- The ability to integrate Google Drive assignments is wonderful. Adding Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides are very helpful for presentations within the Schoology framework for both students and teachers. Being able to enter assignments in multiple ways and types enhance the learning of the students.
- The fact that Schoology is so user-friendly is great for both teachers and students to easily acquire the skills to be successful in it. Schoology allows for both collaborations with team members that may not always have the same planning periods and with students. Students are able to contribute and collaborate across class periods into large projects within Schoology.
- Feedback - it is wonderful that as I grade assignments in Schoology it allows me to give students feedback which is huge that cannot happen as quickly in any other way. I can easily insert a link in my feedback to assist a struggling student or perhaps just to assist a student that needs a little extra help. The ability for students to resubmit an assignment is also easily performed by the students and can be quickly graded by teachers.
- The test banks in the personal resources need to be more functional. The ability to be able to create folders for a course and insert multiple test banks within that folder for different units of the same course would be more efficient. Being able to add colors to different folders would also make it easier to identify which course teachers were looking for and separate test and quizzes from the unit and final exams. It would be nice if the tracking of the test banks could be turned on and off so that graphs, charts, political cartoons, and other images could be changed without the need to necessarily change the question. For example, using red for US History, blue for World History, green for Economics, black for Government then within each folder quizzes could be orange, unit exams could be yellow, and finals exams could be purple under each course, or whatever color made sense to the teacher.
- The graphing capabilities in assessments need to be more functional outside of math. It would be nice if geography students could create population graphs that would include inverted x and y-axis charts to the left of a regular x and y-axis chart with the ability to add age ranges in between them and then have bar graphs going both directions. Economic students need to be able to create dot line charts that curve to demonstrate supply, demand, and equilibrium charts. These also need both the x and y-axis so that price and quantity can be included. Bar graphs need to be able to have multiple bars in groupings so that students can compare the different measurements of GDP across multiple countries. Graphing isn't only for math.
- Schoology will respond pretty quickly to support request.
- Schoology also integrates with Infinite Campus and Google Drive. There are still bugs to fix, but the process is on-going.
- Schoology needs to improve on support. Although they are quick to respond, I have come across some of their support team who have not had a supportive mindset.
- Schoology needs to improve on the integration with Google. This might not be Schoology's issue, though.
- Schoology has a place to store resources, but it is just templates. You cannot create specific assignments or assessments in the resources area and they transfer over. This would be a great feature if they could fix this.
- Gradebook — provides a detailed breakdown of student grades, viewable by class or by the individual student.
- Integration with other services — Schoology makes a priority to integrate with other common teaching tools (such as EduCanon, TurnItIn, YouTube, Google Drive, and OneDrive).
- Assignment Distribution and Collection — Schoology allows instructors to distribute and collect assignments digitally, removing the "dog ate my homework" excuse from students. In conjunction with Google Drive / Doc integration, distributing assignments is made easy.
- Some functionality blocked by paywall — Schoology offers two levels, Basic and Premium. Basic is available to anyone for free, allowing access to all of the core functionality (building Courses, assignments, gradebooks, etc). Premium offers additional services at an organization-wide level with a subscription.
- Slow Updates / Upgrades for Free Users — While Schoology has rolled out several great features for Premium users (such as the more advanced "Assessments" assignment mode), free users rarely see any earth-shattering upgrades.
- Clunky Assignment Creation Utilities — Creating assignments can be cumbersome at times; the assignment creation interface allows basic word processing or HTML options. Unfortunately, this can cause some issues when trying to format text or import objects into the assignment pages. For example, text may not change colors, font sizes, or styles despite selecting new text options. Formatting can slightly change after creating the assignment.
Schoology is also best suited for secondary education purposes (8-12 grade) and higher education, as much of the social interaction and assessment functionality may be difficult for younger students to utilize and/or navigate. However, primary education instructors may find Schoology to be beneficial for digital record keeping, tracking grades, and parent/teacher communications.
For the first four years of my teaching career I taught at schools that were not digital. Because I had little experience using technology, I was nervous when I was hired into a school district that was 100% digital with a 1:1 device to student ratio. Schoology was a completely foreign word to me when it was brought up at our new teacher training sessions. It’s hard to believe that only one year later I’m teaching Schoology to other educators in my district.
I quickly realized that Schoology was not going to be an extra hassle to deal with in my class, but a lifesaver instead. It was an incredible way to keep my my resources organized in one location where I didn’t have to waste time searching for them. It was also the perfect home site for my students who immediately logged into Schoology each morning where they could find all of their assignments and materials for the entire day. Color-coated folders and the ability to add photos to courses made our journey even easier.
As a past user of both Microsoft and Google classrooms, I wouldn’t trade Schoology for either of them. I have never used another platform that combines so many different capabilities into one location. Its user-friendly design and variety of functionalities makes it the perfect LMS for any digital teacher.
- Schoology promotes classroom community through discussions and other collaborative features.
- Schoology makes it easy for educators to share resources with each other.
- Schoology promotes student choice by giving the ability to post a number of different activities and assessments.
- I would like to see Schoology add an area for students to create freely and submit work to the teacher that has not been assigned.
This addresses many business "problems" -- by engaging in one program, district wide, for communicating with and teaching students, we are able to better reach our students and their individual needs.
- User-Friendly: Schoology is easy to navigate for both teachers, administration, and students. This is important because this helps users get the most out of their Schoology experience without running into frustrating mishaps.
- Several Features: Schoology is multi-faceted. Teachers can assign tests and assignments, as well as post class updates, polls, and videos. Students are able to be enrolled in several classes at once so they have one spot as reference for all of their classes
- Differentiated Instruction: Teachers are able to individually assign assignments and tests to students/classes, making differentiated instruction easy.
- The prime version of Schoology has some kinks that could be worked out with linking to a Gradebook - the grades do not always transfer over, and in the event a teacher changes them, you have to manually enter the grade in the gradebook.
- Schoology Update font options - It would be great to be able to highlight and change the color of fonts right in the Schoology update menu
- Schoology allows me to create assignments within a folder, assign them to students, and give feedback on their work. No more, "The teacher lost my assignment."
- Schoology allows me to develop effective assessments that rely on a variety of questioning levels, attach learning objectives to each question to give students purpose, and give fast feedback.
- Schoology allows me to track student progress by standards or traditional grading scales, allowing for complete flexibility.
- While Schoology has added the ability to load assignments from Google Drive to Schoology when creating assignments, it is unusable on iPads. This has been frustrating, but is easily worked around.
- Initially, the assessments were a bit hard to navigate, especially when trying to set submission parameters, but if you have done it once, it's actually quite easy.
- There are occasional glitches in giving student feedback where your comments are not visible to students, but this has become less of an issue with the update.
- Great interface, easy to use.
- Parent access code allows parents to monitor their children's learning.
- Notifications of resubmitted work is the most useful.
- Some of my students have difficulty signing in because Schoology linked them to a formal foreign language class. I found a workaround.
- My students love emailing me via Schoology.
- Before, homework wasn't something to look forward to but now my kids ask me to assign them homework on Schoology.
- Schoology has made grading so much easier.
- I love the rubrics provided by Schoology.
- My students ' parents are always updated about homework, upcoming events, newsletters, pictures, and videos via parent folder on Schoology.
- I would love Schoology and YouTube to talk to each other. My kids are unable to watch a video on Schoology via YouTube in school. I know the school district blocks it but there has to be a way out.
- Please work on the students' usernames. They are too long!
- I would like Schoology to have avatars like Class Dojo, instead of badges. I know the kids would love that. 😊🙂
- Posting Assignments
- Grading Assignments
- Using Schoology Rubrics to grade
- Time management for students as it shows due dates and upcoming assignments in order by date
- It is hard to find a student by name
- The loading takes a very long time when grading submitted papers
- The formatting of Word documents is messed up when using the viewing feature. I always have to download the paper to view the formatting correctly
- I enjoy that it has an app so my students can securely message me and it reaches my phone instantly.
- I can keep my home bound/ sick students up to date on what we are doing in class.
- The test bank function cuts down on the amount of cheating during a test because students will never have the same questions in the same order.
- I can create interactive and differentiated assignments to reach students at all levels.
- I love that Schoology grades my assessments for me and then puts the grade in my gradebook for me saving me tons of time.
- I would like to be able to upload videos that I have made on my computer instead of putting my videos on YouTube and linking them on Schoology.
- I would like the ability for students to graph equations on assessments.
- It does scheduled posts and assignments really well.
- It links to our Google Drive seamlessly.
- It connects to our LMS very well, which makes grading very easy to do.
- The interface on the iPad/iOS app could be smoother.
- The connection to Google Drive could be more user-friendly.
- The streamlined grading system that tracks assignments and standards mastery -- this is the most intuitive, organized grading system I have ever used.
- Engaging student and staff discussions -- students and staff jump right in due to the ease of use -- and they are easy to grade!
- App integration -- it is easy to incorporate the G Suite and other applications.
- Chat -- we wish Schoology could have a chat program like Facebook.
- School-level control -- we wish we could push out a grading scale to all teachers automatically for organization.
- Can build assessments to provide instant feedback for students, and greatly assist the grading process
- Schoology gradebook can be synced to an outside gradebook for easy transfer
- Allows the sharing of documents, including Google Docs, so a paperless classroom is possible
- Keeps a running record of daily posts for students who are absent
- Issues with "resubmitted" assignments. It is not easy to see what has been resubmitted or to clear those submissions from your "to-do" list
- The grade book is easy to use and share with parents as well as students.
- Schoology integrates with our SIS, for grades, using Clever.
- Support via chat enables us to get a quick response.
- Some of the feature requests remain unresolved.
- We would like to be able to download attendance so we can integrate it in our SIS.
- Easily organizes materials for students and teachers with the ability to reuse those materials from year to year without recreating them!
- Easily allows my students to work at their own pace without a lot of work on my end to differentiate instruction!
- Creates a learning hub where all of their materials are distributed as well as submitted (if you decide to go paperless)
- While Schoology currently integrates Khan academy videos into their platform they do not have that option for Khan academy activities/assignments
- Syncing issues with powerschool gradesbook - sometimes it is inconsistent as to whether it is automatic or if I need to sync the grades manually
- Departments can build units/lessons/resources together in group resources. This keeps curriculum consistent amongst teachers and buildings.
- Students have a consistent layout from teacher to teacher, and because we have the enterprise version that integrates with PowerSchool, their courses are created automatically.
- Teachers can use this platform for professional development courses.
- Still waiting for the Assessments feature to be completed - it's sort of in "beta" right now, which can be frustrating.
- Teachers have stated they would like auto-save to happen within the platform so answers do not get lost.
- Has a great integration with Google Drive, but the Google Drive Assignments feature (new feature) is a little disjointed. It works pretty well, though!
- Listen to users.
- Provide consistent access.
- Streamline the process of sharing resources for teachers.
- Increased interactivity in the assignments.
- Improve the reporting of data following assessments.
- Improve question types in assessments.
- Organization for students & teachers
- Teacher can provide valuable feedback to students
- Grading takes less time on Schoology
- The assessment platform isn’t truly user friendly. It lacks meaningful data.
- Schoology does an amazing job of keeping students organized. No more lost assignments. No more backpacks full of black holes.
- Schoology frees up teachers' time. It allows them to provide individualized feedback.
- Schoology is a great way for parents to be connected right into the heart of a classroom.
- The new Assessment Tool is a work in progress and has great potential.
- One way in which I believe that Schoology is a high leverage educational tool is its ability to communicate with students and families. I love the intuitive design of the user interface, which allows me to provide the families I serve with information that they can quickly access and use to develop student knowledge.
- Another feature of this platform that I find valuable is their assessment features. I utilize these assessments regularly. This feature allows me to quickly ascertain where my students are in their level of proficiency and make quick, targeted corrections to student misconceptions.
- Another thing that I enjoy about working with this company is their focus on their users. I have attended their annual user conference twice and I have never met people in a system who are so totally dedicated to making their product work for their customers. They are truly focused on each user or systems success with their platform.
- I would like to see them continue to develop their assessment platform to provide more meaningful analytics of both group and individual performances.
- I like how the community of users have a forum to aide each other. However, on rare occasion the feed is a little overwhelming.
- I would like more information about hooking more parents into the platform so that they could interact better with the school and their children.
Schoology Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Schoology Technical Details