What is Square Payroll?

Square Payroll is a payroll solution for hourly employees, from Square headquartered in San Francisco, California.

What is Stripe?

Stripe is a payment gateway software solution which supports a range of payment related needs such as subscription management and recurrent billing via Stripe Billing, integration with third party payment services via the Stripe Connect API, assistance starting an Internet business which accepts…

What is Gusto?

Gusto offers payroll, benefits and compliance capabilities. Gusto is scaled for small to mid-sized businesses, and emphasizes an easy to use interface.

Square Payroll Technical Details

Alternatives

What is Square Payroll?

What is Square Payroll's best feature?

Reviewers rate Benefit plan administration highest, with a score of 9.3.

Who uses Square Payroll?

The most common users of Square Payroll are from Small Businesses and the Marketing & Advertising industry.

Basically they seem to have put in the wrong account number according to my bank when they tried to withdraw the payroll taxes and now they are telling me my bank rejected it and it's not their fault yet it is their fault, in my opinion. I feel now they are doing very little to help me except tell me I have to go ahead and figure out how to pay all my taxes. Pathetic. In my experience, they call constantly when they're selling the product and once it's sold you're on your own.
  • Easy to use interface
  • Reports are helpful
  • No customer service department for a failed payroll tax withdrawals
  • Lack of communication when there's a problem. No answers as to why things happen
It's a great amount of trust that a company puts into another company to pay their taxes. Personally, my trust is shaking and I still haven't heard back from a manager and I've been dealing with this all day
September 23, 2021

Phenomenal Payroll Software

Alan Bloxham | TrustRadius Reviewer
Square Payroll is used as the payroll across the organization. It's a simple software that comes at an affordable price. It's ideal for small businesses.
  • Simple to process payroll
  • W2s and 1099s
  • Workers Compensation
  • Square POS system is almost necessary.
When you need to input tips and/or commission from an outside source, it can be time-consuming if you didn't use the square point of sale. Outside of those circumstances, Square Payroll is the best option for a small business.
We implemented Square Payroll last year. Our company got new ownership the year before and the new owner was wanting to make some changes to our HR and Accounting department. Get them more in the 21st century. It allows us to handle our payroll faster and simpler than ever before.
  • Tracking Hours
  • Great Customer Support
  • Taxes, W2s, 1099s are much easier now
  • It's a bit pricey for larger companies at $5 per person paid per month.
  • Has a bit of a learning curve that seems steeper than necessary
  • reports can be confusing at first
I would say that Square Payroll is perfect for companies that don't exceed 100 employees. The multistate payroll system allows for us to be able to handle business with ease when we go do work in Mississippi or Arkansas. The multiple payout options are great for our particular business. We might deal with a multimillion dollar contract one day and a $120 order the next.
I attempted to use Square Payroll for my first employee in my small Massage Therapy company. Set up took over two months and was still unsuccessful. I am leaving this review to warn others like me. I am not the only client voicing these complaints.
  • If you use the appointment booking and point of sale then in theory the integration could make payroll easier.
  • [In my experience] they can cancel your service at any time, without warning or explanation. When they do this your funds are held by them for up to 90 days, at which time they are presumably accruing interest on your money. This could take a small business under very quickly and there is nothing you can do about it.
  • [I believe] getting verified is complex and not customer friendly. Until you are verified you can't talk to payroll customer service, which is paradoxical. Even getting a hold of account services for this purpose is tricky and exceedingly time-consuming, plus they can not answer most questions directly.
  • [I feel] they don't communicate well, closed my account with no notice whatsoever. The only notification I had about the need to verify my account was one easily lost email. Not having responded to this email fast enough created months of stress and difficulty in the setup process, only to find in the end I would need to start from scratch to attempt to sign up again.
  • [In my experience] if they close your account you can never reopen it. You have to start a new account from scratch.
  • [In my experience] they can hold your money and not deposit funds if your account is "under review". This can happen without explanation. No customer service is directly available for this. I was told I had to wait for them to call me.
  • [I believe] they are either lying, or the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing to such an extent that they give a great deal of misinformation.
I would not recommend Square to anyone. The fact that they have not corrected numerous complaints like mine is borderline unethical. [I feel] this is due to the potential consequences of their customer-unfriendly policies, i.e. a business folding because they retain your funds for 90 days or employees quitting because they can't get paid for 2 months.
Sasha Brito | TrustRadius Reviewer
Square is one of the most important leading solutions in our company. Square is currently being used in all sectors of our company, in order to provide us with a general administration of all the payrolls of each of the employees, with detailed information on the taxes applied and the deductions that must be made in each employee. Square is being used in our sector of Marketing, Sales, Finance, Human Resources, IT and other areas.

The main benefits that Square has given us is that it has allowed us to have a much more general and complete control of all the company's payroll, this platform provides us with the administration of the payment of each employee, we can make the payroll through this software and we can make deductions for federal, state and local taxes. Square allows me to track the hours each employee has worked, including overtime, and generates automated reports on the total hours each employee has worked. Undoubtedly, this automation has allowed me to have a much easier payroll administration.

• Automating declared taxes is one of Square's most outstanding features. When a detailed report on the payroll of each employee is generated, the software takes care of automatically applying the taxes previously configured, which means that there is no need to make a manual deduction for each payroll.
  • The Support team has been one of the most impactful things in a positive way. Square has given me pretty efficient user support. When we started to use Square in our Marketing sector, I had several questions about the configuration of payroll, and the support of this platform answered all my questions immediately, in a live chat.
  • Square gives all of my employees and me complete control over time worked, time off, and overtime. Square provides a user panel where a constant monitoring of the work that each employee does is carried out, in order to collect the exact work time and be able to generate the payroll report.
  • Downloading payroll reports is one of Square's biggest problems. This platform works online, and all payroll reports can be viewed online but there is no way to download those reports to export them.
  • Square payments are not automated. When the reports corresponding to each payroll are generated, I must access the Square platform to be able to make the payroll payment manually and that my employees can receive the money in the next few hours in their bank account. This platform does not allow me to schedule payments.
Square is an amazing platform to have total control over the payroll of all the employees of a company or a specific sector. This platform has a very good functionality to collect exact information on how long each employee works, that is one of its most outstanding characteristics, because it monitors work schedules and overtime and generates detailed reports on the work time of each employee. Square does not allow to schedule payments, that is one of the main problems, however, I consider that it is a very good option for small and medium-sized companies that are looking for a way to have more exact administrative control over the working hours of all their employees. It is a software that works in the cloud, so all the work information that is collected will remain safe without any risk of loss.
Square Payroll is my current payroll, accounting, and account management software. Square is used for all my business needs pertaining to finances and recordkeeping. It is used for HR/payroll administration but affects and benefits all employees. It addresses the issues of payroll and recordkeeping for my employees.
  • The convenience of being able to link up Square with your account and have it all in one.
  • The automation of Square and how seamlessly it uploads into the accounts.
  • For the price and what I use it for it's excellent but I think they could expand to have more options for large companies.
  • The platform is relatively simple but I think there is always room for improvement when it comes to being modern and user-friendly.
I really like using Square Payroll and I have no reservations about recommending it to a friend or colleagues. This is a great option for small businesses to be able to have support for financial handlings.
I think they have quick and helpful customer service reps, however, I give them a 9 because I have had to wait on hold for long periods of time before.
Elizabeth Pampalone | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Square Payroll to pay myself a salary (on time every week) and to pay my contractors on time every month. I can do time cards, 1099s, and even expense reimbursements via Square Payroll. Before finding Square Payroll, I was dreading hiring yet another pro and not understanding anything they were doing. Now that I have Square Payroll, I can manage my own payroll and know exactly how it all works!
  • 1099s
  • Takes taxes out automatically
  • Easy to use and setup for newbies
  • none!
I recommend it to all my clients who like to keep their money and payments under their purview. This also allows you to assign roles for others so you can have someone help you manage and run payroll.
JoAnna Cohen | TrustRadius Reviewer
When setting up e-commerce platforms and retail payment platforms, Square payroll is an integral part of the whole package offered by Square that allows me to deploy solutions for small businesses very quickly. We recommend it to our current users of Square POS and online payments users, as well as recommend it as a benefit for users looking for a new payments/online commerce solution. It's low cost and easy to understand, making it a hard to beat solution.
  • 1099 contractor payments are easy, and they provide you with the IRS filing as part of the service.
  • Direct deposit/debit from your already connected account to the employee.
  • Reporting and management features are simple yet inclusive.
  • Low cost compared to alternative solutions.
  • More reporting options online. Downloading export is cumbersome.
  • Speedier deposits. 4 day turn around is a problem sometimes.
  • Improve W-2 process, explanations.
Honestly, I feel that Square payroll is well suited for most sized small to medium businesses. The option to pay both W-2 employees and 1099 contractors is very flexible. At only $5 additional per employee, it scales well. And all of the appropriate forms are filed for you, so there's no need for an expensive accounting firm. One thing that could improve is the explanation of what to expect at the forefront of implementing W-2 employees. Many employers may not understand how the process will affect them money-wise when it comes to paying the taxes, etc. It may scare them off from using a W-2 instead of 1099, which have very different impacts on the employee's tax situation as well.