Skype Reviews

1930 Ratings

July 30, 2020
Yurii Aliabiev | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are conducting all main communication activities inside Skype. Both personally and in groups across the whole organization. With Skype, we are solving a lot of various communicative issues, especially during COVID-19. We have various groups inside our organization, separated by the specific department, and via Skype, we are managing all our professional activities.
  • Easy of use
  • Great connection
  • Conference call
  • Bugs with copying text.
  • Over-installation of the software.
  • PC overloading during the call.
Skype is great to use where you have at least the SSD in your computer, otherwise wait for freezing and bugs. Still, it's one of the most convenient software for conference calls. When you want to participate in business calls easily from your smartphone or join the conference using your smart TV, Skype is good option.
When I have been faced with a specific issue, in most cases, I instantly was able to find the solution in an online FAQ. Also, on Skype I always witness new updates and bug fixes on a regular basis. Still, it is always something wrong with specific details like duplicate text messages or software over installing. As for me, it could be fewer mistakes when we are talking about Microsoft.
Read Yurii Aliabiev's full review
December 30, 2020
Our requirements for video conferencing platforms have increased exponentially during the pandemic. Skype has helped us to get back to work by connecting everyone in the organization--from the C-level to part-time interns--to work even during the lockdown. Skype is the ideal platform for us to conduct group meetings or have presentations. Even today, when we're back to our physical office, we still use Skype to connect with individuals working from home.
  • Screensharing
  • Video conferencing
  • Instant messaging
  • Cost effective
  • Glitchy app on Android
  • Customer support is slow
Skype is great for virtual team meets. It is not possible for all of our employees to work in the office due to lack of resources to adequately follow precautions in this pandemic. We're effortlessly connected to the employees working from home. It has also helped us improvise and come up with new business strategies for a post-COVID scenario.
July 27, 2020
It's used for video, audio discussions and file sharing. Because of COVID-19 it has become part of our life and our day-to-day communication has become so seamless. We are using its free version and not facing any challenges. I am sure because of its user friendly UI anybody could use it easily. I am a developer so, my discussions are mostly with other developers over Skype but all other teams like management, testing and all senior level employees use Skype for communication.
  • First of all its user friendly and convenient interface. Anybody without much training can use it.
  • Easily installable on any operating system [without] installing any dependencies.
  • It's inexpensive. Although its free version fulfills almost all requirements. if you want to purchase its paid version for international calls it is still very much cost effective.
  • Skype could add a translation feature in its software. If a user sends text to another user in a different language Skype could translate it for that user.
  • Skype could add a status feature like WhatsApp so that users can describe their feelings.
  • Skype lite app size is still big; Skype should reduce its size.
This software can be used in any kind of organization. Because it provides almost all features like audio, video conferring and file sharing with different applications like Skype lite and Skype for business. I recommend to all to use Skype for remote discussions and file sharing. It's less expensive than other software which are available in market. I do not have anything negative to say because Skype fulfilling all my requirements.
Skype is a great software to use and it is fulfilling all the requirements we can expect from a communication medium, so that is why I am giving it full marks. If I found anything cumbersome in this software I would definitely share it but there is nothing which I can complain about.
May 29, 2020
Sanjog Ghimire | TrustRadius Reviewer
I normally use Skype to conduct online staff meetings and sometimes it is used to deal with the clients. It is used across the whole organization. The major problem that it addresses is that we can easily avoid traditional meetings and enhance easy meetings while staying at home.
  • Easy to conduct daily official meetings.
  • The emojis used in chats make conversation lively.
  • The email notification feature when we missed a message is nice.
  • Very easy to use.
  • Sometimes the video lags despite having good connection.
  • I find difficulty to share large file which should be fixed.
  • Sometime it crashes itself.
As a regular user of Skype I suggest that this is the best communication app that any office should use. It is very easy to use, so staff with little knowledge can easily operate it without any complexities. It can be used as a personal tool for communication with friends and family. It has made my online meetings very fruitful, saved me time, facilitated overseas business. I love the chat feature provided by Skype. Sometimes video freezes and lag occur but not very often. I am very satisfied with the app and I cannot find any scenarios that it would not be appropriate.
Read Sanjog Ghimire's full review
April 27, 2020
justin kamau | TrustRadius Reviewer
Skype is used across the whole organization for video conferencing purposes. It is also used in staff to staff communication across our branches to solve issues. This has in the past eased in communication in our organization. It has also come in as a cost-cutting actor because with the use of Skype there is less traveling.
  • It has promoted team work within the organization.
  • Cost-cutting due to less travel
  • Eased communication within the organization
  • Blurred images during a call.
  • Very high maintenance cost
  • Effective in internet enabled areas only
Skype is well suited when a customer who is very far away wants to place an order of items. In the comfort of their homes, they can communicate with the manager through Skype and give him a list of items they need, and then the manager makes a list and gives it to a shop attendant who goes ahead to collect all the items. The customer makes online payment and then the items are sent through the delivery program.
We were in need of software that would have an impact on us. We evaluated the various options we had and we arrived at Skype because their support is twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, three-hundred and sixty-five days a year.
Read justin kamau's full review
March 31, 2020
Shajae Barrett | TrustRadius Reviewer
As an English as a Second Language teacher, it is crucial to have Skype. My employer used Skype to conduct an interview with me, seeing that I was in Jamaica and my employer in China. Skype is used for interviews and as a medium to conduct classes for my Chinese students who need to learn English as a second language. Classes are sometimes held online. Skype improves the overall productivity of our company. Students are able to see you in real-time, and teachers are able to video conference.
  • Skype is perfect for video call conferencing. You are able to meet with many people at once, anywhere in the world, once you have an internet connection.
  • Skype provides an instant messaging service. You are able to leave a message for others to see immediately or at a later date. In addition, you can also create group chat for collaboration where you are able to share documents.
  • The software is absolutely 100% user-friendly.
  • Skype allowing users to share their screen while on video call/conferencing.
  • I wish it had some form of language translation for when speaking with a native speaker of a different language. But apart from that, the software is EXCELLENT.
Skype is suited when there is a terrible weather condition and you have a scheduled meeting with colleagues; instead of cancelling the meeting, you could schedule the meeting on Skype. This enables you to video conference with your colleagues. In addition, if there is a presentation you wish to show you can screen share, showing the document on your device.
Additionally, if you want to pursue a career in being an online English as a Second Language teacher, this is the perfect platform to get the job done. Students are able to see you in real-time and you are able to execute learning through screen sharing pictures, colours and other learning documents.
The overall support for Skype is excellent. With any issue, you can search for a solution on their website. The directions are simple to follow. Skype thought of every possible question users might ask and provide the answers online.
Read Shajae Barrett's full review
July 13, 2020
Skype is exceptionally a great tool to connect with your coworkers while working. The best feature I have experienced is the screen sharing capability, which helps a lot with discussing your projects online and you can easily understand what the speaker wants to make you understand. You can make group calls, add members, and send an invite by scheduling your tasks to it. Hand raise and emoticons are also available to express your feelings over the chat. The UI is friendly and easy to manage and use. Privacy shortcuts are also available. It also allows muting the disturbance in a group call.
  • Quality audio and video calls.
  • Screen sharing facility.
  • Mute disturbance in group calls.
  • Scheduling and inviting.
  • Hand raise and emoticons.
  • Sometimes slows down while updating.
  • Emoticons are somehow outdated.
I strongly recommend Skype to every type of organization as it really helps to solve your difficulties if you are not physically present at your workplace. It allows you to chat and make voice and video calls free of cost. You can schedule your tasks and meetings and users will be able to join by just tapping on a link. It offers various amazing features like conducting one-on-one sessions, feedback sessions, large group discussions and you can make all this possible just by sitting at your home. It really helped when I worked from home and needed to connect my team on a platform and discuss things, really supported balancing my work life along with my personal life. You will get 24/7 extended support; if you have any issues you can chat and contact customer support. Compatible with mobile as well as desktop devices. It allows you to integrate with many other software like Gmail, Calendar, Outlook. An amazing tool to digitally connect with your near and dear ones.
Customer support is really amazing. If you're stuck somewhere, you just need to communicate your problem and they will assist you so amazingly that you just need to sit and relax and the rest is done by the customer support team.
March 17, 2020
We use Skype for communication with the client on voice and text chat. With Skype, because the communication is in real-time it saves a lot of effort with back and forth emailing or contacting over the phone (i.e if the client has Skype ID).
  • Video calls work great.
  • Screen share is great.
  • There are bugs with text chat history. It will not show the time correctly. The way it is supposed to show is that the latest chat is at the bottom, however, more than often the latest text chat doesn't show at the bottom but somewhere in between older chat messages.
  • It doesn't have the capability to allow call recordings if you are using Skype to call the phone number. It won't allow third parties to integrate for call recording too even if you are a business user and have Skype manager account
  • Their security is obnoxious with the Support Team not knowing what's wrong. I had one of my reps account blocked within 2 mins of renewing the account. I asked the support for help they released my account but again their system blocks it. When asked for the reason they say that the system doesn't show the reason for security purposes which is complete nonsense. Customer service is pathetic.
I live in a country where we are not allowed to use a credit card for online transactions. PayPal is my only option and that is why I am forced to use Skype. So if you are staying in a stone-age country like mine, use Skype. Also, they are pretty affordable. If you are someone looking for quality then skip Skype. They do not have call recording options and their support is the worst of all.
Their support people are polite, however, most of the ones I have spoken with are more interested in telling me what "won't happen" instead of what can happen (alternative). Skype's system is totally flawed. Their agents cannot tell you anything because the system gives them limited information.
April 21, 2020
We use Skype to communicate and hold global meetings with each other while abroad.
  • Global video-calls
  • Making it easier to communicate with time changes
  • Free or cheaper video calls
  • Making an account takes a long time
  • Charges for some calls
  • Webex is used more
Skype is well suited for when you are calling one person who is abroad. It's harder to use for big meetings and can get pricey.
It works well and it's secure but you have to pay to use Skype globally.
November 18, 2019
Ricardo G Lopes | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it for business meetings to provide quotes, discuss these quotes, and perform closings. We no longer provide very simple remote support, as this feature has been deprecated. We also participate in team status meetings using audio, not video. For phone services, I used to have a foreign phone number for an overseas branch, and it was a pretty useful feature, as the local customer thought we were answering locally. Now, we don't have operations in that location.
We also perform multi-country team meetings, which expedite decisions and make them more consensual.
  • Phone calls. This is the best feature Skype produces, and it has been good since inception. You can buy new numbers; you can reroute calls, you can mute, you can do three-party calls, and more.
  • Foreign numbers. That is important for persons who have relatives in other countries, as they make local calls only to reach you and they don't get charged for the international calls, you are.
  • Call quality. For many years, Skype has produced the best audio quality and the call stability is excellent. The VoIP competitors have a much lower stability.
  • Skype for Windows takes a lot of time to load and start. Unexpectedly, a Microsoft product is so slow to start when the Windows and Skype engineers are under the same umbrella.
  • Significant confusion for login credentials. Is the phone number the primary credential? Or is the login ID? Same phone number cannot be used for two logins! So, login ID is not irrelevant?
  • Remote access functions have been deprecated but no indication whatsoever to where they have been ported if any. It would be very polite if Skype would say: "This functionality is now under product X."
  • Product vision. On Messaging, is it a competitor of WhatsApp? On Notifications, is it a competitor of Twitter? On Phone calls, is it a future competitor of the Telephone companies? Who knows where this product will be in the next three years? I like Microsoft a lot, but here is where I suggest calling Steve Ballmer for a 30-minutes vision conversation, and you guys will be all set.
Skype is well suited for small offices, interaction with home-based employees, multi-country audio meetings (assuming there is a universal language), one-on-one coaching, or performance appraisal. Low customer assistance center using foreign numbers.
It is less appropriate for video conferences where a leader allows many participants to speak, share documents, and interact using their cameras (PC or cell phones) all at the same time. Zoom has taken the lead in this area. It is sad to see that PlaceWare, a pioneer at one time, has lagged behind after Microsoft bought it.
I am not aware of the current support level for Skype for business, as I have never used even though I have the product.
However, the support for Skype's personal paid users is not where it could be. Users who pay for Skype features do not have a clear path to reach out to support. So, rating 6, can be better as soon as I need to use Skype for business support and get a good experience. I will say that I will renew Skype for Business subscription, which is a significant inconsistency on my end. The explanation is that Skype for Business comes bundled with Office for Business, with no additional cost, so why not.
Read Ricardo G Lopes's full review
September 10, 2019
Ho'omana Nathan Horton | TrustRadius Reviewer
Skype is included with the university's Office 365 subscription, and all Active Directory users can access and be contacted via Skype. We sometimes use it for within- and between-department communication, especially for quick instant messaging. Skype is, of course, one of the original household names in videoconferencing, etc., but we don't use it much for that on a daily basis.
  • Skype for Business has grown quite a lot since its days as Microsoft Lync and is now quite nicely integrated with almost facets of Windows and Office (and other Microsoft stuff).
  • It's nice for inter-office communication when everyone's using Active Directory and has Skype for Business running.
  • Skype for Business works well even on non-Windows and/or non-university machines (e.g. personal computers).
  • Skype in general, including the Business version, can be pretty clunky, and surprisingly resource-hungry, especially when it's always running, and on machines with lower specs.
  • This resource hungriness can be worth it for quick IMs to other members of the same organization, but I really have a hard time recommending Skype over something like Zoom for videoconferencing.
  • Video communication with others in the same organization just doesn't always seem to work very well, even on the same network.
Skype is pretty good as an integrated tool for quick communication between departments. However, Zoom is lightyears ahead of Skype (and everything else we've tried) as a videoconferencing solution. Teams (another, newer Microsoft product) works for all the things I like about Skype namely within-organization collaboration and communication and is more streamlined and tightly connected to the Office suite in ways that Skype is not.
Skype has been around long enough that there's quite a lot of resources available online, including from Microsoft. However, this can also be problematic since it's been through so many versions, and sometimes support for one version or iteration of Skype is totally irrelevant for the most recent version. This has improved recently as Microsoft has worked to unify their apps, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.
Read Ho'omana Nathan Horton's full review
November 19, 2019
Vivian Vassar | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Skype to talk to staff who work remotely and who don't come into the office. We also use Skype to talk to suppliers who use the video to show us products and goods that we might want to buy. It's easier to see details and we can see how the goods look in real life rather than just seeing them in pictures.
  • It is easy to use Skype to leave messages and set up a time to connect especially if the other person is in a different time zone.
  • Everyone is familiar with Skype so we don't have to spend time explaining it.
  • It's easy to keep track of our contacts.
  • The visual and audio quality depends on the internet connection. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is broken up and we have to try again later or use the phone.
  • Using Skype on a cell phone is easy to set up but the quality on cell phones is very hit or miss.
We have used Skype to conduct interviews and if the internet connection is good it makes it easier to conduct the interview because you can see the person's face, hear their voice, and judge how the interview is going. If the connection is bad it is very distracting and not worth it. It can throw the whole interview off.
I have tried researching how to get better quality and most suggestions don't help or only help a little. I have used their help section but haven't contacted support directly.
Read Vivian Vassar's full review
October 30, 2019
Kinga Odziemek | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Skype mainly for communication with our Remote team, Outsourcing teams and some of our clients who do not like other communication platforms. We use it on a daily basis, using both desktop and mobile apps. We have been using it from the very start of Brainy Bees, I have also used it personally.
  • Accessibility.
  • User-friendly interface.
  • Good quality of calls.
  • Lighter apps (so they would not lag on any devices).
  • Better quality of the video (audio is flawless).
Skype will work well if you are on the go and need to communicate with your clients and team. It is a stable desktop app too, will definitely play a significant role in each and every organization. It helps teams communicate better, more often and in the most efficient way, especially if they work remotely and hate e-mail communication if they prefer a quick chat or call.
Anytime I had any problems with Skype, the Customer team was there to help me. However, their help section is so advanced that I found many answers there without being forced to ask them in any other communication channels. It works really well and it is a very reliable tool for companies.
Read Kinga Odziemek's full review
October 28, 2019
Ray Fisher | TrustRadius Reviewer
Using Skype allows our team to have meetings without leaving your desk. This gives us the ability to have meetings more frequently than you would if you were to all meet in one location. Skype also allows you to join in on meetings by mobile devices. This saves so much unneeded drive time and is so much more convenient for all.
  • It allows you to join in on meetings while out in the field by a mobile device.
  • Skype gives you the comfort of meeting from your own office/desk.
  • Skype saves you drive time and fuel costs.
  • Skype does everything that we expect it to do. No complaints that I am aware of.
Skype is great for group meetings and to cover company progress, goals, etc. I personally would not use Skype for employee reviews, promotions, disciplinary actions etc. I think there are a lot of advantages to using Skype for group meetings but I also believe that some meetings need to be personal and face to face.
We have not had any issues in using the system and getting started was very user-friendly.
Read Ray Fisher's full review
October 17, 2019
Shawngela Pierce | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Skype mostly for online video consultations with my clients. Skype is a great tool to have and use because it helps me to contact my clients for free—even my clients who are in another country. I can use it to chat with them, video calls or just use it to call them without the video.
  • Skype does video calls very well. The connection is usually good and the video quality is good.
  • The app for Skype on my iPad Pro is pretty awesome. I hardly ever use Skype on my computer because it has all the features I need.
  • I like that Skype is free for what I need. I have never needed to purchase Skype credits because I don't need to use voice mail, send SMS texts or make calls to a landline, cell or outside of Skype.
  • Honestly, I wish Skype was integrated more into the other apps I use. Although I do use Skype a lot, I prefer to use Google Meets because I automatically get a conference link when I add a meeting to my calendar. This just makes it easier for me.
  • Other than the above, I think Skype does a really good job - so good that most people mention Skype when I offer to do a video chat.
Skype is definitely suitable for businesses that need to meet in a virtual environment. It is free if the other person is using Skype. I have never done the group calls but I could definitely see this as being beneficial for companies that have employees in different areas. Using Skype for that scenario would be very cost-effective.
Skype has excellent customer support. Their documentation is very thorough so most of the time you don't even need to contact anyone. The turnaround time is very quick when you do though.
Read Shawngela Pierce's full review
September 22, 2019
Kaleb-John Loo | TrustRadius Reviewer
Skype is used to communicate within the office. Whether we require a simple quick instant message, a phone call, or a video call, Skype provides the means to reliably relay information. With Skype being installed on all of the computers and providing each employee with an account, it means that we can create an interoffice communication network when emails are not sufficient enough. Skype saves time by providing an instant connection between employees so that they can address any problem with a quick conversation.
  • Solid desktop application.
  • Good mobile application.
  • Array of features.
  • High-quality video and voice.
  • Configuration of Skype is particular.
  • If you have multiple input devices, it can be cumbersome to set up the correct one.
  • Sometimes it is not desired to launch Skype, but it is enabled by default. You have to change your settings to disable Skype.
If everyone in the office utilizes Skype, it can be a great tool for office communication. However, when some employees only stick to email, it loses its effectiveness as the messages that you send are never received. Skype is also good if your customers or other businesses utilize it, but if not, then there is also little value there.
Skype provides a lot of good documentation on its feature set. A lot of the settings are intuitive and easy to use. It is a widely utilized program that has a ton of helpful articles online and if required, the Skype support team is more than willing to help solve issues with the application.
Read Kaleb-John Loo's full review
September 17, 2019
Lindsey Schultz | TrustRadius Reviewer
Skype is being used to communicate internally with coworkers as opposed to email or getting up to talk to someone. It is used by all departments across the organization and it makes it easy to communicate when a quick response is needed especially with remote employees.
  • Offers immediate sending and receiving of messages between coworkers.
  • This is very easy to use for remote employees vs picking up the phone to answer a simple question.
  • It makes it easy to see if employees are busy in a meeting, free, or idle in order to see if they are ready and available to chat.
  • It is very straight forward and easy to use, I am not sure if it can get any easier!
  • It would be nice to have an easier way to set up group chats on Skype.
Skype is great if an entire organization, especially remote folks, are always logged on and ready to chat when not in a meeting. It would not work well if certain people were not logged on and easily accessible. It is very easy to see if someone is busy or available and is much easier than picking up the phone or getting out of your seat.
I have not had any issues, so I am just assuming support is great!
Read Lindsey Schultz's full review
January 08, 2020
Tomer Nuni | TrustRadius Reviewer
Skype is the main international communications utility we have been using to communicate with our partners and customers abroad, especially when we need to share our screens to present and collaborate.
  • Screen sharing
  • International phone calls
  • Syncing with Bluetooth hearing devices can be smoother
  • Screen sharing on low bandwidth gets stuck sometimes and requires us to restart the call
Skype is a great tool to collaborate while working with international team members overseas. It [allows] us to create international presentations (or even local but remote ones), to share our screens to go over bugs or to share design ideas, and makes all of our communication easier. Skype is also used by us for regular phone calls using VOIP and saves us a lot of money for international phone calls.
We have never used Skype's support. Everything works great.
Read Tomer Nuni's full review
September 12, 2019
Emmy Hammond | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a small (but growing pretty quickly) legal services organization that uses a variety of communication platforms, including Skype, to communicate with our partners, pro bono attorneys, board members, and clients around the world. Every department uses Skype for different reasons, but I would say it is most heavily used by the direct services department, which provides legal aid. It is a way for us to communicate across different time zones.
  • Many people are familiar with Skype and used to how it operates as opposed to some other platforms that aren't as popular.
  • Audio and visual is usually high quality, although this does depend largely on the internet connection on both ends.
  • Easy to initiate calls with contacts once they have been added.
  • It seems like the user interface changes fairly often and that can be confusing to adjust to if you don't use it super regularly.
  • When the internet connection isn't good, audio and especially visual loses quality or becomes laggy.
  • Not super clear how to troubleshoot or contact support when you need to fix a call issue really quickly.
Skype is good for international calls because many people are familiar with it and have used it as a primary communication tool for years. However, there are some other new platforms that can be easier to integrate into calendaring systems, depending on what your office is already using. For instance, Google Hangouts is quicker and easier if your office already schedules using Gmail and Google Calendar, because a distinct link and conference line are automatically generated. Still, Skype is useful for contacting people outside your organization, especially if they are overseas.
It's not always that clear how to contact customer support, and usually, when we have an issue it needs to be resolved ASAP in order to start a meeting. Support is generally very helpful, however, the issues that arise usually need to be addressed immediately and there's not always an easy way to do this.
Read Emmy Hammond's full review
September 12, 2019
Carlo Borja | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have been using Skype mostly to communicate with people outside of the organization. It has been the default communication tool we have had for years. Audio and video work great together to be able to hold efficient virtual team meetings. It has also been a way for us to know who is currently online and who is not available.
  • Video chat. It's smooth and the technology has been well perfected over the years.
  • It's fast. It loads and logs in instantly.
  • Very easy to use. No steep learning curve required.
  • Too much RAM usage. It is eating up all of our computer's resources.
  • There is a considerable lag for older computers doing a screen share.
  • Cannot handle a lot of users simultaneously doing a video chat.
Skype is great for video calls that involve less than 10 people. So, you would have to use other alternatives if you decide to do a company-wide chat of more than 10.

Skype's archive of messages is really great if you plan on storing conversation history for a long time.

If your computer is old, you may have trouble using it to the full. It hogs up computer memory.
I never once had a problem. But, they have some really good help articles on the website.
Read Carlo Borja's full review
December 05, 2019
Colt Bewley | TrustRadius Reviewer
Skype is being used across the entire organization. One of the biggest areas it addresses is the ability to interview candidates who are not local. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on flights, rental car. hotel, etc., we are able to interview them via Skype and usually make a decision without the need to fly them out. We also utilize Messenger through our organization, which is also helpful considering we have 3 corporate offices and over 80 facilities statewide.
  • Communication - face to face from different locations
  • Conduct interviews with candidates who aren't local
  • Great for video conferences as well.
  • Sometimes we have connectivity issues, but that's probably more on our end.
  • Nothing else. We love the product.
Well Suited:
  • Interviews with candidates who aren't local
  • Video conferences
  • Using Messenger to communicate with someone
We have no complaints with Skype. We are very happy with it, therefore the high rating.
Read Colt Bewley's full review
November 26, 2019
David Krat | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Skype throughout our company as an instant messenger, I rarely use it for phone calls or videos, but other employees do.
  • Skype is great for instant communication
  • Skype is good for getting an answer quick
  • It's great for VoIP.
  • I kinda wish I could reach my Google Hangouts contacts in Skype.
  • Sometimes it's hard to find a user without asking them for their info.
Skype is great for communicating with people within and outside my organization. Some of our backend people work remotely, we use Skype to get an answer while talking with a customer on the phone. i also use Skype to send files.
I've never needed support for Skype, but Microsoft maintains a large and thorough knowledge base online. Also because Skype is a Microsoft product, it is very easy and intuitive for any Windows user to operate. I've never had problems with Skype and so I've never required any kind of support. I grew up with computers and I find it easy to use!
Read David Krat's full review
October 06, 2019
Gil Parrish | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Skype from our desktop computers. It enables us to communicate with clients and prospective clients without using personal cell phones or landline phones.
  • Voice quality is excellent as compared to some other VOIP services.
  • Allows for recording and tracking of calls.
  • Maintains phonebook.
  • Updates should be sent as proactive emails.
  • Messaging is a little awkward.
  • Need the ability to change Skype name on the fly.
Skype is well suited to use in an environment where cubicles and headphones provide privacy and noise control. Skype is not suited for noisy or bullpen type office arrangements.
Skype is intuitive and is extremely easy to use. Staff like the interface. They like the voice quality and overall capabilities of Skype. Most of the staff have had prior experience with Skype on a personal basis. We can easily find help and support in user forums on the internet. Good product!
Read Gil Parrish's full review
September 24, 2019
Erica Terry | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used Skype as a department for meetings among the team, when we worked remotely, traveled etc. It allows those not available in the office to be able to interact and be a part of a in person meeting, while still being able to be home or anywhere! Skype can also be used on your phone which makes it all the easier to connect with those around you.
  • Love the document sharing and the text message chatting as well
  • Makes international calls easy, for a more personal feel
  • Spontaneity with this application makes connecting with others easy, and fun!
  • Sometimes it has trouble connecting to the server, so it can be spotty
  • It can freeze and stop when connection is spotty and take some time to reload.
Skype was extremely helpful when we had a team meeting and it was mandatory and I was out of the office working remotely and needed to be able to call in. It is also well suited for those international clients needing to call in, text chat, video share etc. It is less appropriate in a setting that video or sound is not approved. However, you are still able to chat with one another.
I haven't had to use the customer support for this service so I rated it as equal.
Read Erica Terry's full review
September 15, 2019
Mark Cruver, M. Ed. CSA, CEP | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used Skype as a backup video conferencing tool when others fail to operate in a stable environment. We have found it to be less stable than other platforms but serves our needs in communicating with students. We find that many households are familiar with Skype and the brand holds respect that is welcomed.
  • Unlimited time.
  • Ease of use.
  • User friendly.
  • Screen sharing.
  • Presentations.
  • More secure.
Skype serves individual, one-on-one conversations very well. I have had trouble with sound quality in the past, but it often clears up over time. Video bandwidth can be a problem for many users, so ensuring use on a wifi connection is almost imperative for any scenario. Otherwise, it is good for most any circumstance.
I have never had to reach out for support, and generally speaking, when you need support it's not because the product is good.
Read Mark Cruver, M. Ed. CSA, CEP's full review

High quality audio (85)
High quality video (83)
Low bandwidth requirements (82)
Mobile support (75)
Desktop sharing (75)
Whiteboards (38)
Calendar integration (50)
Meeting initiation (66)
Integrates with social media (44)
Record meetings / events (44)
Slideshows (44)
Live chat (72)
Audience polling (37)
Q&A (36)
User authentication (60)
Participant roles & permissions (55)
Confidential attendee list (40)

What is Skype?

Skype (the personal edition) is a free web meeting, video conferencing, and VoIP software. The free version includes instant messaging, audio and video Skype-to-Skype calls, the ability to call mobile phones and landlines, paid international calling, and conference calling capabilities for up to 25 people. During video sessions, users also have the option to share their screen with other participants. Other distinctive features include background blurring, voice and text translation, location share, conversation search, and integration with Microsoft's Digital Assistant, Cortana.

This version of Skype works on phones, desktop, tablet, browsers, Alexa, and Xbox. Users can call landlines and mobile phones from around the world by paying for Skype Credit or signing up for Skype subscriptions, a monthly contract for users who only need service to specific regions. Users can also pay to have a local phone number through Skype Numbers, so that they can answer phone calls from their desktops, tablets, or smartphones. They can also send SMS text messages and share their location using the Skype mobile app.

Skype Technical Details