SourceForge

SourceForge Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Working in a relatively small, family-owned printing business, each employee wears many hats. One of mine is to determine which software can best meet our needs across multiple platforms.<br><br>I've been able to turn to SourceForge for getting real-world reviews from users who actually have experience using the software. It's been a great tool for helping me make critical decisions that will affect our daily workflows.
  • Wide variety of software database
  • Tells pricing information of software
  • Gives screen shots, videos, etc of software
  • Provides direct links to software's website
  • I'm not fond of having sponsored listings
SourceForge is honestly one of the best searchable databases I've ever used. The content they provide for each software listing is very thorough. They provide all sorts of information ranging from pricing, to company history, to system requirements, and so much more. They even have a section for Frequently Asked Questions.
Jason Payne | TrustRadius Reviewer
SourceForge & SlashDot Media are being used to provide a listing for Rannko for review and reputation leads. The goal is to position Rannko as a leader to their customer base for those looking for our services.
  • Listing looks ok.
  • Provide press release content.
  • I believe we were billed fraudulently
  • Anti Trust
  • No Leads
  • No signups
  • Inaccurate Analytics
  • Failed search algorithm
  • Their claim that they were number 1 in organic search did not match what I saw.

We gave Sourceforge the benefit of the doubt and every opportunity to be a successful lead source for Rannko. Regrettably we did not fare too well. We announced at the beginning of our conversations that we would try Sourceforge for 3 months as this was their minimum commitment. Also in writing {“If this is to be successful over the next 3 months, I would love to go annual next round”. - 12.21.2020 }.

We agreed and we're happy to give it a go. Then at the end of the 3 months we were informed that we could not cancel. This is highly unprofessional, bait % switch and blatant fraud.

We used SourceForge to generate leads for our company. Generally, this was managed by the Marketing team, however, members from different parts of the organization were involved in implementing the program and making sure those leads made their way to our sales team. The implementation was easy, SourceForge just provided a source of the traffic to our landing page and much of the effort was involved in creating effective processes for following up with those leads. Once we had put a small amount of effort in the setup, there was virtually no work after that.

SourceForge addressed my teams never-ending needs for more high quality leads so that we could continue to grow our user base. They also had some cool features that showed us the names of the companies looking at our page so that our sales team could actually go out and contact those companies.
  • Lead generation
  • Simple setup, easy to manage once live
  • Increase brand awareness
  • displace competitors
  • Good customer service
  • minor UI fixes for admins
  • minor additional API functionalities
  • more in depth reporting functionalities
SourceForge is best suited for a software company that is looking to generate leads to find new customers. Our software is niche, which means it can be hard to use traditional marketing channels to find the right buyers. Software review websites like SourceForge provide an effective marketing channel that allows the right people to find our website. This inbound marketing channel brought consistent leads and was easy for our team to manage. The service is very straightforward, once you sign up you get links back to your website and they start sending the leads to you. If this is what you are looking and you're a software company trying to grow, then SourceForge could be a good fit for you.
  • Online training
SourceForge paired us with a campaign manager who helped us with onboarding, setup and any questions that came up along the way. Many platforms these days are self service, which is sometimes nice but having a real person help when problems arise is nice. They were friendly and response. After the setup period, we had very few questions so ultimately I had a good experience with support.
We are a holdings company with many brands in our umbrella, including technology and software companies. We use SourceForge for multiple software products in our portfolio. It's being used to drive customer acquisition at our software company by showcasing our software, generating new customer leads, and sending large amounts of quality click traffic to our software's website. It addresses a number of problems including new user acquisition, marketing, and reputation management. We're able to collect and showcase customer reviews, list all of our product integrations, list marketing materials and assets like screenshots and videos, and acquire new customers who are interested in our software.
  • Very comprehensive software search engine
  • Filter software by integrations, region, organization type, company size, and more
  • Easy user review collection program
  • Great customer support (by email or phone)
  • Competitive pricing
  • Unlimited clicks/leads for a flat rate (compared to PPC)
  • Buyer insight data about who looks at our software
  • Detailed reporting
  • We'd like to be able to embed Vimeo videos
  • Would be nice to be able to list case studies within their platform
SourceForge is an absolute powerhouse for generating new software customers at a very competitive rate compared to other review platforms. SourceForge is best suited for SaaS companies that want an effective new user acquisition program without having to micromanage a PPC campaign. Since SourceForge provides unlimited clicks and leads for a single flat rate, I don't have to worry about myself or the marketing team overspending on pay-per-click or forgetting about the campaign and then being hit with a big PPC bill later.

SourceForge offers a lot of bells and whistles, and their program is very powerful if you take advantage of them. They offer sophisticated analytics, conversion tracking codes to track conversions, and a really unique integration and competitor engine. I would say SourceForge works really well if you listen to and adhere to their best practices. If you set up your profile and campaign correctly, it will generate a lot of qualified customer leads on autopilot. If you just sign up and don't spend any time optimizing your profile according to their best practices, you might not be as successful. SourceForge gets a ton of traffic, so if you sell SaaS, you need to be featured on this site.
  • Online training
Their support is lightning-fast to respond to us any time we have questions or issues. We have a dedicated campaign manager who we can call or email any time we need help, which is not often, but it's nice to be able to lean on when necessary. They're also open to walking us through different features of the product and general training.
SourceForge is a great place to find and download software. They have a huge list of commercial and open-source software. My personal favorite would be their open-source registry. They have comparison charts to help us analyze prices of various software and their use cases. I find their reviews trustworthy and quite detailed as well. The downloading process is fast and efficient, with multiple links and mirrors provided. SourceForge has made it easy for me to find the best software for any purpose, be it for managing workflow, mind-mapping, or team management.
  • Finding and comparing software prices, which is especially useful for businesses.
  • Searching for and downloading open-source software for any purpose.
  • An easy portal to search for rival software and what users are saying about them. It helps better analyze your own products and is quite helpful for making reports.
  • The download links are usually all external, and since there are multiple links, it can be a pain to figure out which mirror would work the best for us.
  • Search functionality has a lot of room for improvement. They lack proper filters, which would have improved the quality of software searches tenfold.
SourceForge is a great tool for software developers and companies, or even common users. It bridges the gap between the developer and their users--allowing users to find the right software or business tools and allowing businesses to find an audience and see what they think about their product. The software comparison charts and reviews give enough insight to let you choose the best product for your use-case. SourceForge is also helpful for collaborating with other developers or downloading open-source software for your own personal use. Facilities to host open-source software and version control for developers are another advantage.

However, SourceForge does lack a good search filter option, and it could also add some more lesser-known software to it's growing list. Other than that, there is really no reason to doubt the site.
Rishikesh Mishra | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use SourceForge to download software that is genuine and is rated by trusted reviewers. SourceForge is a trusted platform. The user interface is also great and very easy to use. Downloading is fast and efficient using SourceForge. Also, all the pros and cons of a particular software are mentioned on the platform.
  • Trusted and verified reviews
  • Great User Interface
  • Downloading is fast and easy
  • Business and open source softwares are available
  • The searching of the software can be improved.
  • No wishlist functionalities.
  • Addition of more software.
SourceForge is very well suited when you need to download software that is genuinely reviewed and has a trusted rating. Downloading software from SourceForge is very easy and also very fast. The platform is very well known and has a trustworthy reputation. The user experience of using the platform is also very good.
Rahul Maurya | TrustRadius Reviewer
SourceForge is a good way to discover business software and open-source software for my project and business. It has really helped me a lot in finding what is suitable for my work. It's an excellent web-based platform that has helped me read user reviews and compare software as well as find the latest software to keep me up to date.
  • Very simple and basic user interface
  • Great tool to compare and read trustworthy review about business software
  • Giant open-source software hub for the user
  • Easy to find the right software for my project
  • Unable to add software to wishlist
  • Overall works excellently
I have been mainly using SourceForge to find the right software for my open-source project and business needs. Before deploying or buying any new software, I need to read the user experience and compare it with other software in the market so that my resources don't go to waste. I work with different platform people, and most of them need help in finding the perfect software, I filter out the software on SourceForge according to their needs.
The support team is quite active and helps give you a complete solution to your problem.
SourceForge is being use widely across the company to find the perfect softwares for many purposes. Being a wide conglomerate, there are needs of different tools for different purposes; SourceForge helps us to decide the right fit for all requirements. It has hundreds of organic reviews from experienced users, and a good support system.
  • Organic reviews
  • Quick customer support
  • Indepth analysis
  • UI could be slightly better
  • More options for modifying user profile
SourceForge is a hub of organic reviews from users of all domains. These reviews help us in making key decisions for the software and tools we purchase for our company use. We depend on SourceForge heavily and rely especially on user reviews and their experiences with the respective tools before making our purchase decision.
We use SourceForge to readily and easily find the right software for all our departments' needs.

We use it mainly in contracting and accounting. It has streamlined our contracting department and provided us price optimization tools that we didn't know existed. It helped us filter out what we needed most. Our contracting software is now much more user friendly and straight forward. SourceForge helped eliminate unnecessary programs that bogged us down.
  • SourceForge makes it really easy to find the right software.
  • SourceForge can help streamline and optimize your business.
  • SourceForge is a great tool for comparing software.
  • I don’t really have many cons to speak of. There were some features lacking early on, like searching by integration or service region, but those have been taken care of now.
  • I would like to be able to save my searches and comparisons, so that I could come back and reference them later, but it’s not a huge deal.
  • There are a couple of features I don't understand.
SourceForge is excellent in finding the right software for your needs. We use it mainly for contracting software (both with subcontractors and buyers) but it is also very helpful for management tools and price optimization.

It makes it very easy to compare different software and programs so you know you are getting what your need for your company and not wasting money on unnecessary programs .
They are very helpful and dedicated to customer service.
In my usage, SourceForge offers me a multi-benefit platform for Open Source projects and for downloading and reviewing new software.
  • Most trusted Open Source platform.
  • Easy to download and review software.
  • Offers best developer community.
  • User Interface is clean and smooth.
  • Finds the best software for my business.
  • Smart alternate tool suggestion.
  • Unbiased software reviews.
  • Few times site doesn't load properly due to CDN.
As I work in the data analytics field, the SourceForge platform helps me to get the right tool to make my professional work easy and effective. Its subcategory and unbiased user reviews help to make software purchase decisions easy.
The customer support is very active and has a multi-platform support service. I've contacted them using email, Facebook and Twitter every time I get a reply within 24hr.
SourceForge helps us to find the best solution for our business needs. It's an intuitive, web-based platform that allows us to search, compare and read user experiences of different business tools.
  • Categorized business software section.
  • Instant customer support.
  • Software feedback section.
  • Easy to compare with alternate tools.
  • Never had any bad experience.
We were having trouble finding the alternate of our current project management tool. From the SourceForge platform, we came to know about the Wrike project management tool. It saved time in research of the best tool we need for our business.
I had a query about its service, for this I contacted them using email. They gave me instant support and provided me a very satisfactory answer to what I needed. The support staff is very friendly and available for support every time. Easy to create tickets, no need to log in.
I personally use SourceForge to find the right software for my business needs. We used a handful of legacy systems and far too many spreadsheets in our business, so I started using SourceForge to find the best software for our business. I used SourceForge to evaluate CRMs, Invoicing software, project management software, and a lot more. I also work directly with my clients and many of them needed help finding the POS software for their needs or other inventory management software. I could just put their criteria in the filters on SourceForge and it helped me find some cool alternatives I had never heard of. I really like their "Alternatives" feature which let me go to a product one of them may have already used and just click on the "alternatives" button and there I would find the top competitors, making my search a lot quicker.
  • Clean user interface
  • Simple to use filters
  • Highly detailed product pages
  • Huge selection of products and categories
  • Search feature could be improved
  • Design could be refreshed
From my experience, SourceForge is well suited for people looking for a quick way to evaluate different SaaS products and make an informed decision. It's hard to find all of the best options, but SourceForge simplified that for me by allowing me to add filters to my search so that it only showed me software that was relevant to the size of my company and the other relevant information. I also like how I get to read the reviews of others to help me make a more informed decision.
I hardly ever use the support on SourceForge, as I have not needed it. Their product works well for me. One time I had to email them and they got back to me the same day, but that's my only experience.
I find Source Forge to be a very trustworthy platform to search for software, read their reviews, and make purchase decisions. The entire community is active on SourceForge and hence it makes for a great place to compare and contrast between various solutions. This is doubly true in the opensource world where there is very little accountability and everyone is promoting their solution.
  • Community presence
  • Open-source hosting
  • Trustworthy user reviews
  • Integration with popular IDEs.
  • A more coder-friendly UI like GitHub, etc.
I just think you should look for reviews and the number of downloads on SourceForge before downloading any software or making a purchase decision.
Their Support team is active.
We own several hotel properties, and SourceForge has been very useful for our company to help us find the right software. As Director of Revenue & Growth, I use SourceForge because it makes it extremely easy for me to find the right software for hotel management, pricing optimization, and yield management. It has made my work and the work at each of the hotels we manage much more streamlined and has helped our business grow.
  • Comparing business software.
  • Business software reviews.
  • Tools for creating software.
  • Software search by industry.
  • Everything was easy to use, no complaints.
SourceForge is great for finding the right software for your business. As Director of Revenue & Growth for a hotel group, SourceForge helped me find the right software for hotel management, pricing optimization, and yield management. I loved that I could see reviews from others in the industry to compare different software types.
Support was easy to reach if needed and very helpful.
It helps me to select the best tool that I need for my business. The software are well described and offers easy-to-compare multiple tools.
  • Quick software comparison.
  • Its user reviews tell the real-life experiences.
  • Biggest open source software hub.
  • I can't think of any cons.
For me, SourceForge helped me to figure out the best CRM tool that I was seeking for many days. It helps me to compare and read user reviews about that tool. The software was well described and gives key features with its integration supports. Easy to view alternative tools from its categories.
The customer support is great. It's quick, helpful and stays with customers or users in every need. It gives me both email and social media support to interact with the SourceForge team.
We use SourceForge both to acquire new customers for our SaaS product, as well as to find the right software when our team needs software to fill a new need. Of all the business software comparison and marketing channels we use, SourceForge has been the most effective with the lowest CPA. If you're a software company looking to acquire new customers and leads, I would highly recommend using SourceForge.

They've created some very cool software comparison tools that make finding the right software easy. If you have an open source version of your software, you can also upload it to the open source section of their site.
  • Easy learning curve.
  • Easy to find the right software.
  • Great reporting on your software campaign.
  • Design could be improved.
If you're a SaaS company and want to acquire new customers, then SourceForge is a great option to advertise your business software. If you are a user and need to find new business software to fit some unique need, then SourceForge has a great suite of comparison tools to help you find the right software. If you're an open source software developer, SourceForge has a lot of open source software development tools.
The SourceForge campaign managers have been very responsive whenever we have reached out.
Currently, we are not using SourceForge for our needs. We investigated a number of collaborative source code hosting solutions, and have opted against SourceForge for a number of reasons.
  • A large library of impressive FOSS programs with long legacies.
  • Excellent discussion/forum threads for the various repositories/projects.
  • Integrated download metrics displayed next to content to help end-users see which release/files are most popular.
  • End-User centric approach, easier to distribute and download content from.
  • Reviews for the project/content on the project page. Brilliant!
  • A brief period where abandoned projects were altered by SourceForge to have ad-ware bundled into installers.
  • Lack of direct/easy integration with popular tools like VSCode.
  • Development community seems to have shifted towards Git/Bitbucket for most big projects.
Given the disastrous decision (though only briefly executed) to modify abandoned projects to gain ad revenue, I'd have to say that I can't think of why I'd recommend anyone host their content there if they're already not entrenched in SourceForge. Compound that with the critical mass of new projects/developers moving to Git/Bitbucket, and the lack of easy integration with popular tools, I'd view SourceForge as a secondary place to host compiled code for download perhaps, due to their cleaner/nicer interface for downloading files from projects.

As an end-user, SourceForge is once again a (mostly) trustworthy repository for some great FOSS project downloads, discussion boards, and issue reporting.

What is SourceForge?

SourceForge is a software discovery platform for business software and open source software.

IT professionals can go to SourceForge to develop, download, review, and publish open source and business software. SourceForge is a destination for software discovery, software reviews, and software development.

With the tools provided, developers on SourceForge create software in over 502,000 projects; we host millions of registered users. The vendor states its directory connects more than 30 million monthly users with all of these open source projects and serves more than 2.6 million downloads a day. Their business software directory lists over 60,000 software titles.

SourceForge Screenshots