Spotlight Reviews

February 21, 2020
Spotlight provides a variety of insights into our SQL server. Used primarily in the IT department, it notifies us of stress on the server and allows users to help target specific processes contributing to that stress. It also allows us to rewind to the time a problem occurs and see a snapshot of what was happening, which is useful when trying to identify the cause of off-hours issues.
  • Great SQL server monitoring
  • Rewind and playback of previous times
  • Some things like the "server health" ratings are tied to preset properties and are less useful if those are not important in your environment.
  • It can be challenging to adjust thresholds to try to make alerting and status more accurate.
Spotlight is great when you need a tool to give a quick look at a SQL server as a whole. It gives you the ability to see a lot of things, which can be vital in diagnosing problems or identifying stressors. Less great is the open-end of some of the diagnoses it makes, and things it identifies as "problems" (unless you love users coming to you and saying something like "Spotlight says there's a problem with our page latch!!!").
Though our support needs have been minimal, we have gotten good responses when we have needed it.
October 15, 2019
Kathy Nahle | TrustRadius Reviewer
All the DBAs in our team use Spotlight, which currently is at 6 people. We bring up in the morning and continue to monitor all day. This gives us a great view of active production databases. We are able to view top sessions, top SQL and see CPU consumption. It is actually one of the best tools we have used for monitoring Oracle databases.
  • The screen is color-coded, so when Red or Orange is displayed you are able to drill down into that setting and figure out what is going on.
  • This tool also integrates with the OEM agents which will also have implemented.
  • Spotlight also works great without RAC databases, able to view at the cluster level or drill down to instances and VM's.
  • Have not found any issues at this point.
Spotlight is well suited for any Oracle database and supports multiple versions. Nothing special is needed to support multiple versions.
I've never had to contact support, as of yet I have had no issues or problems with the tool. This is after 5 years of use.
Read Kathy Nahle's full review
May 26, 2016
The DBA team uses it for real-time monitoring of a couple dozen of the production instances as well as spot monitoring of development instances when troubleshooting issues. We also make it available in a read-only mode to our clients so they can monitor their production instances as well. It's not the company supported/supplied software, but since that doesn't work well enough, we've supplemented it with Spotlight for our most important instances.
  • I love the main page that provides a color code list of all the servers so I know very quickly where to focus my attention first.
  • I love how easy it is to configure new notifications.
  • I love how easy it is to configure a new server to monitor.
  • My only complaint was the cost.
I like it anywhere a you need to see current state at a glance.

Performance dashboard (3)
Intelligent alerting (3)
Top SQL (2)
Historical trend data (2)
Virtualization support (2)

What is Spotlight?

Spotlight from Quest Software is a database performance monitoring option.

Spotlight Technical Details