Solid Edge Reviews

September 22, 2019

Operationally Functional but Flawed by Design.

Siemens Solid Edge is used across out organisation as the primary Computer Aided Design package with which the company models our products in 3D and produces 2D drawings (drafts) to aid in the manufacture of products. By using a single CAD package across the whole organisation, the company is able to enforce standards and best practice on all designers. The whole organisation makes use of the product and is integrated into the Siemens Team Centre PLM suite.
  • Integration with Siemens Team Centre suite, as well as other PLM solutions.
  • Parameterisation of CAD models to allow a single design to be used in multiple applications.
  • License management which allows multiple users to be allocated a fixed number of licenses, thus saving on operational costs and meaning that costly licences are not going unused.
  • The usability of Solid Edge does not compare well to a product like SOLIDWORKS. Being a high-end CAD package, it is assumed by Siemens that training will be undertaken to learn to use the product, and thus the interface is not as user-friendly as it could be.
  • Workflows in Solid Edge are not very easy to follow and require previous experience with a specific tool to be able to figure out how to use it. Contrasted to a product like Onshape, which utilises an intuitive workflow process, Solid Edge is a challenge to get to know.
  • The cost of a Solid Edge license is not justified by the functionality that it offers. In my opinion, for the cost, there are better packages out there. With Solid Edge, you are paying for the luxury of being able to integrate into a variety of other software offerings, many of which the standard user will never touch.
Well Suited for:
  • Integrated designs performed by multiple designers simultaneously (designs requiring a Product Lifecycle Management system);
  • Designs requiring a high degree of parameterisation;
  • Large companies where specific standards and best practices are applied to all models and drawings created.
Not Well Suited for:
  • Personal use in designing one-off models and drawings;
  • Small business use where very few of the expensive features are actually used.
July 09, 2019

Solid Edge 2D is a great tool to keep in the toolbox

I am using Solid Edge to open and work with AutoCAD (.dwg) files from clients, which I review and modify as needed. I use the 2D version of SolidEdge along with other CAD software to accomplish this work.
  • Solid Edge handles DWG files well. It doesn't seem to have as much trouble as some other CAD programs opening and translating DWG files.
  • Solid Edge runs smoothly, and I suspect this has to do with the quality of the software rather than the hardware I am using. Some other CAD programs have trouble with larger files.
  • The intelligent cursor feature is powerful and intuitive. The software 'guesses' if, for example, you are trying to draw a horizontal line rather than a line at some angle. Its intelligent snaps are similarly powerful and useful.
  • Being used to 2-key and 3-key commands from the keyboard, it would be nice if this was more robust in Solid Edge. The capability of programming keystroke commands exists in Solid Edge, but it would be more user friendly in that regard.
  • Editing hatches can be a challenge.
  • I'm not a fan of the ribbon bar, but that seems to be a feature across software platforms in Windows.
It seems especially well suited for sheet metal design. The weld symbol macro is really nice, as are the smart dimensions.
David Breitstein | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 05, 2019

Solid Edge: CAD for the real world

I train people in Solid Edge as the basis of my business. I also use Edge to do occasional design work for my customers, as well as use it to support users remotely.
  • Allows designers to work as they choose and not have to acclimate their work for the product's requirements. This results in productive use of Edge, thus an ROI for the company.
  • Manage large (high count of components) assemblies very well. Users spend little to no time trying to overcome speed issue with respect to assemblies.
  • Synchronous Design! This highly productive design process is unique to Edge and very addictive
  • School/university exposure and saturation is low, students getting hired out of school are unaware of Edge.
  • Market perception: competitors win the popularity contest in the CAD world. Yet, Edge is by far the functional king of the industry.
Sheet metal is way efficient easy to use. The advanced plastic design is strong but relatively unknown. The built-in data management is a great solution for all companies.
Read David Breitstein's full review
Scott Rodgers | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 23, 2019

Want to save time? Want to save money? Want to save yourself some mental anguish? Check out Solid Edge.

I occasionally use Solid Edge on personal time. Sometimes I'm at home and want to turn an idea into a 3D model. Sometimes I had a particularly difficult part/assembly edit at work (where we use SOLIDWORKS) and I want to see how much faster and easier it would have been in Solid Edge. I'm hoping to find enough benefits to using Solid Edge that my work will consider adopting it as our primary CAD platform.
At a previous workplace, I used Solid Edge to import and work with dumb solids. It did a great job of optimizing the parts and assemblies for moldability, and would speed up the engineering process of designing parts and molds for plastic injection molding.
  • Faster and easier changes to parts and assemblies. A feature can easily be moved, resized, deleted, etc. independently of features created afterward.
  • Very effective tools to work with parts and assemblies from other CAD programs. The same technology that improves edits to parts and assemblies also speeds up handling files that might come up as dumb solids.
  • Better performance, especially with large assemblies. Opening the same files in other CAD programs are slower and clunkier.
  • The user interface isn't quite as intuitive. It might simply be I learned SOLIDWORKS first, but some of the steps of doing something seem backward.
  • Solid Edge doesn't have anything I feel is comparable to my favorite SOLIDWORKS add-in, HSMXpress
  • I've never gotten the fastener library to work right.
Any project where the design might have unexpected changes is exactly what Solid Edge is made for. When (not if) those unexpected changes are required by the customer, or supplier change, or a manufacturability issue, you can make the accommodations with less time and trouble.
The biggest scenario I've found Solid Edge less appropriate for is with a group that is already comfortable with another CAD program and hesitant to try something else. I'm personally fond of HSM for CAD/CAM, and not familiar with CNC programming on Solid Edge.
Read Scott Rodgers's full review
John T. Winter | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 22, 2019

Electro-mechanical designers choose Solid Edge

Solid Edge is being used by our mechanical engineering group. It's simple to learn. We've had SOLIDWORKS designers pick it up in a few hours. The synchronous technology makes this product a very efficient tool for designers. The integrated FEA saves us time. We also have a distributed team and the built-in data manager works great via Google Drive. The team loves the zero latency since the files are on their individual PCs rather than a server or strictly online.
  • Synchronous technology with design intent is a powerful design aid. We've found it so much faster to design this way.
  • Built-in data manager gives us the ability to have all our Solid Edge files on our PC and have it synced to all others on our team. Files lock as they should and the speed couldn't be better.
  • Support is great. The community group has the most answers to the "how do I" questions.
  • At some point, I'd like to see an online version of Solid Edge so we don't have to have workstations to run the program.
  • It would be nice to have a simple way to make a monolithic (one part) part from an assembly while being able to hide interior features without having to manually alter the part file.
  • Threads on screws are an image rather than modeled. This is nice as it saves on file size in an assembly, but some times I need to see the threads. It would be nice to have a way to model the threads easily if needed.
Perfect for single users, students or large organizations. Siemens owns the Parasolid kernel, so that helps keep the price down. The other companies for 3D CAD have to license the Parasolid kernel from Siemens so that adds to their cost structure. I found Siemens Solid Edge to be the perfect cost/performance for us.
Read John T. Winter's full review
Alex Smith, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 22, 2019

Review from a 20+ year mechanical designer turned instructor

I am the instructor of the Canadian Valley Technology Center CAD program. Solid Edge is used with & by students pursuing a career in mechanical drafting/engineering. The capabilities of synchronous technology enables our students to spend more time designing due to its flexibility and ease of use.
  • Synchronous technology allows a user to spend less time studying on how to model and more time designing.
  • The portfolio of Siemens products incorporated into Solid Edge like Teamcenter and Mentor allows the students to gain exposure to other industry-leading applications.
  • Solid Edge has less of a learning curve and Siemens Learning Advantage is a great gateway for up-to-date tutorials.
  • I have only used the software in an educational environment, therefore, have only witnessed the advantages over other packages.
  • I would like to see more abilities to automate parts/assemblies/drawings through logic as opposed to suppressed states. However, I have not used it to the full potential.
  • Possibly incorporate or have plugins for other PLM/PDM applications like Vault or Windchill. In my limited capacity as a user, it is possible there currently are some available.
Well suited for using the ST when designing/modifying components when the constraints have significantly changed. Other software can require significate redefining of features to adapt. Having the ability to import direct models without sacrificing precision is very useful. I do feel that the application can be limited in the large assembly environment such as aircraft, ship, and vehicle design.
Read Alex Smith, MBA's full review
Alan Urbina | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 18, 2019

Solid Edge

In our organization we use Solid Edge to model new products. If it is something simple we do it in one part but if it is something more complex we divide it into several parts and then make an assembly. If it is needed later, we create the plans of said product. Usually we export the file to render it in another program.
  • Easy to model
  • Easy to creat blueprints/drafts
  • Easy to create assemblies
  • Textures don't look real
  • You can not move an object so easily
Solid Edge is great for modeling any object, from simple to complex. If it is easier for you to create piece by piece and then assemble it, Solid Edge is very good and easy to use. Solid Edge is great for creating plans, since it is very easy and intuitive to use measurement tools.
Read Alan Urbina's full review

About Solid Edge

Siemens PLM (formerly UGS), a division of Siemens AG, offers Solid Edge. Solid Edge is a 2D/3D CAD modeling, simulation, CAM, and 3D printing suite offered free to students, hobbyists, and learners or at relatively low cost to mid-tier companies. It's capabilities are limited relative to Siemens PLM Software enterprise options (NX & Teamcenter, Simcenter).

Solid Edge Technical Details