SharePoint Designer Reviews

Doreen Giles | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 11, 2019

SharePoint Designer Novice

Return on Investment

• For my needs, I have not found SharePoint Designer useful for my day to day maintenance of SharePoint. It is useful for viewing all the objects that make up the SharePoint site.
  • It is not as intuitive in regard to setting up Workflows. I have yet to use it to set up workflows in SharePoint. Maybe if I needed more complex workflows, it would be beneficial.
  • I like to use SharePoint Designer for moving around files within SharePoint sites.
Read Doreen Giles's full review
Laura Stein | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 10, 2019

Decent product

Return on Investment

• Positive: Where we can use it, it saves the cost of a Nintex workflow.
  • Negative: Nothing really. It doesn't have all the features I would like, but what it has worked fine.
Read Laura Stein's full review
Melissa Kattke | TrustRadius Reviewer

Return on Investment

• Cannot customize .net; Developers must use Visual Studio instead of SharePoint Designer.
  • There is a maximum depth of a workflow sub-step in xamml where that is a hard limit of 125 for node depth in xaml. The maximum value of 121 levels accounts for the default activities (stage, sequence, etc.) that SharePoint Designer inserts automatically.
Read Melissa Kattke's full review
Nicholas Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer

Return on Investment

• SharePoint Designer has been key in the success of our multiple business objects. Without SharePoint Designer (and InfoPath in most cases to customize list forms) SharePoint would be nothing more than a large collection of sites to store files. SharePoint is at the core of Holiday Retirement's corporate business from the Hiring of new Talent, Rendering Business Intelligence Reports, to Corporate Communications. The first question from the majority of managers who have a business objective, schedule a meeting with my team to inquire if SharePoint is the answer. 95% of the time, it is, and I'm very proud to be the Architect and Developer to build these solutions.
Read Nicholas Miller's full review
Kristina Geiger | TrustRadius Reviewer

Return on Investment

• With workflows alone we have had a positive ROI because it gives us increased functionality and value with a smaller amount of development time needed.
  • The testing of workflows or pages is more structured and we have less base cases than a ground-up customized development solution.
  • Occasionally, we will have a negative impact on our ROI based on the work-arounds needed to make SharePoint Designer work for a specific project, but overall there has been more positive impacts than negative.
Read Kristina Geiger's full review
Mary Kay Scott | TrustRadius Reviewer

Return on Investment

• Positive impact: End users love the custom look of their sites after I have used Designer to spice it up a bit.
  • Negative impact: Other end users now want *their* sites to be spiced up similarly. More work for my team is a good thing, but each time I work in Designer, I am afraid that I am adding another impediment to our eventual upgrade to 2013.
Read Mary Kay Scott's full review

Return on Investment

• Facilitates business process automation and improves productivity.
  • No major value add on the page design capability.
  • Some value in external data (BCS) capability.

About SharePoint Designer

Microsoft's SharePoint Designer is a tool for developing SharePoint applications.