Skype (the personal edition) is a free web or video conferencing and VoIP software. The free version includes free audio and video Skype-to-Skype calls, ability to call mobile phones and landlines, paid international calling, and conference calling capabilities for up to 25 people.https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/qJ/Wv/F01LBWLMDIHG.JPEGGood budget option for collaborative meetingsWe use Skype to collaborate with research team members and collaborators who work in various parts of the country. Skype allows us to talk in person (either via video chat or audio only), and the screen sharing capability of Skype allows us to show and discuss results easily. Because Skype is free, we are able to meet whenever we want with collaborators while keeping costs to a minimum.,Easy to install for MacOS or Windows and user account setup is intuitive. In the newest version of Skype, you can make the window showing the other person very small. This feature is nice, because I can quickly look something up on my computer and still see the person I am talking to. The chat capability of Skype is also handy if you need to quickly send someone a bit of code or a website link.,I find the new interface of Skype very unintuitive compared to previous versions. Every time I am talking with someone I end up clicking on icons until I find the chat area or the screen sharing option. In newer versions of Skype, I've had many issues with audio feedback being slow or interrupted, despite the fact that I have high speed internet. This is extremely annoying if you are trying to discuss difficult and complex topics. Sometimes the video option randomly doesn't work, and I also find it difficult to add people to your Skype phonebook if you don't know their exact Skype username.,6,Because Skype is free, it has had a positive impact on our business objectives. This year we had several budget constraints, and Skype allowed us to conduct important meetings with stakeholders for free. Since the video / audio quality of Skype is not always very good, it impacts the efficiency of meetings. Meetings end up lasting longer if calls are dropped or if the audio cuts out repeatedly. Time lost on a Skype call equates to less research productivity, which negatively impacts the objectives of our research team. The real-time screen sharing in Skype allows for members of my research team to quickly see results from collaborators in different institutions. Seeing results (either in plots or slide shows) rather then hearing about them is much more meaningful and helps us build on the work of our collaborators. This positively impacts our research.,Zoom,Zoom Video Webinar, Adobe Acrobat DC, Google DriveAn All Around Good Communications ToolWe use Skype to communicate externally with other peer organizations. Notably we have also used Skype to communicate with job applicants in other countries. As a large organization I am sure that other offices are using Skype on campus. Skype fills a void for a reliable face to face communication platform that makes it feel like you are having a casual conversation with others without the need to be present. In a previous role I used Skype's chat or instant messaging features but no longer use that functionality. It worked well when I used it but it is my understanding they have beefed up this functionality.,It does video calling very well. You can share files easily over the platform. The chat / instant messaging feature was robust. It's very accessible. Users on many platforms can use it. It is reliable. I have not had issues with uptime or charshing.,I think that often people are confused on what usage or functions will cost them money to use. Everyone is concerned about security and safety these days. I don't conduct secret business over Skype but I've heard there may be some concerns about this issue if you are thinking of using it for sensitive information. Chat history gets deleted after a certain point so if keeping years long records is something that you are looking to do consider saving chunks off from time to time.,10,My department does not use Skype in a way that would be seen as generating a return on investment but for what the product does it is a good value. It really closes the distance gap in working with offices that are far away. Conference calls can be so soul crushing, this is a much better option. The only negative impact is that it is not the only video conferencing tool that I use. Given that it is not as strong of a multi user platform I can't say that it may cover every need that every office would have.,Google Hangouts, Join.me, WebEx Meetings and GoToMeeting,Join.me, Google Hangouts, WebEx Meetings,No,Price Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation Prior Experience with the Product,I think we had a really solid selection process. We brainstormed different products for video communications and then did some Google searching as well to see what might exist that we had not heard of. After we got the list together I went out and wrote up a summary of the pros and cons of each one. We met back after that and talked through the prospects and landed on using a mix of Skype, Google Hangouts, and GoToMeeting depending on the situation.Increasing Meaningful and Stable Connections with SkypeSkype is being used by the entire University. We did not use Skype when I first began at UNT, but over time, all phones were digitized and linked through Skype on our computers. Skype helps our employees to be more efficient during the work day by reducing the amount of time it takes to contact other employees, schedule meetings, or determine someone's availability.,Outlook Calendar Integration - Skype is connected to my Outlook Calendar and shows my availability to other users through the instant message function and also sends meeting reminders to the screen of my office phone. This allows me to keep track of my schedule but also allows my colleagues to know if I am available or not, how long I have been away, and when I will return. Phone and Video Conference calls - Skype was my go-to for video conference calls even before my company purchased it for all our users. Now I get the added bonus of all the business functions and Outlook integration. I could start a single user video call in seconds and initiate it through the instant message function. Group conference calls are also now made easier through Skype. We don't all need to register for additional systems or accounts, like Google, to be able to facilitate a conference call. Skype Missed Calls and Voicemail - One of my favorite things about Skype is the missed call and voicemail notifications I receive through my email. I am much more likely to notice missed calls and actually listen to voicemails. I no longer have to call in to my phone to listen to voicemail, I can check it quickly as I empty my email inbox. Skype Rolodex - Looking up phone numbers for my colleagues across campus used to be very time consuming if their numbers were not on our website. through Skype, I can look up anyone's phone number and place a call in a matter of seconds.,Speed Dial - When using the speed dial function through my phone, which is determined by my favorites in Skype messenger, there is an occasional error in the call. Even though I am using the speed dial for phone, the call will register for the recipient through their computer and they cannot answer on their landline. I then have to hang up and manually dial their number. Video Call Quality - While the ease of setting up a conference call is there, the quality of the video calls could still be improved. The audio runs without issue but the quality of the video can still become grainy, pixellated, or frozen. User Name Incongruity - The list of contacts on Skype messenger is not congruent in the way it lists users. Some users are listed by email, some are listed by a user name, and some are listed by last name and first name. This is not a glaring issue, but I am not familiar with some user names, which results in having to do a manual look up for some people. It would be easier if they were all able to be listed by first and last name.,9,Faster Client Response - Because I am able to check my missed calls and voicemails through my email with Skype, I end up with a faster responses rate to my clients both in and out of the office. I check my messages with my email and return calls faster than before I had Skype. It also makes it quick and easy to check my voicemail through email on my cell phone while away from the office. I no longer have to call into my office landline to check messages! Quicker Client Connection - One of the most common occurrences in our business is that one employee will need to make referrals for a student or client to another employee in our organization. In the past these referrals have been cumbersome and have not always led to eventual connection of the client to another employee. We would send them across campus to another office in hopes that the employee was available, or with an email or phone number and hope that they took the initiative to reach out. With the instant messenger and the video call function, we are able to contact employees across campus immediately so that clients can talk face to face with with their point of referral. More Efficient Business Model - This is a goal of our organization for the upcoming year. Skype has already helped us to progress in this goal by reducing the amount of time spent on unnecessary communications and processes. In the past, at a business with thousands of employees, we were forced to look up internal phone numbers on our website or through the phone roster. Now, I can look up phone numbers and email addresses through Skype messenger almost instantly, in addition to being able to send an instant message. I can also view other employees' schedules and availability through Skype messenger, instead of having to comb through Outlook. This helps me schedule calls and meetings more quickly than I have been able to before I started using Skype.,Google Hangouts,Skype for Business (formerly Lync), Polycom RealPresence Group Series, Google HangoutsWhen you need to connect, but can’t in person.I use Skype to contact and work with other artists when they don’t have Apple products. I use it for interviews when a job far away needs to interview me face to face. I also use it for contacting my family who live far away.,I think it is a great too for connecting with family and building professional relationships. I think it is a tool that provides convenience because you can skype whenever is suitable for you. I think it is easily accessible to call and connect. I like that the Skype can be free depending on your needs. Useful to connect to all no matter what system they use Sndroid, PC, or Mac.,I’ve definitely have had connection and picture issues with the software even when the internet was good. I don’t like that some calls were dropped or interrupted at random. If someone does have an Apple product, it is faster and easier to use Facetime, as no logging in is required.,9,The Skype interviews I have had were successful and there weren’t any issues connecting. Still finding calls to sometimes have bad connection that interferes with getting to the conversation. I wish paid features weren’t highly encouraged while I’m connecting with family.,,MailChimpSkype is awesome for personal useWe use it for easy meetings with people who are in remote locations via Skype. Some of our departments use it for meetings. However, when the network is bad, the communication quality becomes bad rapidly, and we cannot use Skype anymore.,Many people already have Skype installed and already have experience. We can use it free of charge. Skype has a user-friendly UI.,The system should have automatic quality control while video conferencing, even if the network condition is poor. Some people suffered from troubleshooting of their installation of Skype. A recording function could be welcome for people.,7,Positive: we can use it free of charge. Negative: the reliability of the connection is not guaranteed. Positive: we can use it with people who already used it before.,BlueJeans,BlueJeans, Google Hangouts
Skype

Skype Reviews

Skype
Filter 1620 vetted Skype reviews and ratings

Maike Holthuijzen profile photo
December 17, 2018

Skype Review: "Good budget option for collaborative meetings"

• Easy to install for MacOS or Windows and user account setup is intuitive.
  • In the newest version of Skype, you can make the window showing the other person very small. This feature is nice, because I can quickly look something up on my computer and still see the person I am talking to.
  • The chat capability of Skype is also handy if you need to quickly send someone a bit of code or a website link.
  • I find the new interface of Skype very unintuitive compared to previous versions. Every time I am talking with someone I end up clicking on icons until I find the chat area or the screen sharing option.
  • In newer versions of Skype, I've had many issues with audio feedback being slow or interrupted, despite the fact that I have high speed internet. This is extremely annoying if you are trying to discuss difficult and complex topics.
  • Sometimes the video option randomly doesn't work, and I also find it difficult to add people to your Skype phonebook if you don't know their exact Skype username.
Skype is a great option for holding collaborative meetings when participants cannot meet in person. Skype allows users to create meetings with several people, which is useful. Because Skype is free and easy to install on various types of operating systems, it is a great choice for individuals or companies who need decent meeting software but also have budget constraints. Skype is also a good general choice for meeting software, because it can be used to call friends or family but is also a good choice for professional / workplace meetings. However, Skype will not work very well in areas without high speed internet.
Read Maike Holthuijzen's full review
Jason Hartigan profile photo
December 09, 2018

Skype Review: "An All Around Good Communications Tool"

• It does video calling very well.
  • You can share files easily over the platform.
  • The chat / instant messaging feature was robust.
  • It's very accessible. Users on many platforms can use it.
  • It is reliable. I have not had issues with uptime or charshing.
  • I think that often people are confused on what usage or functions will cost them money to use.
  • Everyone is concerned about security and safety these days. I don't conduct secret business over Skype but I've heard there may be some concerns about this issue if you are thinking of using it for sensitive information.
  • Chat history gets deleted after a certain point so if keeping years long records is something that you are looking to do consider saving chunks off from time to time.
If you want to be able to communicate quickly and easily for personal or professional reasons Skype is a great solution. It offers the ability to feel like you are in the same place. It also allows you to communicate quickly and concisely if you don't want to bother with a full video and audio setup. I don't think it is well suited for chatting with multiple people at once. The maximum number of people you can get together is 10. We found it much easier to go with Google Hangouts for smaller group calls because it was free and GoToMeeting for larger groups. GoToMeeting also had a fee but was well suited for such environments.
Read Jason Hartigan's full review
Kathleen E. Hobson profile photo
December 08, 2018

Review: "Increasing Meaningful and Stable Connections with Skype"

• Outlook Calendar Integration - Skype is connected to my Outlook Calendar and shows my availability to other users through the instant message function and also sends meeting reminders to the screen of my office phone. This allows me to keep track of my schedule but also allows my colleagues to know if I am available or not, how long I have been away, and when I will return.
  • Phone and Video Conference calls - Skype was my go-to for video conference calls even before my company purchased it for all our users. Now I get the added bonus of all the business functions and Outlook integration. I could start a single user video call in seconds and initiate it through the instant message function. Group conference calls are also now made easier through Skype. We don't all need to register for additional systems or accounts, like Google, to be able to facilitate a conference call.
  • Skype Missed Calls and Voicemail - One of my favorite things about Skype is the missed call and voicemail notifications I receive through my email. I am much more likely to notice missed calls and actually listen to voicemails. I no longer have to call in to my phone to listen to voicemail, I can check it quickly as I empty my email inbox.
  • Skype Rolodex - Looking up phone numbers for my colleagues across campus used to be very time consuming if their numbers were not on our website. through Skype, I can look up anyone's phone number and place a call in a matter of seconds.
  • Speed Dial - When using the speed dial function through my phone, which is determined by my favorites in Skype messenger, there is an occasional error in the call. Even though I am using the speed dial for phone, the call will register for the recipient through their computer and they cannot answer on their landline. I then have to hang up and manually dial their number.
  • Video Call Quality - While the ease of setting up a conference call is there, the quality of the video calls could still be improved. The audio runs without issue but the quality of the video can still become grainy, pixellated, or frozen.
  • User Name Incongruity - The list of contacts on Skype messenger is not congruent in the way it lists users. Some users are listed by email, some are listed by a user name, and some are listed by last name and first name. This is not a glaring issue, but I am not familiar with some user names, which results in having to do a manual look up for some people. It would be easier if they were all able to be listed by first and last name.
Skype is best suited for businesses or companies in which employees are required to do a lot of desk work, and who make a lot of internal phone or video calls, conference calls, or that can utilize the instant messaging function. Skype would seem most worth the cost for a company with more than 50 employees, but could be useful for smaller businesses if they still plan to utilize Skype's functions. Smaller companies with few employees, or companies who do not have employees at desks consistently would not be able to utilize Skype to the best of its capacity.
Read Kathleen E. Hobson's full review
Sarah Lightman profile photo
December 03, 2018

Skype Review: "When you need to connect, but can’t in person."

• I think it is a great too for connecting with family and building professional relationships.
  • I think it is a tool that provides convenience because you can skype whenever is suitable for you.
  • I think it is easily accessible to call and connect.
  • I like that the Skype can be free depending on your needs.
  • Useful to connect to all no matter what system they use Sndroid, PC, or Mac.
  • I’ve definitely have had connection and picture issues with the software even when the internet was good.
  • I don’t like that some calls were dropped or interrupted at random.
  • If someone does have an Apple product, it is faster and easier to use Facetime, as no logging in is required.
I had an interview with a company that was South East and I am based in Los Angeles. We were able to connect and communicate clearly with Skype. I have also connected with family easily on Skype. This allowed my family to see and understand me better than just with text or phone.

However, I have sometimes been contacted by robot accounts and strangers before that weren’t pleasant conversations.
Read Sarah Lightman's full review
chongsok lim profile photo
February 21, 2019

User Review: "Skype is awesome for personal use"

• Many people already have Skype installed and already have experience.
  • We can use it free of charge.
  • Skype has a user-friendly UI.
  • The system should have automatic quality control while video conferencing, even if the network condition is poor.
  • Some people suffered from troubleshooting of their installation of Skype.
  • A recording function could be welcome for people.
A good scenario for Skype is to use it for private meetings or small meetings without any critical issues. This is because you can make a call again if it's to your friends or colleagues.
A bad scenario for Skype is to use it for important business meetings. This is because you can lose your opportunity to a bad connection while communicating.
Read chongsok lim's full review
Jeff Huisjen profile photo
January 04, 2019

Review: "Skype takes the cake when it comes to video calls!"

Skype has been used in my department for communication with members of other outside organizations ranging from; interviews, consultations, collaborations, and simply checking in socially. Skype has been a great way to allow for face to face communication, especially for larger group conversations, when the people in communication are far away and in-person meetings might not work.
  • Skype allows for easy sorting of your contacts in a way that makes it easy to group people together and know who you need to contact.
  • Skype seems to work well across multiple platforms; PC, Mac, and even handheld devices can use Skype in a way that is beneficial to their organizations.
  • Skype allows you to evaluate and engage in conversation in a face to face way when person to person meetings would be hard to manage.
  • Skype has been around for a while and there are now a lot of other platforms that do the same thing; Google Hangout, Dischord, etc. Skype may need something that differentiates them from the pack.
  • Unlike cell service, because Skype is video heavy in the cases we use it, poor service and connection can often be a major complication. This is, however, an issue for any video conferencing software.
Skype is perfectly suited for long-distance interviews and for long-distance collaboration. It has helped us to explain our needs to someone in a much more personal way than a phone call or e-mails would be. The ability to have multiple people on one call OR to setup a system that allows communication from a table of people has been a huge help.
Read Jeff Huisjen's full review
Abhinav Kapoor profile photo
December 27, 2018

Skype Review: "Best software for chatting and meetings"

It's the best software that provides a chatting feature with image, video and documents sharing. Its very easy to use and understand. It's used company wide. Live meetings with video conferencing are held on Skype.
  • It's a video calling feature that provides us with free calling at any corner of this world.
  • Edit and deletion of messages sent by us. Messages sent by mistake are corrected easily.
  • The user interface is the best and easy to understand.
  • Works on all operating systems as well on all platforms.
  • It sometimes crashes while running. This needs to be improved.
  • During a video call there are network delays that degrade the user experience.
  • Sykpe also offers a paid calling feature. The call rates should decrease.
Skype is easy to use at any corner of this world. The video chatting feature is awesome. But updates should be more frequent because I found that Skype does not work perfectly with Windows 7. There is always a problem while starting it, it hangs up a lot.
Read Abhinav Kapoor's full review
Louis F. DeWeaver III, M.S.I.S. profile photo
December 17, 2018

Review: "Return on investement of Skype for business"

By far, one of the most utilized features of this platform is the video conferencing feature. It helps us to limit the amount we spend on our phone bills. Another benefit of Skype for Business is its portability.
  • Cut the cost of business calls
  • Reduce business travel costs
  • It can affect real-world interaction
  • Skype is a popular application and is sure to attract hackers' attention.
Meetings can be conducted using this service and the information that needs to be shared can be independently viewed by each participant. This makes it a lot easier to facilitate discussions, create individualized impacts, and convey information in a more memorable way.

Someone cannot access emergency numbers through Skype in an emergency except in specific communities or jurisdictions. Individuals could call non-emergency phone numbers that could then relay their needs to the appropriate department, but this would create delays in service implementation. Under the current structure, modern phone services are still more reliable.
Read Louis F. DeWeaver III, M.S.I.S.'s full review
MaryLee Trettenero profile photo
December 17, 2018

User Review: "Using Skype for consultations"

I use Skype for clients who can't come to see me in person but still want the visual of seeing me. I do 30-minute and 60-minute client consultations using Skype. Mostly for overseas clients. I offer either Skype or Facetime when someone wants to have a remote face to face meeting.
  • Client meetings are very affordable for overseas clients.
  • Provides a quality visual remote experience for clients that can't come to my office
  • The screen can freeze during a call and usually requires disconnecting and redialing. This happens approximately one in four calls.
  • Sometimes there is a reverb in the background so I hear myself talking a few seconds after I am actually talking.
  • The screen sometimes pixelates for a while during the call.
Skype is well suited for one on one meetings. It's also well suited for spontaneous meetings where you need to connect with someone without advance planning. Not well suited for meetings that are critically important due to technical and connectivity issues.
Read MaryLee Trettenero's full review
Amanda Carpenter profile photo
December 14, 2018

Review: "Skype: Still useful, but becoming lost in the options"

Skype has been used to communication with people who cannot be physically present. It's not been used much recently, as other software that has the same capabilities has taken over, but it was the first of it's kind. It's a good tool to use when someone cannot be there or when a meeting really needs to happen face-to-face.
  • It's video chat capabilities are what it is known for, and are pretty good (depending on your internet connection).
  • I've used it with people are are across the country and also out of the country and have been able to communication with them, so that's pretty fantastic.
  • I think it's one of the standard, original video chat softwares out there.
  • I think it needs to stay relevant, stay current. It's getting lost in all of the other newer video chat softwares and apps available now.
  • Maybe connect it with another app, like google+, for instance, would help get it to be utilized more.
It's well suited for video communication with one person. I'm not sure how well it does for multiple people to video chat, as I have never used it for that, only one-on-one experiences. I think, in the last few years, it's become lost in all of the newer video chat software and apps that are now available. It's starting to become obsolete, though it still does its job well.
Read Amanda Carpenter's full review
Sweta Christian PT,DPT. profile photo

User Review: "Skype!"

My boss travels to Hong Kong every now and then and in order for us to communicate on daily basis, we use Skype all the time. We all use Skype. Skype has proved to be very useful and easy to access, and it’s fast and user friendly.
  • User friendly
  • Easy access
  • Fast and reliable
  • Improve the connectivity to 3rd world countries
  • Ability to use personal data plan more smoothly
  • Ability to add stickers and group chat
It’s well suited for remote access. It’s a very user friendly app. I think not being able to block spam callers is one drawback of Skype.
Read Sweta Christian PT,DPT.'s full review
December 14, 2018

User Review: "Skype—simple, fast, flexible"

Skype is currently being used organization wide, every employee has a skype account. Currently using it for quick communications, coordinating trouble shooting efforts through out a geographically distributed area. We use it for communication and document sharing when email is down or when quick comms are necessary. The ease of use and rapid group chat are awesome for the needs of our organization. We can drag and drop files or use the snipping tool to share images of screens. unfortunately actual call with video and voice are disabled, as well as real time screen sharing. I hope in the future this changes.
  • Ease of managing contacts, with a few clicks I can add, move or delete contacts into my Skype home screen. Adding members to group chat is also extremely easy.
  • The away feature, if you miss a conversation an email with a summary of that conversation is sent to your email. This is handy if you're often away from your desk like I am.
  • Emoticons, haha, but in all reality the widely available emoticons adds a certain human touch to the text only conversations. Use of video and voice emoticons give us a way to express emotions over chat. This is good when you're often talking to people you don't see in person or talk to on the phone very often.
  • While adding can modifying contacts is relatively easy after you figure it out, new users may struggle with this. Adding a simple plus button next to a persons name in a chat window would be a great help. a simple stream lined single or double click option would be great.
  • A gif repository. While Skype is a business tool some business isn't always so serious. My coworkers and I like to share links and other things quickly with each other over Skype to keep morale high. Being able to respond quickly to your buddy down the hall with a witty gif would make a difference.
  • Not exactly a bad thing but the group chat window could be confusing for new users. Streamlining this and allowing the user to drag themselves out of a chat instead of having to close a window or something similar may help with this.
It's well suited to help desk situations, office environments, collaborative situations and overall IRC type situations. One of the biggest reasons we like Skype is the fact it's easy to use, quick, and relatively easy to monitor. I don't believe Skype would do so well in a remote work situation, where a user works from home or from a remote location over a public network. I think Skype really shines in an isolated network where all users are on the same domain / building / geographic area. Our users are spread over 2 states; however, they're all on the same domain and connected by a long haul link directly.
December 18, 2018

User Review: "Skype: Microsoft's Playground"

We all have our Skype accounts. When necessary for client conversations, we use Skype, unwillingly. Every single person complains about it and switches to another tool if possible.
Skype doesn't address any business problems, if anything, it's a problem itself. It totally became the inside joke:
- Look Skype rolled out a new version!
- Oh goodness, now we will have to figure things out all over again!
- Oh no, prepare half an hour in advance, to find buttons!
- Ha, Microsoft is looking for newer ways to mess it up again!
  • I guess one thing it does well is changing things around all the time. You feel like you're using a brand new product every time you log in.
  • Room for improvement: roll back to what it was before Microsoft acquisition.
  • Remove the forced Microsoft login. Make the "remember me" option available again so it won't sign me out every single time and force me to get a Microsoft account.
  • Bring back screenshot options.
  • I'm having a hard time finding 3 things it does well. It used to do many things quite well, but not since it's been bought out by Microsoft. It's now a disaster.
Skype is well suited (and the only reason I still use it) when making international calls and paying minutes by the pennies. I still have my credit card attached to it and will get auto repay when my credit goes below $2. It's great for that. But that's all.
December 14, 2018

Skype Review: "Voice calls, video calls, messaging, screen sharing—everything you could ask for!"

We use Skype for chatting, calling, and face to face communication with our developers team that is located in a different city. It also helps us to communicate with our colleagues when they travel for business; we are able to easily connect with them using Skype.
  • When we a colleague travels for business, we are able to easily connect with them using Skype.
  • It provides a fast, efficient and powerful messaging platform.
  • The ability to communicate with a large group of people through video conferencing.
  • With their Windows and phone program, it feels like they favor looks over performance. The way it looks is very nice, but it runs horribly even on newer hardware, It still gets the job done but it could get it done even quicker if the program runs smoother.
  • When a Skype meeting has many attendees, the voice & video quality of the meeting decreases because of the many disruptions created by the users.
Skype is perfect for overseas calls or video chat whether it's for a business call with your colleagues or just a personal call with friends and family. Skype gets the job done, but if you're looking for a program to use with client meetings and such I'm sure there are better choices out there.
December 09, 2018

Skype Review: "Excellent communication tool"

We have used other software for informal communications, and Skype is superior to them because of its many features. It includes built-in screen sharing, and training or visual communication with other sites is much easier now.
  • Chatting
  • File transfer
  • Conference calling
  • Unusually high system resource requirement
  • Integration with other accounts (e.g non-Microsoft)
Skype is fantastic for exchanging ideas with colleagues that are located at another site. Sometimes you just want to have a printed document in front of you and point out specific areas in a discussion. The screen sharing functionality eliminates the need for a more formal WebEx-type presentation.
December 08, 2018

Skype Review: "Great tool for collab in smaller environments"

I used Skype at my old company. We loved the ability to IM, the Outlook calendar integration, the ability to meet on demand or schedule future meetings. The emoticons were hit for our emoji lovers. We used it across the entire company, in which we had both remote employees and those working at headquarters. It made conversations easier.
  • Real-time collaboration
  • Notifications
  • Meetings
  • Security
  • Modernization
  • Sleek UI
Skype is great for one-to-one, maybe one-to-5 ratio for communication. When you get many more folks in a room/on a phone call, there tends to be a lot of noise, literally and figuratively. Appropriate for smaller companies, <500 employees. Much more than that, and it becomes hard to manage.
December 06, 2018

Skype Review: "Great for multiple-country use"

Skype is heavily used by our nonprofit. We have program offices in ten countries so it is the most affordable option for all of our staff to communicate with each other.
  • Allows country to country communication.
  • Provides free and paid versions. (Skype Free and Skype for Business).
  • Has messaging and calling features.
  • Has ability to call multiple people at once.
  • It doesn't have a voicemail service.
  • It doesn't record past calls.
Skype is ideal for an organization/company that has people in different countries.
Daryl Wise Jr. profile photo
November 02, 2018

Review: "Skype Is the Online Communication Standard"

I've been using Skype well before I started using social media. And through Skype, I've been able to meet so many friends and eventual customers. If not for Skype, my business wouldn't of gotten its foot in the door. I've spent countless hours talking with potential customers about my products through Skype's online audio and video calling. Customers sometimes want to talk with a human whether it be via voice and or voice and video. And since PC to PC calling is free, no one is charged a dime and I can converse with potential customers for however long I need to.
  • Skype's call quality for video and audio is very good, although this depends on your internet connection speed.
  • Skype's file sharing feature is incredible as well. Not all customers want to give out or even have an email address. So if you need to send the customer a document or perhaps even a trial version of your product, you can send them those with Skype's file sharing feature.
  • Sometimes the connection quality and strength is not good, but that is rare and that issue is dependent on the internet connection of both users.
  • Other than that, Skype is great!
I really don't like giving out my personal cell phone number but sometimes, your customers need to talk with you, not email you. So with Skype, I don't have to give out my number and I can still talk with potential customers via voice only or video and voice, all for free. This alone makes Skype invaluable and essential for any business needing a free solution for online support.
Read Daryl Wise Jr.'s full review
Priyanshu Kumar profile photo
October 22, 2018

Skype Review: "Best gateway for video conferences."

Skype is the best platform through which the whole company gets connected for meetings in quick succession.
  • Skype provides a secure and transparent medium for multi-team collaboration.
  • Skype provides a platform for sharing data for representation via video conferences for business meetings.
  • Skype is the best gateway for video conferences in a dependable, productive, and secure environment.
  • International calls via Skype sometimes disconnect, which is annoying.
  • Video conferences via Skype cost much more when compared to other video conferencing software.
  • Problems with editing phone contacts are much frequent in Skype's latest version.
Skype is best suited for multiple team collaboration via video conferencing in real time.
Skype does not fit for private instant chats via video/audio conferences.
Read Priyanshu Kumar's full review
Miguel Brito profile photo
October 12, 2018

Skype Review: "The best software to make video calls"

Skype is a very simple and easy to use program, which allows us to have contact with people who through the chat, a call or video call. We use this program to communicate with clients of our company, to follow up on the product offered, or to communicate if any of the parties needs information. We currently use Skype for work and contact with customers, our Executive Director and the communication department. The rest of the team uses it for purely personal purposes. This program has allowed us to have a way of knowing what our customers think of the product we offer. Our company is a Party Services Provider and, in several occasions, we have communicated with our clients in this way to reach an established address.
  • I like that this program has a chat, with which I can chat with friends, family and clients, with whom I communicate daily. It is a simple and fun way to chat with people.
  • The calls are good and if you have wi-fi or a good data signal, you can hear them well. If you want to communicate with someone who is in a country other than yours, you can simply call them and the result will be very good.
  • Video calls, in my opinion, is the best thing about this program. You can make a video call in the tranquility of your home, or if you go out, you can do it with a tablet or from your cell phone. If you are in a place sharing with friends or clients, and you want to show it to someone, you can simply do it. It's amazing the things that this program lets you do.
  • Well, calling a home phone is difficult and they charge you. I think if that company wants to compete even more, you should check this.
  • Skype depends on the signal to the internet. Sometimes the platform does not adapt well to the phones that have a simple internet signal, that is, those telephones that are not connected through a Wi-Fi network.
  • The sound is sometimes not the best. Many people I know have complained about this, because they say that when they are making a call or video call, they do not listen well to what the other person is telling them. This is not always, but it has happened to me.
The best scenario for Skype is when you need to communicate with someone, with urgency, and that person is far from you. It can be a relative who is very far away from you or a client that you need to attend to close a deal. This tool can be the perfect solution if you know how to take advantage of it, because you will be able to maintain a good conversation and obtain the desired result. A scenario that can become annoying is when your phone or tablet signal is of poor quality. At that time it is better to use the chat, it is time of the call or video call.
Read Miguel Brito's full review
November 08, 2018

Skype: "Complete solution for audiovisual conferencing in corporate"

It is used by almost every department in my organization. I use it for client meetings in the credit department. It makes communication very convenient with my outstation and NRI clients. Sometimes I need to present proposals to my clients, and this is not very effective through phone calls, so I use Skype for making those video calls.
  • One of the fastest connecting communication systems.
  • Screen sharing feature is very helpful for remote access.
  • It delivers the best audio/video quality during conference calls.
  • It gets updates very frequently and sometimes it is very annoying.
  • Unavailability of free voicemail box. It's paid and slightly expensive.
  • Its parent company's terms and conditions are something which I don't trust completely. I am always suspicious about my privacy.
I use this application in many scenarios. Many times I use it when I talk to my Outstation and NRI clients. It's easy to teach them about my products through video calls. Sometimes I use Skype while taking interviews for Outstation applicants. It is also very well suited during work from home scenarios. I use it to communicate with my colleagues.
Luis Eduardo Canache Guzman profile photo
April 16, 2018

User Review: "Skype for All - Business and Personal"

I am a community manager of my group, Skype works perfectly in my area, since with the program I can make conferences from anywhere in the world and keep in touch with clients and future members of the organization, it solves problems of distance and schedules.
  • I am about 6 years into using it and since the day I installed it, I have used it regularly, it seems easy to use and a nice program, it allows me to be in contact with relatives and members of my organization, I think the biggest benefit of Skype is the facility to be able to add your mail contacts without problems, besides that it is already available for mobile which makes it more accessible and available at any time you need it. It not only allows me to make conferences, but send and receive files without problem.
  • It is not a heavy program for the computer and it does not use much computer power to perform its tasks, it does not have advertising within the application, referring to other companies or something for style, so that also makes it pleasant.
  • It is a fast program, with stable connection and good image quality in video calls
  • I think they could improve the stability of the connection in some places, but generally it works well, it is quite stable.
  • I do not know if it exists, but they could make a lighter version for cell phones, in some less current devices, it might slow down.
  • Maybe adding a button to send email directly from the program would be a good idea.
I think that Skype is appropriate for those occasions in which it is necessary to maintain a direct contact and in real time with people of interest, either at a business level or at a personal level. Some case in which it would not be appropriate, sincerely at the moment I can not think of any place where it is not appropriate since the function of the program is directed to communication.
Read Luis Eduardo Canache Guzman's full review
Luca Campanelli profile photo
February 09, 2018

Skype Review: "Communication first of all"

In my organization, Skype is used as a working tool to communicate both through company departments in a simple and effective way without necessarily resorting to the use of the telephone and to communicate with external or foreign offices without any kind of problem whether through chat or VoIP calls.
  • Calls via Voip without packet loss
  • Screen sharing
  • Instant messaging
  • The interface is ancient now could be a bit 'modernized
  • Sometimes it disconnects and fails to connect if you have not logged out before
  • Screen sharing does not allow dual monitors
The reasons for using Skype are many:
  • If you are a single user you can make low-cost VoIP calls especially if you have friends or relatives abroad
  • You can share your screen if you have to show a program or some features on your pc for work
  • For instant messaging and for creating discussion groups it's fast and functional
Read Luca Campanelli's full review
March 02, 2018

Review: "Skype for large corporation instant messaging"

Our organization currently uses Skype as our official instant messaging application. Instant Messaging is a huge part of our communication amongst teams to both save time and have more efficiency. We need the ability to go in and out of chats quickly, screen share on and off frequently, add individuals to chat groups and remove them, and share files quickly. Skype meets all of these qualifications and more.
  • The tabbed chat window is great when you have a lot of conversations going on at once. For example, if throughout the day you talk to 15 people through skype all of your conversations will be tabbed out in your chat window and turn orange when that individual sends you another message
  • For screen sharing it takes literally no time to just share your screen very quickly. You can also give others on the call control of the screen so they can move the mouse and show things on your screen remotely.
  • Your conversation history can be integrated to store in your outlook inbox so after a certain amount of time (~ 5 minutes is what I have it set to) your conversation will be saved to your inbox under a conversation history tab so you can go back and reference old conversations.
  • The conversation history, although a great feature, sometimes does not save your conversation as expected so you do not have it to reference down the line
  • If you have a window with a bunch of conversation tabs and you try and add a person to a conversation it goes out of that conversation and you have to find it in your tab window again. This is not a big deal but just can be a pain to find the conversation again.
  • When in an email in outlook it would be nice if you could reply all with IM (Skype) for that email. Currently, you can only reply with IM to the sender not the whole email chain.
This software is suited for an organization that is fast-paced with a lot of back to back meetings where you have to constantly be multitasking. If your organization is an IT shop or a group that constantly needs to be sharing your screen to show with others this is the software for you.
February 07, 2018

User Review: "Skype is the Real Deal!"

Skype is used by the CRM team which consists of three users. Other users in our marketing department use this as well to bring the total to around 10. Almost all of these members are working remotely so we use Skype daily for 90% of our video conferencing calls. In the CRM department, we use Skype for all video and phone calls. Calling and chatting with this service is the best we have used and we have tried out a number of video conferencing platforms over the years. It is a great product.
  • Video conferencing is the best we have used. It is consistently clear even on connections that are less than ideal.
  • Chatting is easy and the notifications are great. Easy to pick up and use.
  • The mobile app is really well done as well and good when you are not at your computer.
  • Using Skype to make phone calls is something that is not used as much anymore but still a great service.
  • Integrating with Chrome to make phone calls is not easy in the beginning.
  • The Windows 10 version of Skype can be a little confusing and we found we downgraded to an older version to bring functionality back.
  • The grouping for members was not something that we used and was problematic at first.
Skype is very well suited to teams working remotely. We use this as our primary chat and video conference call service and have not regretted it. It might be less appropriate in a setting where your team is in cubicles. Though even there you can use the chat feature to get a quick question answered with coworkers or to discretely message someone.

High quality audio (43)
High quality video (42)
Low bandwidth requirements (39)
6.6
Mobile support (34)
Desktop sharing (36)
Whiteboards (14)
Calendar integration (25)
Meeting initiation (30)
Integrates with social media (19)
Record meetings / events (16)
Slideshows (18)
Live chat (37)
Audience polling (17)
Q&A (14)
User authentication (29)
Participant roles & permissions (26)
Confidential attendee list (18)

About Skype