Great Communication Solution

May 17, 2022
Slack has become a central communication tool within our organization. As we've grown in size, it makes it much easier to group teams or …

Team collaboration tool

April 20, 2022
We used Slack groups for specific teams and projects. It provides a closed space for team members to collaberate with each other sharing …

Amazing and a must to have !

March 28, 2022
We use it all working day long between each other to follow all our projects. Brief, back and forth, approvals, QA, changes requests and …

Keep a Slack in Your Bag

February 25, 2022
We use Slack for daily, 'quick' communication with coworkers. For each department, localization, topic, or team we've got different …

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2022

9.2

Discussions (243)

9.2

Notifications (249)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Slack, and make your voice heard!

Standard

Per User Per Month

Plus

Per User Per Month

Project Management

Communication

File Sharing & Management

What is Slack?

The company has raised $340M in funding and boasts 800k users.

Slack Video

Work in progress | Slack

Slack Integrations

Slack Competitors

Slack Technical Details

What is Slack?

Slack is a group messaging or team collaboration app that aims to simplify communication for businesses. Features include open discussions, private groups, and direct messaging, as well as deep contextual search and message archiving, and file sharing. Slack integrates with a number of other tools, such as MailChimp, Dropbox, and Google Drive. Slack was acquired by Salesforce in December 2020. The product is free to use, and also has paid plans with more features and greater controls. The company has raised $340M in funding and boasts 800k users.

What is Slack's best feature?

Reviewers rate Chat highest, with a score of 9.7.

Who uses Slack?

The most common users of Slack are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Computer Software industry.

I can be on a phone call and still answer questions without being interrupted. This helps with increasing the opportunities for us to serve our clients. Instead of having to update my status because of a meeting, Outlook is connected. Saves me a few steps of changing status or calls getting transferred while I am in a meeting.
I think that in any setting Slack is a very helpful communication tool but it lacks in extra abilities such as "project managing" I know that isn't the focus of Slack but it would be cool to have a "channel" where it was essentially a whiteboard for a team to add to and help keep track of priorities. I love Slack and its remind feature, it is a very underrated feature that I think is AMAZING.
It just makes communication easy between teams and when creating groups also streamlines communication as well. It works well both internally and externally with clients. Adding clients from external organizations is also easy and promotes team collaboration and offers simplicity. Its ability to integrate with apps like Jira where issues being reported can quickly get added on also provides efficient means for teams to do their jobs quicker which would give an overall better journey, especially from the communication side.
I preferred to use Slack in place of meetings to problem-solve on the spot or ask simple questions and check-in with co-workers. I did not like to use Slack to receive requests in place of emails or JIRA tickets because I found that as an IM, it was far too easy to lose track of those requests.
Great for both in office and remote environments as a supplement to internal email. Whereas email communication can be slow and crowded, Slack allows for quick communication that is well organized. Great for corporate, internal communication that can also be utilized for outsourcing operations. For long and detailed announcements, especially ones involving legal implications, Slack should not be utilized over email.
For most of what we use Slack for currently it works very well. I recommend Slack to other people whenever they ask what we use as an internal communication platform. I particularly like using the Slack to Zoom integration. If I am already logged in to Zoom and want to start a Zoom meeting on the fly if I am communicating with someone via Slack just type /Zoom into the conversation and it starts Zoom and sends an invitation.
In my opinion, team meetings are not that good compared to other platforms. From my experience, initial or new users face difficulty getting used to it. I feel it needs more simplified Slack calls features. I think only Group chat feature is good. In my opinion, the team calling feature can be improved and automated call disconnecting should be there. I feel the join huddle option is not required it’s confusing.
In the case where everyone wants to work remote (either pandemic or gas savings), having a formal platform for communication of interdepartmental, in your own team or individually, Slack would be a lot better than WhatsApp or regular messenger, because it would be a neutral application that everyone can access. Perhaps if everyone already has good channels of communication, then a chat based platform can disconnect people or discourage face to face comm's.
It is perfect for writing conversations for small groups of people. For example members who are part of the same ongoing project. Because we can easily trace the information in the channel dedicated to this project.It is less suitable when it comes time to put a creative brief in a channel. That is to say that it is difficult to update the information afterwards, since the thread of conversation continues and it takes a long time to come back up to consult the pinned brief.
Marvin Malinao | TrustRadius Reviewer
Well suited if you manage one business. This is a great tool to use. It's so easy to use and well-packed for a lot of features you need like tracking orders, managing your team and departments, sending group and direct messages, managing documents, jotting down notes, etc.
Jay Thakkar | TrustRadius Reviewer
Slack is used in an organization where there are multiple projects are running, we can easily manage those by creating the channel for each project and add members who are working for that project.
We can manage our meetings by integrating the Google Calendar into slack by that way slack also remind us before a meeting as a notification.
Slack is well suited to update quick insights to the team about an ongoing project and to also link Jira Confluence and tickets. However, once the project is in the last presentation stages, I would not prefer slack as the formal language of the platform doesn't suit the presentation of high-level insight.
February 25, 2022

Keep a Slack in Your Bag

Slack is well suited in big organizations with many departments and teams, between which daily communication is occurring. It's good for less formal, quick communication. It's comfortable to use Slack on a mobile phone, so would be also useful while traveling. It is less appropriate in organizations where teams are working in silos or require more formal communication.
Slack is very useful for me in terms of work, where I can search [for] a member and can get [a] response from them directly instead if sending mail and waiting. We can have multiple members in a chat instead of creating a new channel, which I can say is an amazing feature.
Christopher Fazio | TrustRadius Reviewer
My company uses Slack for all communication, as it is a direct way to contact people without relying so much on email. It is a great group chat device that also allows for sharing of files and important data. It seems much more user-friendly than Teams. We have several "channels" set up with different departments, so it is very easy to send a message out to just those people that need to be included. I would recommend this over teams any day.
Anurag Bharti | TrustRadius Reviewer
Well suited:
For direct message.
For message chat in a channel.
For messaging in various threads.
For starring a channel.For sharing the threads with peers.
For discussion with peers on the huddle.
Not suited:
For huddling with peers need to screen share (it hangs/freezes a lot).
For multiple screen share at a time.
Sophia Takeva | TrustRadius Reviewer
I like the user experience when I start to chat with a specific team member or colleague. It is easy to find all of them. I like the navigation bar. I like the tips and tricks sometimes. It is easier for one-to-one calls. For group calls, I think there is room for improvement by adding other colleagues to the call. Can it be done faster, with suggestions for your team members?
Paul Ladd | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's great for keeping groups of people in touch and in sync, no matter the reason: a group of friends, a family, a small business, or a large business. My family even uses it to plan events, share funny pictures, or broadcast important family news. However, it's less appropriate for keeping contact between just two or three people, unless they're working on a complex project that could benefit from sectioning various conversations into specific channels.
Slack is suited in all types of organizations [that] have structure expanded over various departments and particularly those which operate in more than one country around the world where frequent communications and team setups are necessary to accomplish the routine tasks and get things addressed across borders around the globe.
Will Emmerson | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's great for any company that requires quick/instant communication. We use Google Workspace, but it integrates well with Google Calendar so that's not a problem. I can see how anyone who uses primarily Office 365 tools may want to use Microsoft Teams, as it's more integrated with that ecosystem than Slack.