Skype (the personal edition) is a free web or video conferencing and VoIP software. The free version includes free audio and video Skype-to-Skype calls, ability to call mobile phones and landlines, paid international calling, and conference calling capabilities for up to 25 people.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/qJ/Wv/F01LBWLMDIHG.JPEGAn All Around Good Communications ToolWe use Skype to communicate externally with other peer organizations. Notably we have also used Skype to communicate with job applicants in other countries. As a large organization I am sure that other offices are using Skype on campus. Skype fills a void for a reliable face to face communication platform that makes it feel like you are having a casual conversation with others without the need to be present. In a previous role I used Skype's chat or instant messaging features but no longer use that functionality. It worked well when I used it but it is my understanding they have beefed up this functionality.,It does video calling very well. You can share files easily over the platform. The chat / instant messaging feature was robust. It's very accessible. Users on many platforms can use it. It is reliable. I have not had issues with uptime or charshing.,I think that often people are confused on what usage or functions will cost them money to use. Everyone is concerned about security and safety these days. I don't conduct secret business over Skype but I've heard there may be some concerns about this issue if you are thinking of using it for sensitive information. Chat history gets deleted after a certain point so if keeping years long records is something that you are looking to do consider saving chunks off from time to time.,10,My department does not use Skype in a way that would be seen as generating a return on investment but for what the product does it is a good value. It really closes the distance gap in working with offices that are far away. Conference calls can be so soul crushing, this is a much better option. The only negative impact is that it is not the only video conferencing tool that I use. Given that it is not as strong of a multi user platform I can't say that it may cover every need that every office would have.,Google Hangouts, Join.me, WebEx Meetings and GoToMeeting,Join.me, Google Hangouts, WebEx Meetings,No,Price Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation Prior Experience with the Product,I think we had a really solid selection process. We brainstormed different products for video communications and then did some Google searching as well to see what might exist that we had not heard of. After we got the list together I went out and wrote up a summary of the pros and cons of each one. We met back after that and talked through the prospects and landed on using a mix of Skype, Google Hangouts, and GoToMeeting depending on the situation.Increasing Meaningful and Stable Connections with SkypeSkype is being used by the entire University. We did not use Skype when I first began at UNT, but over time, all phones were digitized and linked through Skype on our computers. Skype helps our employees to be more efficient during the work day by reducing the amount of time it takes to contact other employees, schedule meetings, or determine someone's availability.,Outlook Calendar Integration - Skype is connected to my Outlook Calendar and shows my availability to other users through the instant message function and also sends meeting reminders to the screen of my office phone. This allows me to keep track of my schedule but also allows my colleagues to know if I am available or not, how long I have been away, and when I will return. Phone and Video Conference calls - Skype was my go-to for video conference calls even before my company purchased it for all our users. Now I get the added bonus of all the business functions and Outlook integration. I could start a single user video call in seconds and initiate it through the instant message function. Group conference calls are also now made easier through Skype. We don't all need to register for additional systems or accounts, like Google, to be able to facilitate a conference call. Skype Missed Calls and Voicemail - One of my favorite things about Skype is the missed call and voicemail notifications I receive through my email. I am much more likely to notice missed calls and actually listen to voicemails. I no longer have to call in to my phone to listen to voicemail, I can check it quickly as I empty my email inbox. Skype Rolodex - Looking up phone numbers for my colleagues across campus used to be very time consuming if their numbers were not on our website. through Skype, I can look up anyone's phone number and place a call in a matter of seconds.,Speed Dial - When using the speed dial function through my phone, which is determined by my favorites in Skype messenger, there is an occasional error in the call. Even though I am using the speed dial for phone, the call will register for the recipient through their computer and they cannot answer on their landline. I then have to hang up and manually dial their number. Video Call Quality - While the ease of setting up a conference call is there, the quality of the video calls could still be improved. The audio runs without issue but the quality of the video can still become grainy, pixellated, or frozen. User Name Incongruity - The list of contacts on Skype messenger is not congruent in the way it lists users. Some users are listed by email, some are listed by a user name, and some are listed by last name and first name. This is not a glaring issue, but I am not familiar with some user names, which results in having to do a manual look up for some people. It would be easier if they were all able to be listed by first and last name.,9,Faster Client Response - Because I am able to check my missed calls and voicemails through my email with Skype, I end up with a faster responses rate to my clients both in and out of the office. I check my messages with my email and return calls faster than before I had Skype. It also makes it quick and easy to check my voicemail through email on my cell phone while away from the office. I no longer have to call into my office landline to check messages! Quicker Client Connection - One of the most common occurrences in our business is that one employee will need to make referrals for a student or client to another employee in our organization. In the past these referrals have been cumbersome and have not always led to eventual connection of the client to another employee. We would send them across campus to another office in hopes that the employee was available, or with an email or phone number and hope that they took the initiative to reach out. With the instant messenger and the video call function, we are able to contact employees across campus immediately so that clients can talk face to face with with their point of referral. More Efficient Business Model - This is a goal of our organization for the upcoming year. Skype has already helped us to progress in this goal by reducing the amount of time spent on unnecessary communications and processes. In the past, at a business with thousands of employees, we were forced to look up internal phone numbers on our website or through the phone roster. Now, I can look up phone numbers and email addresses through Skype messenger almost instantly, in addition to being able to send an instant message. I can also view other employees' schedules and availability through Skype messenger, instead of having to comb through Outlook. This helps me schedule calls and meetings more quickly than I have been able to before I started using Skype.,Google Hangouts,Skype for Business (formerly Lync), Polycom RealPresence Group Series, Google HangoutsWhen you need to connect, but can’t in person.I use Skype to contact and work with other artists when they don’t have Apple products. I use it for interviews when a job far away needs to interview me face to face. I also use it for contacting my family who live far away.,I think it is a great too for connecting with family and building professional relationships. I think it is a tool that provides convenience because you can skype whenever is suitable for you. I think it is easily accessible to call and connect. I like that the Skype can be free depending on your needs. Useful to connect to all no matter what system they use Sndroid, PC, or Mac.,I’ve definitely have had connection and picture issues with the software even when the internet was good. I don’t like that some calls were dropped or interrupted at random. If someone does have an Apple product, it is faster and easier to use Facetime, as no logging in is required.,9,The Skype interviews I have had were successful and there weren’t any issues connecting. Still finding calls to sometimes have bad connection that interferes with getting to the conversation. I wish paid features weren’t highly encouraged while I’m connecting with family.,,MailChimpSkype Is the Online Communication StandardI've been using Skype well before I started using social media. And through Skype, I've been able to meet so many friends and eventual customers. If not for Skype, my business wouldn't of gotten its foot in the door. I've spent countless hours talking with potential customers about my products through Skype's online audio and video calling. Customers sometimes want to talk with a human whether it be via voice and or voice and video. And since PC to PC calling is free, no one is charged a dime and I can converse with potential customers for however long I need to.,Skype's call quality for video and audio is very good, although this depends on your internet connection speed. Skype's file sharing feature is incredible as well. Not all customers want to give out or even have an email address. So if you need to send the customer a document or perhaps even a trial version of your product, you can send them those with Skype's file sharing feature.,Sometimes the connection quality and strength is not good, but that is rare and that issue is dependent on the internet connection of both users. Other than that, Skype is great!,10,I really don't like giving out my personal cell phone number. So with Skype, I don't have too and I can still talk with potential customers via voice only or video and voice all for free. This alone, makes Skype a must have for any business period!,Facebook for Business,Facebook for BusinessBest gateway for video conferences.Skype is the best platform through which the whole company gets connected for meetings in quick succession.,Skype provides a secure and transparent medium for multi-team collaboration. Skype provides a platform for sharing data for representation via video conferences for business meetings. Skype is the best gateway for video conferences in a dependable, productive, and secure environment.,International calls via Skype sometimes disconnect, which is annoying. Video conferences via Skype cost much more when compared to other video conferencing software. Problems with editing phone contacts are much frequent in Skype's latest version.,8,Skype totally has a positive impact on business, as video conferences with multi-team collaboration is easy and secure. International connections sometimes get disconnected, which creates a negative impact on meetings. High data cost creates a large bill, but it's worth it. Skype is the only way.,UberConference,Zoom
Skype

Skype Reviews

Skype
Filter 1481 vetted Skype reviews and ratings
Jason Hartigan profile photo
December 09, 2018

Skype Review: "An All Around Good Communications Tool"

• It does video calling very well.
  • You can share files easily over the platform.
  • The chat / instant messaging feature was robust.
  • It's very accessible. Users on many platforms can use it.
  • It is reliable. I have not had issues with uptime or charshing.
  • I think that often people are confused on what usage or functions will cost them money to use.
  • Everyone is concerned about security and safety these days. I don't conduct secret business over Skype but I've heard there may be some concerns about this issue if you are thinking of using it for sensitive information.
  • Chat history gets deleted after a certain point so if keeping years long records is something that you are looking to do consider saving chunks off from time to time.
If you want to be able to communicate quickly and easily for personal or professional reasons Skype is a great solution. It offers the ability to feel like you are in the same place. It also allows you to communicate quickly and concisely if you don't want to bother with a full video and audio setup. I don't think it is well suited for chatting with multiple people at once. The maximum number of people you can get together is 10. We found it much easier to go with Google Hangouts for smaller group calls because it was free and GoToMeeting for larger groups. GoToMeeting also had a fee but was well suited for such environments.
Read Jason Hartigan's full review
Kathleen E. Hobson profile photo
December 08, 2018

Review: "Increasing Meaningful and Stable Connections with Skype"

• Outlook Calendar Integration - Skype is connected to my Outlook Calendar and shows my availability to other users through the instant message function and also sends meeting reminders to the screen of my office phone. This allows me to keep track of my schedule but also allows my colleagues to know if I am available or not, how long I have been away, and when I will return.
  • Phone and Video Conference calls - Skype was my go-to for video conference calls even before my company purchased it for all our users. Now I get the added bonus of all the business functions and Outlook integration. I could start a single user video call in seconds and initiate it through the instant message function. Group conference calls are also now made easier through Skype. We don't all need to register for additional systems or accounts, like Google, to be able to facilitate a conference call.
  • Skype Missed Calls and Voicemail - One of my favorite things about Skype is the missed call and voicemail notifications I receive through my email. I am much more likely to notice missed calls and actually listen to voicemails. I no longer have to call in to my phone to listen to voicemail, I can check it quickly as I empty my email inbox.
  • Skype Rolodex - Looking up phone numbers for my colleagues across campus used to be very time consuming if their numbers were not on our website. through Skype, I can look up anyone's phone number and place a call in a matter of seconds.
  • Speed Dial - When using the speed dial function through my phone, which is determined by my favorites in Skype messenger, there is an occasional error in the call. Even though I am using the speed dial for phone, the call will register for the recipient through their computer and they cannot answer on their landline. I then have to hang up and manually dial their number.
  • Video Call Quality - While the ease of setting up a conference call is there, the quality of the video calls could still be improved. The audio runs without issue but the quality of the video can still become grainy, pixellated, or frozen.
  • User Name Incongruity - The list of contacts on Skype messenger is not congruent in the way it lists users. Some users are listed by email, some are listed by a user name, and some are listed by last name and first name. This is not a glaring issue, but I am not familiar with some user names, which results in having to do a manual look up for some people. It would be easier if they were all able to be listed by first and last name.
Skype is best suited for businesses or companies in which employees are required to do a lot of desk work, and who make a lot of internal phone or video calls, conference calls, or that can utilize the instant messaging function. Skype would seem most worth the cost for a company with more than 50 employees, but could be useful for smaller businesses if they still plan to utilize Skype's functions. Smaller companies with few employees, or companies who do not have employees at desks consistently would not be able to utilize Skype to the best of its capacity.
Read Kathleen E. Hobson's full review
Sarah Lightman profile photo
December 03, 2018

Skype Review: "When you need to connect, but can’t in person."

• I think it is a great too for connecting with family and building professional relationships.
  • I think it is a tool that provides convenience because you can skype whenever is suitable for you.
  • I think it is easily accessible to call and connect.
  • I like that the Skype can be free depending on your needs.
  • Useful to connect to all no matter what system they use Sndroid, PC, or Mac.
  • I’ve definitely have had connection and picture issues with the software even when the internet was good.
  • I don’t like that some calls were dropped or interrupted at random.
  • If someone does have an Apple product, it is faster and easier to use Facetime, as no logging in is required.
I had an interview with a company that was South East and I am based in Los Angeles. We were able to connect and communicate clearly with Skype. I have also connected with family easily on Skype. This allowed my family to see and understand me better than just with text or phone.

However, I have sometimes been contacted by robot accounts and strangers before that weren’t pleasant conversations.
Read Sarah Lightman's full review
Daryl Wise Jr. profile photo
November 02, 2018

Review: "Skype Is the Online Communication Standard"

• Skype's call quality for video and audio is very good, although this depends on your internet connection speed.
  • Skype's file sharing feature is incredible as well. Not all customers want to give out or even have an email address. So if you need to send the customer a document or perhaps even a trial version of your product, you can send them those with Skype's file sharing feature.
  • Sometimes the connection quality and strength is not good, but that is rare and that issue is dependent on the internet connection of both users.
  • Other than that, Skype is great!
I really don't like giving out my personal cell phone number but sometimes, your customers need to talk with you, not email you. So with Skype, I don't have to give out my number and I can still talk with potential customers via voice only or video and voice, all for free. This alone makes Skype invaluable and essential for any business needing a free solution for online support.
Read Daryl Wise Jr.'s full review
Priyanshu Kumar profile photo
October 22, 2018

Skype Review: "Best gateway for video conferences."

• Skype provides a secure and transparent medium for multi-team collaboration.
  • Skype provides a platform for sharing data for representation via video conferences for business meetings.
  • Skype is the best gateway for video conferences in a dependable, productive, and secure environment.
  • International calls via Skype sometimes disconnect, which is annoying.
  • Video conferences via Skype cost much more when compared to other video conferencing software.
  • Problems with editing phone contacts are much frequent in Skype's latest version.
Skype is best suited for multiple team collaboration via video conferencing in real time.
Skype does not fit for private instant chats via video/audio conferences.
Read Priyanshu Kumar's full review
Miguel Brito profile photo
October 12, 2018

Skype Review: "The best software to make video calls"

Skype is a very simple and easy to use program, which allows us to have contact with people who through the chat, a call or video call. We use this program to communicate with clients of our company, to follow up on the product offered, or to communicate if any of the parties needs information. We currently use Skype for work and contact with customers, our Executive Director and the communication department. The rest of the team uses it for purely personal purposes. This program has allowed us to have a way of knowing what our customers think of the product we offer. Our company is a Party Services Provider and, in several occasions, we have communicated with our clients in this way to reach an established address.
  • I like that this program has a chat, with which I can chat with friends, family and clients, with whom I communicate daily. It is a simple and fun way to chat with people.
  • The calls are good and if you have wi-fi or a good data signal, you can hear them well. If you want to communicate with someone who is in a country other than yours, you can simply call them and the result will be very good.
  • Video calls, in my opinion, is the best thing about this program. You can make a video call in the tranquility of your home, or if you go out, you can do it with a tablet or from your cell phone. If you are in a place sharing with friends or clients, and you want to show it to someone, you can simply do it. It's amazing the things that this program lets you do.
  • Well, calling a home phone is difficult and they charge you. I think if that company wants to compete even more, you should check this.
  • Skype depends on the signal to the internet. Sometimes the platform does not adapt well to the phones that have a simple internet signal, that is, those telephones that are not connected through a Wi-Fi network.
  • The sound is sometimes not the best. Many people I know have complained about this, because they say that when they are making a call or video call, they do not listen well to what the other person is telling them. This is not always, but it has happened to me.
The best scenario for Skype is when you need to communicate with someone, with urgency, and that person is far from you. It can be a relative who is very far away from you or a client that you need to attend to close a deal. This tool can be the perfect solution if you know how to take advantage of it, because you will be able to maintain a good conversation and obtain the desired result. A scenario that can become annoying is when your phone or tablet signal is of poor quality. At that time it is better to use the chat, it is time of the call or video call.
Read Miguel Brito's full review
November 08, 2018

Skype: "Complete solution for audiovisual conferencing in corporate"

It is used by almost every department in my organization. I use it for client meetings in the credit department. It makes communication very convenient with my outstation and NRI clients. Sometimes I need to present proposals to my clients, and this is not very effective through phone calls, so I use Skype for making those video calls.
  • One of the fastest connecting communication systems.
  • Screen sharing feature is very helpful for remote access.
  • It delivers the best audio/video quality during conference calls.
  • It gets updates very frequently and sometimes it is very annoying.
  • Unavailability of free voicemail box. It's paid and slightly expensive.
  • Its parent company's terms and conditions are something which I don't trust completely. I am always suspicious about my privacy.
I use this application in many scenarios. Many times I use it when I talk to my Outstation and NRI clients. It's easy to teach them about my products through video calls. Sometimes I use Skype while taking interviews for Outstation applicants. It is also very well suited during work from home scenarios. I use it to communicate with my colleagues.
December 09, 2018

Skype Review: "Excellent communication tool"

We have used other software for informal communications, and Skype is superior to them because of its many features. It includes built-in screen sharing, and training or visual communication with other sites is much easier now.
  • Chatting
  • File transfer
  • Conference calling
  • Unusually high system resource requirement
  • Integration with other accounts (e.g non-Microsoft)
Skype is fantastic for exchanging ideas with colleagues that are located at another site. Sometimes you just want to have a printed document in front of you and point out specific areas in a discussion. The screen sharing functionality eliminates the need for a more formal WebEx-type presentation.
December 08, 2018

Skype Review: "Great tool for collab in smaller environments"

I used Skype at my old company. We loved the ability to IM, the Outlook calendar integration, the ability to meet on demand or schedule future meetings. The emoticons were hit for our emoji lovers. We used it across the entire company, in which we had both remote employees and those working at headquarters. It made conversations easier.
  • Real-time collaboration
  • Notifications
  • Meetings
  • Security
  • Modernization
  • Sleek UI
Skype is great for one-to-one, maybe one-to-5 ratio for communication. When you get many more folks in a room/on a phone call, there tends to be a lot of noise, literally and figuratively. Appropriate for smaller companies, <500 employees. Much more than that, and it becomes hard to manage.
December 06, 2018

Skype Review: "Great for multiple-country use"

Skype is heavily used by our nonprofit. We have program offices in ten countries so it is the most affordable option for all of our staff to communicate with each other.
  • Allows country to country communication.
  • Provides free and paid versions. (Skype Free and Skype for Business).
  • Has messaging and calling features.
  • Has ability to call multiple people at once.
  • It doesn't have a voicemail service.
  • It doesn't record past calls.
Skype is ideal for an organization/company that has people in different countries.
Luis Eduardo Canache Guzman profile photo
April 16, 2018

User Review: "Skype for All - Business and Personal"

I am a community manager of my group, Skype works perfectly in my area, since with the program I can make conferences from anywhere in the world and keep in touch with clients and future members of the organization, it solves problems of distance and schedules.
  • I am about 6 years into using it and since the day I installed it, I have used it regularly, it seems easy to use and a nice program, it allows me to be in contact with relatives and members of my organization, I think the biggest benefit of Skype is the facility to be able to add your mail contacts without problems, besides that it is already available for mobile which makes it more accessible and available at any time you need it. It not only allows me to make conferences, but send and receive files without problem.
  • It is not a heavy program for the computer and it does not use much computer power to perform its tasks, it does not have advertising within the application, referring to other companies or something for style, so that also makes it pleasant.
  • It is a fast program, with stable connection and good image quality in video calls
  • I think they could improve the stability of the connection in some places, but generally it works well, it is quite stable.
  • I do not know if it exists, but they could make a lighter version for cell phones, in some less current devices, it might slow down.
  • Maybe adding a button to send email directly from the program would be a good idea.
I think that Skype is appropriate for those occasions in which it is necessary to maintain a direct contact and in real time with people of interest, either at a business level or at a personal level. Some case in which it would not be appropriate, sincerely at the moment I can not think of any place where it is not appropriate since the function of the program is directed to communication.
Read Luis Eduardo Canache Guzman's full review
Luca Campanelli profile photo
February 09, 2018

Skype Review: "Communication first of all"

In my organization, Skype is used as a working tool to communicate both through company departments in a simple and effective way without necessarily resorting to the use of the telephone and to communicate with external or foreign offices without any kind of problem whether through chat or VoIP calls.
  • Calls via Voip without packet loss
  • Screen sharing
  • Instant messaging
  • The interface is ancient now could be a bit 'modernized
  • Sometimes it disconnects and fails to connect if you have not logged out before
  • Screen sharing does not allow dual monitors
The reasons for using Skype are many:
  • If you are a single user you can make low-cost VoIP calls especially if you have friends or relatives abroad
  • You can share your screen if you have to show a program or some features on your pc for work
  • For instant messaging and for creating discussion groups it's fast and functional
Read Luca Campanelli's full review
March 02, 2018

Review: "Skype for large corporation instant messaging"

Our organization currently uses Skype as our official instant messaging application. Instant Messaging is a huge part of our communication amongst teams to both save time and have more efficiency. We need the ability to go in and out of chats quickly, screen share on and off frequently, add individuals to chat groups and remove them, and share files quickly. Skype meets all of these qualifications and more.
  • The tabbed chat window is great when you have a lot of conversations going on at once. For example, if throughout the day you talk to 15 people through skype all of your conversations will be tabbed out in your chat window and turn orange when that individual sends you another message
  • For screen sharing it takes literally no time to just share your screen very quickly. You can also give others on the call control of the screen so they can move the mouse and show things on your screen remotely.
  • Your conversation history can be integrated to store in your outlook inbox so after a certain amount of time (~ 5 minutes is what I have it set to) your conversation will be saved to your inbox under a conversation history tab so you can go back and reference old conversations.
  • The conversation history, although a great feature, sometimes does not save your conversation as expected so you do not have it to reference down the line
  • If you have a window with a bunch of conversation tabs and you try and add a person to a conversation it goes out of that conversation and you have to find it in your tab window again. This is not a big deal but just can be a pain to find the conversation again.
  • When in an email in outlook it would be nice if you could reply all with IM (Skype) for that email. Currently, you can only reply with IM to the sender not the whole email chain.
This software is suited for an organization that is fast-paced with a lot of back to back meetings where you have to constantly be multitasking. If your organization is an IT shop or a group that constantly needs to be sharing your screen to show with others this is the software for you.
February 07, 2018

User Review: "Skype is the Real Deal!"

Skype is used by the CRM team which consists of three users. Other users in our marketing department use this as well to bring the total to around 10. Almost all of these members are working remotely so we use Skype daily for 90% of our video conferencing calls. In the CRM department, we use Skype for all video and phone calls. Calling and chatting with this service is the best we have used and we have tried out a number of video conferencing platforms over the years. It is a great product.
  • Video conferencing is the best we have used. It is consistently clear even on connections that are less than ideal.
  • Chatting is easy and the notifications are great. Easy to pick up and use.
  • The mobile app is really well done as well and good when you are not at your computer.
  • Using Skype to make phone calls is something that is not used as much anymore but still a great service.
  • Integrating with Chrome to make phone calls is not easy in the beginning.
  • The Windows 10 version of Skype can be a little confusing and we found we downgraded to an older version to bring functionality back.
  • The grouping for members was not something that we used and was problematic at first.
Skype is very well suited to teams working remotely. We use this as our primary chat and video conference call service and have not regretted it. It might be less appropriate in a setting where your team is in cubicles. Though even there you can use the chat feature to get a quick question answered with coworkers or to discretely message someone.
February 27, 2018

User Review: "Skype for day to day use"

We utilize skype mainly for the instant messaging and the screen sharing capabilities. This allows individuals within our organization to quickly talk to each other without having to draft an email and wait for a response or call the person. This allows for individuals within the organization to multitask much easier throughout the day.
  • Very easy to screen share
  • Easy to add individuals to group chats
  • The skype meetings extremely useful within and outside of our organization
  • The video chat interaction is not ideal. The video of each person is very small.
Suited for Skype meetings where you can chat and share individuals screens. This tool is very useful for day to day chat sessions among co-workers.
December 04, 2017

"Skype Review"

Skype is being used by several people in our organization on a need to use basis. Some in IT use it as a way to communicate and collaborate and swap files without having to have a physical meeting or conversation in a consolidated location.
  • Skype is great as in inter and intra office communications tool. The users do not have to leave what they are doing to do a quick chat with someone.
  • Video calls is a nice feature that can be done while at the desk to see each person in the conversation. It makes for a more personal for of communications.
  • There is a mobile app for Skype, so if you away from your desk you can still get in on the call, chat, meeting, and conference.
  • I think it needs to also be able to operate as a full SMS client. Especially from the mobile app.
Group and individual person chat and messaging in both text, audio, and video.
September 08, 2017

Skype Review: "Ease of communication Across Borders"

Skype is great to easily connect with people across the country or on another continent. It's great because you can easily video chat for meetings, which is nice to be able to chat face to face even if you're not physically in the same room. In addition, it's easy to send documents for work over Skype to share with co-workers if you're collaborating. Lastly, what's great is you can share your screen on Skype, so if you're having technical difficulties or want to show something on your screen to people who you're talking with its a great feature.
  • Video Conferencing
  • Clear audio
  • Screen Sharing
  • File sharing
  • Voicemail
  • Reaching people across continents
  • Some document types or sizes won't send
  • Not all features are free to use
  • If internet quality is bad between parties it will impact your call/video conference significantly
Skype is great for a video conference and catching up with a team you're working on a project with. You can see everyone's faces, and you can easily share documents and share screens to make sure everyone is on the same page and understands what's being done. Because of these features, it really promotes collaboration and productivity in the work environment overall, since it makes it much easier to communicate with groups across business locations.
Sujoy Sarkar profile photo
March 30, 2017

User Review: "Skype use with Multiple callers"

We purchased the NewTek Talkshow 4000 which does full HD Skype with 4 simultaneous callers without delays and full quality over 90 percent of the time. It also has the capability of increasing the resources of the computers the callers are using to enhance the transmission quality. We are currently going through some testing at this time. I do have something to talk about though, the latest Microsoft Update for the Skype TX, has a bug. It lets you log in your ID but comes up with a .dll file is missing a file and then just spins for the rest of the day. As a result, I have not updated any other machine but my test machine. We really need to check the bugs out with any Microsoft product before using it on our main systems. That is why we have the test machine. Other than that, I am anxious to start using the new system with our production equipment in our studio.
  • Quality is improved for both Audio and Video now (Using the NewTek 4000)
  • 4 - simultaneous callers
  • Ability to tweak the callers system to enhance transmission quality by increasing resources.
  • Software updates must be free of bugs. The current update for Skype TX has frozen my test system after the update. "DLL" file missing.
  • Voice quality controls could be improved.
  • Easier way of adding callers when we are having multiple callers.
Best Case: Panel discussions about current topics from all over the country.
Worse Case: Trying to connect with cell phones. Laptops and desktops are the best.
Read Sujoy Sarkar's full review
Premkumar Thangarajan profile photo
March 29, 2017

Review: "Skype connects you and makes collaboration on the go!"

Skype is used by whole IT department as part of a collaboration solution to speed up the resolution of the technical/business problem in a timely manner. By sharing the desktop with the technical team and discussing via voice chat, it gives a personal touch and helps to speed up the resolution and bring everyone on the same page quickly. The tools aid us and help to address priority 1 and 2 severity technical issues as part of the incident management.
  • Solving a problem via sharing a desktop (audio/video) to a remote client in a different continent makes a huge difference.
  • The Skype for Business extension on mobile devices does make communicating even more far reaching while on transit on buses, trains and planes.
  • We had a situation while addressing a priority 1 issue, where Outlook was not working for a technical person who was working to help address the problem. So she was not able to open the document in the email since Outlook was crashing and the document had the instruction on how to perform the activity. So instead of waiting, the project manager was able to copy and paste the document in the chat window for the technical person. The technical person was able to accept and view the document quickly via MS WORD rather than fixing the Outlook issue.
  • Skype sometimes is slow to open when we are starting to join a meeting. They can look into optimizing a quick startup like Google search in Google Chrome by removing the bells and whistles while starting up.
  • Skype for Business on the web and the desktop sometimes overlap and open at the same time in two different windows. There needs to be kind of some intelligence when a window is already open. They should just reuse the open window or ask for a prompt. For example, Notepad++ does not open a new window but just adds a tab to the existing window for the new document and does it quickly. In contrast, Notepad does a lousy job and opens many [sessions] of the same document and it is hard to keep which the latest update open and sometimes it overwrites the bad ones into the good ones.
  • Skype can provide some plugin tools to allow other collaboration products such as WebEx and GoToMeeting to seamlessly integrate with Skype.
Skype is useful for collaboration when it's needed as a team. But while working independently to address a complex problem, it diverts the focus on the issue at hand due to distraction from others [that] sometimes becomes unavoidable in a business environment.
Read Premkumar Thangarajan's full review
Dawn Solomon profile photo
March 24, 2017

User Review: "Skype Me Now!"

Skype is used as an instant messenger as well as a video call, a sharing session, even a recording of a process if necessary. I use Skype several times a day to coordinate efforts of work with remote consultants or co-workers. It works great to record information gathering sessions so they can be referenced later. I also use Skype to communicate where I'm working from and we integrated it with Microsoft Outlook so we can see if somebody is out of the office right away looking at the message that is coming from Outlook. It keeps us all connected and holds people accountable if it is recorded. The recordings can be listened to my managers or project leaders so they can understand any potential issues related to the project being worked.
  • It is quick and you can give control, etc. You can do all the same things you can do with WebEx but you aren't paying for the service by the minute!
  • You can call using your computer so it is nice you don't have to hold a phone or have a software that provides your phone on your PC.
  • You can record sessions to validate processes and communications. Can hold members accountable if they are recording and utilizing the tools by publishing the recordings.
  • Can quickly notify somebody of something or quick ask a question if that person is available.
  • Can set to do not disturb, can set your location. Great communication tool all the way around!
  • Sometimes it is difficult to hear, there is an echo if the computer is used forcing to reconnect frequently to improve quality.
  • It would be nice if everybody utilized the tool. We still have several pockets of people that don't like the technology or that don't want to be interrupted or bothered with an instant message, they see it as annoying. I think it people realized the benefits, they would use it and when they can't respond, they simply don't - it is their decision! I think more knowledge is necessary to take this on as an organization.
  • I wish there was a way to clear the 'missed' conversations - maybe there is and I just don't know how to use it?
  • I have been recording several of my working sessions with the consultant and have found it takes a while to publish? Also, many people don't know this functionality exists so the more training on the tool, the better!
In working with a consultant and gathering requirements I am able to record the activities on the screen share as well as the conversation we are having. This is allowed to be published as an .mp4 which is accessible by almost anybody e.g. you don't need to have a subscription or a special player to play an .mp4 but you do to run an .arf file from WebEx. This collaboration is extremely important in making sure we are on the same page and that we have something to go back to in case something is understood.
Read Dawn Solomon's full review
Tejashwi Kumar profile photo
March 16, 2017

Review: "Skype - A one stop bet for all professional connectivity requirements"

Skype is used as a primary means of communication across the organization. People use it to communicate as well as share screens. Also it is very very convenient to use Skype for video calls. Also the integration of Skype with Lync makes it all the more valuable for my organization. Also it helps us to get our technical issues sorted by using screen share and the ability to transfer control helps a lot. You can transfer control to the technician and he can do the fix himself so you don't have to scratch your head worrying about where to get the job done.
  • Video calls: The best application for video calls. It automatically adapts to your connection speed and the video call is adjusted accordingly. Also, the clarity of audio and video is great.
  • Communication: It has a great interface for texting. The use of emoticons makes it meaningful to send across your message more effectively.
  • Screenshare and transfer control: You can share your screen and also transfer control to someone who is trying to help you from another system and it is very very convenient.
  • Form groups: You can organize your contacts by forming groups.
  • Calls drops: I think this is inherent in any calling software and there is always room for improvement in this area
  • Interface: Probably Skype can make the user interface more friendly for new users.
  • Pricing plans for premium users can be made more affordable for individual licenses.
Skype is best suited if your organization is large (200+) as it is very effective to communicate. Also, the screen share and transfer control features are very handy. If the number of people is huge in your organization and it's not possible for a few technicians to go to every desk and sort the issue, the this is where the screen share and transfer control features make it very very useful. For individual users, it is not very effective as the pricing plans are also not very cheap for individuals. But yes you can always go for the free license for personal use.
Read Tejashwi Kumar's full review
Donavan Lam, CPA profile photo
March 16, 2017

Review: "Skype - Great for a business environment!"

Skype is being used throughout the organization, as a way to communicate with different staff [members] and outside parties. It is also linked to our contact list which makes finding and locating individuals easy. It allows communication across the company to be more free flowing and the ease of use minimizes training costs.
  • Caller ID
  • Video Call
  • Instant Messenging
  • Missed calls and voicemail can be tracked over email.
  • Better Video Quality
  • More creative content in instant messenging
It is well suited to connect with people inside and outside the organization who have access to skype. The fact that it links to Outlook is extremely helpful. It is not very compatible with other programs so it can be difficult to share projects or collaborate with people who does not have access to Skype.
Read Donavan Lam, CPA's full review
Regina McGrath profile photo
March 31, 2017

"Skype Review"

Skype was being used across the whole organization. It serves as the channel of internal communication between the employees.
  • Screen sharing options are available
  • Very user-friendly GUI.
  • Free-source and incredibly easy to install.
  • It offers little or no access to emergency services.
  • There is no language translation services.
  • Background noises are picked up rather easily.
Skype is very well suited for internal communication within the employees.
Read Regina McGrath's full review
March 30, 2017

Review: "Skype - Organizing your meetings around the world from your office"

Skype is used by my organization to communicate in real time with another department, which is based in Asia. Our marketing and promotion department set up Skype meetings with our graphics and video editing department in order to have the chance to catch up with work at the beginning of each week, or even more than only once a week, depending on the type of work.
  • It lets people text during the call, which is extremely useful if you have to take notes.
  • You can share a screen with the other person, letting him or her see what you want and making it easier to describe things.
  • You can send files and attachments in real time.
  • The quality of the call could always be improved, we are never fully satisfied, but probably this has mainly to do with our Internet connection.
  • Sometimes the user gets stuck on Offline mode and there is no way to turn it online.
  • The mobile version is very slow and heavy.
If you have to get in touch directly with people from other countries and in other time zones, Skype is a great alternative because it lets you communicate immediately with anyone, for free and gives you the chance to talk in person, see each other and share information by sending files.
I wouldn't suggest it for something that has to rely only on an internet connection and needs to be done in a perfect time because this never really works. For example, using Skype for playing music simultaneously can be risky as you would have to rely on the internet and it could crash. My organization is a music university and sometimes we encountered this problem with some students who had to audition via Skype for personal reasons.
March 30, 2017

Review: "Thanks Skype! I use it everyday to work and it saves me time and money!"

I use Skype everyday to work with my partners (fixing issues in our business or developing new projects). I use it 70% during the week by sending instant messages and 30% of the time using voice call. It saves me time instead of having to write emails.
  • Very good audio quality
  • No lag
  • File Sharing feature
  • Good camera image quality
  • Screen Sharing feature
  • Multiple users in the same call (conference call)
  • Sharing a screen is sometimes buggy (freezes or doesn't load).
  • Missing a feature for remote control like TeamViewer [has].
  • Skype phone call rates are expensive compared to other VOIP providers.
I will recommend it for working all day and using the internet call [tool] due to its features. I will not recommend it to make phone calls; the voice quality is good but the prices applied are expensive if you don't get a plan.

High quality audio (33)
High quality video (32)
Low bandwidth requirements (29)
Mobile support (24)
Desktop sharing (29)
Whiteboards (11)
Calendar integration (22)
Meeting initiation (26)
Integrates with social media (16)
Record meetings / events (14)
Slideshows (15)
Live chat (27)
9.2
Audience polling (14)
Q&A (10)
User authentication (22)
Participant roles & permissions (21)
Confidential attendee list (14)

About Skype