Sterling Talent Solutions in New York offers a suite of recruiting services and products, including criminal background checks and other verification and employee auditing tools. TalentWise and that company's offerings were merged into Sterling's in early 2016.Sterling isn't so sterling! Lots of room for significant improvementSterling is currently used as our background check provider and also facilitates our onboarding paperwork. The system is integrated with our ATS so we are able to transition applicants from the candidate stage, to the background stage and then the onboarding stage relatively seamlessly. There are just four users, all within the HR function.,Criminal County and Federal searches are typically completed in a timely manner The user interface is straightforward and easy to navigate The ability to have new hires complete onboarding paperwork is excellent,The majority of the customer facing operations are based in India. This has perpetuated communication issues on my behalf as well as on the behalf of candidates who are going through the background check process. I often get complaints from candidates that they are concerned about supplying information to individuals in other countries which is understandable in light of the scams that exist today. I believe it also impacts the ability to get employment verifications completed in a timely manner. Employment verifications are slow and often we cancel them and complete the verification on our own. As mentioned, I think part of this issue is that when they reach out for verifications, previous employees are hesitant to call back. When Sterling is not able to get a verification, they then ask for tax documents which is invasive and unnecessary. When this happens, I am typically able to make a phone call myself and accomplish in 10 minutes what they could not in 5 days. Prior to Sterling purchasing Talentwise, my initial provider, this was never an issue. Sterling provides rapid drug screening service, which we take advantage of and appreciate. However, often candidates show up at a lab to complete testing and the facility does not offer rapid testing. Sterling could do a much better job of sending candidates to a facility that can provide the service. There is a severe lack of personalized customer service. I have no relationship with my dedicated "business relationship executive team" in India. They are simply individuals who I don't know by name that pick up the phone, practically read from a script when I call with a problem, and put me on hold for 5 minutes at a time trying to find an answer to something they don't know. Again, this is something I significantly miss about Talentwise.,1,Using a background check provider that also offers onboarding has saved our company about $2000 a year Overall the system has caused us to spend more time managing problems with background check issues than our previous provider. Often applicants do not have a positive interaction with Sterling which negatively reflects on my company.,HireRight,Compas,4,Background checks Onboarding paperwork,1
Sterling Talent Solutions

Sterling Talent Solutions Reviews

Sterling Talent Solutions
Filter 2 vetted Sterling Talent Solutions reviews and ratings
Rebecca Boschert profile photo
March 26, 2018

Sterling Talent Solutions Review: "Sterling isn't so sterling! Lots of room for significant improvement"

• Criminal County and Federal searches are typically completed in a timely manner
  • The user interface is straightforward and easy to navigate
  • The ability to have new hires complete onboarding paperwork is excellent
  • The majority of the customer facing operations are based in India. This has perpetuated communication issues on my behalf as well as on the behalf of candidates who are going through the background check process. I often get complaints from candidates that they are concerned about supplying information to individuals in other countries which is understandable in light of the scams that exist today. I believe it also impacts the ability to get employment verifications completed in a timely manner.
  • Employment verifications are slow and often we cancel them and complete the verification on our own. As mentioned, I think part of this issue is that when they reach out for verifications, previous employees are hesitant to call back. When Sterling is not able to get a verification, they then ask for tax documents which is invasive and unnecessary. When this happens, I am typically able to make a phone call myself and accomplish in 10 minutes what they could not in 5 days. Prior to Sterling purchasing Talentwise, my initial provider, this was never an issue.
  • Sterling provides rapid drug screening service, which we take advantage of and appreciate. However, often candidates show up at a lab to complete testing and the facility does not offer rapid testing. Sterling could do a much better job of sending candidates to a facility that can provide the service.
  • There is a severe lack of personalized customer service. I have no relationship with my dedicated "business relationship executive team" in India. They are simply individuals who I don't know by name that pick up the phone, practically read from a script when I call with a problem, and put me on hold for 5 minutes at a time trying to find an answer to something they don't know. Again, this is something I significantly miss about Talentwise.
If a company is seeking a quick criminal background check or only does occasional searches, Sterling is fine. If a company has a need for more frequent, in depth checks, Sterling will disappoint. Background check companies exist to take the onus off employers who have many other focuses. I spend way too much time solving problems that occur because Sterling is not getting the job done. We are in the process of seeking a new provider.
Read Rebecca Boschert's full review

Sterling Talent Solutions Scorecard Summary

Duplicate Candidate Prevention (1)
Email Templates (1)
User Permissions (1)
Notifications and Alerts (1)
Reporting (1)