SharePoint Designer Reviews

Krishn Garg | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 29, 2020

Valuable tool for SharePoint customization

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We are using SharePoint Designer to customize SharePoint sites, and developing and deployment of custom solutions on SharePoint. It's the best tool for designing site pages and developing workflows. We are resolving business requirements of creating different levels of approval workflows and providing custom solutions.
Read Krishn Garg's full review
Doreen Giles | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 11, 2019

SharePoint Designer Novice

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Currently, I am using SharePoint Designer to manage apps, edit HTML pages and manage files. I thought I would use it more to edit forms but I prefer InfoPath. I find it more useful to edit. When I want to get a clear picture of the hierarchy in SharePoint, I use SharePoint Designer. I find it difficult at times to navigate the breadcrumbs to get to what I want. It does not seem to be too forgiving when you want to navigate from one subsite to another.
Read Doreen Giles's full review
Melissa Kattke | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 22, 2018

Ah-ha thoughts after using SharePoint Designer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

SharePoint Designer offers a variety of options when implementing this tool in SharePoint itself. It allows SharePoint developers to create workflows, customize SharePoint sites and create forms using InfoPath. For the customer I was serving, I was using SharePoint Designer for a custom workflow and form to solve a business problem where previously, the customer used Outlook emails to send and receive, approve or reject, edit and archive privacy documents. The customer realized that this was a poor approach for their business process and wanted a better way of managing privacy documents. Using SharePoint Designer gave our team the tools it needed to craft and maintain an autonomous workflow of sending, receiving, assessing and archiving government documents.
Read Melissa Kattke's full review
Nicholas Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 05, 2017

The Truth about SharePoint Designer - The Key to Success

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

SharePoint Designer is only used by the SharePoint and Business Intelligence teams. Since this program is a very difficult to learn to use, and give the ability, depending on permission access in SharePoint, a typical end-user, or even power-user can make great and terrible changes with just a couple clicks of the mouse. As the SharePoint architect and developer, I am the primary user of SharePoint Designer (SPD) and I use it mainly for developing 2010 (client-based) and 2013 (server-based) platform workflows. I pride myself as being a "no-code developer" meaning, my highest priority is NOT to write any custom code (C#, .NET, PowerShell, etc.) to automate business processes and applications. There is a lot of POWER in the SPD Workflows, especially the 2013 workflows to allow for error checking, reminder systems, data automation, access to external data via REST HTTP Calls from the workflow itself, which opens a whole new world to build and develop, as you can now use the REST API to do various actions in SharePoint without having to write a custom action.
Read Nicholas Miller's full review
Scott Rawls | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 17, 2017

SharePoint Designer Review

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

As a SharePoint designer, and developer, I use SharePoint Designer to edit, configure and create workflows in SharePoint Online and on-premise.
Read Scott Rawls's full review
Matt Finley, MSIT | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 11, 2017

Business solutions with SharePoint Designer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use SharePoint Designer to build complex business workflows to solve real business needs. It is being used at the department level to solve and automate department business needs. It allows SharePoint admins and site owners to easily see all site content, lists and libraries and manage them from the SharePoint Designer application. It also saves countless hours of document management and other tedious tasks by allowing the automation of many actions in SharePoint.
Read Matt Finley, MSIT's full review
April Dunnam | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 04, 2017

SharePoint Designer: A Necessary Evil

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We utilize SharePoint Designer across our own organization. We also install it for our clients and use it for them as well. SharePoint Designer is currently a necessary evil for our SharePoint clients. The biggest business problem that it addresses is the need to create custom workflows for SharePoint which is mostly what we use it for.
Read April Dunnam's full review
Kristina Geiger | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 10, 2016

Designer is great- but no more Design view IN Designer??

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

SharePoint Designer was used at the company for increased flexibility of workflows, full customization ability for our sites/site pages, and used for pieces of larger scale application development. While a majority of the use is from the IT team responsible for maintaining the company's SharePoint site, there were a select few other individuals that would be provided with SharePoint Designer to further expand on their department's SharePoint site. It addresses business problems such as custom workflows to meet business needs, editing master/site pages to provide the exact information, or customizing forms to provide only critical business information in certain areas to certain users.
Read Kristina Geiger's full review
Mary Kay Scott | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 07, 2016

SharePoint Designer: Use With Caution

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Our company uses SharePoint Designer for ad-hoc customizations to its SharePoint 2010 intranet. My team, which is the web development team, is the only group allowed to use Designer in the production environment. Anybody who requests it can use it in the test environment. We have a deployment tool that facilitates deployment of sites from test to production.

I jump into SharePoint Designer whenever a one-off customization to an intranet site is requested, such as adding conditional formatting to a list view, or making visual adjustments to a form. I also use it for creating workflows, adding Javascript to a page, or creating custom CSS for a specific site.

Read Mary Kay Scott's full review
June 10, 2016

There's no SharePoint without SharePoint Designer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

SharePoint Designer is currently being used to provide custom solutions to end-users. It is currently only being used by the SharePoint Team. SharePoint Designer helps automate business processes by sending notifications through custom workflows and by creating custom reports using web part pages.

About SharePoint Designer

Microsoft's SharePoint Designer is a tool for developing SharePoint applications.