Sigma Reviews

Peter Jaffe | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 28, 2020

The best BI platform for democratized data

Sigma is used throughout Teachable, from executives to engineers to Finance to Customer Operations. Its ease of use has allowed us to democratize data so that it is equally valuable to people in a wide variety of roles. It is used by Product Managers to build dashboards providing insight for Engineering Teams to see how the products they build are affecting our users. It is used by Fraud Analysts to examine transactions and look for bad actors on our platform. It is used by Marketing to filter tables of attribution data to see how specific campaigns are performing. It is used by the QA team to monitor builds and watch for problems in our test suite. In short, business users in every department at Teachable are using Sigma on a daily basis to derive the analyses they need to make decisions.
  • Sigma is highly focused on ease of use. At Teachable, users find its interface far more intuitive and user friendly than the BI platform we were using before.
  • The spreadsheet-style interface and formulas are an easy transition for business users who are not used to working with complex BI platforms.
  • The ability for business users to open any data source that we have granted them permission to access, and to join tables on their own (building their own data models) is incredibly powerful and a huge plus—the Data Team does not need to be a roadblock, as no one has to wait to get access to data sources they need.
  • When we have run up against bugs or shortcomings in the product, the Sigma Team has been extremely responsive. We have seen many improvements already. In less than a year on the platform, and they are clearly iterating on the product at a rapid pace.
  • Many of our users access the SQL Runner and would like to be able to share queries with other users. Sigma does not yet have a feature allowing users to save and share raw queries.
  • The visualizations, while quite adequate, definitely lag behind some of the more established BI platforms on the market.
Sigma is great for organizations that want to give their business users access to generate their own insights from the data warehouse without having to go through Engineering or the Data Team. The product is a great fit if you already have usable data and you want to derive insights into a straightforward interface. It would be less appropriate for organizations that want a data cleaning or data transformation layer integrated with their BI platform, or for cases where very complex, advanced visualizations are needed.
Read Peter Jaffe's full review
Nicholas Monje | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 27, 2020

The Business Intelligence tool of my heart

We use Sigma across the entire company to conduct all our business intelligence research. We have lots of dashboards to track company and team level metrics of all sorts, as well as ad hoc sheets to answer specific questions. Pretty much all our understanding of our business besides event-based analytics (for which we use Mixpanel) comes from Sigma. We migrated from Looker.
  • Segmenting data.
  • Building dashboards.
  • Incredibly powerful slicing and dicing of input data with its "levels" system.
  • Building visualisations.
  • Ability to create ad hoc data sets to share between multiple sheets allowing you to quickly update shared information/criteria.
  • Complicated queries can be slow.
  • More customization of visualisations, especially the number metrics.
  • Ability to collaborate on a shared sheet.
  • Ability to more easily create pivot columns within a sheet.
Sigma excels at being able to take data and segment it in very complex ways, and build data sets that do that and then extend from them even further. It is hands down my favorite BI tool I have ever used, for the sheer power of its spreadsheets with its level system alone. Its visualisations are also great, though not always the most customizable (though my standard for that is MatLab which is probably unfair). It is not the best for event-based analytics, mostly for solving session de-duping, for which I rely heavily on a more dedicated solution like Mixpanel. Other than that, though, it really is the most powerful tool for any BI job.
Read Nicholas Monje's full review
Dimitri Strutt | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 14, 2020

BI for all

Our system's usage is captured in Snowflake. Sigma was perfectly tailored to access Snowflake and quickly allow us to build internal dashboards to monitor the usage, track the efficiency of our changes and produce reports easily and automatically communicated to our clients without any ETL/publish phase. The Excel-like UI is particularly convenient and the ability to embed public dashboards (with constantly refreshed data) without a complex licensing model is extremely valuable. We are now exploring other recently released functionalities and taking full advantage of the ability to work with semi-structured data.
We have also been working with clients willing to build their own dashboards and advising some to use it (though we'd deal with the proof-of-concept) to analyze data we don't own and potentially link it to ours.
  • Excel-like UI
  • Semi-structured data
  • Secured embedded dashboards
  • Data constantly refreshed (no need to publish)
  • Limited choice of visualization types
  • Limited customization of visuals (font in tabular charts)
  • Some functions behaving rather crudely (ranking)
Suited to users with little BI but extensive Excel experience. It is best suited within companies that cannot afford the Tableau-like licensing model and don't have the need for large teams of report-builders but have a large audience for report-consumers.
The limited list of data sources and the fact that CRMs such as Salesforce are not accessible is a shame.
Read Dimitri Strutt's full review
May 26, 2020

Sigma has eliminated the common barriers to entry for our data--the door has been opened for those that have never heard of SQL

Simga Computing is used by the entirety of the data analytics team, as well as a few select individuals like myself, that need to perform data analysis. I believe the plan is for more of a company-wide implementation to be adopted, but outside of engineering, operations, and data analytics, the audience/value will be limited.

Sigma's cloud-based platform offers the benefit of quickly querying large amounts of data, those that would never be able to be effectively run in Excel/Google Sheets. Furthermore, it expands the 'proficient data consumer' population across the company, as SQL (or other query language) skills are not required.
  • Quickly querying vast amounts of data - this cloud-based solution integrates seamlessly with our Snowflake aggregator.
  • It increases the population of employees that can effectively utilize data. Knowledge of query languages are not necessary, but I love that Sigma still offers the option of using query languages (particularly for those that are more familiar with them and/or highly complex queries.
  • Seamless integration wit Snowflake enables quick implementation of the tool.
  • When adding values to include/exclude in a filter, it's not obviously that clicking away from the field entry will initiate the application of the filter.
  • In the filter dropdown menu, it's not entirely obvious how to remove a filter. The "x" is not easy to find visually, nor is its intent obvious.
Sigma is well suited for companies/business units that are >20-30 people--those that require broad access to data company-wide will see the most immediate benefit as the non-data pros will now have the ability to peruse and export as they please. Additionally, those that have already implemented Snowflake have a large advantage for roll-out, but Snowflake is not a necessity.

Sigma doesn't make too much sense for companies with a very limited population of data users, or if all data/analysis is routed directly through one small team (e.g., a 1-3 person team that specializes in-/is solely dedicated to data).
May 15, 2020

Best BI Tool I've Used

We use Sigma Computing across the whole organization to analyze and report sales performance, finances, and glean insights into how our customers use, succeed, and struggle on our platform.
  • Intuitive interface to both analyze and visualize data
  • Powerful but approachable BI capabilities
  • Some of the best customer support I've ever had
  • The dashboard colors are really ugly
I use Sigma to explore and understand our customer performance. It's a great tool for aggregating data from different stories and building a robust view of the customer.
May 31, 2020

User friendly and easy to learn!

Sigma is being used by a majority of our organization. We use it for reporting purposes and to help generate KPI dashboards to track important metrics. It helps our organization to gain a better sense of clarity into how we are performing, what we need to improve on and share valuable insights with our teammates.
  • Easy to use worksheets with drag and drop functions.
  • Dashboards that are customizable + easy to share with external/internal stakeholders.
  • I would like a more detailed instructions page on writing advanced queries to generate different reports, maybe a formula bar?
  • I would like more customizable title/fonts/colors for dashboard visualizations.
Sigma is well suited for first-time users of BI tools without any prior experience. It is easy to learn.
May 31, 2020

Sigma is Great

Sigma is used as a self-service business intelligence tool across the company. It has taken a lot of load off the data analyst since we started using it, as people are able to get a lot of their own data and do their own data exploration.
  • Easy to use for new people, we currently just give access and let people use it.
  • Json extract is a super useful tool.
  • Really bad on mobile.
Very user-friendly and easy to use. End users don't need any knowledge of SQL to work with Sigma.
May 27, 2020

Love Sigma!

Sigma is used across our organization both as a visualization tool for reporting and by our department to pull and slice line item detail. It has helped the business more efficient at answering complex issues.
  • Allows the user to quickly query large data sets.
  • Optimization for Snowflake allows for decreased lag times.
  • Sigma's visualization tools could use some improvement, it is sometimes difficult to tell the story to the end user as well as we'd like.
Fantastic for pulling large quantities of data, speed allows for ease of multiple connection dashboarding.

User friendly for those with an Excel background allowing for entry level ease of use.
June 01, 2020

Great product, great experience

We use Sigma across all our organization. We use it mostly for customer-facing and internal reporting purposes.
  • Dashboard configuration.
  • Query customization.
  • Scheduling.
  • More in-line controls for correct syntax.
* Excellent for dashboarding and recurring business tracking.
May 14, 2020

Sigma - great for adhoc reporting.

We use Sigma across the org to gather business insights. We've found it indispensable to be able to run reports on the fly and be able to dive deeper into our data.
  • Adhoc reporting
  • UI/UX
  • Onboarding
  • Access management
Sigma works really well if you have an organization that is able to self serve reports to gather insights.
Kenneth Kennedy | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 28, 2019

My Sigma Review.

Some members of the organization use it to tap into Snowflake.
  • Queries Snowflake.
  • Automated reports.
  • Working in the individual tables.
  • Adjusting the screen size for some menus on the left.
  • The layout of Sigma in general needs improvement.
  • It needs more report automation functionality.
It is nice to have reports that run automatically, but some of that functionality was only recently added, and it is not the best.
Read Kenneth Kennedy's full review
Siddique Chaudhry, CCSK | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 27, 2019

Sigma is definitely worth a try!

We use Sigma Computing to develop dashboards - these dashboards display information on security analytics and Snowflake personnel analytics. It is used across the entire organization and solves several of our analytical hurdles.
  • Easy graphs
  • Easy to share and display
  • Easy to learn and code into a new dashboard
  • Requires an account to view
  • Need to be code savvy
  • Can be slow based on amount of data
Sigma Computing is a great tool and I would recommend it. It is used for data analytics and providing dashboards to turn numbers into a story.
Read Siddique Chaudhry, CCSK's full review
October 01, 2019

Sigma Computing mostly solves a very difficult problem with a few notable shortcomings

We're using Sigma Computing in parallel with other reporting tools to allow business users to define and modify reports without having to learn SQL or submit a ticket to an analyst who does. It's used across the organization but has not been fully adopted yet.
  • Sigma displays tabular data and particularly pivot tables very well. The formatting options are very flexible and fairly intuitive.
  • Sigma's mechanism for defining and using filters in reports and dashboards is very far behind their competitors. Filter behavior is often inefficient and counterintuitive.
  • The queries Sigma generates for non-trivial operations seems to be relatively inefficient, and it makes extensive use of machine-generated column identifiers that make it difficult to diagnose which parts of the query are causing trouble.
Sigma Computing is very good in cases where non-technical end users need to interact with base data that is already relatively denormalized. It allows them to join data between tables but there are pitfalls that leave people at real risk of making mistakes that could cause inaccurate results or poor query performance.

Sigma Saves Time

Sigma Computing is being used by the data team at my company to provide insights to many teams across the organization. The specific way our data team uses it for my department is to provide reports on a) customer usage/health metrics for our SaaS product and b) financial metrics. I then use Sigma Computing to properly filter and massage that data to identify the users that my department directly contacts with the goal of maintaining/increasing customer health and reducing churn.
  • Sigma's reports are visually pleasing.
  • Sigma's reports are intuitive to navigate and manipulate.
  • Sigma connects to our multiple data sources, which some of our other tools do not.
  • I'd like to be able to simply copy a couple rows or columns out of Sigma and paste them into Excel or Google Sheets, where I can color code rows, break info out into different tabs by customer, or delete data after I've addressed the customer linked to it. Currently, I can only copy/paste 1 cell at a time directly from Sigma so I export the entire report, filter it in Excel, and then organize the data further (as mentioned above).
  • A ctrl+f feature would make it easy for me to see if a certain customer is in a report before I take the time to export it. After exporting, I complete the steps mentioned in my first comment.
As someone in Customer Success who benefits from reports that are built in Sigma Computing by my company's Data team, I am not sure what situations Sigma would not apply. I do know that this has been the best tool I've seen my company implement to create a holistic view of customers health and usage. We were using Mode for reporting before and I used that to update a document on a monthly basis for my team as well as our executives. The reports generated in Mode required me to filter and massage data more than I do now. Sigma Computing cut the time it takes to update that document in half, saving me hours.
September 24, 2019

Democratizing Data: From a Non-Data/Engineering Perspective

We are beginning to implement it across the organization as a way to democratize access to data. Decentralize the access so that it's not just within the data/engineering team and so that it's accessible and workable for other departments like sales and marketing management to use as a way to power informed decisions as well as identify key insights.
  • Clean UI makes the powerful system approachable and inviting to begin sandbox testing.
  • Modular approach. You can pivot and pull and plug away so much. The permutations are endless with lots of visualizations and integrations to keep the data and insights flowing.
  • Great for multi-user and getting people set-up across the org.
  • Though the tutorial click through at initial sign-up is done great, I wish there were some additional ways to learn about the product at the early stages. It's almost as if they begin with lots of help and support and then expect you to be great on your own and help becomes overly technical. Probably not bad for data scientists but definitely affected the want to use the tool daily (it kind of plateaued).
  • I'd like to see better sales material/education. My org has lots of people familiar with Mode & Tableau, so we wanted to have clearer comparisons of why it's worth switching over to this new tool. Why is it so much better? That needs to be clearer.
Great for smaller businesses and tech startups to get the data stood up and democratized across an organization. Lower cost of getting started and easy to get it going.
September 21, 2019

A non-technical, user friendly analytics tool

We use Sigma Computing to develop business reporting from our business analytics data. Sigma Computing effectively solved the problems of accessibility to the data and adoption of usage with our non-analyst users. Our front line managers found it to be very easy to use and understand because its interface modeled after simple spreadsheet sheet usage which they are already familiar with. Thu,s they did not need to learn the language of analytics to do more complex tasks like regressions and correlations.
  • Simple spreadsheet-like user interface. If you know Excel or Google Docs, you can use Sigma Computing to do complex analysis.
  • Flexible in that power users can narrow down result sets directly if they know how to do SQL, but SQL knowledge is not required to to analyze data.
  • Easy to share completed reports and graphical data with teams, without requiring team members to have paid accounts.
  • Because Sigma Computing sits directly on top of the analytics data warehouse it queries live data. Not the most efficient when it comes to speed and requires attention from data specialist to make sure the warehouse is optimized to support the queries.
  • Access control is loosely governed. Meaning pretty much granular access to specific tables or schemas hard to manage. Sharing a report means granting implicit access to the source data.
  • Change management is tricky. Renaming of tables means re-creating reports, rather than just being able to point existing reports at a new table.
Sigma is great if...
  • Your user base is relatively low level of technical ability with analytics tools
  • You need to generate sharable reports
  • You must have access to up to the minute up to date information
  • You have the ability to support the back-end data warehouse by scaling a cluster to support heavyweight (auto-generated) SQL queries
Sigma is not so great if...
  • You have a highly technical analytics team as your user base
  • You need tightly controlled access to down to the table/row/field/schema levels
  • Your users primarily spend their time working in SQL
September 18, 2019

Save yourself a few hours a week, use Sigma instead of command line DB queries.

We use Sigma Computing as one of a set of data tools for analyzing customer behavior. I maintain it as a marketing tool, but also build our dashboards for other departments, such as product developers, and biz dev.

The big win for me with Sigma Computing, is that it allows me to take a set of queries that I would normally run by hand once a week, or once a month, and lets me view the data almost instantly without having to pull and manipulate it. I set up my queries one time, perform any translation or added layers I need (which Sigma is great at, stuff I can't do in Excel or anywhere else automatically) and then push them to a dashboard that I can load each morning.
  • Allows a quick look at important data that moves every day.
  • Frees up a lot of my time from manually running, downloading, loading, and translating data.
  • Allows me to easily share my findings with a quick link.
  • I would love to see some additional visualizations added. I find myself using the same 2 or 3 on all of my dashboards, which is functional, but I would like some choices to make things a little more visually appealing.
  • I would like to adjust the timeout options I have when querying the data. It would be nice to force a longer timeout for some of the tables I have that are larger and take a while to get data from.
  • Scheduling dashboards to send snapshots to Slack fail more often than they work. It is a feature I do not use much, because I cannot rely on it.
  • The ability to set the screen size of the VM that takes the snapshots would be useful. I have a high resolution screen that I set my dashboards up to be visible on, and when I get a report emailed to me, it is always cut off because the resolution on the VM that takes the snapshot is much lower.
The product really shines when you have multiple databases with information that you find yourself joining often. To have it automatically pull your data and keep it up to date is a real time saver.

One problem area is if you have any super massive DBs. Since Sigma isn't storing data, it has to pull it every time for you. If your DB is huge, or poorly indexed, it can take a long time, or time out.
November 19, 2019

Sigma Reduces Stress

Originally, only one team had been using the platform for analytics. Over time, the Sigma platform has gained popularity among a number of different teams due to the ability to create neat dashboards and visuals.
  • Data Processing
  • Data Visualization
  • Process Automation
  • Mapping customizability
One of the main advantages of the platform is that it does not have a very steep learning curve. Many first-time individuals are able to successfully start using and operating Sigma within a couple of hours.
October 01, 2019

An easy way to expose data

The data team introduced Sigma in order to find a self-serve solution for other teams especially the non-technical roles. We want to enable people to get the data without writing SQL.
  • Easy way to get aggregated data without writing SQL.
  • Easy way to visualize the data.
  • Easy way to manipulate the data by built-in functions.
  • It's not clear what's the implementation if we are doing more complicated join and filter.
  • It can only support to export the data up to 10,000 rows.
  • Little online resources for use cases or questions.
If you are doing simple join and aggregation, it's good to use Sigma. However, if the data is too large, it is a bit complicated for users to work with.
October 01, 2019

Great Price and Great Support! Look no further!

We use Sigma primarily for pulling usage data. We use this data to drive internal goals/KPIs as well as to provide customers with data/information on how they are using in the tool - to drive adoption.
  • Fast.
  • Wide data range.
  • Ease of access within the browser.
  • Sometimes the data is inaccurate or out of data (this could be an issue on our end).
  • User-interface is a bit cluttered.
  • The download CSV button is hidden.
It is great for pulling basic usage data within a select time period. It is not great for more complex data sets.
September 30, 2019

Good Support but Difficult UI

We on the account management level, use Sigma to run a report to see our customers' usage of our specific features. I am not 100% if we have any other department use of Sigma, maybe the Product Team does. It helps us find out how specific users on the account are utilizing our features.
  • Pretty fast to bring the data we need.
  • Mostly accurate data.
  • User-friendly UI ( if you never used it before, you may not know where to start).
  • It could be easier to make changes on the user level. We have to ask our manager to add/remove the filter, this might be the decision on our end so not sure.
It is super helpful when I need to run a quick report on my account to see how their usage has been improved or decreased. This helps me to prep for my customer calls and give them the necessary guidance. Again, this might be something that the responsible parties on our end need to do or don't, but I feel like as an end-user, I do not know how to play around with this tool. The UI looks so raw that as soon as you go in, you are afraid that you will break something. I don't know if that makes sense.
September 20, 2019

Sigma has enabled all of us to be data-driven

Sigma is used for visualizing and reporting on cybersecurity data. For example, tracking how our computing environments meet our standards, and tracking that partner teams are meeting SLAs.
  • It's easy to get started.
  • Good for cross-organization sharing.
  • You can send scheduled reports over Slack.
  • It's tough to manage large amounts of dashboards.
  • You can't pivot on datapoints within dashboards.
  • There's some small UI flakiness occasionally.
It's very well suited to working with data in Snowflake, especially for those who are not experts at SQL. It's also good for reporting to executives and replacing Excel spreadsheets everywhere. It's less appropriate with weakly structured data.
September 18, 2019

Why did it take us so long to get Sigma?

It is used across the whole organization to dive into and compile the data that we had to source individually before. We are able to do many things with it depending on the department but my biggest use of it is to get a full-picture of each of our partnerships and gauge how successful they are.
  • The different options to display data, whether it's a chart, just numbers or a combination of both.
  • The ability to expand deep into the numbers with a simple click
  • Sometimes it takes a while for data to load depending on size of the database
  • Had some issues with errors coming out or database not loading properly
For an organization that has multiple data points but isn't able to display them in one document, Sigma is the perfect tool to be able to view all that data in one document/report. The different charts and displays help create a top-level view with the opportunity to dive deep into the data, which makes it helpful during meetings and the creation of reports.
September 30, 2019

Sigma is a great tool for data sharing

It allows us to share large data sets to be sorted quickly by local teams.
  • Allows us to directly pulldown data into its system from our database.
  • Allows us to correlate data as needed by local teams.
  • Allows us to safely share access with outside parties.
  • Data filters could be improved for more flexibility.
  • Better charts and graphs for visualizations would be great.
  • Larger sets for downloading.
Sigma is great for small data set sharing inside and outside of your organization.
September 19, 2019

Easy Access to Data Warehouse

It's used across the whole organization for internal and external purposes.
  • Connecting to our internal data
  • Customer Service
  • Ability to update data in real-time
  • Visualizations lack features
  • Dashboards aren't as customizable
  • Not great for external facing clients
In general, Sigma helps with both internal and external use cases.

Pixel Perfect reports (9)
5.8
Customizable dashboards (23)
Report Formatting Templates (18)
Drill-down analysis (23)
Formatting capabilities (24)
6.7
Integration with R or other statistical packages (5)
Report sharing and collaboration (24)
Publish to Web (14)
Publish to PDF (18)
Report Versioning (14)
Report Delivery Scheduling (18)
Delivery to Remote Servers (6)
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.) (20)
6.2
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization (16)
5.6
Predictive Analytics (7)
5.1

About Sigma

Sigma is modern analytics built for the cloud. Trusted by data-first companies, Sigma provides live access to cloud data warehouses using an intuitive spreadsheet interface that empowers business experts to ask more questions without writing a single line of code. With the full power of SQL, the cloud, and a familiar interface, business users have the freedom to analyze data in real time without limits.

Sigma Features

Data Discovery and Visualization Features
Has featurePre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Has featureLocation Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Has featureDrill-down analysis
Has featureFormatting capabilities
Has featurePredictive modeling
Does not have featureIntegration with R or other statistical packages
Has featureReport sharing and collaboration
Report Output and Scheduling Features
Has featureDelivery to Remote Servers
Has featureVisual Data Modeling

Sigma Screenshots

Sigma Videos (2)

Visit https://sigmacomputing.wistia.com/medias/o9j6frxkso to watch Sigma video.

Watch Sigma Product Demo - Most Popular Baby Names