Smartlook Reviews

Louis Schietekat | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2020

Great for startups!

Smartlook is used by me as the sole developer of our website and marketing campaigns. Since we are a startup company Smartlook is providing us invaluable insight as to how our users interact with our website, landing pages, and sales funnels. It has helped me identify website issues on specific screen sizes.
  • Smartlook has an awesome funnel visualization tool which is much easier to set up compared to Facebook and Google Analytics.
  • Smartlook incorporates great filtering functionality to group your recordings for east processing.
  • The free trial is loaded with functionality.
  • Privacy issues with other countries are unclear (especially in Europe).
  • Even though recordings are only kept for 30 days it would be useful if the old recording info is still available such as date and time.
  • The assistant pop-ups are useful sometimes and annoying sometimes. It would like to be able to enable/disable them.
Smartlook is well suited for any new website to understand how new users interact with the different aspects of the website. I guess it would not be appropriate to use Smartlook on specific websites where privacy issues would block or severely limit the recording of most of the user activities.
The only customer support interaction I've had is that Jan sent me an email in which he offered another 30-day full functionality trail if I submit my product review here on TrustRadius. I feel that really generous and exactly what my startup business needs right now. We would be happy to pay for this service once our sales funnels start generating some revenue.
Read Louis Schietekat's full review
Nikol Burešová | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 16, 2019

Get smarter with Smartlook

Smartlook is used by our marketing department and website developers. Thanks to Smartlook, we get important data that help us make our website more user-friendly for potential adopters of our animals. Also, fundraising strategy has become more efficient. Furthermore, we use the data to increase the sales in our online charity shop.
  • Heatmaps help you better understand how end-users use your website. Thanks to the data provided by Smartlook, you can adjust your website and make it more user-friendly.
  • Smartlook has fantastic funnels which help you analyse your data and understand them.
  • Records. You can just sit back and watch how the end-user used your website, where exactly they clicked etc.
  • In general, we are VERY HAPPY with Smartlook. It has everything a beginner needs.
  • Could use a mobile application perhaps?
Smartlook is best suited for websites where the end-user is expected to do something - read articles, shop, use an app. It is less suited for heatmaps of a mobile device.
Smartlook helpdesk people are very friendly and you can meet them at conferences where they are willing to discuss an analysis of your data. The helpdesk is very fast and efficient. They were always able to answer my questions.
Read Nikol Burešová's full review
claudia Koehoorn | TrustRadius Reviewer

Get smart with Smartlook

We use Smartlook to monitor our website, track where the visitors engage or seek information. Smartlook helps to understand what visitors find interesting and appealing or not by recording the time the visitor spends on the website and which pages he or she visits. It's a great service. We use this information to enhance our website and services.
  • Shows how long people stay on your website
  • Shows which pages of your website they visit
  • Shows where your visitors come from
  • Gives you insight into the visitor's interests
Smartlook is very easy to use and provides lots of information
It's so easy to use because you get automatic support when using Smartlook
Read claudia Koehoorn's full review
Ray Mai | TrustRadius Reviewer

A casual review of Smartlook

Smarklook is being used by the marketing department only and we are using it to create heat maps so we can have a better understanding of our website"s user behaviors. Besides that, the tracking function is quite helpful as well. Being able to see how the users actually interact with our websites helps the marketing team develop the website into the next level.
  • Heatmap function
  • User behavior tracking
  • Pricing is customizable and reasonable
  • Should have connected with google analytic
  • Should be able to tell the reference difference (like youtube ads and search ads)
  • The free trial should seriously have more monthly session
There are times that I am confused with google analytic's bonce rate since it counts as a bounce if the users aren't interacting with multiple pages. Smartlook is extremely helpful in terms of checking users' behavior who has only 1-page interaction. As an analytic assistant tool, Smartlook works essentially well when you use it along with Google Analytics.
I haven't faced any issues that I need to contact the support team, but they have always been pro-active and sending me advice and tips.
Read Ray Mai's full review
Penta Mauqa | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 06, 2019

Getting to know your users

We are using Smartlook to run qualitative analysis of user behaviour on our app. It is being used by the Product and Growth department. It helps us identify the issues and pain points within our app which leads to an informed decision while creating a solution.
  • Provides session recording of what your users are actually doing in their app
  • Lets you apply filters to get to different segments of your user base and observe their behavior
  • Gives event tracking and funnels to help you understand your user's journey
  • The visual design is a little outdated
It's well suited when your app is struggling to produce results and you cannot understand the issues of the app. It is less needed if you are just starting out or do not have enough users. Also, you need to have some quantitative data at hand as well as knowing what's working and what's not.
They have a prompt and easy to find customer support. Although I did not have any issues where I had to reach out to them. The product was easy to understand and so was the product documentation.
Read Penta Mauqa's full review
Vadim Shchedrinski | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 06, 2019

Smartlook is a fantastic way to help you improve your website and customer journey.

We implemented Smartlook to help us better understand our users needs. We are able to see any issues that they have with using our website and what content they are looking for. This is a great tool for any organization and we recommend it highly to our clients and business partners.
  • Tracking user actions.
  • Understanding customer journey
  • Helping us make business decisions.
Any business with a website where you want to know what your customers are doing and how you can improve your process. This is quite an amazing tool and we are planning on using it extensively in the future.
Great chat feature and immediate help!
Read Vadim Shchedrinski's full review
Francesco Fraioli | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 31, 2019

The best alternative to FullStory

Smartlook is used by my company to monitor usability throughout the whole app. It's going to be used by the product team, mainly the design team to understand, keep track and learn from our users.
  • Easy to create a project and add tracking events to it.
  • I like funnel functionality.
  • Interface very user-friendly.
  • I wish the recordings would be available immediately, seems that there is no "live" view experience.
So far Smartlook fits perfectly with our workflow. I have to look more into how difficult is to turn off recording for some portions of our app, we don't need to record everything, I hope there is the ability to do so on the admin level instead of in the code.
I haven't need to contact them yet.
Read Francesco Fraioli's full review
Bryon McCartney | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 07, 2019

Smartlook is a smart product.

I'm currently using the trial version of the app. I've used it before on another website and it's a fantastic product. It's amazing to be able to see what users do on your site and to better understand how you can make improvements. If you have not tried it, I highly recommend this app.
  • Easy to setup
  • Fast results
  • None
This is for anyone who has a website and wanted to make improvements to it. You can discover how users are interacting with your website and how your content and design affect user interaction. The site records actual videos of your user's mouse actions in real-time. A cool feature is the ability to skip periods of inactivity.
I do not have any experience with support.
Read Bryon McCartney's full review
Heather Robinette, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 26, 2019

A Need-to-Have Marketing Tool

Smartlook is used mainly to see how website visitors interact with our website. Our marketing department mainly uses it, but the information is shared across the company. It has helped us address website issues such as realizing visitors think something is a button when it really isn't. The information it has provided us has been valuable and helpful for our marketing.
  • Heat Maps - It gives you a better idea of where you're customers are looking on your website.
  • Visitor Recordings - It gives us an idea of what the flow is when they get to the website.
  • Rage Clicks - This alerts us to things visitors think they should be able to click, but can't.
  • I wish it integrated with HubSpot so we could tie the information together.
  • I wish there were recommendations for funnels to better understand the visitor's journey.
  • I wish there was a way to archive Heat Maps and not have to delete them.
Smartlook is suited for companies of any size. I believe any company could find value in using Smartlook. It is a great tool for marketing teams to understand the visitor's journey and for the team that manages the website to understand changes that can be made to optimize the website.
In my few encounters they have been great to work with and very easy. I haven't needed to use support more than a handful of times when I couldn't figure out why a heatmap wasn't working properly. They were very prompt and friendly in their response. They were able to guide me through the steps and resolve my issues.
Read Heather Robinette, MBA's full review
Pablo López Mayayo | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 31, 2019

Useful, first-hand behaviour insights

It's used by the Marketing and Design Department in order to store and analyse data about our online store user experience.
  • Easy-to-use, Integrate and interpretate
  • Clear examples of UX fixes
  • Reduced storage needed for our data
  • Amount of time required to analyse
It's an appropriate tool for discovering issues in the UX of your site and for finding technical errors in specific cases. You can see how people navigate through your website, uses your tools, perceive your buttons, etc.
It was really useful when we found a UX issue. We were concerned about abandoned carts, and Smartlook helped us see the journey of our clients and try to improve our website to make it more appealing.

It's not useful if you want to see aggregated data, because the use of video takes too much time to watch & analyze all the individual cases. It would take too long in order to create aggregated data from the viewing sessions.
We received fast and personalised help from their support team, which is really impressive considering we're in a different time zone/country.
Read Pablo López Mayayo's full review
Jaroslav Pešek | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 18, 2019

Smartlook - Love at the first smart sight

It is used only in our department. I am the only person who works with Samrtlook in our company. We have started a new project with a new website and we need to know how people interact with it. So far I am satisfied and I am willing to use it in the future.
  • Heatmaps - so far I have not created one but I worked with them before.
  • Recording of a customers' website journey.
  • I can not see any.
I really like recording customer's walkthroughs of our website. It helps us improve not only the website but we suddenly realize the advantages of our product which need to be communicated more.
I've never needed support. But I suppose that they are as great as the product ;)
Read Jaroslav Pešek's full review
Lior Geller | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 06, 2019

Great first experience with using Smartlook

I recently started using Smartlook to help me understand better our user funnel and I am very happy with the capabilities Smartlook enables.
With Samrtlook it is easy to get an easy understanding of the funnel and the specific user events I want to dig into.
  • Clear
  • Haven't seen any yet
Very relevant for recording app sessions. I haven't found a tool better than Smartlook.
I haven't tried yet, but my first impression, it looks like the service will be good.
Read Lior Geller's full review
Steven Wickham | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 01, 2019

Smartlook is a smart choice

We are using Smartlook as a marketing aide to track visitors to our website and to see their journey, i.e which pages they are viewing and if and where they drop off before completing registration. Using this invaluable info we can make changes to our message in our advertisements or to the info on the website.
  • It identifies the origin of the user in terms of URL.
  • We can see if our sign up form is being completed fully and submitted.
  • We can see which products on the website are viewed most often.
  • Information from filters can't always be downloaded.
It is well suited for tracking the customer journey within your website.
A bit slow to respond, but they usually do so by the next day.
Read Steven Wickham's full review
Nicolas PORTA | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 29, 2019

smartlook is really a great product to improve the user experience

Today we are a small team and globally most of the employees use this solution above all to understand the needs of users, especially in the context of improving the user experience.
  • The price is very affordable
  • Easy to use and configure
  • Consistent and qualitative functionality
  • Honestly, I can't find any faults.
Smartlook is perfectly suited to understand and improve the user experience.
At the moment I have not been in contact with support. However the documentation and videos are good.
Read Nicolas PORTA's full review
Roman Yarovyi | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 05, 2019

Smartllok - a simple and powerful service to record visits on websites

We use Smartlook for several of our projects as a solution to record the behavior of users on our websites.
It's a really good solution for:
- Recording video of the visit.
- Building click maps and heatmaps of the pages.
- Building sales funnels based on events that were triggered on the website.
- Make custom filters for the videos based on events, so you can segment videos you really need to watch.
  • Recording video of the user's visits to a project website.
  • Creating a heat map and click map for selected page on website.
  • Creating custom events that allows to filter videos and watch only very important visits.
  • Building sales funnels and track conversion and drops on every step.
  • Providing analytics and custom reports to analyze visits.
  • A trial version is available.
  • No integration with Google Tag Manager to automatically implement custom events.
  • No examples for code integration.
  • No ready integration with CRM systems, you should build your own integration.
Smartlook is a good solution for a recording the behavior of users for small and mid-size web projects (also this service can record videos for the apps, but we haven't used this). It's really great for:
  • Tracking your user's behavior and record videos based on your custom events (add to cart, button clicks, add to wishlist, etc).
  • Analyzing on what elements your users click most.
  • For small projects, you have a free plan to record 1500 visits per month.
  • Getting a detailed report of device, platform, UTM tags of the selected visit to have analytics what devices your clients are using.
Read Roman Yarovyi's full review
Anthony C | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 04, 2019

Smartlook - Instant Easy Access To User Behavior

We are new to Smartlook but our UIUX team is using it to refine our design and user flow according to customer behavior. We find the videos much easier to decipher than massive amounts of data coming from the likes of GA, FB Pixel or Mixpanel. I'm looking forward to trying and learning more about how this is really going to impact us long term.
  • Easy to understand user behavior.
  • Easy to follow UI/UX.
  • Simple installation.
Unsure at the moment.
So far so good.
Read Anthony C's full review
Mauricio Mesquita, MBA, PSM | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 30, 2019

The best choice to analyze customer behavior

We have been using Smartlook to improve our sales rates according to customer behaviors by analyzing heatmaps, events, and records.
  • Heatmaps.
  • Tracking events.
  • Visitor recording.
  • Nothing that I can think of.
Smartlook is perfect to understand your visitors and customer behaviors.
Smartlook has been great for any issues we've had, and they are very quick!
Read Mauricio Mesquita, MBA, PSM's full review
Michael Forte | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 30, 2019

Smartlook Review

It is being used by the web services department, of which I head. I like to make design, user experience, and app development decisions based on data, and this product really helps me with that.
  • Heatmap.
  • Recordings.
  • Customer journey.
  • None at this moment!
Smartlook is well suited for the analysis of how people interact with our website.
No support needed.
Read Michael Forte's full review
Daniel Jaems | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 27, 2019

Smartlook stops the guesses

So far this has been the best tool for website development transparency. I've been able to convince my company into making several improvements regarding layout and communications purely based on being able to see how users interact with our site and not just assume or use Google Analytics which is so antiquated. GA doesn't see human pondering. This has been key in shuffling things around on our site. To actually see how customers get lost or lose focus is invaluable.
  • Transparency.
  • Saves time with being able to queue events and not have to watch complete recordings.
  • Gives a sense of real users and not just stats that are intangible.
  • An additional tab that separates viewed recordings from the main list so that I have an 'inbox' of things I haven't yet seen.
  • The recordings tab could streamline so that more are visible on the list - so the list of recordings is more compact
  • The icons of men and women on the left are confusing.
On a fast-paced website where things are changing a lot, it's great to have eyes on how the site is performing. It enables you to trust in the bold changes, you can quickly see if something is not working and adjust accordingly.
I've not used the support so I cannot say.
Read Daniel Jaems's full review
Sarrah Fanny | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 12, 2019

Great for Marketers

Smartlook is used by the Digital Team to review behavior of users on our website. These insights help us identify ways to test and optimize our landing pages and create a better user experience.
  • Record sessions while protecting user privacy
  • Shows funnels of user behavior through events
  • User friendly platform and easy to use
  • Wish we could record sessions through iFrames
  • Wish the platform suggested events to monitor
Great for Marketing and UX teams that are on a budget but need to be able to measure results and take action very quickly.
I have not yet had to contact support.
Read Sarrah Fanny's full review
November 19, 2019

My Review of Smartlook

We are using Smartlook in our marketing department to make decisions across the whole organization. We are currently utilizing Smartlook on our landing page site to gain insight how users are navigating our website to make sure they are seeing the important content and taking the actions we intended. We are also using Smartlook to see the referring URLs to know which marketing tactics are working.
  • It shows the referring URL that clients used to get to our website.
  • It's useful to see where users are navigating to on our website and use that information to make adjustments or improvements.
  • It's helpful to be able to see if users are coming back multiple times to our website.
  • It would be nice to be able to categorize or sort the recordings into sections, such as "Improvements, Useful Interactions, Positive Experience" etc. - so the information could be easily sorted out & used.
  • I would like to flag recordings so I could review them again, or make notes on them.
  • It seems to take awhile for the recordings to load, especially when you click ahead in the recording.
It is useful when you are trying to learn where you can make improvements on your website or to see how users interact with different elements. It's especially useful when used on a marketing website where you have specific call-to-action you want users to act on. I don't think it would be as useful or appropriate on websites where there isn't any action you want the users to take.
I haven't had to utilize support yet.
November 13, 2019

A valuable resource for digital marketers

It's being used to track and evaluate user behavior on a website. The hope is to collect and analyze the data to see where the gaps, trouble spots and positives are on the website in order to help fulfill marketing and agency goals. It is being used by one person and then presented to a team.
  • Recordings are very thorough.
  • Heat maps are especially useful.
  • The scrolling overview is useful.
  • Funnels were a little difficult to understand.
  • Events were OK.
It is well suited for anyone that is involved or in charge of website activity and performance. Having this option is a useful tool to see what people are clicking on, which can help understand if users are finding what they are searching for. Or, they help reveal what is popular on a website.
I was very happy with the service.
November 12, 2019

Great product to help improve on-page conversions!

I use Smartlook with all of my clients' websites to help inform our digital marketing planning and progress toward goals. A common issue we use Smartlook to address is how to increase on-page conversions. We use the heat map tool and recorded user stories to see how users are interacting with the site to improve conversion navigation.
  • Heat mapping.
  • User story logging (videos of what users are doing on-page).
  • Very small learning curve on set-up and use.
  • Easily integrates with Google Tag Manager.
  • Certain sites seem to block the heat mapping tool—especially around clicks.
  • Data Studio integration for heat maps.
  • It would be great if the heat map could index the entire site instead of entering each page one-by-one.
We use Smartlook primarily with customers who are interested in increasing on-page conversions and/or improving navigations toward certain goals. This is especially useful for our e-commerce customers. When we onboard new customers, it's also a great tool that goes above and beyond the traditional analytics most firms use - it helps set us apart.
We have not used Smartlook's Support yet, but we have used Smartlook's excellent documentation and walkthroughs for set-up and when we have questions. Smartlook walks you through the setup process with easy-to-understand tooltips, walkthroughs, and answers to frequently asked questions. Smartlook's documentation made setup and maintenance of our sites incredibly easy!

The best UX data analizer

Smartlook is the perfect way to improve your conversions funnels, there is no other app that brings you the data like Smartlook. Easy to use, easy to install' and perfect to convert. The price is too low in comparison with the boost of your results.
  • Low Price
  • Optimization UX
  • Focus in warnings
  • A little difficult to install
  • Poor Dashboard
  • Missing mobile version
If you have a webpage, you need to use SmartLook obligatorily. From a webstore, to an information page; in all cases you see the customer's behaviors. The way that your audience are responding to your data and easily how can you improve it.
The support is amazing, i frequently use tickest for support, and they are being responsed in a few hours, faster than others.
November 06, 2019

Smartlook creates invaluable insight for your new business

Smartlook has been implemented with website launch for tracking user behavior and website functionality. It is being used to check where traffic is coming from, what actions users are taking, what conversions are happening. It is also to check if the website is behaving as expected while the user is navigating through the site.
  • It has been consistent with capturing data when a user visits the website. This is useful for cross-checking analytics data from other platforms. It shows the referral links and enough details about the session to be able to confirm the data is valid.
  • It has filters that you can apply to recordings so that you can very quickly see which recordings belong to which marketing campaign or referral source.
  • You can set up funnels to track conversions and then very easily click through to see those specific recordings.
  • For the free or lower-level packages, the data is kept only for a limited time, i.e. 30 days, so there is the situation where you are implementing a marketing funnel that might take longer than 30 days and when you finally make a conversion you might want to see to complete history/path that your user took which lead them to finally make the conversion. In this situation, you will have missing recordings from their initial visits.
  • Recordings are not made in all cases of traffic sessions. I would like to have more clarity/detail on why a specific session was not recorded. It would be great if Smartlook could confirm cases, where it could not record and explain that it was due to i.e. privacy setting/location/ session too short/ website, didn't load. This would help with troubleshooting possible issues on the website.
  • They could have an option that while you are busy watching one recording, there is a quick button to go to the next recording so that you can more easily skip trough a few recordings.
Smartlook is a must-have for any new website. New business owners and entrepreneurs will enjoy the great benefits of this tool. It creates invaluable insight into how users are interacting with your website, how well your marketing campaigns are performing, and cross-checking data with other analytics platforms. You will need it most in the beginning stages of your business or website when you are testing out marketing strategies, troubleshooting, and refining website design. You will still benefit from this even later on for optimizing sales performance.
I do not recall having to make use of the support so far.

About Smartlook

Smartlook is a qualitative analytics solution for websites and mobile apps helping over 250,000 businesses of all sizes and industries answer the "whys" behind their users' actions. Eliminate the guesswork and discover real, actionable reasons.

Smartlook provides a way to understand user behavior at the micro level. Always-on visitor recordings show what every last visitor does on your website or app, while automatic event tracking shows how (and how often) visitors do specific things. Build conversion funnels to see conversion rates as well as uncover why users churn. Heatmaps for websites provide data about where most people click, scroll, hover, and otherwise interact with pages.

Smartlook started in 2016 with web analytics and branched into mobile app analytics in 2018. Smartlook services customers like O2, Miele, Hyundai, and Kiwi.com. It can also record games developed in the Unity engine.

Smartlook Features

Has featureAlways-on visitor recordings
Has featureAutomatic event tracking
Has featureConversion funnels
Has featureHeatmaps
Has featureVisitor journey
Has featureJS errors in console
Has featureAPI and user identification
Has featureSegments and filters
Has featureHistorical data in heatmaps
Has featureRecording of mobile visitors
Has featureOverview Dashboard