Sophos Network Access Control was part of the Sophos security suite that my company used before we were forced to go to another solution. Sophos NAC was used by the entire enterprise as enforcement of security policies. I can say that it was very effective in preventing viruses on our network. The only issue that I ever encountered with Sophos NAC was when trying to remove it.
- Provides enforcement of security policies for Windows PCs
- As part of the Sophos Security Suite provides outstanding protection from viruses
- Uses a very nice web-based GUI
- Customer support was basically non-existent during the time we needed it the most. This should be #1 priority for any company.
- Lack of support for Linux servers and Mac OS
- The reporting system relies on information provided by the agents
- Wide scale removal process needs some vast improvements. When using a batch removal script, it wrecks the NIC drivers to the point that they have to be removed and reinstalled.
Sophos Network Access Control would be most effective in an enterprise environment where there are many different groups of users, including guest users because it has the ability to block unauthorized users and control the access of guest users. It would not be well suited for an environment with less than 1000 users because as far as I know, the license requires at least that many users.