Reviews (1-2 of 2)
February 28, 2019
Score 10 out of 10
Network Bandwidth Analyzer is our "go-to" tool for basic performance and availability monitoring of our network. It provides us with the ability to quickly and easily see the current status of our network and systems environment, while also making it easy to personalize the presentation of the information so it is accessible and actionable for our different teams. Some of the newer features in NPM and NTA have made Network Bandwidth Analyzer even better in root cause analysis procedures.
- The level of customization possible with Network Bandwidth Analyzer is very valuable. Rather than being stuck with a "one-size-fits-all" presentation, an administrator can easily create customized views, reports, and alerts so that users can have a more tailored view of the data provided by Network Bandwidth Analyzer. This has the effect of making the tool more attractive to the end user.
- The NetFlow Traffic Analyzer piece of Network Bandwidth Analyzer provides the details on bandwidth usage on the network. More than knowing how much bandwidth is being used, one is provided with detailed information on how that bandwidth is being used. This provides invaluable information for capacity planning and even certain forensic tasks faced by the network engineer.
- The ability to produce network maps provides an easy way to create an attractive and functional NOC/SOC view of the entire network. Both technician and the occasional passerby can quickly determine if there are issues to be addressed. The ability to customize a map with background images and custom icons and stencils can make these maps really pop.
- Network Bandwidth Analyzer needs to provide even more capabilities to restrict individual users in terms of their ability to edit or create web views. Currently, it is an all-or-nothing proposition, which means that any user can change any view rather than being restricted to changing only designated views.
- Continued improvements in the ability to manage the custom fields used in Network Bandwidth Analyzer is needed. Custom properties are a critical feature in terms of customization of any SolarWinds Orion application, but there is still too much manual intervention and updating required in their management.
- SolarWinds needs to work on the addition of in-context help in processing the information presented by Network Bandwidth Analyzer. Not all end users are seasoned engineers or systems administrators, so any tools that might tell the user what a "next step" might be when presented with particular types of data or events would be invaluable. SolarWinds has experimented with similar functionality in the past.
Read Brett Organ's full review
Network Bandwidth Analyzer is best as a basic "up/down" tool. It is very good at telling a user the basics that are most often of interest. Information such as availability, CPU and memory usage, bandwidth utilization, response time and hardware health data are available out-of-the-box for a very large vendor list. Also, the dashboards are already configured to show this information.
January 17, 2019
Score 8 out of 10
We have regularly had issues over the past years, as our estate has grown, with network performance issues from unknown devices. Lack of overall monitoring, including being able to analyze these packets, has been missing. We have been unable to spot patterns in traffic and applications across our estate, and users have suffered as a result. We now use SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer across our entire estate and it has been a fantastic addition to compliment our Orion suite.
- We frequently had users hogging bandwidth, we had no way of seeing who was doing it. After only 24 hours of Network Bandwidth Analyzer being deployed into our environment, we had found 13 devices controlled by users that were causing problems.
- We have used NetPath to anaylse our traffic and the results have allowed us to make a multitude of changes across the network to provide a more sound network base.
- Reporting and Alerting has been key and we have been able to setup trigger conditions linked into Network Bandwidth Analyzer to tell us when we're having an issue.
- Unless you're familiar with SolarWinds products, there is a considerable learning curve with the deployment of the tool. An understanding of networks is key.
- Large amount of storage required.
- Needs its own server.
Read Rob Bates's full review
The package is certainly suited for large environments who have a lot of traffic traversing during working hours and if you need to get a handle on this and identify bottlenecks and bandwidth hoggers.
SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer
SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer is the combined suite of SolarWinds’s Network Performance Monitor and NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. It is licensed based on the number of nodes, interfaces, or volumes users need capacity for.
Categories: Network Performance Monitoring
SolarWinds Network Bandwidth Analyzer Technical Details