SolarWinds Service Desk

SolarWinds Service Desk Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Ratings and Reviews

Solarwinds Service desk is being used as our HelpDesk and Knowledge base portal. When staff need IT assistance they create a ticket or browse through the knowledge base articles to find a possible solution. We have made it mandatory for all staff to utilize these services if they need support as we no longer accept phone calls, text messages, or emails requesting support. Having the entire agency use Solarwinds Service Desk allows us to centrally manage and see what tickets are needing to be addressed, whereas the old way of emailing an issue to a tech does not allow the rest of the team to know that there is a problem or what has been done to correct the issue.
  • Love that it is cloud-based, so even when I am not in the office I am still able to log in and assist and or see what is happening.
  • It allows the techs and staff to communicate within the portal and provides the techs the options to do "private" messages that the other techs can see but not the end-user.
  • Makes configuring the layout simple and allows us to "brand" it the way we want and not just another cookie-cutter version.
  • I would love to see the ability to change and move sections around on the forms to help prevent wasted space and lengthy scrolls.
  • I would also like to see an addition to the inventory section to include depreciation values and have itself calculate based on purchase criteria.
  • For the checkbox option, it would be nice to be able to control how many checkboxes are per section and have other things triggered if the checkbox is checked.
This package offers more features than I am currently using. With Solarwinds Service Desk, you have the capability of managing your inventory, invoices, vendors, contracts, and asset management. This is ideal for anyone looking to consolidate multiple packages into one. This is great for IT departments ranging from small to large businesses. There is also a spot in which you can create invoices and have them billed out based on the amount of time spent by the techs to resolve the issue.

If you are needing to do depreciation on your inventory, then the inventory portion will not work for you.
Solarwinds offers a chat feature on the website and usually someone is there answering my concern within 5-15 mins at the longest. I have done the email support as well and I always receive a response, same business day. Support staff have always been very knowledgeable and have resolved my issue/concern first contact and normally the issue is resolved the same day...I think there was an only one time that an issue/question I had took longer than a day to get a response and that was because it had to be escalated to the next level as it was not an issue that could be resolved on the front end.
Our organization is replacing an aging and incorrectly implemented ticketing system with Solarwinds Service Desk in a phased fashion. We currently have the Service Desk, administrators, and Security Team using the product with plans to roll it out for more groups very soon. We have been using the Incident, Problem, Solutions, Assets, Service Catalog, Contracts, Purchase Orders, and Vendors sections. This service has helped roll out service level agreements, Asset Tracking, and much more that we were unable to utilize or provide before implementing this product in our organization.
  • Incident Management
  • Problem Management
  • SLA Management/Notifications
  • Custom Report Building
  • Slack Integration
This service is well-suited for organizations that are unable or unwilling to support the entire infrastructure for a ticketing system, such as databases and servers. It's also great for companies that need a large set of offerings and integrations with other hosted and on-premises systems. Remote support is easy with other purchases/integrations and can assist the support staff in their daily jobs. The licensing levels are easy to understand, though a bit of the pricing difference seems slightly steep to my company for a few of the features.
Support is easy to access via chat or E-mail, but can sometimes be sluggish in response. There is a disconnect between the customer and any engineers that may be working on the issue, as the first contact agent must act as a middle-man between the engineers and customers. This can provide a hindrance when issues such as Asset Scanning software is not functioning as intended, even when it's installed correctly, for example.
Ali Kazempour | TrustRadius Reviewer
IT support is very important and most parts of our organization [go] through SolarWinds Service Desk. Customer Support department, HR Department, sales questions, questions about new products are followed through this platform. We use knowledge base and FAQ but need realtime support to follow tickets. Email support is always good, but for user security and accurate tracking of requests, you need to have a comprehensive automation system to be able to manage all sections.
  • Great Automate IT asset management.
  • Secure Cloud Based Platform.
  • Automate risk detection.
  • Rich help desk knowledge base help desk.
  • Service Desk Live Chat.
  • When another technician or IT service desk agent is viewing the same ticket, that ticket must be locked or inform other agents.
  • They can work more on UI for better experience.
  • Search function must be developed.
In addition to Knowledge Base, customers can chat live and get in touch with IT support, and all this support is much more cloud base[d] and completely secure. In many cases user information should not be sent via email and requires a secure server, [for] which SolarWinds Service Desk is great platform. Dashboard is real time and platform has auto refresh and great notification system. Nice employee service portal and great Service Automation System.
SolarWinds support department will respond to you quickly from the time of purchase to after-purchase instructions & supporting, and the company is great in customers support. In buying a software, our organization always has a priority for the seller and support and accountability is very important to us, and the manufacturer or seller must be responsible and supportive.
Maria Coelho | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am contented by its quality services that have helped me to continue with consistency. Since SolarWinds Service Desk (SSD)'s implementation in my department, I am at ease taking in an account of the everyday problems and I am in a better position to tackle those issues within a short span of time and much more effectively as well. This tool has helped me to carry on our work without any interruptions that could waste our time and affect employees' workloads.
  • I am in a position of controlling numerous desktops through one system and I provide knowledge-based services to my employees.
  • Through this tool, I can easily log into my employees' desktops and elaborate step by step how to resolve any particular issue. Thus I have taught them to be self-sufficient.
  • It has empowered me to handle the configuration more precisely.
  • The only con that I found is that it is quite costly, due to which small organizations cannot afford it.
  • It failed to support hardware inventory.
  • It does not help in handling the aggregate links appropriately.
This tool will definitely benefit various types of organizations, whether you are dealing in some online business or if you want to bring a smooth operating system in your production organization. It will help you to be clearer about the workings and you can manage the incident, problem, change, and request management. This tool will help you work smoothly. For online business setups, this tool will be a huge plus. In short, it will help you to control everything from one platform by enhancing productivity side by side.
A few times I got some help from its customer support. They are really professional and skilled. I appreciate their quick and reliable services.
Sebastian Pereira | TrustRadius Reviewer
Samanage is used for IT mainly, and we are studying using it for other areas too, since it has built-in workflow features. We provide the organization with SLAs for incident management; it helps us measure the satisfaction our internal customers have and we also use it to manage all assets across the organization.

Some of the problems Samanage is helping with are: provide a service level to the internal clients, manage the computer inventory and the assignment of such devices, measure the satisfaction the people have about the IT area. We are also implementing a service catalog to map different process within the IT area.
  • Service Level Agreements. They are flexible and sturdy enough to manage the service level that we need. It's true there are other applications out there that have a stronger SLA configuration model, but this has everything we need.
  • Customer Satisfaction. With a simple question we can know how well we are doing as a whole. I know they have planned to move forward with features related to NPS score which is something that will add more value from this point of view.
  • The Asset Management. I think this is one of the best features the system has. Through its agent you are able to see and monitor software, hardware and peripherals connected to the computer. It also creates risks from warranty and software from which you can create incidents.
  • The contract management. This is a very simple way to track the contracts you have with different providers, helps you centralize the data related to this and keep it in front of view from the system dashboard if you want to.
  • API integration. For us, this was one of the pilars for selecting an ITSM tool. The API that Samanage provides is pretty straightforward, it has a lot of room to improve but that's not something I'm too worried about, because of the next item.
  • Customer Service. They have one of the best customer support and service I've experienced. They have prompt answers from the simplest request to the more complex issues.
  • As I said before, I think that the API still has room for improvement. An example of this is when you need to create an incident and you need to specify a subcategory, which (AFAIK) is not part of the Incident table but part of a related table. Looking for the record showed to be cumbersome. Luckily, I could change the way I worked with the Incidents (instead of using a sub-category for the incident serverities I started to use the priority) and everything became simpler.
  • The licensing model. You have one license: ITSM and if you need to involve people from other areas you have to pay as they are IT. I must say too, that they took this matter very seriously and provided us with several alternatives that helps me keep implementing and working with the system, and I know that they have the topic on the upper management table. I'm not worried simply because they have shown me to be able to resolve any issues with a win-win approach and this won't be different.
I would say that from the licensing cost, a startup may find it challenging to acquire Samanage. But from some references I made, they work things out to try to adapt the pricing to any pocket. Of course every company has its limits, but I find that flexibility very good.

For me, the key questions were related to how they managed the SLAs, if they have an API to use for integration (and if it has a limit of requests).
Christopher Fritz | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it as an IT Ticket system across all departments, where the IT department is the administrator and facilitator. We have managed to get an overview of IT Issues with more, as we also have integrated the self-service system very well and actively will be working on our knowledge database. It gives our upper management an overview of what we're doing in IT and what kind of workload we have. The creation of self-service forms gives an option to streamline processes and make onboardings easier with a checklist.
  • Flexible creation of self-service forms.
  • Simple user management.
  • Nice user community.
  • The dependent drop down in the self-service forms could be made more flexible. It's only possible to do one dependent drop down.
  • The multi-department choice isn't available when creating self-service forms. That would be a nice addition.
  • No proper inventory list on user basis functionality.
Samanage is functioning well in a smaller IT Department where there is no time to do too much customization. It is pretty much a ready to use software to which you can keep on adding on functions you need etc. The reason why I write that it semi-flexible is that you have the option to customize a lot of things, but if you want to make very detailed updates then this won't be the software for you. We are very happy with the software and find that they are listening to the user community, so that you are heard and actually can follow the progress of suggestions that you make.
Chris Peters Sr. | TrustRadius Reviewer
Solarwinds Service Desk was my choice for a help desk resolution after a lot of time researching the best fit for our organization. It has proved very useful and helpful. I had gone from having no help desk solution. Solarwinds Service Desk has been a great solution and provided excellent tools for me and my IT team.
  • Easy, multiple means of creating tickets
  • Support is responsive when needed
  • Collects information from the monitoring tool
  • Fast to resolve any technical issues with the site
  • Reports - not very "easy" find it hard to report on items I have created
  • Reports - easier use could use more intuitive UI
  • Reports - fill it is missing what should be standard reports for users, etc.
Solarwinds Service Desk has been an excellent easy-to-use help desk solution for our organization. I feel that it could be much more robust with the reporting end of it.
Support has been great when I have had to use it; I have not had to use it much. I have had to use support on a fairly limited bases. They are also really good at making notifications of system wide issues. Support is good but would like a bit faster response from Chat Support.
Scott Sokol | TrustRadius Reviewer
At MLB Network, Samanage is used essentially as a job ticketing tool for our media management team, which handles media organization, archive, retrieval requests in addition to multimedia preparation, delivery, and acquisition of content. It has addressed our need to reduce email congestion, increase department organization and efficiency, and gain greater visibility into the work being requested, and eventually completed by our team members.
  • Easily assign jobs
  • Track work requested by employee/department
  • Track work completed by our team members
  • Needs better integration with email tools like Microsoft Outlook for requesters who still use as a means for creating a ticket
  • Needs better notification preferences
  • Needs a dynamic refresh of tickets page
While designed for IT service desk teams, we have found that our media services team has been successful implementing Samanage tools.

I think it's best suited for organizing and tracking a high volume of requests, and may not work quite as well for those looking to track projects over a longer period of time.
Steven Hiersche, Jr. | TrustRadius Reviewer
We were using a developer's tool to run a pseudo help desk and it reached its end of life. We needed to move on and are now loving Samanage.
  • The Workflow engine is great and they are in the process of making it even better.
  • The Asset management portion functions smoothly and the utility was easy to push out via GPO.
  • The setup of the product is what sells it. Very easy to set up every function, very intuitive and not a taxing process as some can be. Lastly, you can integrate with an SSO company called OneLogin. A very simple, free process with them and you are integrated with ADUC!
  • We haven't worked much yet with the built in API code or Zapier. So not sure if we will run into any headaches connecting it to our current "helpdesk".
Make sure you go through a thorough demo. They are very knowledgeable on their own product and answered every question that we had.
Couldn't give higher as only had to use them in the initial setup with extra questions but they were great.
December 16, 2020

Great ITSM and ITAM Tool!

We currently use Solarwinds Service Desk as our main ITSM and ITAM tool. Its used throughout the company and specific groups have more accessibility for views on specific incidents or trends for better visibility. It allows us to manage tickets for incidents and also service requests. We can also manage our assets as well.
  • Ease of use.
  • Filtering of incidents.
  • Modern UI.
  • ITIL standardization for tickets. (Incident vs Request)
  • Granular settings.
  • More customization on Automations.
For smaller companies or environments, it greatly excels. It has basic to intermediate functionality that addresses basic functions for managing tickets and assets. It could use some more granular settings in different portions for a larger enterprise environment. It meets the demands but could use more bells and whistles. The recent improvements are better.
They do respond back and assist very quickly with common questions. If there is an outage or a big issue that occurs with SWSD, they can sometimes take longer to respond or reply with a resolution regarding the issue. Most of the time they'll reply back with a notice stating that they have notified their engineering team.
December 15, 2020

Solarwinds works for us!

It is used across the whole organization. It addresses Incident mgmt, change mgmt, purchase orders, and device management mainly for our organization. Allows for everything to be on 1 platform.
  • Notifications and integrations: communicates notices well.
  • Automations: several ways of setting up automations.
  • New ticket notification: refreshes up-to-date tickets which is a newer feature.
  • I'd like to see more notification options in change management.
  • Solarwinds could improve on reporting features and ease of use.
Solarwinds ticketing system has nice features for being able to filter and save filters to easily be able to see which tickets you are looking for. The support team and account reps are very good at responding in a timely manner to issues or questions. It really depends on what expectations a company has as to whether or not Solarwinds would be a good fit for them.
I'm generally satisfied with Solarwinds and I think it would be a good fit for the right company.
We initially purchased Solarwinds Service Desk solely for our Information Technology department. The popularity quickly grew and it is now used in various departments across our University to create a universal/seamless service desk. These other areas include facilities, housing, business office, HR, legal, etc. Incidents can easily be routed between departments and we find that very helpful!
  • Transparency--giving our customers the power to communicate and receive updates is essential and this tool does an excellent job of that.
  • Self Service--a full-functioning service catalog and knowledge base is the key to any successful service desk!
  • Intuitive yet simplistic design--this tool is very easy to navigate while also being packed full of features.
  • Chat support--this is actually just beginning to roll out, but development is still needed. This has the potential to be a major means of communication once fully functional.
  • Certification--these are huge in our industry. It would be nice for SolarWinds to create a web-based training that took new technicians through the platform and focused on using the tool and best practices. A nice little certification at the end means a lot to entry-level technicians.
Solarwinds Service Desk is well suited for any organization that is looking to offer a modern, highly functional, and easy to navigate service desk. We have implemented it across almost our entire University and it has become instilled in our business processes. It does a great job and our customers are very happy using and navigating the platform!
Customer support is very responsive. Chat support is available to system administrators and they usually respond back fairly quickly. This team also does a great job of rolling out continual improvements, system modifications, and quality of life improvements. Every time I see the new announcements I am excited to see what has been improved or expanded upon!
December 11, 2020

Samanage, easy to manage.

Samanage is being used across the organization as a ticketing and tracking system to communicate with IT. The business problems it solves are its ability to centralize team issues by creating an easily accessible and accountable repository. It allows managers to oversee SLAs, and it functions as a delegation service so if an individual user doesn't know who to turn to, Samanage directs them to an appropriate team and makes sure it is within "arm's length" of the nearest helpful resource (even when that resource may be 3000 miles away).
  • Tracking issues.
  • Centralization of effort.
  • Delegation off to proper individuals/teams.
  • Accountability on the user side and support side.
  • Eliminating the uncertainty of who to ask to get an answer to your question.
  • Faster SLAs.
  • Implementation was a bit frustrating.
  • Automatic delegation rather than manual from a manager standpoint would be helpful.
  • Modernization of the application.
Samanage is well suited for teams that are spread out across geographic locations. Its ticketing and tracking system to communicate is also helpful if the business is seeing a high rate of growth and people just aren't aware of who to ask for a specific thing. Since the tool centralizes inquiries, it allows for those support teams to delegate tasks to the proper individuals. Samanage is useful for hitting SLAs.
Solarwinds Service Desk is used by multiple technical support teams within the University. The primary reasons for selecting Solarwinds Service Desk were its ability to assist in asset management as well as being HIPAA compliant.
  • Asset management
  • Ticket management
  • Lack of public-facing site for general solutions or tips
  • Doesn't auto-assign trouble ticket to individual well
Solarwinds Service Desk is well suited for organizations with multiple divisions that provide support, require the ability to manage assets, and are HIPAA compliant.
At times, they reference online support pages that don't provide enough details (i.e., single sign-on with Microsoft ADFS).
SolarWinds service desktop is currently used in the IT, HR and Maintenance Departments. IT uses the software for help tickets, inventory control, purchasing, change control, equipment warranty tracking, licensing control, user knowledge base, on-Boarding and off-boarding employees, reporting and program maintenance. Basically, IT uses most, if not all, of its functions. HR and Maintenance use Solarwinds for mainly help tickets. We were able to combine all of our needs into 1 program, saving us tremendous time and money.
  • Customer Support is one of the best I have seen, friendly educated and always willing to help you fix your issue.
  • Customization. This is another very important quality Solar Winds has. From customizing reports, change control templates, user interface, inventory and many more areas.
  • Reliability: SolarWinds has strong performance and we rarely have outages.
  • Price: All-in-one package.
  • Be able to produce barcodes with custom info regarding inventory.
You might not want SolarWinds Service Desk if you are only interested in providing HelpDesk tickets. This software has endless capabilities.
You have several ways to contact support. Ticket, chat, email, or phone. All options are easy to find when you need them. Once connected, they go above and beyond to help get your issue resolved with linked videos, and they even will help you remotely. They also have an amazing customer knowledge base, which includes video instructions.
  • in-person training
Good entry-level ticketing system. SaaS-based. Good for basic stuff like ticket creation, tracking, etc. Some 3rd-party integrations. Currently, we use it for several different teams and locations.
  • Good for multiple teams.
  • Integrates with our SSO (Okta), and that is something we always look for in a SaaS provider.
  • Tracking Incidents, Changes, and Problems
  • Seems like it's good for smaller companies. We haven't really stress-tested it with several thousands of tickets and requests. I'd like to see it in a large enterprise. Where it's SaaS-based, it might support that scale.
  • Not as intuitive as I'd like, but a little bit of training can get most people up to speed. Forms would help this with less-frequent users.
Simple tickets, incident reporting, change requests. Integrates with Slack for notification to the assigned teams and queues, which is really nice for us.
We use SolarWinds Service Desk to keep up with help tickets from our users. Now, especially with working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, it has been increasingly helpful to keep track of who has needed help and who still requires assistance.
  • Custom Categories
  • Time worked on each issue
  • Comments and information fields so we can keep track of work done
  • Would like previously used tags to appear as options when tagging new tickets
  • Would like to be able to add multiple assignees to a ticket
If you're in need of a tracking tool for your help desk tickets but don't have one already, SolarWinds Service Desk is great because it integrates your inventory management along with any help desk tickets related to the computers and mobile devices in your inventory.
I would like to be able to aggregate a list of previously used tags so we can more easily standardize tags that have been used across all IT users creating tickets. Other than that, it helps us keep tabs on what has been done and what still needs to be resolved.
  • Online training
SolarWinds Service Desk in our organization is being used for issues dealing with technology and service request/tracking pertaining some work orders in our industry. SSD is used throughout our whole organization. Biggest issue SSD addresses is approval emails going to the right person. There is no need to open up SSD to approve a request. Most user[s] are able to reply the the "approval email" and go on about their work. Also, Service Request Forms are easier to track by building a process that best meets your organization's needs. You are able to build a checklist type of process for [a] hardware request, or even when hiring new employees.
  • Built-in email replies.
  • End-user feedback.
  • Chat feature.
  • Programing the "Service Request" process commands: if, and's, or.
  • Being able to edit the "Forms" layout including Home Screen of SSD.
  • Last view issues or editing the view you're in when you're an admin.
SolarWinds Service Desk is best suited for help desk and human resources. We only use it for our help desk, but have plenty of ideas for HR that we have not explored yet. Using SSD as our ticketing system is helping more users send in more request[s] because it easy to use.

If someone can make a request for something then SSD can be used. You'll be able to track the interaction from start to finish.
Only had to use support to help launch the service. Do wish they would have some templates in place that support would have provided. It did feel like we did most of the work even though we paid for a support package.
Our IT Department uses it to manage IT assets deployed within our organization, as well as the SaaS applications we use in our daily operations. The network scanning utility saves us a lot of time by automatically pulling in data about the configuration and status of our assets. It's not the most customizable solution I've seen, but the defaults are adequate.
  • Mobile app works well
  • Effective help desk ticket management
  • Clean UI and logical layout of menus
  • Customization - Custom asset fields are difficult and not very effective.
  • Billing - It's a hassle to update billing info; billing dept. reps aren't as helpful as I'd like.
  • Integrations - There are very, very few. In today's environment, this is unacceptable.
Solarwinds Service Desk makes keeping tabs on a multitude of assets and users relatively painless. Out-of-the-box, it's quite functional and deployment can be completed in very little time. The platform is intuitive making user adoption easy. It's a bit of an island due to lack of integrations, so there's the trade-off. If you need a service desk that's highly customized and/or tightly integrated with other systems, you might look elsewhere -- but be prepared to pay more and invest more time getting that solution deployed.
Quick response time
We are definitely not using SolarWinds to it's fullest capacity, and that is great. It offers the flexibility for us to pick and choose which features we want to implement (even within the Service Desk portion of the product) which has allowed us to scale easily. I have 4/10 departments utilizing the software successfully to act as a help desk for 450 employees.
  • Ability to streamline UI for various roles.
  • Extensive administrative settings and options.
  • AI to offer suggestions to techs and requesters.
  • Extremely transparent about any outages, causes, and steps to prevent again.
  • The system is very reliable: has only been inaccessible twice in the past 18 months of daily use.
  • Company will not accept reporting or other customization requests (consider it a new feature)
  • Reporting options are not intuitive & most cannot include details.
  • Little support from SolarWinds.
Although we do not use many aspects of the system, Service Desk processes 2,000 incidents (tickets) per month. Our support team can easily track, assign, and reply to tickets. Screenshots/attachments are easy to add. We gained a higher adoption by allowing end-users to email in requests instead of just using the portal, which is a great feature.
The transition from Samanage to SolarWinds after the purchase was very difficult. I went without a rep or any support for 6+ months. I am pretty self-sufficient in software. I finally got a hold of a VP to get me a rep (when I wanted to purchase more licenses I got a reply). The answer to almost every request has been no, even requests like "can this existing report be exported or scheduled with details." I will say that with service outages, they are extremely responsive through chat and have a ton of transparency.
Piloted with only a specific department and then rolled out after 2 years to the whole organization. It addresses the problem of site agents and centralized agents who both can resolve issues users experience on technology platforms. It also addresses the need to aggregate solutions.
  • Issue management
  • Tagging of other people
  • Email notifications
  • Reports
  • Documenting changes
  • Documenting issues
  • Prompting Solutions
SolarWinds Service Desk is great for ticketing/issue management at dispersed or local organizations. The SLA breaches help for management of staff and increases timely resolution. It's not as helpful for time tracking or task tracking unless implemented/strictly used.
After transitioning from Samanage to SolarWinds, we had some small hiccups but otherwise they have great support and are very quick/timely with responses.
In our organization, we are currently using Solarwinds Service Desk as our primary ticketing system to escalate and handle IT security incidents with customers. Not only for incidents but also for the service request, problem & change management. It improved our response time and allowed us to address problems when we have to go and track down communication. It has also allowed us to set up a self-service portal and a knowledge base for common problems. The SolarWinds Service Desk has been a great solution and provided excellent tools for our service ticket management.
  • The user interface is really simple, even new user can adapt to the tool quickly.
  • The SLA Monitoring system is really useful to know how we're performing. That helps us to give timely service.
  • The Solarwinds Service Desk supports lots of integrations with other systems and they are constantly adding more.
  • The email integration need to be improved, tools like Microsoft Outlook for requesters who still use it as a means for creating a ticket.
  • Should have some sort of sound notification that could be configured with the program to allow audio alerts.
  • Can't disable the email notifications based on categories. Creates problems when closing tickets from customers.
The Incident Ticket management for multiple clients is where this software seems to be really great. The feedback feature on the Dashboard that allows our clients to share to experience is nice to have. The main concern is that we can't use MFA (restricting users to only being able to log with only a username and a password). This is particularly important for administrator accounts.
Support is really great. The support team is really patient, will listen, and they're all committed to having a great product that serves their customers' needs and making any process as easy as possible. Administrators can start a chat with their support team from any of the pages in the tool.

Kevin Staton | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Solarwinds Service Desk across the organization for:
  • Office experience and building maintenance incidents
  • IT incidents
  • Forms-based approvals
  • Business process improvement
  • Vendor and contract management
As a mid-sized company, many of our processes were previously informal. Solarwinds Service Desk helped us create process workflows for many requests that were previously difficult to track and measure. The reporting tools give a much more holistic view of these requests for decision-makers and give users more transparency into the process.

Additionally, the vendor and contract management modules help us track contract expiration on everything from SaaS licensing to hardware and consulting contracts. We also use vendor and contract management to gather and store security-related documentation such as PCI-DSS, SOC 2, and Privacy Policies. We store these with the vendor so that we have a central repository of all security compliance documentation.
  • Incident Management
  • Process Workflow
  • Vendor and Contract Management
  • A welcoming landing page
  • There is potential to greatly improve the capacity for cascading attributes. Currently, categories are limited to a top-level category and one subcategory. This leaves a fairly shallow decision tree.
  • Greater flexibility to modify the layout of incident request forms.
  • More integration options for cloud file-sharing platforms. Solarwinds Service Desk has tie-ins to Dropbox but not other vendors.
Solarwinds Service Desk strikes a good balance between cost and features. If you're an organization without any tools for incident management, process workflows, or vendor management, then Solarwinds Service Desk will be a huge improvement. Service Desk has more features than other products in the same tier. We compared Solarwinds Service Desk to Zendesk but found that Zendesk was missing key capabilities.

For larger organizations or organizations with more sophisticated project management, dashboard, incident management, asset tracking needs... as well as larger budgets... something like ServiceNow or TeamDynamix would be a better choice.

The key takeaway for Solarwinds Service Desk is that it has many features at a fraction of the cost of the big players in this space. It won't be as customizable as the more expensive models but it will help you mature your ITSM and help with organization wide process improvement.
The onboarding and configuration process was very thorough, and we had a resource dedicated to deployment. Whenever we have had a question or issue, Solarwinds Service Desk support has been quick to respond.
Steve Taylor | TrustRadius Reviewer
We manage IT services for a number of companies and this is our helpdesk incident management software. We utilize the purchasing function for ourselves as well as the contracts management module for several of the companies. Currently, only the IT department is using this software. The inventory module is also used across most companies and provides an excellent foundation for ITIL service management.
  • Helpdesk Incident ticketing - Solarwinds does an excellent job of incident tracking and enables you to fold those incidents into Problems and then use effective change management when called for. It provides a full ITIL management package.
  • Inventory Tracking and Management - It has a really nice, complete package for Hardware and Software management. The agent is pretty light and data is encrypted.
  • Change Management and Approval Workflows - There's a really nice module here. Allows you to attach an Incident ticket or multiple incidents as a Problem. Lets you manage changes to systems, services, etc. and get approvals from the appropriate stakeholders while providing an audit trail for everything.
  • Reporting - Custom reporting leaves a little bit to be desired. They need to find a happy medium between having to make your own variables and query and not having the ability to customize a report. It would also be nice to have the ability to export reports to Excel.
  • Time Tracking on Incident Tickets - Time tracking is pretty much a manual thing. The agents just estimate the time they spend on a ticket and enter it manually into a time tracking field. There is no automated tracking of time and it's not a mandatory field.
  • Project Management - It would be great to have a project management capability built in that we could use to set up tickets, changes, tasks, etc for longer term projects.
We moved to Solarwinds Service Desk from Connectwise. I think it's a far superior product with better support and features. I believe it to be best suited for a company IT department with expansion capabilities through the service desk to other departments in the company, such as HR, that need self service capabilities.
Support is always fast and very helpful. If they don't have a direct solution to an issue, they take the time to listen and understand what it is you're trying to accomplish and find a way to use the system to do it. That is very much appreciated. They also have very good training and self-service support through videos and KB articles.
Solarwinds Service Desk is used within our IT department to catalog and prioritize requests. It allows a standardized process for users to request IT support and allows IT and management to view current and historical requests.
  • Ticket Management
  • Automated notifications
  • Setup
  • Reporting / Data Exports (Currently manual request to generate *.csv)
  • Limited configuration and customization options in base product
  • User management
Any team providing core support for a larger organization would benefit from a tool like Solarwinds Service Desk. We use this in IT, but it could be useful for groups such as HR to manage employee questions and requests, or a centralized marketing department, requisitions team, etc.

The tool seems optimized for use within an organization. I don't see how it would support external customers in a clean fashion.
Support has been very responsive, though the tool is also very straightforward so we have had very little need to contact support. Samanage staff were very proactive in reaching out to help us with the initial setup and configuration of the tool, and reach out frequently (but appropriately) to see if we have any questions or concerns.

SolarWinds Service Desk Scorecard Summary

Incident and problem management (7)
Organize and prioritize service tickets (96)
Expert directory (57)
Service restoration (58)
Self-service tools (86)
Subscription-based notifications (68)
ITSM collaboration and documentation (76)
ITSM reports and dashboards (87)
6.5
ITSM asset management (3)
Configuration mangement (74)
Asset management dashboard (81)
Policy and contract enforcement (63)
Change management (3)
Change requests repository (64)
Change calendar (44)
Service-level management (72)

What is SolarWinds Service Desk?

SolarWinds Service Desk, previously Samanage Service Platform, is a cloud-based service desk for IT or any other department.

A single platform for service management, IT asset management and configuration management, Service Desk is ITIL-ready and complete with Incident, Problem, Change, and Release Management capabilities. Advanced reporting modules empower users to analyze trends, monitor service quality, and continuously improve service management processes.

SolarWinds Service Desk Features

• Supported: Code-Free Customization
  • Supported: SLA Management

SolarWinds Service Desk Screenshots

SolarWinds Service Desk Video

Learn more: https://slrwnds.com/ServiceDesk Watch an introduction to SolarWinds® Service Desk to learn what today’s IT service management (ITSM) strategy demands from a solution. SolarWinds Service Desk provides a cloud-based, multi-tenant platform for integrated IT asset management and service desk. SolarWinds Service Desk provides the functionality necessary to meet today’s service management needs, including: Full ITIL suite (incident, problem, change, release) Powerful service catalog workflows and forms Customizable service portal Automation rules to drive ticket routing and priority Detailed roles and permissions for every user Open REST API and numerous built-in integrations AI and machine learning to suggest data points to users and agents With SolarWinds Service Desk, your team can move beyond ticket backlogs and into a streamlined service strategy. Connect with SolarWinds: THWACK IT Community: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SolarWinds Twitter: https://twitter.com/solarwinds LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/solarwinds Instagram: http://instagram.com/solarwindsinc/

SolarWinds Service Desk Integrations