SolarWinds MSP Manager Reviews

Tamara Ham | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 23, 2020

Good program to use with different levels of user experience

We use MSP to support the business through documenting and tracking multiple clients/jobs, hours spent on each project with details of the work done, and multiple employees and their work. The company is quick to respond if there is an issue using either email or live chat. They are friendly and professional.
  • Communicates well with clients.
  • Quick to respond when there is an issue.
  • Labeling/titling work "labels" without all the extra steps.
It's a good company to grow with because as needs change there are more features available.
Read Tamara Ham's full review
Chris Maddox | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 14, 2020

Don't buy this.

We are a managed services provider. We use MSP Manager as our primary ticketing system across all our clients. We are using it for about 20 different clients. Some small, and 2 companies with over 500 employees. We use it for issue tickets and for project requests, that each client may need.
  • Web Based
  • Automated Ticket creation
  • Needs to auto refresh when tickets come in
  • Reporting in MSP Manager is terrible
If you have a small market client, with just a couple of employees, then this may be ok. You have to create each contact (anyone who will submit a ticket) manually. There is no upload option. You can give a list to SolarWinds and they will upload them, but they can't include title, phone numbers, or set them to use the portal. It's as if they tried to make the worst ticketing software possible.
Read Chris Maddox's full review
Les Klassen Hamm | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 05, 2019

The best solution if you already use SolarWinds' other products.

I provide IT services to small businesses and non-profits, both break/fix and managed services. I use MSP Manager in concert with SolarWinds RMM for ticketing and billing. It helps to automate the tracking and billing of my subscribed clients. I tried to use it as a ticketing system for my unmanaged clients, but it's a bit slow and cumbersome for that, and doing that work in QuickBooks seemed just as useful.
  • Billing automation straight through to Quickbooks' desktop has saved me a lot of time for clients on subscriptions. Adding tickets during the month and having them all show up in the Quickbooks invoices at month-end is a godsend in terms of time spent in billing/invoicing.
  • The ticketing system in the helpdesk definitely gives my business a more professional look, especially for clients looking for that kind of ticketing system.
  • Alerting me to aging tickets and the use of SLA (service level agreements) helps me prioritize client responses. Even with some of my better clients who don't have an SLA with me, I set up some fake SLAs to ensure I am responding in a timely manner.
  • It is just simply too slow! The web interface requires patience, even when moving between tabs or menu choices. This is by far the biggest detracting element of MSP Manager.
  • Input customization -- I would like the settings pages to allow me to customize some input screens, especially the Ticket Entry window. The "Quick Ticket" entry is missing a few key items I want in a trouble ticket, and the full ticket entry window has numerous fields I never use or are always the same, and so it just takes more time and effort than is necessary.
  • Both the asset tracking and the knowledge base should be more robust and integrally tied into the RMM console, so that licenses, serial numbers, procedures, network data are quick and simple to access from either interface.
If you are just looking for a ticketing and helpdesk system, I'd suggest looking elsewhere, as SolarWinds MSP is somewhat cumbersome and slow.
If you are looking to build managed services and a subscriber base, the tie in with their RMM product and the great integration with Quickbooks is really nice.
Read Les Klassen Hamm's full review
September 25, 2018

MSP Manager Review

We used MSP Manager across the whole organization to help manage all of our current helpdesk tasks. It kept track of time, billing, and our ticketing system.
  • Help Desk Ticketing is very easy to use and organize.
  • Billing is robust and keeps track of client contracts and time very well.
  • Role management and ticket routing client are very robust.
  • The options for billing take a lot of learning and tweaking to get just right for your company. It could be easier and have more options to choose from.
  • Custom templates for automatic helpdesk responses would be very helpful.
  • Per user-banked responses for each user to have quick replies to general tickets.
It is very well suited for MSPs with multiple employees and 10 or more clients. It is not very well suited for a small MSP with 1 employee and only a few clients.

SolarWinds MSP Manager Scorecard Summary

Organize and prioritize service tickets (4)
6.2
Expert directory (4)
3.8
Service restoration (2)
3.8
Self-service tools (4)
3.9
Subscription-based notifications (3)
ITSM collaboration and documentation (3)
ITSM reports and dashboards (3)
Configuration mangement (3)
5.4
Asset management dashboard (3)
5.6
Change calendar (1)
Service-level management (4)
5.6

About SolarWinds MSP Manager

MSPs are in the business to make money (and to provide outstanding IT service). Yet, too often, help desk software eats into profits by tying engineers up in overhead.

The vendor states SolarWinds® MSP Manager™ breaks this pattern by giving the user the ability to capture needed critical elements without gettingbogged down in minutia. MSP Manager is designed to provide value to preserve client loyalty with features like:

• Intuitive, lightweight ticketing
  • Batch billing exports
  • Customer and knowledge management
  • Mobile applications
  • Reporting dashboards
  • Scheduling that exports to external calendar programs
  • Branded customer portal