This feature can be used by non technical users as it's very simple (green = OK, yellow = warning, red = problem) and graphical view it's very user friendly.
It's missing option to edit node names and sometimes it's …
- A few permanent checks between hub sites to keep an eye on WAN health
- Temporary monitors as needed for troubleshooting
Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
- Network monitoring (231)8.989%
- Alerts (228)8.888%
- Hardware health monitoring (215)8.787%
- Customizable reports (212)8.484%
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of SolarWinds NPM, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- Setup fee optional
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
- Tech Details
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) delivers comprehensive network fault monitoring and performance management that scales and expands with a company's network monitoring needs. Users can collect and view availability, real-time and historical statistics from routers, switches, firewalls, servers, and any other SNMP-, ICMP-, or WMI-enabled devices directly from a web browser.
The vendor states that SolarWinds users can get a full NPM installation up and running the same day they download, and that implementation does not require a team of consultants. NPM provides visibility into the health of network devices and servers on the network, ensuring that users have needed real-time information to keep their network running at peak performance.
Network Performance Monitor helps IT Pros:
- Detect, diagnose, and resolve network performance issues and avoid downtime
- Respond to multiple condition checks, correlated events, and device dependencies
- Automatically calculate capacity exhaustion dates using customizable thresholds based on peak and average usage
- Streamline network troubleshooting with a Web interface
- View paths to critical business services hop-by-hop, even into the cloud, with the NetPath™ feature
- Get deeper visibility into complex network devices with Network Insight™ features for Cisco ASA firewalls, Cisco Nexus switches, and F5 BIG-IP load balancers
- Supported: Automated network device discovery
- Supported: Network monitoring
- Supported: Baseline threshold calculation
- Supported: Alerts
- Supported: Network capacity planning
- Supported: Packet capture analysis
- Supported: Network mapping
- Supported: Customizable reports
- Supported: Wireless infrastructure monitoring
- Supported: Hardware health monitoring
- Supported: Seamless conversion upgrade to AIOps-powered Hybrid Cloud Observability
- Supported: Multi-vendor device support for any router, switch, firewall, VPN concentrator, wireless access point and other devices that support standard protocols
- Supported: Intelligent alerts for correlated events, sustained conditions, and complex combinations of device states
- Supported: Insight on hardware health by monitoring, alerting, and reporting on the state of key device sensors
- Supported: NetPath for hop-by-hop monitoring of critical business services, on-premises or into the cloud
- Supported: Network Insight for Cisco Nexus switches, F5 BIG-IP load balancers, Cisco ASA firewalls
- SolarWinds Hybrid Cloud Observability
- SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor
- SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA)
- SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager (NCM)
- SolarWinds Virtualization Manager (VMAN)
- SolarWinds Storage Resource Monitor (SRM)
- SolarWinds Web Help Desk (WHD)
- SolarWinds Web Performance Monitor (WPM)
|Deployment Types||On-premise, Software as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based|
|Operating Systems||Windows, Windows® Server 2016; SQL Server 2016 SQL Server 2016 SP1 SQL Server 2017 (including installations on Linux)|
- Learning where everything is located can be a bit of a learning curve
- I am having difficulty getting the SMS functionality working with Exchange 2016 without using a paid product like NotePage.
- Figuring out which additional things to monitor on the servers to get a more complete assessment.
- SMS notifications are difficult to setup without using another vendor to accomplish it.
- Everything, system is inconsistent and often slow.
- I cannot overstate the ease of use of this platform. If I had to pick something I'd say setting up custom monitoring by MIB browsing is cumbersome. However, doing that with any monitoring platform would be cumbersome. I really can't list any faults that I've noticed. It's a well polished product.
- Creating custom alerts takes a LOT of dialog screens and being consistent is difficult
- Figuring out WHICH alert went off is hard. We've had to code that in the alert message
- Sometimes the system gets slow and the server needs restarted
- I have spent a lot of time learning how the reporting engine works. An important distinction that is that out of the box monitoring and reporting works immediately. If you are looking for custom alerting and reporting, it will take some work to understand.
- None that I find
- Changing contact and alert settings
- Some of the connections between the optional modules are less than efficient. e.g. It doesn't assume that network devices should be integrated with Network Configuration Manager, you have to manually select that option.
- The alerting module leaves a lot to be desired. While there are default alerting rules, they aren't necessarily all useful. If the options for email aren't set up properly before you start tweaking alerts, it can become a major mess when you want to change something like the email server address.
- Among all the pretty charts and graphs, there really isn't any indication of *why* something is a problem, or what you should do about it. Great, it's red. Tell me why it's red and what might happen if I don't fix it!
- we dont use for hardware cpu fan its slow
- slow to alert sometimes
- Adding custom polling MIB's
- Changing custom default pages for devices
- Network Atlas
- Creating a custom view that has interface graphs from multiple nodes and/or different modules.
- Alert generation
- Availability reporting