Sequel Pro is a relational database software solution offered by Sequel Pro.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/lw/PQ/GI955MTALKUK.pngSequel Pro - best MySQL data editor availableSequel Pro is used in my department for database maintenance. It greatly simplifies the task of correcting data errors in MySQL tables.,Editing existing data. Editing record contents is trivial in Sequel Pro, while not nearly as easy in MySQL Workbench or phpMyAdmin. Deleting data - even simpler than editing data. Inserting new data - using "Duplicate row" then making needed changes is very simple.,Sequel Pro would benefit from the addition of a tool to simplify the creation of new tables.,10,Sequel Pro has made the process of correcting incorrect or incomplete records much faster. This allows me to operate much more efficiently.,The best tool I've used for MySQL managementI use Sequel Pro on a daily basis and it helps me to better manage and organize our project databases, without needing to use a browser based solution like phpMyAdmin. We use it in both local, staging and production environments.,Creating new databases and managing them, like editing some specific fields and options Great interface; it's easy to execute functions like SQL commands that automates our workflow The way it imports existing databases makes everything much easier, so we just need to import ZIP or SQL files,Improving the way we create new connections to remote databases I couldn't find any way to configure my local server (MySQL), so I need to make changes on server outside the application. I know that there are other tools that integrate it, so you don’t have to leave the workflow It could have a feature to integrate our databases or connections (favorites) with other devices, like using Google Drive or Dropbox. It would be really useful!,10,The user interface is great. Since all of our computers are macOS based, we can all use it and share knowledge with our colleagues It enables me to make things in such a faster way that it enables us to spend our time with coding and providing more solutions to our clients The workflow is much improved with the import and export feature, so we don't waste time with that kind of work.,Workbench Enterprise,Chrome DevTools, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, Apple iCloud, Apple Remote Desktop, Parallels Desktop, SkypeFree, powerful and easy to use database management toolSequel Pro is used by our developers for accessing MySQL and alternatives like MariaDB. We work with many different clients and websites so having a GUI application that stores credentials for this database but also provides the ability to perform basic to advanced tasks and queries has proven far more efficient than using the terminal or web-based applications like PhpMyAdmin.,Searching and filtering Connections over SSH Raw SQL when you need it Database and table management User management, credentials and roles,Some queries can be slow and fail to stop Support for different types of database structures like SQLite or NoSQL would be awesome,10,It's free. You really can't go wrong there.,PhpMyAdmin, DB Browser, Base, MySQL Workbench and QueriousSequel Pro is for sure an analyst-friendly data leverage toolI use Sequel Pro daily for my analyses at my company. I don't necessarily run queries in Sequel Pro all the time but it is absolutely my first choice when I need to filter the data or do a quick sanity check. It's used across the whole company.,Filtering/Sorting data based on single constraint including equal to/in/like/between etc. Sanity check or data integrity check. Color coding of different tabs is pretty useful.,With multiple tabs open, a user can easily forget in which tab he writes query and in which he checks the content. Probably some UI improvements. Exporting data/query result is not that easy compared to other similar products.,10,It helps with the efficiency of our daily analyses since a lot of the simple queries can be avoided. It's easier to spot data integrity issues. One example will be by sorting the data in the content view, you can easily tell if the data is updated or not.,PostgreSQL and MySQL,MySQL, Treasure Data, Tableau Desktop, SlackSequel Pro: Everything you need in a Mac MySQL interfaceSequel Pro is almost indispensable in our organization. It strikes the perfect balance of intuitive UX and powerful capabilities. We use it internally to query from several databases containing ad-performance data. It is useful for everything from simple exploratory data work to query optimization for BI visualization tools. Sequel Pro's ability to view/create/change database structure and relations make dealing with API or data structure changes a breeze.,A favorite Sequel Pro feature is the UI for Table/Database creation. APIs and data structures change often so having an intuitive way to make quick updates is a lifesaver. Sequel Pro makes it easy to manage and connect to multiple databases with tabbed windows. It's great to have multiple databases open with their specific queries stored and ready to go. As the database admin for my team I also value the ability to manage users and database privileges. As our teams change in size or different clients and applications need access I can easily create and provision credentials.,Wish it could handle more database types. As of now it can't connect to disparate datasources. Wish it could autoformat. Error messages aren't typically verbose enough to really debug a query without resorting to EXPLAIN queries.,9,Simplifies Ad-Hoc reporting requiring less analyst hours for quick turn around tasks. Helped tune database for B.I. application speed. Reduced reliance on bad visual query builders on some B.I. visualization tools.,,Tableau Desktop, Chartio, Nielsen Digital Ads Ratings
Sequel Pro

Sequel Pro Reviews

Sequel Pro
Top Rated Award
Filter 19 vetted Sequel Pro reviews and ratings
Dan Mahoney profile photo
September 18, 2018

Review: "Sequel Pro - best MySQL data editor available"

• Editing existing data. Editing record contents is trivial in Sequel Pro, while not nearly as easy in MySQL Workbench or phpMyAdmin.
  • Deleting data - even simpler than editing data.
  • Inserting new data - using "Duplicate row" then making needed changes is very simple.
  • Sequel Pro would benefit from the addition of a tool to simplify the creation of new tables.
When an existing MySQL table needs to be examined or edited, Sequel Pro excels. In the circumstance where a new table needs to be created, I believe phpMyAdmin might offer slightly better interface.
Read Dan Mahoney's full review
Carlos Eduardo de Souza profile photo
August 24, 2018

Sequel Pro Review: "The best tool I've used for MySQL management"

• Creating new databases and managing them, like editing some specific fields and options
  • Great interface; it's easy to execute functions like SQL commands that automates our workflow
  • The way it imports existing databases makes everything much easier, so we just need to import ZIP or SQL files
  • Improving the way we create new connections to remote databases
  • I couldn't find any way to configure my local server (MySQL), so I need to make changes on server outside the application. I know that there are other tools that integrate it, so you don’t have to leave the workflow
  • It could have a feature to integrate our databases or connections (favorites) with other devices, like using Google Drive or Dropbox. It would be really useful!
It's my definitive solution for managing local and remote databases, and it's the best tool I've ever used for MySQL administration. I've literally learned how to use Sequel Pro in a matter of minutes.
We develop a lot of Wordpress websites and it works just fine. Maybe it’s not that appropriate for large scale applications, since it can suffer from the performance viewpoint.
Read Carlos Eduardo de Souza's full review
Joey Yax profile photo
December 13, 2017

Sequel Pro Review: "Free, powerful and easy to use database management tool"

• Searching and filtering
  • Connections over SSH
  • Raw SQL when you need it
  • Database and table management
  • User management, credentials and roles
  • Some queries can be slow and fail to stop
  • Support for different types of database structures like SQLite or NoSQL would be awesome
I always suggest Sequel Pro for accessing databases. It's free, secure and easy to use. Because it's an application that lives on your machine and possesses the ability to connect to databases over SSH it means we don't have to expose web-based database management applications or expose the database port publicly on the server. The only time Sequel Pro is not an option is if the database is not MySQL or an equivalent.
Read Joey Yax's full review
November 10, 2017

Review: "Sequel Pro is for sure an analyst-friendly data leverage tool"

• Filtering/Sorting data based on single constraint including equal to/in/like/between etc.
  • Sanity check or data integrity check.
  • Color coding of different tabs is pretty useful.
  • With multiple tabs open, a user can easily forget in which tab he writes query and in which he checks the content. Probably some UI improvements.
  • Exporting data/query result is not that easy compared to other similar products.
As mentioned, it's very convenient when data filtering is needed - no query needs to be written, just play with the drop-down toolbox.
Kyle Randolph profile photo
March 08, 2017

Review: "Sequel Pro: Everything you need in a Mac MySQL interface"

• A favorite Sequel Pro feature is the UI for Table/Database creation. APIs and data structures change often so having an intuitive way to make quick updates is a lifesaver.
  • Sequel Pro makes it easy to manage and connect to multiple databases with tabbed windows. It's great to have multiple databases open with their specific queries stored and ready to go.
  • As the database admin for my team I also value the ability to manage users and database privileges. As our teams change in size or different clients and applications need access I can easily create and provision credentials.
  • Wish it could handle more database types. As of now it can't connect to disparate datasources.
  • Wish it could autoformat.
  • Error messages aren't typically verbose enough to really debug a query without resorting to EXPLAIN queries.
  • Amazing for ad-hoc requests and simple aggregation.
  • Great for writing, troubleshooting and optimizing queries for BI visualization tools and preprocessing data for more advanced analysis in Python or R data environments.
  • Amazing for quick schema/structure changes.
  • Not a visual query editor which necessitates knowledge of MySQL syntax.
  • Not for the code-averse.
Read Kyle Randolph's full review
Anand Chhatpar profile photo
February 15, 2017

Review: "Sequel Pro is the first thing you should install if you're administering a MySQL server on a Mac"

Sequel Pro is my MySQL client of choice. I use it on my Macbook and it is used to administer my databases, both locally and on our servers via an SSH tunnel. The main business problem it solves is to provide a GUI-based client for managing and administration of MySQL databases.
  • Very easy to do backups and restore of MySQL databases using their SQL export function. The function also compresses the output so you can create a .gz file. Multiple formats of export are supported, including CSV and SQL.
  • Connecting to remote databases using SSH tunnels works great with Sequel Pro. It automatically establishes the SSH tunnel to the correct port and logs you in seamlessly.
  • Seeing all currently running queries and all processes on the server is easy with Sequel Pro. It also allows you an auto-refresh option so you can constantly monitor the queries coming in. This is very useful when diagnosing MySQL query bottlenecks for web application databases.
  • I don't see a way in Sequel Pro to easily see and monitor MySQL's MyISAM keybuffer usage and InnoDB's buffer pool usage.
  • The tool currently doesn't help you optimize your MySQL configuration variables. It would be very useful to be able to keep the client open for monitoring a DB server for a long time and then based on query usage, the tool could provide you with optimum variable settings for your server.
  • The Query window that lets you write a SQL query by hand is not particularly smart. It doesn't autocomplete your queries or show you any syntax help or suggestions. When you try to run a bad query, you simply get back the error that MySQL would throw -- Sequel Pro will not help you debug the query.
Sequel Pro is a great client for MySQL databases used for web applications. If you do development on your local machine, and your local machine is on Mac OS, installing Sequel Pro is a no-brainer first choice. Once you get used to it, you can even use it for administration of server-side databases.
Where I would not recommend using Sequel Pro would be for architecture-level configuration or setting up the structure for new databases. Their interface is not particularly helpful for configuring DB server variables or scanning through server-side logs.
Read Anand Chhatpar's full review
Brad Magyar profile photo
April 11, 2017

Sequel Pro Review: "SQL Pro is Killer"

It's used for building reports, queries and basic SQL Server management.
  • Simple, intuitive interface
  • Runs natively on Mac
  • Has handy built-in functionality such as beautification, auto-complete and other similar features
  • Stability, it crashes from time to time
  • Speed, it returns results more slowly than SSMS, even when running in a VM
  • More complex management abilities
It's well suited for everyday SQL tasks, but nothing too complex, unless you want to handle all of that with straight SQL.
Read Brad Magyar's full review
June 15, 2017

Sequel Pro Review: "Great Database Navigator!"

Sequel Pro is used as a database management interface at our company. It's used widely across engineering, and it's a good access point for engineers, product managers, etc. It is a versatile tool for peeking into databases and being able to view the tables and db schema from a top down prospective. Makes it easy for both technical and less technical people all the same.
  • Easy to understand interface
  • Very versatile; it is powerful to both the beginner, and the expert
  • It makes it easy to navigate across various databases on different servers
  • There's not much missing, the tool is pretty complete
  • There could be an easier way to setup ssh tunnels that require using different keys
  • It would be cool if the console was more customizable
It's really good for when you want to take a look at the overall db schema from a top down view. Everything is laid out in a tree structure that allows you to see the tables and how they're put together. You can also edit rows really easily without typing out update statements.

Sequel Pro Scorecard Summary

About Sequel Pro

Sequel Pro is a relational database software solution offered by Sequel Pro.