SpyFu Reviews

January 30, 2020
Jake Hundley | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Spyfu to see what kind of competition our clients are facing and for what keywords their competition is targeting. It's also a good measure to see what our client's viability is with their given budget before we launch their campaign. We'll primarily use it to assess keyword rankings before we have enough data in Google Search Console.
  • Free feature
  • Accurate data
  • Paid portion may seem a bit steep.
  • Free version is very limited with what you're able to see.
SpyFu has worked extremely well for us when we assess a prospect's market competition to see how competitive we need to be as a marketing agency, as well as what we should expect when launching ad campaigns as far as impression share goes. The data we're able to pull to show prospect's the climate of their market really impresses them. Once we have acquired that client, we focus less on what the competition is doing and more on how we can better optimize the keywords we're aiming for. In this instance, SpyFu isn't as applicable to us since we use another SEO/PPC tool for existing clients.
I haven't needed to use SpyFu's customer support yet. Everything seems to work as intended. Or at least what I need it to do for our company.
Read Jake Hundley's full review
January 30, 2020
George Louvis | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu is used primarily by me. Although my marketing team has access to it, I tend to be the one that uses it the most. We use it to find good keywords to use for our clients, as well as checking out what competitors are using and looking at their ads. Being able to see what ads specific competitors have been running, when they run them and their budget is a tremendous advantage for us in putting together plans for our clients.
  • Gets info on competitor's websites. Simply putting in a domain name allows us to see what keywords they rank for organically, how much they spend on PPC and what their ads look like.
  • Finds the best keywords for our clients. By showing what keywords are going to cost, how many searches per month, etc. it allows us to plan budgets more accurately.
  • Obviously, not every website can be tracked. They add as many as they can, but sometimes a keyword or specific site just isn't being tracked yet.
One of my clients owns a seasonal company. He is relatively small in an industry where he goes against national franchises. His annual budget is $100,000 per year. The national franchise spends that in one month. However, by looking at their ads and their keywords we can plan the best way to market against them and the best time to run specific ads with specific keywords and targets. It also helps us to optimize our site so that we rank organically for keywords they are paying for.
SpyFu comes with a link to tutorial videos. I recommend you watch them. The software is capable of so much you really need to watch the videos and learn how to get the most out of it. When I have a question 90% of the time it's there. When it isn't, and I reach out to them, support is always quick and concise.
Read George Louvis's full review
January 28, 2020
Frank Watson | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu allows us to get insights into the terms used by competitors and helps us build a planned budget for paid search spend for new clients. It also now gives us insights into how our SEO efforts are faring. We can see what terms - either paid or organic - should be given attention. The information on the backlinks of competitors helps us discover places we should add to our client's backlink profiles. All in all this tool is an important part of our arsenal. I have been using it since the early days and am impressed with how the tool has matured and added elements.
  • Paid keyword research.
  • Insights into organic keyword positions.
  • Recommendations of terms to concentrate attention.
  • Impact of brand terms.
  • Levels of impressions - local, national, global.
  • Exporting of competitor ad copy.
If you need insights into the competitive landscape of any online space this tool is excellent. It also finds competitors via keywords both for paid and organic search. This provides an opportunity to see what keywords may have been overlooked or what terms should be looked at for organic - knowing that the rankings and traffic volume warrants it.
Knowledgeable staff and chat support, they are always helpful.
Read Frank Watson's full review
Bill Martin | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu, along with other tools, allows us to see how people are accessing a potential client's website. We see a sample of what people have done in the past recent months — an example of organic terms that are puling up search results as well as some keyword research.
  • Paid search keywords
  • Organic keywords
  • Accuracy- any product like this can only be about 40% accurate.
  • Their account building tool could be more expansive, and not so 'set in stone'.
If you are looking for exact traffic numbers from various channels, not so good. Privacy concerns prevent this and keep accuracy in the sub-50% area. However, if you need some research on a website, it's one of the better ones and is an excellent way to augment Google's keyword planner
I have not needed support.
Read Bill Martin's full review
Ruben Diaz | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use SpyFu to see what my competitors are using as some of their keywords. Competitive analysis. I use it to analyze potential keywords that I may want to add to our campaigns. On many occasions, I also use it to see SEO data. Most importantly is the SEM Keyword analysis, which also shows spent data.
  • Shows Our Competitors in regards to PPC
  • Keyword Analysis
  • Doesn't differentiate between Google and other search engines.
  • Has no Bing Data
SpyFu is well suited to spy on your competition. See what they're bidding on and what they're not. How much they're spending. How long of a history they have with Ad words. In most situations, it gives you a better understanding of the whole Keyword search realm.
Haven't reached out to their support team.
Read Ruben Diaz's full review
November 06, 2019
Austin Voigt | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu is mainly used by our paid media department and SEO department for competitive research. However, it is also a great tool for us to better understand how search engines are perceiving our clients' sites and marketing initiatives and allows us to have a better understanding of the digital marketing landscape.
  • Affordable price point compared to other similar tools.
  • An easy-to-use interface that makes it accessible to most of our employees regardless of experience level.
  • Strong information for us to reference in our marketing research.
  • SpyFu's data could possibly be a little more specific; compared to some other similar platforms, it's slightly simplistic.
  • SpyFu could consider providing more competitor information outside of search, and delve into other platforms like social, as this data is becoming more widely available.
  • SpyFu's user interface - while easy to navigate - also takes away a lot of customizations and levers you might be able to pull in other platforms.
SpyFu has a very friendly user interface that is easy to navigate, it has a lower price entry point which is great for smaller businesses like ours, and it does provide the basic data we need for our digital marketing research from both an SEO and paid media perspective. However, there are a few things that get sacrificed with these benefits; the data is not as robust as other platforms, the user interface is not a bit over-simplistic and not as customizable, and you're definitely getting a bit less when you pay a bit less.
I rated the support as neutral, due to the fact that I have not yet needed to reach out to SpyFu's support for any issues in my experience with the platform, therefore I do not have a solid way to rate their support.
Read Austin Voigt's full review
January 23, 2020
We use SpyFu for PPC and SEO research. As an agency, we use it for our own purposes and for that of our clients. It's easy to by people on our team to quickly understand the cost of PPC terms and run competitive reports. We will run reports and send them to clients.
  • PPC Research
  • Competitive Research
  • Setting up Projects within SpyFu could be easier
SpyFu is great for agencies and internal marketing teams. It's easy to use by all people in a marketing role. Senior-level executives may not be interested in greater detail within reports and research. Still, those details are helpful for the marketing person running PPC campaigns or SEO related types of activities.
I've only had one issue to reach out to SpyFu support a while back, and they were extremely responsive.
January 18, 2020
I use SpyFu to do keyword and competitor research. I need to know the search volume of keywords and which keywords competitors are bidding on so that I may optimize my marketing strategies.
  • SpyFu shows keyword search volumes and related keywords which I struggle to find elsewhere.
  • SpyFu shows details about any website's organic traffic.
  • I would like to be able to see keyword search volumes for more countries.
If you are starting out your business idea, it is wise that you first do keyword research to make sure there is an interest in your business idea, especially if it's an online business. It is also very helpful when you want to see who will be your competitors and how well they are performing by reviewing their website.
I have not used their support.
August 27, 2019
Angela Lyons, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
The marketing department at ClientHub uses SpyFu to research keywords and ad campaigns for our paid search initiatives. There are many tools out there to do this, but SpyFu is pretty straightforward. In addition, you can see what your competition is doing for keywords and ads. Without proper keyword research, a company can find themselves spending quite a bit on ineffective ad campaigns.
  • Educational resources
  • Competitor information
  • Intuitive interface
  • Affordable price
  • I can't think of anything in particular that needs room for improvement.
Spyfu is great for both PPC and SEO keyword research. You can also see what your competitors are doing which can give you ideas for your own company.

I really like the feature that allows me to see ads that competitors are using.

Kombat is fun because you can compare yourself with competitors and see where there are similarities and differences.
Read Angela Lyons, MBA's full review
February 04, 2019
Atilla Vekony | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Spyfu to discover new profitable keywords for Google Ads and for SEO. It is also great to look at competitors' keywords and ads.
  • Discover profitable keywords.
  • Review competitor's well-performing ads.
  • Track your status on Google search results.
  • The best feature of Spyfu is called "Kombat," where you compare the keywords used by you and your competitors and can see which ones generate a lot of results for them, and which you're not currently using.
  • It is overwhelming first to navigate through all the available reports, but it's great that you can have a live orientation with one of their team members.
It is well suited for SEO firms and agencies serving other businesses. If it's just for your own business, it's probably overkill.
Read Atilla Vekony's full review
January 29, 2019
Max Milano | TrustRadius Reviewer
Spyfu is one of the most useful tools for digital marketers out in the market right now. We use it for the obvious PPC keyword research, but the real value is at looking at competitors and figuring out their digital marketing strategy by looking at the keywords and budgets they have (or don't have).
  • The best tool for keyword research based on close competitors.
  • The best tool for discovering what PPC strategy and budget your competitors are using.
  • You can also use it for ad copy ideas.
  • It would be great if it expanded to Facebook.
Spyfu is a must before starting any AdWords campaign. If you didn't use it you would be in the dark about your competitors and it would waste a lot of your budget. Not really needed if you don't plan on running an Adwords campaign. It's still good to see what competitors are doing though.
Read Max Milano's full review
December 21, 2018
Sylvia Flores | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use it to provide competitive analysis for clients, specifically when I am performing a marketing and brand audit. This helps me to establish a baseline with the client on what they are up against, so we can attack with intention. :)
  • The domain overview is extremely helpful - for CEOs, this dashboard is exactly the kind of quick hit, at-a-glance experience they want to see.
  • Worst performing and top performing keywords for paid search - this is an invaluable tool to determine how to approach paid against a competitor.
  • To adwords to buy - this is obviously a wonderful bit of intelligence for testing, and for the most part, holds up in battle testing.
  • Reporting is terrible - meaning, the PDF feature does not lay out correctly.
I think it's an excellent tool for marketers to keep a consistent eye on their competitive landscape so they can pivot as required. But the reporting feature is not great and creates an additional layer of hands-on manual work.
Read Sylvia Flores's full review
December 17, 2018
Lee'Ann Burgess | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu is a great tool to get an overview of your competitors' keywords they are ranking for, estimated ad spend on Google Ad words, samples of their ad copy and allows you create projects to help you track your SEO and marketing efforts. My main use for SpyFu is to gain insight on keywords and links that my competitors and my clients' competitors are using.
  • Easy to navigate. The user interface is pretty straightforward and easy to use.
  • Projects: Create projects for your own company or for clients you are managing to track your efforts.
  • Insights on ad spend, keywords and impression share.
  • Price - I was a user for several years and trying out another platform, I canceled and was quickly offered the same platform I had used for years at half the price.
  • I know the ad spend for Google Adwords is estimated - It would be helpful if it was a little more accurate - maybe not a doable feature of SpyFu, but would be helpful.
If you own your company and have any involvement with tracking your marketing efforts as well as keeping tabs on what your competitors are doing and how they are ranking, I would recommend using SpyFu and at the very least, try it out for free to see if it is a good fit for you and your organization. It's a helpful tool and I have been using it for several years for my company.
Read Lee'Ann Burgess's full review
January 08, 2019
Kiar Olson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use SpyFu to help our customers gain insight into their competitor's most important keywords and what they are spending money on. It also gave us valuable keyword research for new markets and looking for new niches our customers require.
  • Great for keyword research.
  • Gain insights into what competitors are doing and ranking for.
  • Allow multiple profiles for customers so I can have a client website and then it's competitors on a dashboard.
For someone in the website marketing and SEO business, it's a great tool to help find the best keywords that work for competitors.
Read Kiar Olson's full review
December 27, 2018
Sharon A. Dawson, DTM | TrustRadius Reviewer
The Marketing and Sales team of my company find SpyFu very helpful to check on our clients' websites, their competitors', and potential new customers.
  • Compare ranking versus competitor sites
  • Look up keywords relevant to site
  • See PPC ads
  • Get traffic data on competitor sites without needed their Google Analytics access
  • Would be nice to do more customization to the competitive ranking graph
Great for determining a strategy for digital marketing and SEO updates for a website, and to see how changes you made to the site help it improve over time.
Read Sharon A. Dawson, DTM's full review
March 14, 2017
Chandler Elmore | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu is primarily used by us to do competitor research. We use it to look at what our clients' competitors are doing with PPC efforts as well as baseline SEO analysis. It provides us with the opportunity to look at the big picture with a bunch of different players, not just our client.
  • PPC reports for competition. SpyFu allows you to gain insight into possible budget spend as well as what their ads look like.
  • The keyword tool within SpyFu is great for seeing what your web sites biggest hitters are as well as what your competition keywords stack against yours. If you share certain keywords, it ranks who has better traction.
  • Reporting is a weakness with the platform. It is not the easiest process to implement and the information can be better organized.
  • There are inaccuracies with the PPC reporting, especially for competitors. To our knowledge, the only way that PPC budgets are estimated is through ads that have already been clicked on the search network. This means that display, programmatic and other ad formats are not counted.
SpyFu is great if you need a quick, broad overview of your online efforts compared to the online efforts of your competition. It is a great tool to use when you are needing to estimate or come up with a new PPC spend for a client. It also is good in looking at the effectiveness of your website's keywords as compared with your competitors.
The support team at SpyFu works hard and stands by their product. They answer relatively quickly and have always been more than willing to help out when an issue has appeared. With this said, I have only used their customer/product support fleetingly because the platform performs what I need it to do. A lot of the questions that I have had are in help/support pages on the site.
Read Chandler Elmore's full review
June 07, 2016
Gwendolyn Guarino | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Spyfu for competitive recon for PPC clients. Some of our clients need a more comprehensive competitor list. Some clients know who they consider to be competitors. Spyfu provides the data we need to target the appropriate (apples to apples) competitors. At the point where we can identify the precise competitors, we use Spyfu to get detailed keywords, adgroups and budget/bid data to be able to ferret out advertising opportunities.
  • This product links competitor data quite easily in the dashboard, from one domain to the next.
  • The overviews for each domain are clear and comprehensive, making the birds-eye-view complete.
  • The PPC vs. SEO views are clearly defined and easy to navigate.
  • Some of the competitor results seem unrelated to the primary domain. Much more manual research is required to get the best possible data.
  • Some keywords are completely unrelated. Again, manual research is required to get the best data.
  • Exporting to a CSV/PDF does not include manually added information. This is particularly disappointing.
I think Spyfu is the most effective when you have very little core data - seeking out a competitor list, gathering a comprehensive keyword or ad group list, building out new campaigns, and the like. If you already have a lot of intel, Spyfu will regurgitate the same information.
Read Gwendolyn Guarino's full review
May 03, 2016
Kara Toedtli | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use SpyFu for competitive research for all clients. We also utilize it for PPC competition analysis including keyword research and spend.
  • Competitor analysis
  • PPC competition information
  • PPC Ad copy research
  • Better list of keywords when doing research
  • More information on ppc spend of competition
SpyFu is well suited for competitive analysis.
Read Kara Toedtli's full review
March 04, 2016
Amber Stanley-Kruth | TrustRadius Reviewer
SpyFu is a great tool for seeing how your website compares to others. It drills down into keywords, spend and presence in the market.
  • Keyword Research
  • AdWords History and Performance
  • Inside look into the SEO/PPC performance of other sites
  • Unable to get local data
  • Can only see root domain stats
  • No data on CPC or CTR for PPC
Great for new clients and gaining insight to prospective clients. Very useful to have a tool that compares one site to another and provides suggestions about most valued keywords.
Read Amber Stanley-Kruth's full review
December 21, 2018
As a primarily entrepreneur company, we are constantly looking to optimize our own campaigns—but in optimization comes beating out our competitors. We use SpyFu currently to look into exactly what our competitors are doing. Based on what they are doing we are able to tweet our own campaigns so that we can maintain competitiveness in the market.
  • Showing exactly what keywords our competitors are targeting, shows which ones we should target ourselves.
  • When determining a marketing budget for a new project, we are able to project how much SEO would cost based on what our competitors are doing.
  • Looking at what the competitors have in their backlinks helps us with optimizing our own website and landing pages.
  • Some of the smaller websites that don't receive much traffic are often hard to complete competitive analyses for.
Whenever a teammate has to complete a competitive analysis or asks about what the "others" are doing - I always will recommend that they use SpyFu to answer those questions. "what keywords should we target?" are also able to be answered using SpyFu. This helps when setting up a Bing or Google Adwords campaign.
December 18, 2018
We use SpyFu to help us formulate our initial SEO and PPC keyword strategy for our clients by looking at their competitor's websites. Instead of starting from scratch, we find it useful to look at the keywords that are already performing for the competition to identify opportunities and as well as areas that have been ignored.
  • SEO Keywords
  • PPC Keywords
  • Look-a-Like Audience Development
  • Accuracy
  • Breadth of Research
SpyFu is an essential source of information that can be used to set the initial assumptions guiding a digital marketing campaign. However, because the data is not a primary source it would be a mistake to continue to guide campaign decisions in the long haul using this tool. Google Analytics and primary source advertising data is ultimately the key.
September 27, 2018
The ad agencies I've worked at have used SpyFu to gain competitive intelligence. This is something SEM vendors partially provide and SpyFu helps fill in the gaps to work on a holistic SEM strategy.
  • Estimated cost per clicks by competitor. SpyFu provides deeper intel than the engines b/c the data is segmented by domain and is not masked
  • Estimated monthly traffic volume & costs associated with higher spending competitors. SpyFu provides deeper intel than the engines b/c the data is segmented by domain and is not masked
  • The cost per click information is not terribly accurate but can usually be used directionally. Obviously, with a paid product, people want exact data
  • The free tool has limited data that mainly show vague feedback on your competitors. Def need paid version for any useful info.
It is a directionally useful tool for providing full service SEM strategy. It is a must have in an agency's toolkit, since it's one of the most progressive competitive intelligence database out there that isnt from a vendor.
February 28, 2018
Our marketing team has been using SpyFu for their keyword research tools, competitor analysis tools, and webpage traffic tools to better analyze how our organic website and PPC ads stack up against our competitors. SpyFu also allows us to research new keywords to use for our PPC campaigns inside of Bing and Adwords.
  • SpyFu's competitor analysis tool is unparalleled. A detailed, strategic breakdown of how competitors do or don't spend their advertising budgets, and how organic SEO plays into their overall traffic.
  • Researching new keywords has always been an important step when improving our organic SEO rank and SpyFu allows us to research keywords directly from the console.
  • SpyFu's overall platform is wide-reaching, but could be better optimized by allowing customers to see the data broken down across the various web browser paltforms, e.g, Google, Bing, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.
SpyFu is excellent for both advertising and marketing teams looking to improve their paid and organic SEO ranks across Bing and Google. SpyFu can help you retain and gain market share on all web platforms with many different, unique SEO & PPC tools that provide you with detailed analyses via downloadable reports.
June 28, 2017
We used SpyFu for competitive research for any campaign involving paid advertising. It was a great tool to get a basic understanding of what the competition was doing, and how to start to build your strategy.
  • Spyfu provides a very detailed snapshot of ad history for any competitor.
  • The competitor discovery ability is great.
  • Some of the graphs used to present data help to identify targets of opportunity.
  • The backlink tool provides some pretty off topic links.
  • The database doesn't seem to be as effective as others.
Great tool for someone learning how to navigate keyword research. As for all in one platforms, it's one of the best.
March 19, 2014
Chris Romero | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is currently being used by the Online Marketing Division to restructure PPC accounts, audit competition, create strategies for organic and paid search initiatives and generate leads. We also use SpyFu for independent consulting along with a few other tools. Spy Fu's interface is fantastic and their growing catalog of advantages continues to meet my teams needs as we grow our current accounts and look for new opportunities.
  • The Organic SEO dashboard provides insight into how your site is doing in search across all variables and suggests competitors to keep an eye on. I use the SEO dashboard to bring to attention what clients should focus their efforts on. The low hanging fruit that SpyFu brings to light is a breath of fresh air.
  • The Kombat Tool in Spyfu is worth the price of admission as it helps me view keywords and ad copy that competitors use to get the best bang for their buck. By viewing what ad copy competition has been using for the longest along with what keywords they keep high bids on is a great launching point for any new adwords campaign
  • When taking over Adwords or SEO accounts, failed vendors get bitter. Being able to download all Adwords and organic keywords allows you to focus on pushing the plan forward..
  • Cover Binga nd Yahoo PPC
  • Cover Ad networks (Display Placements!) like Ad GooRoo or Ad Spy and other such services
  • Allow users to host a white label SpyFu dashboard on their domain using API or some such technique
  • Give users a place to edit Adwords campaigns right in SpyFU!
New Niches are someties hard to find data on. Also the interface is so robust that it would be nice to guide users into which part of the site they should be utilizing...
Read Chris Romero's full review

Keyword analysis (36)
Backlink management (27)
6.3
SERP ranking tracking (29)
Page grader (20)
5.6
Competitive analysis (35)
Site audit / diagnostics (23)
Site recommendations (20)
Mobile SEO (22)
6.5
Global SEO (24)
Multi-domain support (19)
Integration with web analytics tools (13)
5.9

What is SpyFu?

SpyFu is the eponymous SEO and PPC research platform from the company in Scottsdale, Arizona focused on "spying" on competitors, or basically using their behaviors to refine your own through keyword and content analysis, and backlink poaching. This positional search engine optimization and paid listings management platform touts the ability to lower costs and raise rankings via a Kombat-oriented approach... basically a cute way of saying "it makes comparisons" of how well your site does in niche keyword areas vis-a-vis rival actors in the same or contiguous marketing space.

Published pricing starts at $79 per month with the Basic plan, for Google, Yahoo & Bing research, 6 years of historical access, unlimited access to SpyFu's tools, but somewhat limited access to leads and domain contacts keyword rank tracking. The $139 Professional plan gives full access to UK data and doubles the rank tracking of keywords from 400 to 800, and provides custom branded (white label) reports and API access. the $999 Agency plan gives team access (10 user logins) and unlimited tracking and reporting capabilities.

SpyFu Video