What is SourceForge?

Solid channel for inbound leads

September 15, 2021

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of SourceForge, and make your voice heard!

14 people want pricing too

What is GitHub?

GitHub is a platform that hosts public and private code and provides software development and collaboration tools. Features include version control, issue tracking, code review, team management, syntax highlighting, etc. Personal plans ($0-50), Organizational plans ($0-200), and Enterprise plans are…

What is SourceForge?

SourceForge is a software discovery platform for business software and open source software.

IT professionals can go to SourceForge to develop, download, review, and publish open source and business software. SourceForge is a destination for software discovery, software reviews, and software development.

With the tools provided, developers on SourceForge create software in over 502,000 projects; we host millions of registered users. The vendor states its directory connects more than 30 million monthly users with all of these open source projects and serves more than 2.6 million downloads a day. Their business software directory lists over 60,000 software titles.

SourceForge Screenshots

Screenshot of

SourceForge Integrations

SourceForge Competitors

SourceForge Technical Details

SourceForge is an online code hosting service boasting over 500,000 open source software projects, delivering over 4 million downloads every day, expert help, and global reach. SourceForge further boasts the world’s largest collection of open source software tools and applications available on the net.

GitHub, G2 for Buyers, and Capterra are common alternatives for SourceForge.

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 10.

The most common users of SourceForge are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Juliana Acevedo | TrustRadius Reviewer
In a significant way SourceForge has represented being a platform of excellence, we have implemented it throughout the company to achieve better work results, thanks to SourceForge we have achieved the solutions we needed, studying in its extensive list of software which is the most suitable for our system of work, being able to perfectly adapt different software that are an individual part of each department and of a whole for our company. This has been of great help to achieve better work productivity, choosing the best work tools has even allowed us to automate a lot of administrative work and in addition to this, we save time significantly, all since SourceForge has been the main channel of our solutions. Likewise, these software that we have adapted to our company have been the main precursors to achieve many things, our work team is now more united, there is better labor planning, the CRM system covers our clients much better, the accounting area has the necessary tools for a good billing system, human resources can evaluate statuses centrally, and just like you are, each department has platforms that support their work and make everything much easier day by day.
  • It categorizes all the software very well by work area and different functions, it is possible to see a huge list and get what I need, it also shows the best qualified for each section and from there it has been possible to determine the software we need.
  • The open space for the exchange of opinions is great! It opens the opportunity for us to express ourselves, both what is good and what is not so good and receiving feedback from the software involved allows them to improve and with this our work and user experience as well.
  • The publication of the reviews is quite fast, I am impressed by the speed of response and attention.
  • The support team is quite reliable, they solve problems quickly and easily, I get a quick response every time I have had a problem with the platform.
  • It has an extensive interface, its colors are striking, the tools are intuitive, and it is quite easy to understand how to interact with the tools.
  • I have only presented a single drawback, the antispam filter, I know that it is an important security system for the platform, however, it interrupts the user experience and does not make the moment when uploading a review comfortable. It has only happened to me a couple of times, when I have not committed spam, it would be ideal if this error was solved, it would give a better user experience, comfort when uploading reviews and give fewer scares to its users when that window appears.
We have achieved good results with SourceForge, we have hit the nail on the head with what we needed, it shows real, reliable reviews and they are a great guide to choose the software that truly represents our work, if you need to find a platform that best suits your system SourceForge will surely be able to offer you the pros and cons of each tool you need to evaluate. Likewise, it creates an open space for opinion and feedback for any platform that you like or that represents problems, it serves as knowledge and public exchange, which is excellent for all companies that seek to improve every day in what we do.
Ylia Adames | TrustRadius Reviewer
The main use we gave to SourceForge within our company is reading reviews. The main objective of this platform was to read reviews to be able to choose the correct software for our project sector. This platform met all our expectations and provided functions and precise tools so that we will find very functional software for us. The main problem that it solved was that it gave us the perfect tools so that we could choose the right software. In addition, this platform has also been key to giving our opinions about various programs, on some occasions I have written negative opinions about some software and the support team of that software contacted me to solve the dissatisfaction. I loved the overall benefit of this platform, it helped me a lot to choose various software suitable for my area of projects.
  • It has a great system and forms for writing reviews; you can write very good reviews in very few minutes. In addition, the reviews can be complete, it has several text fields and also simple selection questions.
  • I loved that this platform has very detailed reviews for all types of software. It doesn't matter if it's some finance or marketing software, it will also have very comprehensive reviews highlighting the key features of that program.
  • The general interface is comfortable. In addition, it has easy access to the various sections of the platform, so navigating within the platform and finding the right software is a fairly simple process.
  • Review moderation time is very short, I submitted several reviews on some programs we currently use and the reviews were approved within a few hours.
  • The only negative point that I have to give to this platform is that it currently does not have any type of filter that helps optimize the review search process. Currently, when you go into reviews of some software, all the reviews are together and there is no way to divide them by any job sector, company size, or type of user. This is a real problem since there are some users who sometimes need much more precise opinions, opinions about some software within a specific sector. I really hope they implement a review search filter system as quickly as possible.
The main reason why I recommend it is because this platform will help you strengthen your decision-making, and it will provide you with various options to consider so that you can implement the software that you want so much. In addition, I recommend this platform because you will be able to make various comparisons between various software, compare the characteristics, functions, and opinions of each of them, and choose the one that most captures your attention. I recommend this platform for small, medium, or large companies, using it does not have any additional cost. Finally, they can learn various strategies to start using the software they have just implemented.
Ana Gil | TrustRadius Reviewer
SourceForge began to be used in our organization as the main method to consult reviews, make comparisons of various software and obtain the ideal software for us, this platform we began to use with the objective of finding the appropriate software for us, since it turned out to be a complicated process due to so many software options that were presented to us over time, this platform was key to making the corresponding comparisons and knowing exactly which software benefited us the most regarding the price we should pay and the benefits that would be obtained in the short and medium term. SourceForge began to be used by various employees around our company, and it was a key platform for finding the right software to carry out various work activities.
  • I loved the way this platform compares all the software in a specific sector, for example, if you are looking for project software, this platform will make you an automated comparison of the best project software, so you can choose the best one for you and for the needs you have.
  • I loved how detailed the reviews I read within this platform were, during the comparison of various software, I was able to read several reviews that helped me make a much more accurate decision, the reviews within SourceForge were very detailed, with information information about the corresponding software and detailed information about the tools of each software.
  • I wrote a couple of reviews within this platform, reviews about software that I use within my Projects sector, and I loved the ease with which I was able to write these reviews, the review writing interface is quite comfortable, with selection questions simple which help you to have a more complete reviews. The process of writing reviews without a doubt I loved.
  • The only missing feature within this platform is the filter system, there is currently no filter to help you simplify the search for software reviews, for example, if you want to filter software reviews by a specific sector, this It is not possible, nor can you filter them by company size, since there is currently no type of filter in reading reviews, this is a missing and very important feature.
Without a doubt, I would recommend this platform for any company that is looking to renew its list of business software, they will be able to make perfect comparisons between various programs, they will be able to read detailed reviews with accurate information which will help you choose the right software. SourceForge is very easy to use, the interface is quite comfortable, you will be able to enter the various sections without any problem, in addition, you will also be able to access a forum where you can discuss and ask questions about some software, there is a trained staff to answer your questions , the forum is really helpful.
Maria Gutierrez | TrustRadius Reviewer
SourceForge has been used by a group of people from all over this company, I have used this platform in my sector because we weekly inspect the software that we use in our company and how we can optimize them, also within our sector it is important to maintain The updated software as best as possible, this platform has been key to developing new ones within our company in general. Mainly, when we started using this software, our main goal was to read reviews and inspect alternatives for the software that we use in our company, however, within this platform we have also participated in writing some reviews of software that we use and that we have the full experience. I must admit that this platform has helped me to improve the software that we use in our company in general, it has also helped us to share opinions of programs that we use every day in our work sector and within our working days, I am grateful for the user that has represented this software during all this time of use because it has provided me with quite detailed reviews about some software that I need to implement within my business area, this platform is quite complete and detailed regarding the reviews.
  • SourceForge Offers a fairly detailed platform section in which you can find a large list of software available for a specific area, and they also have a list of alternatives that can help you implement much better software with better features. The software listings that SourceForge offers have many alternatives, I can even find some software that is not so well known in the market.
  • This platform also has a public forum, where you can find help and you can make debates about some specific software about a problem you have with software coding, the forum is quite active, so when you have a doubt you can solve the with the help of people who use the forum consecutively. This is one of the most beneficial functions for me, since it is in the software sector of my company, the discussion forum is quite useful.
  • SourceForge It has quite detailed reviews about specific software. This is one of the most outstanding features of this platform because the reviews help them to have a better choice of a platform. The reviews within these platforms are very complete, they have positive and negative characteristics about specific software.
  • Really the only improvement that has to be done within this platform is regarding the design in general. The general design of the platform area Yam alternate some use or SourceForge It is quite organized, it has easy access to each of the sections, however the color that it currently uses and it is quite organized, it has the design of the UI, It can be a bit boring for some people. The current design of this platform must be optimized for scale since when you want to make settings in your profile within the platform, this process can be quite outdated, it has quite simple configuration buttons that do not capture the user's attention. The design is quite important for users in general, this is the only negative point that this platform has, it must improve its design, and it is expensive to make users feel more comfortable using the platform.
SourceForge is perfect for any company that is looking to renew its list of software that it uses within working hours, any company that is in need of a new software list, will be able to obtain it from this platform. SourceForge is a very specific platform, its general operation is quite good and it helps all users to obtain a quality review and write reviews on some software of which they have full experience. This platform is appropriate if you are looking for a place where you can express your opinion about a specific software, within this platform you will be able to write a large number of reviews without any problem, you can give your opinion about some features that you do not like about of a software and the owners or managers of that software will be able to see your opinion and improve some of the things you mentioned in that review. I would recommend this software for any company that is looking to optimize some software, it has a large list of alternatives in general for various business areas.
Harold Morales | TrustRadius Reviewer
SourceForge is being used in our Sales, Marketing sector and also by the Corporate staff of our company. In our company, we use the services of SourceForge to be able to obtain quality opinions and to be able to know how good or bad software is. For us, it is extremely important to use very good quality software and business solutions that help us to better develop our activities. That's why we've turned to the features of SourceForge, it's helped us replace some of our software within our sales industry, and it's made us perform better at a more affordable software price. We are very grateful for the results provided in SourceForge, we have enjoyed an excellent community in a forum, where various opinions can be shared on occasional issues of some software, in addition, on this website we have also shared our own and real opinions of the experience that we have had in some software belonging to our company, it is important that we share our opinion since this way we will help more people to have a good choice when deciding which software to use. We are very pleased with the current results at SourceForge, we have improved our software listing thanks to this excellent service.
  • I really liked the way SourceForge allows you to make reviews, they are really short opinions and they don't require you to fill out many forms to share your opinion about specific software. On several occasions I have written a couple of reviews about some programs that we use in our Sales area and the reviews have been really short, easy to complete and it is a very comfortable process.
  • I really like that SourceForge has an interactive forum where everyone can share ideas and solutions about some software or service. On several occasions, I have entered the forum section that SourceForge has and have obtained valuable information on real-time user experiences on some software. Some users share their doubts or problems that they have obtained in some software, and sometimes I have those same problems, so it is easy to solve them since many solutions are shared in that forum.
  • The moderation process is one of the most important things to mention about SourceForge. As I mentioned previously, on several occasions I had the opportunity to write a couple of reviews about some software that we use in our work sector, and when I submitted them, the moderation process was quite fast, the moderation team processes the reviews in less than 24 hours and that's amazing to me. Also, I loved the way the moderation team moderated my reviews over the weekends, sometimes the reviews would be submitted on a weekend and they would still moderate them, no exceptions even though I thought weekends didn't work.
  • My main criticism towards this tech review website is that they need to optimize the web design. I have felt comfortable reading real opinions about software users and writing a couple of opinions but I think that the design should be more professional, currently the design is very inconspicuous, with colors that are not so pleasant for users. It would be excellent if they elaborate a more optimal, more professional and formal design that helps the user to think that the web is attractive.
  • It is also important to mention that the anti-spam filter that SourceForge has is not that precise. On several occasions, when I have tried to send a review when I have finished writing it, a banner appears where it says "anti-spam filter" and I lose all the information that I have previously written in that review, this error has happened to me approximately 3 times, and it's a bit annoying, it would be great if they could fix it as soon as possible.
Without a doubt, I would recommend this SourceForge service to any user who is considering using it for their company, since they will have various options and will be able to read real opinions of some software they are thinking of buying, in addition, it allows many users to solve their concerns, thanks to the open forum they have. SourceForge will make you optimize the software you use in your company, currently, it has helped us to change several software that we were using, for software with better features and at better prices. Get the most out of SourceForge, it's a complete platform to get real opinions!
March 11, 2022

Great Review Software

We use SourceForge when identifying softwares to use in our organization. It can be very helpful in aiding our selection in a variety of softwares including Accounting, Finance, Banking, Marketing, Management, and more. The business problem we have is that it can be challenging to find a review site to trust, but SourceForge provides us with that site.
  • SourceForge is a great place to find reviews
  • SourceForge is a great place to leave reviews
  • SourceForge is a great place to learn about new software.
  • SourceForge could do more to solicit a more wide variety of reviews.
  • SourceForge could do more to identify more software solutions to list.
  • SourceForge could create more sponsored posts.
SourceForge is well suited if you know what software you are looking for as far as a software solution in order to read reviews on that software. SourceForge is less appropriate if you don’t know what software you’re looking for and need help identifying the software you need for your organizations.
We use SourceForge to gauge whether we should invest in a tool. It is nice to see if other software development companies are having luck with their tools and whether or not we might be able to utilize them. While our use case is much different than most, the insight of other developers is very useful.
  • Has fairly detailed reviews of products and a variety of professionals using them.
  • Gives good pros and cons of each software piece.
  • Has a large variety of different software.
  • I don't particularly have any things that I would say need to be changed, for us it is mostly good review insight.
I only have good experiences with SourceForge. It has been a useful tool for multiple areas of our org to check out different software for different parts of our company.
Sourceforge is often used as a tool of reference for finding other reliable software platforms and programs that exist out there. I appreciate the candid and honest feedback each platform displays, allowing my team and me to make informed decisions. Our time is a valuable resource, so to have a resource like Sourfoge on deck helps us to make wise choices in half the time we used to when we had to do all of the searchings ourselves.
  • Organization of platforms
  • A large scope of options
  • Easily searchable website
  • To many follow up emails
  • Can function slowly sometimes
  • Some features aren't user friendly
My main recommendation would be that it's a great tool to have in your back pocket for software discovery. They have such a wide range to offer and each option has the details you need to make the best decision for your organization. I appreciate the work they put into this resource.
I use SourceForge in my organization to use a reference tool when vetting software to run our business. For example, if we are looking to add a new Expense software, I will collectively get my team's wish list and compare that with software reviews on SourceForge. This gives me the best solution to our needs while weighing what other users have experienced with the software.
  • Easily categorizes software by their industry type
  • Each software has a good amount of reviews to have a fair judgment
  • The reviews are meaningful and structured so you have all information needed to make a decision
  • There are some software products that are not available.
  • The option to save or reference software that I previously looked at would help narrow down to a final selection.
  • Available trial downloads through SourceForge would be ideal.
I am able to narrow down software recommendations with the least amount of effort. For example, trying to find email marketing software was a breeze because I have all the top email campaign software on one site to reference. In some instances, I wish that SourceForge had a trial link to the software so we can test them out.
We used SourceForge to generate leads for our company. Generally, this was managed by the Marketing team, however, members from different parts of the organization were involved in implementing the program and making sure those leads made their way to our sales team. The implementation was easy, SourceForge just provided a source of the traffic to our landing page and much of the effort was involved in creating effective processes for following up with those leads. Once we had put a small amount of effort in the setup, there was virtually no work after that.

SourceForge addressed my teams never-ending needs for more high quality leads so that we could continue to grow our user base. They also had some cool features that showed us the names of the companies looking at our page so that our sales team could actually go out and contact those companies.
  • Lead generation
  • Simple setup, easy to manage once live
  • Increase brand awareness
  • displace competitors
  • Good customer service
  • minor UI fixes for admins
  • minor additional API functionalities
  • more in depth reporting functionalities
SourceForge is best suited for a software company that is looking to generate leads to find new customers. Our software is niche, which means it can be hard to use traditional marketing channels to find the right buyers. Software review websites like SourceForge provide an effective marketing channel that allows the right people to find our website. This inbound marketing channel brought consistent leads and was easy for our team to manage. The service is very straightforward, once you sign up you get links back to your website and they start sending the leads to you. If this is what you are looking and you're a software company trying to grow, then SourceForge could be a good fit for you.
  • Online training
SourceForge paired us with a campaign manager who helped us with onboarding, setup and any questions that came up along the way. Many platforms these days are self service, which is sometimes nice but having a real person help when problems arise is nice. They were friendly and response. After the setup period, we had very few questions so ultimately I had a good experience with support.
Working in a relatively small, family-owned printing business, each employee wears many hats. One of mine is to determine which software can best meet our needs across multiple platforms.<br><br>I've been able to turn to SourceForge for getting real-world reviews from users who actually have experience using the software. It's been a great tool for helping me make critical decisions that will affect our daily workflows.
  • Wide variety of software database
  • Tells pricing information of software
  • Gives screen shots, videos, etc of software
  • Provides direct links to software's website
  • I'm not fond of having sponsored listings
SourceForge is honestly one of the best searchable databases I've ever used. The content they provide for each software listing is very thorough. They provide all sorts of information ranging from pricing, to company history, to system requirements, and so much more. They even have a section for Frequently Asked Questions.
We are a holdings company with many brands in our umbrella, including technology and software companies. We use SourceForge for multiple software products in our portfolio. It's being used to drive customer acquisition at our software company by showcasing our software, generating new customer leads, and sending large amounts of quality click traffic to our software's website. It addresses a number of problems including new user acquisition, marketing, and reputation management. We're able to collect and showcase customer reviews, list all of our product integrations, list marketing materials and assets like screenshots and videos, and acquire new customers who are interested in our software.
  • Very comprehensive software search engine
  • Filter software by integrations, region, organization type, company size, and more
  • Easy user review collection program
  • Great customer support (by email or phone)
  • Competitive pricing
  • Unlimited clicks/leads for a flat rate (compared to PPC)
  • Buyer insight data about who looks at our software
  • Detailed reporting
  • We'd like to be able to embed Vimeo videos
  • Would be nice to be able to list case studies within their platform
SourceForge is an absolute powerhouse for generating new software customers at a very competitive rate compared to other review platforms. SourceForge is best suited for SaaS companies that want an effective new user acquisition program without having to micromanage a PPC campaign. Since SourceForge provides unlimited clicks and leads for a single flat rate, I don't have to worry about myself or the marketing team overspending on pay-per-click or forgetting about the campaign and then being hit with a big PPC bill later.

SourceForge offers a lot of bells and whistles, and their program is very powerful if you take advantage of them. They offer sophisticated analytics, conversion tracking codes to track conversions, and a really unique integration and competitor engine. I would say SourceForge works really well if you listen to and adhere to their best practices. If you set up your profile and campaign correctly, it will generate a lot of qualified customer leads on autopilot. If you just sign up and don't spend any time optimizing your profile according to their best practices, you might not be as successful. SourceForge gets a ton of traffic, so if you sell SaaS, you need to be featured on this site.
  • Online training
Their support is lightning-fast to respond to us any time we have questions or issues. We have a dedicated campaign manager who we can call or email any time we need help, which is not often, but it's nice to be able to lean on when necessary. They're also open to walking us through different features of the product and general training.
SourceForge is a great place to find and download software. They have a huge list of commercial and open-source software. My personal favorite would be their open-source registry. They have comparison charts to help us analyze prices of various software and their use cases. I find their reviews trustworthy and quite detailed as well. The downloading process is fast and efficient, with multiple links and mirrors provided. SourceForge has made it easy for me to find the best software for any purpose, be it for managing workflow, mind-mapping, or team management.
  • Finding and comparing software prices, which is especially useful for businesses.
  • Searching for and downloading open-source software for any purpose.
  • An easy portal to search for rival software and what users are saying about them. It helps better analyze your own products and is quite helpful for making reports.
  • The download links are usually all external, and since there are multiple links, it can be a pain to figure out which mirror would work the best for us.
  • Search functionality has a lot of room for improvement. They lack proper filters, which would have improved the quality of software searches tenfold.
SourceForge is a great tool for software developers and companies, or even common users. It bridges the gap between the developer and their users--allowing users to find the right software or business tools and allowing businesses to find an audience and see what they think about their product. The software comparison charts and reviews give enough insight to let you choose the best product for your use-case. SourceForge is also helpful for collaborating with other developers or downloading open-source software for your own personal use. Facilities to host open-source software and version control for developers are another advantage.

However, SourceForge does lack a good search filter option, and it could also add some more lesser-known software to it's growing list. Other than that, there is really no reason to doubt the site.
SourceForge is being use widely across the company to find the perfect softwares for many purposes. Being a wide conglomerate, there are needs of different tools for different purposes; SourceForge helps us to decide the right fit for all requirements. It has hundreds of organic reviews from experienced users, and a good support system.
  • Organic reviews
  • Quick customer support
  • Indepth analysis
  • UI could be slightly better
  • More options for modifying user profile
SourceForge is a hub of organic reviews from users of all domains. These reviews help us in making key decisions for the software and tools we purchase for our company use. We depend on SourceForge heavily and rely especially on user reviews and their experiences with the respective tools before making our purchase decision.
Rahul Maurya | TrustRadius Reviewer
SourceForge is a good way to discover business software and open-source software for my project and business. It has really helped me a lot in finding what is suitable for my work. It's an excellent web-based platform that has helped me read user reviews and compare software as well as find the latest software to keep me up to date.
  • Very simple and basic user interface
  • Great tool to compare and read trustworthy review about business software
  • Giant open-source software hub for the user
  • Easy to find the right software for my project
  • Unable to add software to wishlist
  • Overall works excellently
I have been mainly using SourceForge to find the right software for my open-source project and business needs. Before deploying or buying any new software, I need to read the user experience and compare it with other software in the market so that my resources don't go to waste. I work with different platform people, and most of them need help in finding the perfect software, I filter out the software on SourceForge according to their needs.
The support team is quite active and helps give you a complete solution to your problem.
In my usage, SourceForge offers me a multi-benefit platform for Open Source projects and for downloading and reviewing new software.
  • Most trusted Open Source platform.
  • Easy to download and review software.
  • Offers best developer community.
  • User Interface is clean and smooth.
  • Finds the best software for my business.
  • Smart alternate tool suggestion.
  • Unbiased software reviews.
  • Few times site doesn't load properly due to CDN.
As I work in the data analytics field, the SourceForge platform helps me to get the right tool to make my professional work easy and effective. Its subcategory and unbiased user reviews help to make software purchase decisions easy.
The customer support is very active and has a multi-platform support service. I've contacted them using email, Facebook and Twitter every time I get a reply within 24hr.
We use SourceForge to readily and easily find the right software for all our departments' needs.

We use it mainly in contracting and accounting. It has streamlined our contracting department and provided us price optimization tools that we didn't know existed. It helped us filter out what we needed most. Our contracting software is now much more user friendly and straight forward. SourceForge helped eliminate unnecessary programs that bogged us down.
  • SourceForge makes it really easy to find the right software.
  • SourceForge can help streamline and optimize your business.
  • SourceForge is a great tool for comparing software.
  • I don’t really have many cons to speak of. There were some features lacking early on, like searching by integration or service region, but those have been taken care of now.
  • I would like to be able to save my searches and comparisons, so that I could come back and reference them later, but it’s not a huge deal.
  • There are a couple of features I don't understand.
SourceForge is excellent in finding the right software for your needs. We use it mainly for contracting software (both with subcontractors and buyers) but it is also very helpful for management tools and price optimization.

It makes it very easy to compare different software and programs so you know you are getting what your need for your company and not wasting money on unnecessary programs .
They are very helpful and dedicated to customer service.
I personally use SourceForge to find the right software for my business needs. We used a handful of legacy systems and far too many spreadsheets in our business, so I started using SourceForge to find the best software for our business. I used SourceForge to evaluate CRMs, Invoicing software, project management software, and a lot more. I also work directly with my clients and many of them needed help finding the POS software for their needs or other inventory management software. I could just put their criteria in the filters on SourceForge and it helped me find some cool alternatives I had never heard of. I really like their "Alternatives" feature which let me go to a product one of them may have already used and just click on the "alternatives" button and there I would find the top competitors, making my search a lot quicker.
  • Clean user interface
  • Simple to use filters
  • Highly detailed product pages
  • Huge selection of products and categories
  • Search feature could be improved
  • Design could be refreshed
From my experience, SourceForge is well suited for people looking for a quick way to evaluate different SaaS products and make an informed decision. It's hard to find all of the best options, but SourceForge simplified that for me by allowing me to add filters to my search so that it only showed me software that was relevant to the size of my company and the other relevant information. I also like how I get to read the reviews of others to help me make a more informed decision.
I hardly ever use the support on SourceForge, as I have not needed it. Their product works well for me. One time I had to email them and they got back to me the same day, but that's my only experience.
I find Source Forge to be a very trustworthy platform to search for software, read their reviews, and make purchase decisions. The entire community is active on SourceForge and hence it makes for a great place to compare and contrast between various solutions. This is doubly true in the opensource world where there is very little accountability and everyone is promoting their solution.
  • Community presence
  • Open-source hosting
  • Trustworthy user reviews
  • Integration with popular IDEs.
  • A more coder-friendly UI like GitHub, etc.
I just think you should look for reviews and the number of downloads on SourceForge before downloading any software or making a purchase decision.
Their Support team is active.
We own several hotel properties, and SourceForge has been very useful for our company to help us find the right software. As Director of Revenue & Growth, I use SourceForge because it makes it extremely easy for me to find the right software for hotel management, pricing optimization, and yield management. It has made my work and the work at each of the hotels we manage much more streamlined and has helped our business grow.
  • Comparing business software.
  • Business software reviews.
  • Tools for creating software.
  • Software search by industry.
  • Everything was easy to use, no complaints.
SourceForge is great for finding the right software for your business. As Director of Revenue & Growth for a hotel group, SourceForge helped me find the right software for hotel management, pricing optimization, and yield management. I loved that I could see reviews from others in the industry to compare different software types.
Support was easy to reach if needed and very helpful.
We use SourceForge both to acquire new customers for our SaaS product, as well as to find the right software when our team needs software to fill a new need. Of all the business software comparison and marketing channels we use, SourceForge has been the most effective with the lowest CPA. If you're a software company looking to acquire new customers and leads, I would highly recommend using SourceForge.

They've created some very cool software comparison tools that make finding the right software easy. If you have an open source version of your software, you can also upload it to the open source section of their site.
  • Easy learning curve.
  • Easy to find the right software.
  • Great reporting on your software campaign.
  • Design could be improved.
If you're a SaaS company and want to acquire new customers, then SourceForge is a great option to advertise your business software. If you are a user and need to find new business software to fit some unique need, then SourceForge has a great suite of comparison tools to help you find the right software. If you're an open source software developer, SourceForge has a lot of open source software development tools.
The SourceForge campaign managers have been very responsive whenever we have reached out.
Currently, we are not using SourceForge for our needs. We investigated a number of collaborative source code hosting solutions, and have opted against SourceForge for a number of reasons.
  • A large library of impressive FOSS programs with long legacies.
  • Excellent discussion/forum threads for the various repositories/projects.
  • Integrated download metrics displayed next to content to help end-users see which release/files are most popular.
  • End-User centric approach, easier to distribute and download content from.
  • Reviews for the project/content on the project page. Brilliant!
  • A brief period where abandoned projects were altered by SourceForge to have ad-ware bundled into installers.
  • Lack of direct/easy integration with popular tools like VSCode.
  • Development community seems to have shifted towards Git/Bitbucket for most big projects.
Given the disastrous decision (though only briefly executed) to modify abandoned projects to gain ad revenue, I'd have to say that I can't think of why I'd recommend anyone host their content there if they're already not entrenched in SourceForge. Compound that with the critical mass of new projects/developers moving to Git/Bitbucket, and the lack of easy integration with popular tools, I'd view SourceForge as a secondary place to host compiled code for download perhaps, due to their cleaner/nicer interface for downloading files from projects.

As an end-user, SourceForge is once again a (mostly) trustworthy repository for some great FOSS project downloads, discussion boards, and issue reporting.