Score 8.3 out of 10
Starting at $12 per month
View Pricing

What is Squarespace?

Squarespace is a CMS platform that allows users to create a DIY blog, eCommerce store, and/or portfolio (visual art or music). Some Squarespace website and shop templates are industry or use case-specific, such as menu builders for restaurant sites.

• Page templates (85)
  • Mobile optimization / responsive design (81)
  • Admin section (84)
  • Library of website themes (83)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Squarespace, and make your voice heard!

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.squarespace.com/pricing

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $12 per month

Product Demos

About Squarespace Version 7.1 | Squarespace Tutorial
03:12

Features

Security

This component helps a company minimize the security risks by controlling access to the software and its data, and encouraging best practices among users.

8.6Avg 8.0

Platform & Infrastructure

Features related to platform-wide settings and structure, such as permissions, languages, integrations, customizations, etc.

7.7Avg 7.7

Web Content Creation

Features that support the creation of website content.

8.5Avg 7.6

Web Content Management

Features for managing website content

8Avg 7.4

What is Squarespace?

Squarespace is a CMS platform that allows users to create a DIY blog, eCommerce store, and/or portfolio (visual art or music). Their templates are designed to be elegant and give users maximum control over the look & feel of the website. Some Squarespace templates are industry or use case-specific, such as menu builders for restaurant sites.

Squarespace allows eCommerce users to customize not only elements like themes and fonts, but also structural elements like online store layout. Templates are optimized for mobile shopping. SEO, product galleries, and order management features are built in. Squarespace integrates with Stripe for credit card payments, and ShipStation for shipping.

Squarespace Video

About Squarespace Version 7.1 | Squarespace Tutorial

Squarespace Technical Details

Squarespace starts at $12.

Reviewers rate Page templates highest, with a score of 8.9.

The most common users of Squarespace are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Andy Ryan | TrustRadius Reviewer
I would choose Squarespace over all the competition unless I wanted a website builder/host that had an online course portal. Squarespace has the easiest website builder. It's relatively cheap. It automatically updates. It is easy to integrate with third-party services such as Google email. I would recommend it over WordPress or Wix because I personally like the interface and templates better.
Squarespace is by far the easiest option to use by non-technical staff, so we rely on it when we need to get something to market quickly, with minimal design and development time, in a way that is maintainable by Events and Marketing staff without support from web development staff.
Lisa Cooley | TrustRadius Reviewer
Both of my fields are visual, so design is as important as functionality. Unbounce looks great, but it's not set up for the same full functionality. I've also been quite familiar with Squarespace and felt comfortable with them.
I found it easier for me to use square space myself rather than have a middle person between me and my website. It was a lot easier for me to access and change something and when I wanted to change something on my site. It gave me flexibility and more options to utilize my creativity as well.
Squarespace's most attractive feature in comparison to WordPress and Wix is its library of themes available to use. WordPress has a neverending supply of options but that's WordPress, the industry-standard however the limited options for Squarespace is nice so you aren't needing to search for ages to find something you love. Wix's WYSIWYG builder is more user-friendly for novices and people who just want to change something on the fly.
Darcy Knapp, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
Squarespace offers better SEO options and ease of use than Wix/Weebly site builders. Squarespace is easy to manage and easy to track inventory and sales. For companies with lower skill sets in-house, it is also very easy to train staff to manage the platform.
I liked the usability of Squarespace better than Network Solutions for the type of website we were looking for. I found it was easier to create and customize and I liked the overall look of the website in Squarespace better than what the end result of the Network Solutions site ended up being.
Myself and my team have used more robust web development platforms for bigger organization presence on the web. However that has always required more time, effort and talent by using web developers to setup and add content to the sites. With squarespace, a site can be setup in less than an hour and any of our team members can keep working on the sites throughout the course of our project to keep it updated. The platform is much easier to use and its very user friendly.
Squarespace is the best option relative to other web hosting and design platforms we initially reviewed. It was a bit more expensive than some of the free models we looked at but those sites often came with hidden fees if we wanted to customize anything and Squarespace has continued to serve us well over the years without any server or downtime issues and with some nice customization features to make the site truly our own as our company has grown and developed.
I actually ended up going with WordPress's OShine theme. Squarespace just missed some of the SEO and API tracking that I wanted and Elementor was too slow and WP Rocket isn't compatible with it. OShine ended up fitting the bill so everything I wanted could work together, but Squarespace was amazing at how simple it was to use.
Jared Jacobson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Squarespace is easier to use. In addition, Squarespace costs less to maintain. The site looks more professional and clean looking. The multilingual website tool helps to translate the content of the website from English to another language. I also liked all the resources that came with the product so that I was able to get up and running quickly.
Michael Chow | TrustRadius Reviewer
Overall, as a designer, it makes perfect sense for small to large businesses to use a site such as SquareSpace. Costs are relatively reasonable with the ability to go in and do custom code.

The issue is certain aspects of it, depending on the plan, you can't do. So, if you want to do API to the site, you need to use the top-tier program to do so. Even at custom code, you won't have access to the API section.

As well, like all templates and themes, everybody is using the same style too.
Don Stone | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Squarespace to create small to medium informational websites for clients that want an easy-to-maintain site. Most sites we design use WordPress due to its extreme flexibility and countless templates and plug-ins. While we have used Wix and Shopify to create sites, we generally will not use these platforms unless requested by our clients.
Courtney Birnbaum | TrustRadius Reviewer
Each website or webstore backend that I've used has different purposes, so do not let me mislead you. Squarespace provides the best balance of website, blog and storefront for my purposes, and outright beats Weebly for a better appearance in your final product. Tumblr and WordPress have social connections that many bloggers can't do without — the integration into the larger platforms allow a different audience to connect than Squarespace does, but at the cost of customization options and robust marketing tools that Squarespace offers. Shopify is my preferred large store manager, but Squarespace does the job very well for smaller stores like my current setup, and includes website hosting and so many more pages than my Shopify option would. I work regularly with SIDEARM Sports on the front end and back end of their athletics websites, and they create so many excellent websites with highly customizable looks and features, but their role is for building specific types of websites and come at a much higher price than Squarespace because of their full team support. It is probably not fair to compare them because of their differences, but I will mention that Squarespace has simple, pretty backend navigation comparatively.
Josh Summerhays | TrustRadius Reviewer
WordPress is great for customization and extensibility but is much more of a hassle to maintain and secure. We opted for Squarespace to simplify all of those management aspects while upgrading our design. We never had much interest in going the ad network route with our blog, preferring to create pleasant, unobtrusive blog content that would drive people to our products. Squarespace has been great for that.
Squarespace has the simplest and most elegant WYSIWYG editor among these competitors. It's simple to understand the components and to move the elements around in a way that will look visually appealing - it's hard to make a Squarespace website look truly bad. WordPress is endlessly customizable, which is both its strength and weakness. It takes a lot longer to put up a simple WordPress website and involves a lot more frustration than it does to launch a simple Squarespace site. If you have content and are familiar with the editor, you can launch a basic Squarespace site that looks nice start to finish in about two hours.
Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's hard for me to say how Squarespace stacks up against these other options as I've only recently just begun to look into other options. I selected Squarespace initially due to good marketing on their part to get me to look at them first, and also because we initially only started with one product and the Squarespace platform was perfect for that. The cost was relatively inexpensive and the feature set was perfect for that kind of business. Now that we have grown and expanded I'm not sure if Squarespace is still the best platform for us. I have yet to do enough evaluating of other platforms though to make a thorough comparison.
WordPress is great - it has a lot of intuitive features, and has grown over the years. However, it isn't really in the same league as Squarespace when it comes to simplicity. Squarespace allows you to craft beautiful websites quickly with little or not training and/or web creation experience. It's one of the most user-friendly products out there.