Squarespace Reviews

Michael Leone | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 28, 2020

Squarespace: website creation made easy

Alternatives Considered

WordPress is great - it has a lot of intuitive features, and has grown over the years. However, it isn't really in the same league as Squarespace when it comes to simplicity. Squarespace allows you to craft beautiful websites quickly with little or not training and/or web creation experience. It's one of the most user-friendly products out there.
Read Michael Leone's full review
Christy Price | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 21, 2020

Squarespace is the Best Choice for Small Business Websites

Alternatives Considered

Squarespace, like Wix and Weebly, is a closed-source platform - meaning that you don't have to deal with the security issues surrounding WordPress. You don't have plugins to update yourself, Squarespace takes care of all that for you. When compared to Wix and Weebly, Squarespace produces more professional-looking websites using their starting templates, is natively mobile responsive, and has built-in onsite SEO. Squarespace is the clear winner.
Read Christy Price's full review
Reagan Baird Edwards | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 17, 2020

Helpful Presets Without Sacrificing Vision

Alternatives Considered

Before switching to Squarespace in 2017, I had tried to build out websites on Weebly, Blogger, Wix, and WordPress. I am in no way well-versed in any any sort of code, but I love having total control of bringing my vision to life. Squarespace is the only website builder that has been able to offer me the ability to achieve exactly what I want without having to start from scratch, without having to learn how to code, and without having to hire anyone else. It’s been the best solution for my business.
Read Reagan Baird Edwards's full review
Bryan Hume | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 28, 2020

Simple & Powerful Website Platform

Alternatives Considered

Although Wix offers front-end page building, its reliability, flexibility, and power do not compare to Squarespace. While both platforms appear simple on the surface, Squarespace goes deeper in terms of functionality and marketing features that our business needs. I also found Squarespace to be smoother in terms of page building without feeling too constrained.
Read Bryan Hume's full review
Robbin Block | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 23, 2019

Designer Look and Feel is Ideal for Creative Businesses

Alternatives Considered

As they say, form follows function. After that, it’s about finding the template that’s the best fit for your brand. If that’s all you need, Weebly will satisfy. You can custom visualize your brand with logo, fonts, colors and more.

For graphic or interior designers, artists or ad agencies, for example, where design is central to what you offer, you’ll want to highlight this capability. In that case, Squarespace has its own set of beautifully designed templates.

With WordPress, you can access hundreds if not thousands of gorgeous templates available for purchase. There are also third party templates available for Weebly and Shopify, which you can purchase separately. Just make sure they’re fully vetted to work properly on the platform.

If you're looking for an ecommerce solution, Shopify or BigCommerce is the way to go.
Read Robbin Block's full review
Andrew Folts | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 15, 2019

Squarespace: the best choice for small businesses and freelancers!

Alternatives Considered

Squarespace doesn't offer as much flexibility as WordPress or Contentful (paired with something like GatsbyJS), but that's perfectly fine for 95% of small businesses. They don't need all the bells and whistles of WordPress and they certainly don't need a fully custom website with a headless CMS.
Read Andrew Folts's full review
Dan Talvi | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 14, 2019

Webpage development that's as easy as it looks in the commercials.

Alternatives Considered

Squarespace and Wix were the two webpage development utilities we trialed when switching from our hosted WordPress template. Both options were upgrades from what we were managing before, with quick, automated pages developed from each. Squarespace ended up being the most user-friendly, which was essential for our organization as many of our volunteers that contribute to updating our site are not tech savvy.
Read Dan Talvi's full review
May 22, 2019

Easy to Use with Some Limitations

Alternatives Considered

Wix was the number one contender against Squarespace when deciding on our website platform, but Wix felt too clunky when it came to formatting pages due to its highly customizable nature. Blogger and WordPress are definitely better as blog sites, which did not address our organizational needs in simply communicating information.
March 12, 2019

Great tool for getting a website up quickly and efficiently

Alternatives Considered

Squarespace is by far the easiest option to use by non-technical staff, so we rely on it when we need to get something to market quickly, with minimal design and development time, in a way that is maintainable by Events and Marketing staff without support from web development staff.
Emily Muhoberac | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 23, 2018

If Squarespace went to high school, they would have won "best all around" as their senior superlative.

Alternatives Considered

I think Squarespace is the best all-around website creation tool for non-technical teams. It has levels of customization that competitors like Wix and Leadpages lack, but isn't as flexible as WordPress. Prior to Squarespace, we built out website on WordPress. Since we weren't a particularly technical team, we ran into a lot of challenges making changes to the site, uploading blogs, and navigating the complex world of third-party plug-ins. WordPress is the industry standard, but I think it's a total waste of time for small teams or entrepreneurs to devote their resources to learning WordPress or paying a freelancer to code them a website on WordPress that they'll have difficulty editing and navigating. Ultimately, Squarespace made the most sense with our skillset and time constraints.
Read Emily Muhoberac's full review
Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

It's hard for me to say how Squarespace stacks up against these other options as I've only recently just begun to look into other options. I selected Squarespace initially due to good marketing on their part to get me to look at them first, and also because we initially only started with one product and the Squarespace platform was perfect for that. The cost was relatively inexpensive and the feature set was perfect for that kind of business. Now that we have grown and expanded I'm not sure if Squarespace is still the best platform for us. I have yet to do enough evaluating of other platforms though to make a thorough comparison.
Read Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician's full review
Alicia Kramer | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 18, 2019

Squarespace plays game of Customer Keep-Away!

Alternatives Considered

Squarespace had a very professional profile. They advertise on our local NPR station so I felt their values were similar in a way Their templates at-a-glance seemed user-friendly. Their marketing states that customer service is 24/7 with under an hour response time. All of this made for our decision to use them.

I am not happy with our choice not only from the customer care perspective as I have mentioned (a lot) but also in the process of setting up our website. It was challenging and with no real help from them, it took much longer than expected. I am very surprised at how unprofessional their response time is. I would be in deep trouble if my site included an online store when I need help.
Read Alicia Kramer's full review
Nathan Meehan | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 30, 2018

Squarespace: Making the Novice Look Professional

Alternatives Considered

The only competitor that I have used instead of Squarespace is GoDaddy (Hosting), Microsoft Exchange (EMail), and Wordpress (Design). Godaddy provided good customer service, but I found their system dated and unreliable. Squarespace's integration with G-suite is great; my Exchange platform was unreliable. Wordpress was also complex, and Squarespace was simpler. For a less experienced user, Squarespace was the way to go.
Read Nathan Meehan's full review
Jacqueline DeCapua | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 23, 2018

Great Software to Create Beautiful Websites

Alternatives Considered

I loved how customizable Wix was, and I used it for my online portfolio in college. It is setup similarly to PowerPoint where you can click and drag things where you want. However, I went with Squarespace because their layouts were more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion, and because the ability to create cohesive page designs was a little easier.
Read Jacqueline DeCapua's full review
Sean Pomory | TrustRadius Reviewer

The Best E-commerce CMS/SAAS for Small Businesses

Alternatives Considered

Again, Squarespace is the best option for small businesses seeking an e-commerce solution. If you need more robust features, look to Drupal or WordPress, depending on site size. Weebly or Wix are solid options for basic sites, but I personally have had significant issues with the WYSIWYG editor. Shopify and WooCommerce make solid platforms as well, and may be good options if you need direct integrations. For example, Shopify integrates directly with HubSpot and WooCommerce with WordPress.
Read Sean Pomory's full review
Dave Becker | TrustRadius Reviewer

Easy Website Creation For Anyone

Alternatives Considered

We use Shopify for a retail venture we are trying and I find it more difficult to use than SquareSpace. The features are more complicated and require more knowledge than simply typing what you want and publishing it. Squarespace is more intuitive and is easier and faster to train new admins on.
Read Dave Becker's full review
Faith Barker | TrustRadius Reviewer

Love Squarespace!

Alternatives Considered

So much more functionality than Wix, Weebly, and Unbounce. It is so easy to make small customizations that simply are not possible with the former. WordPress does provide endless possibilities to customize the page–beyond what Squarespace offers. However, I am not skilled in web design enough to take advantage of WordPress and utilize it to its full potential without a developer.
Read Faith Barker's full review
January 18, 2019

Excellent, easy-to-learn tool for beautiful basic sites

Alternatives Considered

I prefer Squarespace since they have already included many of the features that I had to use plugins for when designing with WordPress. Squarespace's many tools integrate seamlessly with the rest of the site's features, compared with a frustrating battle with my WordPress site's many incompatible plugins. Squarespace allows you to select any element that you're working on and immediately see all the settings that are affecting it, vs. going on a goose chase with WordPress to figure out what of the many many settings are causing a problem with the site.

Role-based user permissions (42)
API (28)
Internationalization / multi-language (21)
WYSIWYG editor (54)
Code quality / cleanliness (49)
Admin section (64)
Page templates (65)
Library of website themes (63)
Mobile optimization / responsive design (61)
Publishing workflow (55)
Form generator (49)
Content taxonomy (48)
SEO support (53)
Bulk management (26)
6.2
Availability / breadth of extensions (39)
6.4
Community / comment management (42)

About Squarespace

Squarespace is a CMS platform that allows users to create a DIY blog, eCommerce store, and/or portfolio (visual art or music). Their templates are designed to be elegant and give users maximum control over the look & feel of the website. Some Squarespace templates are industry or use case-specific, such as menu builders for restaurant sites.

Squarespace allows eCommerce users to customize not only elements like themes and fonts, but also structural elements like online store layout. Templates are optimized for mobile shopping. SEO, product galleries, and order management features are built in. Squarespace integrates with Stripe for credit card payments, and ShipStation for shipping.

Squarespace Technical Details