced features of the KVM Hyper-visor are not available.
  • Memory overcommit would be nice.
  • The console for the VMs is very basic. I.E. no copy/paste
Read Kelly Mumm's full review

About Scale Computing HC3

Scale Computing offers edge computing, virtualization, and hyperconverged solutions for customers around the globe. Scale Computing HC3® software promises to eliminate traditional virtualization software, disaster recovery software, servers, and shared storage, replacing these with a fully integrated, highly available system for running applications. The vendor says that, using patented HyperCore™ technology, the HC3 self-healing platform automatically identifies, mitigates, and corrects problems in the infrastructure in real-time, enabling applications to achieve maximum uptime even when local IT resources and staff are scarce. The vendor says ease-of-use, high availability, and TCO are key differentiators. The product works for distributed enterprises, global retailers, and SMBs alike.

According to the vendor, key features and benefits include:

• Install in less than an hour
  • Deploy new VMs in minutes
  • Built-in Browser-based Management
  • Software-defined, hybrid storage system with automated tiering
  • Fully integrated, cluster-wide resource utilization and alerts
  • Single vendor support experience, no disparate systems to integrate
  • Integrated all-in-one appliance
  • Scale-out Architecture
  • Mix and match new nodes
  • Incremental resources improve performance of existing workloads
  • Fast and easy to expand, no downtime required
  • No additional licensing required
  • Start small and grow as your business grows
  • No forklift upgrades

Scale Computing HC3 Features

Has featureSimplicity
Has featureHigh Availability
Has featureScalability

Scale Computing HC3 Integrations

Leostream, Cloud Unity - Google

Scale Computing HC3 Competitors

VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi, Nutanix, Hyper-V, HPE SimpliVity (formerly OmniCube)

Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No
HC12008,500Per Node
HC1250D15,170Per Node
HC12509,665Per Node
HC1250DF16,750Per Node
HC5250D25,700Per Node

Pricing shown in U.S. Dollar. Pricing for other regions available on request.

Scale Computing HC3 Customer Size Distribution