Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
High quality audio (129)
Desktop sharing (112)
High quality video (127)
Low bandwidth requirements (124)
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Skype, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
Skype (the personal edition) is a free web meeting, video
conferencing, and VoIP software. The free version includes instant messaging, audio
and video Skype-to-Skype calls, the ability to call mobile phones and
landlines, paid international calling, and conference calling capabilities for
up to 25 people. During video sessions, users also have the option to share
their screen with other participants. Other distinctive features include background blurring, voice and text translation, location share, conversation search, and integration with Microsoft's Digital Assistant, Cortana.
This version of Skype works on phones, desktop, tablet, browsers, Alexa, and Xbox. Users can call landlines and mobile phones from around the world by paying for Skype Credit or signing up for Skype subscriptions, a monthly contract for users who only need service to specific regions. Users can also pay to have a local phone number through Skype Numbers, so that they can answer phone calls from their desktops, tablets, or smartphones. They can also send SMS text messages and share their location using the Skype mobile app.
- Because of the pandemic we all are working from home, our daily meetings are now through Skype.
- We can connect to anybody anytime without any dependencies.
- One negative point is that anybody can send messages or even call you at any time.
- Increased communication within teams
- Increased communication between teams
- More effective productivity
- Its very positive in terms of communication channel
- It has expedited our contracting time where before things were typically in person or over the phone. This allows us to solidify contracts for our events weeks earlier than before.
- No negative impacts that are applicable.
- Allows employees to get the most out of their working hours by fitting more schedules and calls in.
- My department does not use Skype in a way that would be seen as generating a return on investment but for what the product does it is a good value.
- It really closes the distance gap in working with offices that are far away. Conference calls can be so soul crushing, this is a much better option.
- The only negative impact is that it is not the only video conferencing tool that I use. Given that it is not as strong of a multi user platform I can't say that it may cover every need that every office would have.
- We have continued to engage our customers through the pandemic.
- We were able to stay on message in a virtual environment.
- We closed sales without being F to F.
- Used be really great program but is now becoming bit dated.
- Interface and program needs bit modernisation.
- Still works well for me.
- It is cost-effective and helps you build a global presence by allowing you to get numbers in regions or countries of your choice.
- The calling plans are cheap and affordable.
- It has an easy to use mobile app that allows you to take calls on the go.
- Very useful for remote interviews and during work from home.
- Remote issue resolution using Skype enables us to provide complete technical assistance to clients since email contact alone is seldom adequate.
- Online meetings provide for business continuity and cost savings owing to remote access.
- Skype has made it easier to work with local partners and communicate with international customers.
- 100% ROI
- It has helped the team stay in touch during the Pandemic.
- Positive: cost, it's affordable and often included in your Microsoft Suite
- Negative: due to the bad audio quality, we had to pay extra for another service even though this is already included in what we pay for
- Positive: people found it extremely easy to use, the UX/UI is very understandable for surface level use
- Negative: the surface level use is about all that Skype is good for. Getting into more advanced user settings is not simple and does not always work well
- It has a positive impact in that it has allowed users to still stay productive, without requiring upfront costs for training for users.
- It has also led to less IT support overall, since it integrates really well across multiple platforms/OS's and within different programs, such as MS Office.
- The biggest negative impact is that is not the most stable platform from a security standpoint, and also tends to have more stability issues than other collaboration tools out there.
- Easy video calls
- Simple to use
- Good to use for remote interviews
- Works with most platforms
- Some older devices don't connect as well
- More affordable than Zoom
- I can't judge ROI, since I don't know the cost of using Microsoft tools campus-wide.
- It help me a lot for my office meetings.
- It only sometimes took a lot of time of sharing a file.
- I loved this software.
- It's free for small groups of users, perfect for small startups
- Savings in transportation and lodging expenses for us and our business partners
- Less time wasted getting to meetings during business hours
- Less human interaction with old school businesses has had more of a negative impact
- Ease of use
- Easy to set up
- Presentation mode is good and stable
- Only one word - it's free
- Skype is free and the ability to have multiple people dial in and participate in a recorded call that can then be made into a podcast is fantastic
- The cross-platform ability of Skype allows us to include anyone, regardless of the hardware they possess
- The video quality and audio quality are very good, and even using mobile phones the connection is solid.
- More collaboration with team members across organization as can easily find people
- Clear visibility of status so not disturbed by IMs throughout the day
- Can be frustrating so people don't use when Skype is experiencing issues
- Skype is free to use desktop to desktop, so that price is great
- It is nice you can purchase credits as needed to call numbers directly