Sterling Talent Solutions Reviews

Lavanya Reddy | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 07, 2020

Sterling Talent Solutions Background Check Review

Sterling Talent Solutions is used by our company to perform the background check for the candidates. It is automatically integrated into the Oracle Taleo application to get the candidate information automatically after the offer is given to the candidate.
  • Background checks
  • It provides us the safer hiring decisions with comprehensive background and identity checks.
  • Delay in response
  • Time taken to perform the background checks.
  • Well suited:
  • Where the organization has a larger number of hires expected, and the background needs to be thoroughly checked.
  • They perform the educational background check for other countries as well.
  • Well suited when Comprehensive drug screening, background checks, criminal checks are required.
  • Less Suited:
  • When the hire or recruiting cap is very low for a company.

Read Lavanya Reddy's full review
May 05, 2020

Sterling Solution does the job

With every new hire, we run their background check through Sterling Talent Solutions no matter what department they will be in. The initiation is easy and Sterling takes it from there to run the background check and communicate with the new candidate.
  • The initiation of a background check is very simple by only needing the name and email of the new candidate and submitting that as the new ticket.
  • Sterling communicates with the new candidate to keep the background check moving which saves us time by not needing to keep a close eye on the process of the background check.
  • Sterling communicates with the employer to let them know if additional charges are needed to run the background check and we can either approve or deny the charge.
  • We have had to reach out multiple times to decrease the maximum we are willing to spend if past employers are using a third party to run the background check and it cost an additional amount to run the background. We have had to communicate back a forth multiple times to lower it to a more reasonable price.
Sterling does do a great job of running and completing the background checks. The only downfall would be the additional charge limit that has been complicated to figure out with Sterling.
Rebecca Boschert | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 26, 2018

Sterling isn't so sterling! Lots of room for significant improvement

Sterling is currently used as our background check provider and also facilitates our onboarding paperwork. The system is integrated with our ATS so we are able to transition applicants from the candidate stage, to the background stage and then the onboarding stage relatively seamlessly. There are just four users, all within the HR function.
  • Criminal County and Federal searches are typically completed in a timely manner
  • The user interface is straightforward and easy to navigate
  • The ability to have new hires complete onboarding paperwork is excellent
  • The majority of the customer facing operations are based in India. This has perpetuated communication issues on my behalf as well as on the behalf of candidates who are going through the background check process. I often get complaints from candidates that they are concerned about supplying information to individuals in other countries which is understandable in light of the scams that exist today. I believe it also impacts the ability to get employment verifications completed in a timely manner.
  • Employment verifications are slow and often we cancel them and complete the verification on our own. As mentioned, I think part of this issue is that when they reach out for verifications, previous employees are hesitant to call back. When Sterling is not able to get a verification, they then ask for tax documents which is invasive and unnecessary. When this happens, I am typically able to make a phone call myself and accomplish in 10 minutes what they could not in 5 days. Prior to Sterling purchasing Talentwise, my initial provider, this was never an issue.
  • Sterling provides rapid drug screening service, which we take advantage of and appreciate. However, often candidates show up at a lab to complete testing and the facility does not offer rapid testing. Sterling could do a much better job of sending candidates to a facility that can provide the service.
  • There is a severe lack of personalized customer service. I have no relationship with my dedicated "business relationship executive team" in India. They are simply individuals who I don't know by name that pick up the phone, practically read from a script when I call with a problem, and put me on hold for 5 minutes at a time trying to find an answer to something they don't know. Again, this is something I significantly miss about Talentwise.
If a company is seeking a quick criminal background check or only does occasional searches, Sterling is fine. If a company has a need for more frequent, in depth checks, Sterling will disappoint. Background check companies exist to take the onus off employers who have many other focuses. I spend way too much time solving problems that occur because Sterling is not getting the job done. We are in the process of seeking a new provider.
Read Rebecca Boschert's full review

About Sterling Talent Solutions

Sterling Talent Solutions in New York offers a suite of recruiting services and products, including criminal background checks and other verification and employee auditing tools.

TalentWise and that company's offerings were merged into Sterling's in early 2016.