Skype Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Ho'omana Nathan Horton profile photo
Skype is included with the university's Office 365 subscription, and all Active Directory users can access and be contacted via Skype. We sometimes use it for within- and between-department communication, especially for quick instant messaging. Skype is, of course, one of the original household names in videoconferencing, etc., but we don't use it much for that on a daily basis.
  • Skype for Business has grown quite a lot since its days as Microsoft Lync and is now quite nicely integrated with almost facets of Windows and Office (and other Microsoft stuff).
  • It's nice for inter-office communication when everyone's using Active Directory and has Skype for Business running.
  • Skype for Business works well even on non-Windows and/or non-university machines (e.g. personal computers).
  • Skype in general, including the Business version, can be pretty clunky, and surprisingly resource-hungry, especially when it's always running, and on machines with lower specs.
  • This resource hungriness can be worth it for quick IMs to other members of the same organization, but I really have a hard time recommending Skype over something like Zoom for videoconferencing.
  • Video communication with others in the same organization just doesn't always seem to work very well, even on the same network.
Skype is pretty good as an integrated tool for quick communication between departments. However, Zoom is lightyears ahead of Skype (and everything else we've tried) as a videoconferencing solution. Teams (another, newer Microsoft product) works for all the things I like about Skype namely within-organization collaboration and communication and is more streamlined and tightly connected to the Office suite in ways that Skype is not.
Read Ho'omana Nathan Horton's full review
Kinga Odziemek profile photo
October 30, 2019

The one and only Skype

We use Skype mainly for communication with our Remote team, Outsourcing teams and some of our clients who do not like other communication platforms. We use it on a daily basis, using both desktop and mobile apps. We have been using it from the very start of Brainy Bees, I have also used it personally.
  • Accessibility.
  • User-friendly interface.
  • Good quality of calls.
  • Lighter apps (so they would not lag on any devices).
  • Better quality of the video (audio is flawless).
Skype will work well if you are on the go and need to communicate with your clients and team. It is a stable desktop app too, will definitely play a significant role in each and every organization. It helps teams communicate better, more often and in the most efficient way, especially if they work remotely and hate e-mail communication if they prefer a quick chat or call.
Read Kinga Odziemek's full review
Ray Fisher profile photo
October 28, 2019

Skype is a time-saver

Using Skype allows our team to have meetings without leaving your desk. This gives us the ability to have meetings more frequently than you would if you were to all meet in one location. Skype also allows you to join in on meetings by mobile devices. This saves so much unneeded drive time and is so much more convenient for all.
  • It allows you to join in on meetings while out in the field by a mobile device.
  • Skype gives you the comfort of meeting from your own office/desk.
  • Skype saves you drive time and fuel costs.
  • Skype does everything that we expect it to do. No complaints that I am aware of.
Skype is great for group meetings and to cover company progress, goals, etc. I personally would not use Skype for employee reviews, promotions, disciplinary actions etc. I think there are a lot of advantages to using Skype for group meetings but I also believe that some meetings need to be personal and face to face.
Read Ray Fisher's full review
Shawngela Pierce profile photo
I use Skype mostly for online video consultations with my clients. Skype is a great tool to have and use because it helps me to contact my clients for free—even my clients who are in another country. I can use it to chat with them, video calls or just use it to call them without the video.
  • Skype does video calls very well. The connection is usually good and the video quality is good.
  • The app for Skype on my iPad Pro is pretty awesome. I hardly ever use Skype on my computer because it has all the features I need.
  • I like that Skype is free for what I need. I have never needed to purchase Skype credits because I don't need to use voice mail, send SMS texts or make calls to a landline, cell or outside of Skype.
  • Honestly, I wish Skype was integrated more into the other apps I use. Although I do use Skype a lot, I prefer to use Google Meets because I automatically get a conference link when I add a meeting to my calendar. This just makes it easier for me.
  • Other than the above, I think Skype does a really good job - so good that most people mention Skype when I offer to do a video chat.
Skype is definitely suitable for businesses that need to meet in a virtual environment. It is free if the other person is using Skype. I have never done the group calls but I could definitely see this as being beneficial for companies that have employees in different areas. Using Skype for that scenario would be very cost-effective.
Read Shawngela Pierce's full review
Kaleb-John Loo profile photo
Skype is used to communicate within the office. Whether we require a simple quick instant message, a phone call, or a video call, Skype provides the means to reliably relay information. With Skype being installed on all of the computers and providing each employee with an account, it means that we can create an interoffice communication network when emails are not sufficient enough. Skype saves time by providing an instant connection between employees so that they can address any problem with a quick conversation.
  • Solid desktop application.
  • Good mobile application.
  • Array of features.
  • High-quality video and voice.
  • Configuration of Skype is particular.
  • If you have multiple input devices, it can be cumbersome to set up the correct one.
  • Sometimes it is not desired to launch Skype, but it is enabled by default. You have to change your settings to disable Skype.
If everyone in the office utilizes Skype, it can be a great tool for office communication. However, when some employees only stick to email, it loses its effectiveness as the messages that you send are never received. Skype is also good if your customers or other businesses utilize it, but if not, then there is also little value there.
Read Kaleb-John Loo's full review
Lindsey Schultz profile photo
Skype is being used to communicate internally with coworkers as opposed to email or getting up to talk to someone. It is used by all departments across the organization and it makes it easy to communicate when a quick response is needed especially with remote employees.
  • Offers immediate sending and receiving of messages between coworkers.
  • This is very easy to use for remote employees vs picking up the phone to answer a simple question.
  • It makes it easy to see if employees are busy in a meeting, free, or idle in order to see if they are ready and available to chat.
  • It is very straight forward and easy to use, I am not sure if it can get any easier!
  • It would be nice to have an easier way to set up group chats on Skype.
Skype is great if an entire organization, especially remote folks, are always logged on and ready to chat when not in a meeting. It would not work well if certain people were not logged on and easily accessible. It is very easy to see if someone is busy or available and is much easier than picking up the phone or getting out of your seat.
Read Lindsey Schultz's full review
Emmy Hammond profile photo
We are a small (but growing pretty quickly) legal services organization that uses a variety of communication platforms, including Skype, to communicate with our partners, pro bono attorneys, board members, and clients around the world. Every department uses Skype for different reasons, but I would say it is most heavily used by the direct services department, which provides legal aid. It is a way for us to communicate across different time zones.
  • Many people are familiar with Skype and used to how it operates as opposed to some other platforms that aren't as popular.
  • Audio and visual is usually high quality, although this does depend largely on the internet connection on both ends.
  • Easy to initiate calls with contacts once they have been added.
  • It seems like the user interface changes fairly often and that can be confusing to adjust to if you don't use it super regularly.
  • When the internet connection isn't good, audio and especially visual loses quality or becomes laggy.
  • Not super clear how to troubleshoot or contact support when you need to fix a call issue really quickly.
Skype is good for international calls because many people are familiar with it and have used it as a primary communication tool for years. However, there are some other new platforms that can be easier to integrate into calendaring systems, depending on what your office is already using. For instance, Google Hangouts is quicker and easier if your office already schedules using Gmail and Google Calendar, because a distinct link and conference line are automatically generated. Still, Skype is useful for contacting people outside your organization, especially if they are overseas.
Read Emmy Hammond's full review
Carlo Borja profile photo
We have been using Skype mostly to communicate with people outside of the organization. It has been the default communication tool we have had for years. Audio and video work great together to be able to hold efficient virtual team meetings. It has also been a way for us to know who is currently online and who is not available.
  • Video chat. It's smooth and the technology has been well perfected over the years.
  • It's fast. It loads and logs in instantly.
  • Very easy to use. No steep learning curve required.
  • Too much RAM usage. It is eating up all of our computer's resources.
  • There is a considerable lag for older computers doing a screen share.
  • Cannot handle a lot of users simultaneously doing a video chat.
Skype is great for video calls that involve less than 10 people. So, you would have to use other alternatives if you decide to do a company-wide chat of more than 10.

Skype's archive of messages is really great if you plan on storing conversation history for a long time.

If your computer is old, you may have trouble using it to the full. It hogs up computer memory.
Read Carlo Borja's full review
Gil Parrish profile photo
We use Skype from our desktop computers. It enables us to communicate with clients and prospective clients without using personal cell phones or landline phones.
  • Voice quality is excellent as compared to some other VOIP services.
  • Allows for recording and tracking of calls.
  • Maintains phonebook.
  • Updates should be sent as proactive emails.
  • Messaging is a little awkward.
  • Need the ability to change Skype name on the fly.
Skype is well suited to use in an environment where cubicles and headphones provide privacy and noise control. Skype is not suited for noisy or bullpen type office arrangements.
Read Gil Parrish's full review
Erica Terry profile photo
We used Skype as a department for meetings among the team, when we worked remotely, traveled etc. It allows those not available in the office to be able to interact and be a part of a in person meeting, while still being able to be home or anywhere! Skype can also be used on your phone which makes it all the easier to connect with those around you.
  • Love the document sharing and the text message chatting as well
  • Makes international calls easy, for a more personal feel
  • Spontaneity with this application makes connecting with others easy, and fun!
  • Sometimes it has trouble connecting to the server, so it can be spotty
  • It can freeze and stop when connection is spotty and take some time to reload.
Skype was extremely helpful when we had a team meeting and it was mandatory and I was out of the office working remotely and needed to be able to call in. It is also well suited for those international clients needing to call in, text chat, video share etc. It is less appropriate in a setting that video or sound is not approved. However, you are still able to chat with one another.
Read Erica Terry's full review
Mark Cruver, M. Ed. CSA, CEP profile photo
September 15, 2019

My Second Choice

We used Skype as a backup video conferencing tool when others fail to operate in a stable environment. We have found it to be less stable than other platforms but serves our needs in communicating with students. We find that many households are familiar with Skype and the brand holds respect that is welcomed.
  • Unlimited time.
  • Ease of use.
  • User friendly.
  • Screen sharing.
  • Presentations.
  • More secure.
Skype serves individual, one-on-one conversations very well. I have had trouble with sound quality in the past, but it often clears up over time. Video bandwidth can be a problem for many users, so ensuring use on a wifi connection is almost imperative for any scenario. Otherwise, it is good for most any circumstance.
Read Mark Cruver, M. Ed. CSA, CEP's full review
Amanda Layman profile photo
I use Skype to communicate with global clients.
  • User-friendliness _ It''s pretty easy to navigate.
  • Quality - Call quality is always good and I never have trouble hearing even when my calls are across the globe.
  • I don't use it often, so sometimes it's difficult to find the buttons I'm looking for when I sign-in.
Skype is great for global calls since it seems to be well-known and used around the world. However, I prefer to use Zoom for most regular and US-based meetings since it's a little faster to get into a meeting and you can just share a link with anyone (whereas I believe Skype requires you to have an account and sign-in, which takes a little bit more time).
Read Amanda Layman's full review
Skype is an internet-based telecommunications tool that I as a business operator use to communicate with merchants and other providers. I find it a great and valuable communication tool compared to other communication apps. Using Skype saves me lots of money on international calls since the calls are virtually free. Furthermore, this app works on various platforms making it available no matter what device I'm using, which is extremely convenient.
  • Voice calls on Skype is crystal clear and don't drop like on some other apps. Skype to Skype calls are free, who doesn't like free?
  • Video calls are easy to use and set up, conferencing is a dream.
  • Quick and easy installation across multiple platforms.
  • Screen or content sharing is very easy, Much easier that some other apps.
  • It seems very stable as it doesn't crash or freeze.
  • Sometimes the system gets a little slow during video conferencing.
  • I wish there was some kind of language translation built into this app.
  • While its multi-platform it isn't as ubiquitous as I would like.
I don't see Skype as a social app, It's definitely best suited for the business environment. Its screen sharing and conferencing features and par excellent. The ability to call landlines and other non-Skype numbers (at a very reasonable cost) are very appealing. Furthermore, Skype saves you money, especially for a small business. This is what I love the most Skype enables small businesses to operate at lower communication expenses.
I work for a corporation with over 25000 employees worldwide. There are multiple locations, different time zones. We use Skype to communicate with each other. It especially works great for communicating with employees abroad. Skype is definitely better than using emails. We definitely prefer Skype to emails because we don't have to sound formal and we can communicate fast.
  • Fast
  • Reliable
  • Emojis
  • Glitchy
  • Boring interface
  • No customization
  • No GIFs (like Slack)
  • Window is large even when manually minimized. At work, I'd prefer something minimalistic.
It's perfect for communicating with coworkers, especially when you have a quick question. It's informal, which make things easier and fast. I wouldn't recommend Skype for communicating with customers, in my opinion, it's not cut out for that. I like Skype, it's pretty efficient, but I can't stand it's boring interface and inability to customize pretty much anything.
We use Skype when one or more team members are working remotely, away on holiday, or on a business trip out of the university in order to conduct meetings by audio or video calls. This has proved very effective in being able to have discussions and address issues when not everybody can be present in the department at the same time.
  • Conference calling, i.e. more connections than 1 to 1.
  • Screen sharing - displaying to the other user(s) what is visible on your screen.
  • Leaving messages in case of no answer.
  • Improving stability of connections, especially with more users, is about the only thing to be improved in my opinion.
It is suited for business discussions when working away from the office thanks to conference calls and screen sharing. For one-to-one audio or video chats with a friend or partner for example, then other apps such as WhatsApp or FaceTime on Apple iPhone are usually preferable as they provide a more simplistic and reliable connection method.
September 19, 2019

Skype Review

Skype is being used by multiple departments within the organization. The main use for Skype is communication between team members and for internal conversations among teams. It's convenient and quick to find and contact partners within the teams and company.
  • Chat interface is very simple and easy to work with.
  • Video call quality is usually stable, with minor failures.
  • Easily integrates with the company Outlook mailing list, where all team members are easily found.
  • Group chat is not that flexible, so it's not able to compete with similar tools like Slack for example.
  • Performance is not amazing, it may be slow at times.
  • Although the interface is simple, it has room for improvement since it looks outdated.
Well suited for a one-on-one chat and video calls, but I would recommend supplying Skype with another tool that provides more flexibility.
We use Skype for internal communication. It is primarily used for communications between teams to send instant messages. It is also used for discussing issues while doing the integration for end-to-end testing by making use of screen sharing. When using screen share, it is easier to find bugs/defects in the code which helps a lot.
  • It's a good communication tool.
  • Instant messaging.
  • Screen sharing and collaboration.
  • Loading time.
  • Sometimes the application freezes.
  • While using the system remotely, it takes longer to restart the app.
It is used for communicating with other colleagues and works best for instant communication. It is also used for screen sharing, which helps in collaboration with other teams during end-to-end testing scenarios. It is less appropriate if you are presenting in front of the team and someone pings you for something in the middle of the meeting. It should have a feature to avoid those scenarios.
September 15, 2019

Skype lives up to the hype!

Our company does not do a lot of web conferencing so Skype has worked out really well for us and it's free. We use it for sales meetings for the most part as we all tend to be in different places and sometimes need to be able to show someone something and not just tell them about it. The other most common usage for us would be when a new client wants to put a face to the name.
  • Super easy to use. Download the app and you're ready to go. We use the group video chat feature the most. quite often when having a sales meeting we have one person at home, another out in the field, maybe another at a doctor appointment, and then another in the office, and almost always one is driving. This allows us all to participate, get valuable information from each other right when you need to.
  • I had a really big meeting once and was on my way to the meeting when there was a huge accident on the freeway and I was stuck! Traffic was stopped, no way to get over or get off the freeway. So I called my prospective client and let him know what was happening and asked him if he minded doing a meeting over Skype. Long story short, I got the account. Eventually, I made it there in person to complete our meeting, but thanks to Skype I was able to save the deal.
  • Like anything really great, it slows down your computer. I'm not a techy person, but my guess is it uses a lot of space on the computer.
  • I have heard their firewalls are not the best and that people have hacked other peoples passwords and such, but personally I have not had this happen.
  • At one time I had trouble using it in quite a few areas around town, but that has improved.
I would say it is well suited for any time that you really need to use your personality/body language to get your point across. Words are not always enough alone, you need the visual. I would say do not use it in a crowded noisy place. Not everyone around you wants to be in on your meeting. It's not very private.
We use Skype for day-to-day conversations. Since we have offices in various remote locations across the country, it helps us connect easier and faster. Also very easy to use to set up an audio and/or video conversation if we need to talk which avoids having to remember a lot of phone numbers and extensions. Very efficient in that regards.
  • Quick video call
  • Send documents
  • Group conversations
  • Audio is an issue for me every time I organize an audio call. I have to go in my settings and specify my audio output which is very annoying
  • Personally, I am one that loves to use emojis to build rapport and I find the app is very limited in that aspect
  • Not too sure if the possibility is there to record a session via Skype meeting but that would be great
  • Group conversations with split screens so people can work in teams
Well suited for day to day conversations or seeing if a peer is out of a meeting or available. You can connect quickly for a chat online if using video which can be very helpful to clarify discussions. Great that you can also connect using your mobile device and stay in touch on the go. Has served me multiple times at the cottage.
September 12, 2019

Skype or hype?

Skype for business is being used across our organization. We are at varying maturity levels of feature utilization with a roadmap to expand the Skype for Business use to include more features in the near future. We utilize Skype for Business for meetings and general collaboration internally and externally with partners and peers.
  • Easy to use.
  • Fast.
  • Agile.
  • It crashes, especially on mobile.
  • Sync between mobile and desktop can be problematic.
For peer to peer collaboration, Skype for Business works very well. Group meetings work well with Skype for Business also, but, it can get buggy with larger groups of people. In the conference rooms, without a proper setup, Skype for Business is difficult to use and get going for our meetings.
We mainly use Skype for:
  • Internal video calls and screen sharing.
  • Easy and affordable tool for foreign calls (you can purchase a small credit for every user, so he can make foreign calls from everywhere at affordable prices).
  • Get a local phone number for customers (but it is not perfect, see cons).
  • Voice quality is good
  • Multi-platform (PC, tablet, phone)
  • All attendees of the call must have an account.
  • Screen sharing in the standard version doesn't have enough options (you might want to share only a specific window).
  • You must log in to Skype if you want to check if you have a voice mail (getting an email alert would be a good solution).
Well suited scenarios:
  • Foreign calls from everywhere at affordable prices.
  • Get a local phone number for customers.
  • One on one calls between Skype users.
Less appropriate scenarios:
  • Multiple user calls (when you just want to share a link).
  • Calls with users that do not have an account.
  • Screen sharing might be tricky.
  • Get an email notification for voice mail.
September 10, 2019

Good for the money

Skype is used to interview parents and potential employees for the school. We use it in place of FaceTime for professional reasons. It allows us to meet parents who are coming from abroad to our school. It addresses the distance issue for potential students where they can already e-meet their teachers before even starting school.
  • It is a mobile application that can be used for voice and video calls which we use often.
  • It allows for file sharing between callers.
  • It allows the admissions staff to conduct one-on-one assessments.
  • I am not confident that it is a secure app, as I use it effectively in business. It is difficult to see if things are archived or fully deleted.
  • It does not allow us to do large conference type calls, especially video.
  • You can't do screen-sharing unless it exists and I haven't figured it out yet.
It is well suited for situations where you have to interview a person when they are in a different state or country. Although companies will use it to avoid human contact, it is less effective when using it in a situation where the meeting could have been in person. For quick catch-ups with visuals or day-long conferences, Skype is a hero because it allows for two offices or persons to work together in long-distance.
Skype is used by almost everyone in the organization. It allows us to communicate with external clients, vendors and partners. We have had good success with Skype being a tool to having virtual meetings. We have had conversations with users around the world. It is a tool that is widely used!
  • Chat
  • Voice
  • Video
  • Recording
  • Sharing
  • Reporting
Skype is well suited in scenarios where one needs to speak with someone or a group of people that are in different locations. It works well internationally and across the US. It is less appropriate when users are in the same room, they should simply have a normal conversation in person rather than using Skype.
September 27, 2019

Business Type Skype Review

We use Skype For Business for our whole company as an internal communication tool. It is mainly used for quick chat and screen sharing sometimes. It is also used by team members to discuss issue together.
  • Quick and easy to chat with people
  • Can start a group talk and work together quickly
  • Its mobile app's looking seems quite different from the PC client
Quick chat with someone. Start a quick "meeting" with related people from different places/teams/groups. Would be better if it has the voice option.
September 25, 2019

Great screen sharing tool!

We use Skype on a regular basis to interact, chat and set meetings with our clients. We often have connection issues, but overall Skype mainly serves us well.
  • Document and content sharing
  • Screen sharing
  • Multiple participants meetings
  • Group activities
  • 4G connection and video
I prefer to use Skype for one on one meetings and chats. I think the group meetings are a bit confusing, especially around forming groups and starting a call.

High quality audio (69)
High quality video (67)
Low bandwidth requirements (66)
6.7
Mobile support (59)
Desktop sharing (60)
Whiteboards (25)
Calendar integration (39)
Meeting initiation (52)
Integrates with social media (31)
Record meetings / events (31)
Slideshows (32)
Live chat (58)
Audience polling (27)
Q&A (26)
User authentication (48)
Participant roles & permissions (42)
Confidential attendee list (29)

About Skype

Skype (the personal edition) is a free web meeting, video conferencing, and VoIP software. The free version includes instant messaging, audio and video Skype-to-Skype calls, the ability to call mobile phones and landlines, paid international calling, and conference calling capabilities for up to 25 people. During video sessions, users also have the option to share their screen with other participants. Other distinctive features include background blurring, voice and text translation, location share, conversation search, and integration with Microsoft's Digital Assistant, Cortana.

This version of Skype works on phones, desktop, tablet, browsers, Alexa, and Xbox. Users can call landlines and mobile phones from around the world by paying for Skype Credit or signing up for Skype subscriptions, a monthly contract for users who only need service to specific regions. Users can also pay to have a local phone number through Skype Numbers, so that they can answer phone calls from their desktops, tablets, or smartphones. They can also send SMS text messages and share their location using the Skype mobile app.