Sublime Text is a highly customizable text editing solution featuring advanced API, Goto functions, and other features, from Sublime HQ in Sydney.Superior Search Capabilities and Rapid File SwitchingI use Sublime Text for software development as well as quickly searching the filesystem, finding particular information I'm looking for and performing batch operations on files. The business problem it addresses is being a useful tool that can supplement my primary software development in the preferred platform for the project I'm working on. For instance, when I'm using Android Studio to develop Android apps, or Xcode to develop iOS apps, I often have Sublime Text open as well for its superior search capabilities and overall ease of use. I may use Android Studio or Xcode much of the time, but I find myself regularly switching to Sublime Text for features like Find & Replace.,Great for web development. This is where Sublime really shines, although it supports so many other languages that it can be used for just about anything. Great plugins with things like Git integration. Customization for your preferred workflow. Amazing Find & Replace and search capabilities. With the use of plugins, you can streamline development to put common tasks on macros and really cut down on repetitive tasks.,Sublime Text is not my first choice for Java development simply because it is so lightweight, and there are more robust, full-featured Java IDEs out there like NetBeans and Eclipse. Sublime Text is also not my go-to for a standalone IDE for most projects. I might use it as a standalone for a web project, but overall I prefer to use Sublime Text as a supplement to another more full-featured IDE.,10,Sublime Text has helped me to focus on specific tasks, cutting out the clutter that many other IDEs have. As such, it has helped me be a more productive employee because I don't get dazed by hundreds of buttons. I can focus on just the code. Sublime Text is so affordable that it's a no-brainer to have an extra tool in your toolset. The Search features of Sublime Text are so useful that it has saved me a great amount of time compared to using Find & Replace menus in Xcode, Android Studio, or Eclipse.,Eclipse, NetBeans, Atom, GNU Emacs, Komodo Edit, Komodo IDE and UltraEdit,Atom, EclipseThe best code editorCurrently, it is being used by the Development team to quickly edit source code and work on it. Sometimes we work with small projects or we need to handle huge temporary files and we use Sublime Text because it offers great performance. Also, it doesn't need to create a project and do a big initial configuration to start to work, just open the app and start working. It solves the problem of working fast on small projects and handling big files.,Since it's coded in C++ it opens super fast! Also, it handles big files without any problem and without overloading the machine. Sublime Text allows me to work with multiple languages in a single window. I can have a different configuration for each tab, so it's a great tool to work with for multi-language projects. It offers a great search tool which is fast, simple to use, and really helpful. It has shortcuts for everything. You can work with just the keyboard. There's no need for a mouse because you can do everything from shortcuts. It's very customizable. You can edit a theme, fonts, colors, etc. You can just download configuration files or themes and improve the appearance of the editor.,License price and slow development. It has a single console where all output is displayed. Sometimes this is messy when you have multiple plugins installed and all of them throw info into the console. Some add-ons do not offer good documentation. You install them and you don't know where to configure it or start it. There's no UI for the config settings, you have to edit the configuration files. If you brake it, the editor won't work.,10,It has improved production a lot. Programmers are able to code faster and solve many things thanks to this application. The only negative impact is the initial learning curve. It's hard to learn the shortcuts and start to work with it.,Atom, Komodo Edit, Notepad++ and Microsoft Visual Studio Code,Microsoft Visual Studio Code, PhpStorm, Atom, Notepad++,3,,Edit fragment of code really fast Edit big SQL files or big text files,10,Yes,Price Product Features Product Reputation Third-party Reviews,I think I would do the same tests. Maybe retry it with modern code because technologies have changed a lot since I started to use Sublime Text.,10,No,My boss bought me the license by mistake. It was with his name but my email. I wrote them to change the licensee's name and they agreed without asking a bunch of questions.,Replacing multiple code sections at the same time without using the mouse is really easy. It's elegant to navigate through the source code with only shortcuts. It's easy to search and install new add-ons from the dialog menu.,Sometimes search becomes hard to use on complex or big projects. It can include some undesired files and throw more results than needed. Configure projects: there's no UI for it and you'll need to edit configuration files to do it. Debug! This editor is not debugging friendly at all. It has poor support.,No,8Sublime Text is my daily driver for developmentI cannot recommend Sublime Text enough. As a user of Sublime Text 2 and 3 since its release, Sublime Text is my daily driver for software development. From simple notes and todo.txt usage to PHP and web development to Python and Lua, I use Sublime for almost all of my coding needs. The exceptions, of course, are languages like C# and whenever I'm working with libraries, like Unity or Mono. Overall, though, I'm so satisfied with Sublime that I have convinced others to switch and stay with Sublime simply because of my satisfaction with it on the whole.,Gets out of your way! This is probably the biggest advantage to Sublime over pseudo-IDEs like VS Code, or full-blown IDEs like PHPStorm. Sublime Text is by-and-large a text editor with bells and whistles, but that's what makes it so easy and nice to use. I'm never fighting with Sublime to do things my way. There is an endless supply of plugins, and building your own is simple enough that a novice Python developer could do it. Its code indexing is able to correlate methods and classes that programs like VS Code and Atom fail to do.,It is, at its core, a glorified text editor. That means it doesn't provide a lot of things that IDEs do when developing code, like quality intellisense, code completion, or debugging. Whereas there IS an endless supply of plugins, many of them have been abandoned, forked and abandoned on GitHub, or just never quite work right. That being said, once you parse through the plugins that are out there, you can find plenty that do a fantastic job.,10,Sublime has become our daily code editor. As new employees join the company, they find it easy to pick up Sublime, which means we've been able to reduce onboarding costs in terms of acclimating new members to our team's development processes. The fact that Sublime has a flat, one-time fee means we don't have to worry about future licensing, with the exception of major software releases.,Notepad++, PhpStorm, PyCharm, Microsoft Visual Studio Code and Atom,Notepad++, Slack, Oracle VM VirtualBoxPerfect for Editing Text and Small-Scale Code ProjectsSublime Text is used on an individual basis as a text editor: I use it at my current organization, and have used it as my text-editor of choice in prior roles for many years. It is not linked to any organizational structure, but is instead my -- and many colleagues' -- preferred text editor. It is simple, easy to use, customizable, and perfect for editing text and a number of different programming languages. It can function as a personal notepad or scratch pad, or to markup text or write code. It is perfect for organizing task lists, writing documentation (markdown makes it easy to export to Git or Gitlab or Pycharm), and has extensive language support (including Python, C++, Javascript).,Customization: key binding, macros, and visualizations/layout are all readily and easily customized to user preferences. Support: Sublime offers a ton of internal/in-house support, and has a devoted community of users who are able to answer questions on basically any feature or functionality. This makes custom implementation straightforward. Language support: Sublime works with a tremendous number of languages, including C#, C++, Clojure, CSS, JavaScript, HTML, LaTeX, Markdown, R, Python, etc. It does require a compiler to actually compile / run code, though.,Spartan: Sublime is a straight-up text editor, without any fancy bells or whistles. It's highly customizable and has a lot of complementary packages to support where just text-editing falls short. If you're looking for a full IDE, you would likely be happier with something like Pycharm.,10,Positives: helped organize small-scale projects, individual notes, individual projects Positives: Git integration helps ease the transition / collaboration between contributing workers Neutral: if you're using Sublime for coding, you will also need another compiler to execute and run code.,Atom and Notepad++,Slack, OneDrive, Google Data Studio,Customization is straightforward (color schemes, integrations) Text layout and editing for many languages is easy / elegant within the Sublime interface,9My Favorite Code EditorSublime Text is my go-to text editor when using any type of code. When I am building anything for my organization, it starts in Sublime and gets copied into Drupal. Other co-workers have seen my workflow and are always asking what text editor that I use. From the easy color coding, the code hints and just the ease of use, Sublime Text will save you so much time!,Color Coding: Every element in your code is color coded. Did you miss a semi-colon? Forget a bracket? The code will not color correctly until the correct syntax is used. This makes it very easy to debug your code if you ever run into a problem. Code Hints: As soon as you dive into Sublime and start writing code, hints will start popping up when you begin typing. This speeds the process of writing anything as you can quickly tab through the correct response, saving you typing time. Language support: Sublime has almost, if not every, coding language built in. All syntax can be color-coded to your preference! Different views: You can have as many windows side by side within Sublime. When building a website you can have your HTML on the left and CSS on the right for easy reference.,The only thing that I would like to see from Sublime is a monthly/weekly newsletter with a tutorial. There is so much you can do with Sublime. I know that I am not using it to the fullest and I know I could speed my workflow even more. Too many features? I honestly have not had an issue using this product and have been using it since college.,10,It's a free product with the option to donate. It's fast and easy to use. Without much knowledge of the editor, anyone can jump in and start coding. Works across Windows/OSX. No matter what you have, it will open any coding language and work smoothly without messing with the settings.,Brackets,Webex Meetings, Adobe Acrobat DC
Sublime Text

Sublime Text Reviews

Sublime Text
Filter 50 vetted Sublime Text reviews and ratings

Jonah Dempcy profile photo
February 01, 2019

Sublime Text Review: "Superior Search Capabilities and Rapid File Switching"

• Great for web development. This is where Sublime really shines, although it supports so many other languages that it can be used for just about anything.
  • Great plugins with things like Git integration. Customization for your preferred workflow.
  • Amazing Find & Replace and search capabilities.
  • With the use of plugins, you can streamline development to put common tasks on macros and really cut down on repetitive tasks.
  • Sublime Text is not my first choice for Java development simply because it is so lightweight, and there are more robust, full-featured Java IDEs out there like NetBeans and Eclipse.
  • Sublime Text is also not my go-to for a standalone IDE for most projects. I might use it as a standalone for a web project, but overall I prefer to use Sublime Text as a supplement to another more full-featured IDE.
Sublime Text is excellent for when you want a lightweight, extremely fast, snappy, and simple text editor that still has enough features that you can achieve more complex software development tasks. It is not well-suited for a full IDE ecosystem like you find with NetBeans or Eclipse. It is also not suited for Android or iOS development on its own. You'll want to use Android Studio or Xcode, and use Sublime Text as a supplement to these bigger platforms. What's nice about Sublime Text is that it has such a simple user interface that it can help psychologically for focusing on the code. It can eliminate clutter and distraction. It is also so fast that it just feels snappy and not clunky or bloated like many other IDEs.
Read Jonah Dempcy's full review
Miguel Useche profile photo
January 24, 2019

Sublime Text Review: "The best code editor"

It solves the problem of working fast on small projects and handling big files.
  • Since it's coded in C++ it opens super fast! Also, it handles big files without any problem and without overloading the machine.
  • Sublime Text allows me to work with multiple languages in a single window. I can have a different configuration for each tab, so it's a great tool to work with for multi-language projects.
  • It offers a great search tool which is fast, simple to use, and really helpful.
  • It has shortcuts for everything. You can work with just the keyboard. There's no need for a mouse because you can do everything from shortcuts.
  • It's very customizable. You can edit a theme, fonts, colors, etc. You can just download configuration files or themes and improve the appearance of the editor.
  • License price and slow development.
  • It has a single console where all output is displayed. Sometimes this is messy when you have multiple plugins installed and all of them throw info into the console.
  • Some add-ons do not offer good documentation. You install them and you don't know where to configure it or start it.
  • There's no UI for the config settings, you have to edit the configuration files. If you brake it, the editor won't work.
It's well suited if you want to have a fast editor, you work with multiple operating systems (because the license is shared among them), or you want to centralize configuration in multiple machines and work with multiple programming languages.

I don't recommend it if you are searching for an editor that does many things in a single application. Remember that this is not an IDE.
Read Miguel Useche's full review
Christopher Boyd profile photo
January 01, 2019

Review: "Sublime Text is my daily driver for development"

• Gets out of your way! This is probably the biggest advantage to Sublime over pseudo-IDEs like VS Code, or full-blown IDEs like PHPStorm. Sublime Text is by-and-large a text editor with bells and whistles, but that's what makes it so easy and nice to use. I'm never fighting with Sublime to do things my way.
  • There is an endless supply of plugins, and building your own is simple enough that a novice Python developer could do it.
  • Its code indexing is able to correlate methods and classes that programs like VS Code and Atom fail to do.
  • It is, at its core, a glorified text editor. That means it doesn't provide a lot of things that IDEs do when developing code, like quality intellisense, code completion, or debugging.
  • Whereas there IS an endless supply of plugins, many of them have been abandoned, forked and abandoned on GitHub, or just never quite work right. That being said, once you parse through the plugins that are out there, you can find plenty that do a fantastic job.
For Python, Lua, PHP, web development, text editing, and just needing to open any old file and see its contents, Sublime Text shines. It works in a lot of ways like Notepad++, but it's cross-platform and has a much large array of plugins available.

I would not, however, rely on Sublime if you work with compiled languages, such as C++ or C#. Not having a debugger and a lot of the bells and whistles that come with editors that try to focus on code quality allows for you to end up constantly looking up docs or just writing some very terrible code with Sublime.
Read Christopher Boyd's full review
Leah Jakaitis profile photo
December 17, 2018

Sublime Text Review: "Perfect for Editing Text and Small-Scale Code Projects"

• Customization: key binding, macros, and visualizations/layout are all readily and easily customized to user preferences.
  • Support: Sublime offers a ton of internal/in-house support, and has a devoted community of users who are able to answer questions on basically any feature or functionality. This makes custom implementation straightforward.
  • Language support: Sublime works with a tremendous number of languages, including C#, C++, Clojure, CSS, JavaScript, HTML, LaTeX, Markdown, R, Python, etc. It does require a compiler to actually compile / run code, though.
  • Spartan: Sublime is a straight-up text editor, without any fancy bells or whistles. It's highly customizable and has a lot of complementary packages to support where just text-editing falls short. If you're looking for a full IDE, you would likely be happier with something like Pycharm.
Sublime Text is very well suited for individual use: it is a text editor, extremely flexible, and with extensive customization. Numerous packages exist to help debug code or integrate with Git. It is a straight forward platform for editing text. No extravagant capabilities or interfaces, just straight-up text editing, coding, and organization. It's perfect for organizing informal notes, coding proof-of-concepts, and otherwise managing small-scale tasks. I would not use it for orchestrating an extensive or large collaborative project, but for contained ideas/projects, it's great.
Read Leah Jakaitis's full review
Josh Howe profile photo
April 10, 2019

Sublime Text Review: "My Favorite Code Editor"

• Color Coding: Every element in your code is color coded. Did you miss a semi-colon? Forget a bracket? The code will not color correctly until the correct syntax is used. This makes it very easy to debug your code if you ever run into a problem.
  • Code Hints: As soon as you dive into Sublime and start writing code, hints will start popping up when you begin typing. This speeds the process of writing anything as you can quickly tab through the correct response, saving you typing time.
  • Language support: Sublime has almost, if not every, coding language built in. All syntax can be color-coded to your preference!
  • Different views: You can have as many windows side by side within Sublime. When building a website you can have your HTML on the left and CSS on the right for easy reference.
  • The only thing that I would like to see from Sublime is a monthly/weekly newsletter with a tutorial. There is so much you can do with Sublime. I know that I am not using it to the fullest and I know I could speed my workflow even more.
  • Too many features? I honestly have not had an issue using this product and have been using it since college.
Sublime is suited for any programmer, web designer or student looking to organize their code. It is fast, lightweight and is super versatile. Not to mention it is pretty much free. You will get a popup to remind you to donate to the developer if you have a free version but that is it!
Read Josh Howe's full review
Jacob Rasmussen profile photo
March 26, 2019

Review: "Sublime Text is an amazing tool at no cost!"

Sublime Text is being used across the engineering department and by a few other employees in other departments who interact with our codebase. It is not required to be used by everyone, but most use it because it is one of the best free products out there right now on the market.
  • It is amazing at text highlighting and formatting
  • It is great at editing text quickly with multi line editing and search and replace amongst other advanced features
  • It is great at working with multiple codebases
  • It isn't the greatest at code completion
  • It's a little hard to change your settings
Sublime Text is well suited for the average programmer who is looking for a good text editor to edit code. Sublime is not the greatest for a production level coding environment where multiple stages of checks and pushes are needed to migrate code into production
Read Jacob Rasmussen's full review
Jay R. Newlin profile photo
March 07, 2019

Review: "Sublime Text: One of the best text editors out there!"

Individual developers used Sublime Text as their go-to text editor, usually for writing code in any one of a number of languages/frameworks. It is a flexible tool with a number of add-on packages that allow the user to see/format their code according to company formatting or generally accepted formatting standards.
  • Automatic code formatting/syntax highlighting.
  • Simple user interface.
  • Open an entire project in a side-nav pane.
  • Search for a text snippet in the current file or across the entire project.
  • Language packages are only for formatting/display; they don't include code helps or hints (like an IDE or other text editors).
  • There are many packages available, but finding and installing the right one can be daunting.
  • The Minimap (document map) always looks interesting, but it rarely helps me to find anything.
Sublime Text is a great tool for anyone who wants a GUI text editor, especially those who write code. Sublime Text should have an appropriate package to recognize code from almost every development language out there. Sublime Text is overkill for anyone who needs a straightforward, simple editor for plain text files.
Read Jay R. Newlin's full review
Chris Putnam profile photo
March 04, 2019

Sublime Text Review: "Still a sublime experience - among many rising stars"

Sublime Text is used by many of our team members to edit code, text, and content within files. It adds productivity and efficiency via its built-in features and the wide range of easily installed plugins. It's popularity and community of users also means there is a large amount of information available to learn about new features and solutions for typical text-editing concerns.
  • A large number of built-in features.
  • Good built-in and customizable keyboard shortcuts.
  • Plugin capabilities and library.
  • Customizability.
  • Intuitiveness - there is a learning curve, especially for non-programmers, in order to get the most benefit from it.
  • Innovation - needs continued development & popularity - continues to be very popular, but other editors are rising quickly.
Plain text file editing is the typical use case - most often for programming, but could also be useful for data entry, processing, mass file updates, etc.

It would NOT be useful for editing any more specialized format - for example, Rich Text, Word/Excel Documents, etc.

It's also a GUI only program. Some programmers may prefer a command line editor, especially for text-editing on a headless server - Vim or Emacs are the most common options for CLI.
Read Chris Putnam's full review
Holli Drewry profile photo
January 04, 2019

Sublime Text Review: "Makes coding and web edits Sublime"

Sublime Text is used by many of the web developers and programmers I work with both in my personal business and in my work at Virginia Tech. Sublime Text has many automated features that increase efficiencies and debugging of code. In my experience, developers and programmers tend to select Sublime Text for the features it offers, including the ease in linking to git repositories.
  • Sublime Text offers integrated automation for replacing the same string throughout the code. This feature alone has saved me lots of time.
  • Sublime Text offers integration with git repositories that increase efficiencies and help streamline communication on updates within a team.
  • Sublime Text also serves as a great simple text editor. I keep a window open and use Sublime to edit snippets of text for websites. It is especially useful to quickly strip out word processing tools formatting.
  • Sublime Text has color coding for different HTML tags. This makes it easy to quickly scan the code.
  • While the auto tag balance feature is helpful in some instances, I find it sometimes hurts my flow of work, especially when I am cutting and pasting snippets of content or code.
  • The tabs feature for multiple documents is useful, but it is not as easy to separate the tabs as it is in other tools I have used.
  • File names auto set using the first line of text in your file. I'd like to see that feature set to default to off. I can see it would be useful in some cases but generally, it is not helpful for me.
Sublime Text is well suited for writing code for websites and for programming. Sublime is the favorite tool for most of the developers and programmers I work with because of the features that make coding more efficient. While I have used Sublime for taking notes, it is not as well suited for general text editing.
Read Holli Drewry's full review
Chris Olfers profile photo
December 26, 2018

Sublime Text Review: "Everything you need and nothing you don't"

I use Sublime Text myself and on my team. We deal with writing queries quite frequently for multiple data services and platforms, so a text editor that is free of formatting and autocorrect is very helpful, especially when new analysts are starting at the company, Sublime helps them by being able to organize their thoughts and write successful queries. Once an analyst has mastered the use of our platforms, Sublime serves as a very necessary aid to view and edit files like [.csv] files without corrupting the structure in a way that spreadsheet editors would. I simply don't know of another way to do that, so Sublime is invaluable here.
  • Writing boolean or SQL queries and maintaining proper syntax without formatting headaches
  • editing CSV files without corrupting file structure
  • Reading and understanding TXT files without corrupting file structure
  • Reading and understanding code like PHP or Python by highlighting syntax properly
  • Being organized in a way that makes cataloging past projects easier, a la Evernote
  • Boolean syntax support
  • Predictive syntax support
When new analysts are starting at the company, Sublime helps them by being able to organize their thoughts and write successful queries. It's also very helpful to read files like PHP or Python code where the user isn't familiar -- the syntax structuring helps break apart chunks to analyze. These are the main use-cases, but there are many, many more. I use it to read TXT files, serve as a query repository, and as an eye-saving note taker (the dark scheme is GREAT on the eyes).
Read Chris Olfers's full review
Filip Witkowski profile photo
December 21, 2018

Sublime Text Review: "Light and great for smaller projects"

Sublime Text (version 3) is mostly used for creating and editing custom web projects. For our main product we use Visual Studio IDE and Visual Studio Code for SPA, but for smaller websites with custom code, Sublime text is a better fit, because it's small and light. It has a large community and many useful plugins.
  • Community support. Many coders use Sublime Text and you can easily find answers to your questions.
  • It's light, loads quickly and work fast.
  • You can find packages for almost everything.
  • Package control could be more clear. Also, the installation of package control requires step-by-step instruction.
  • They could add built-in versioning control such as VS code has.
  • Modification and of user settings it's sometimes hard to find and hard to sync settings between different machines.
When you have a simple website with folder structure and want to edit different types of files, Sublime Text is a good tool for that. You can get plugins for code coloring, code generating and suggestions for different types of languages. You can use the built-in console which is called terminal to use CLI.
Read Filip Witkowski's full review
Joshua Henke profile photo
December 19, 2018

Sublime Text Review: "Great for simple or large projects. Easy on the eyes!"

Sublime Text was an individual purchase for me to use. Others at the company surely use it, but I can only speak for myself. Development, organization and management of Javascript, JSON and HTML is my primary use at a simple level. There are features far beyond my current and past needs that look interesting.
  • Intelligent formatting of text, including colors, tabbing, and autocomplete.
  • "Minimap." It's a 10,000 foot view of the entire code in a section of the window that aids quickly finding a section of code in large files (100+ lines).
  • Customization seems good. I added in a plugin several years ago that allows me to highlight a word and cause all other instances of that word to highlight, making it especially easy to find the places a function or method is referenced. This may be standard now.
  • Tabs! May seem insignificant, but I find the use of tabs in Sublime Text to be very useful. They were well-implemented, behaving just like browser tabs. It is possible to shuffle and drag them to other Sublime Text windows as needed.
  • The whole notion of "Find" for text seems difficult to use to me, so I tend not to use it. It may have been improved over the years, but I get along fine without it.
  • Renaming files is a clunky experience. I'd like to be able to rename a file and have Sublime Text realize that change without my having to close the file, rename, then reopen.
Javascript, JSON and HTML are my primary use, and I find Sublime Text to be well suited for small and large projects. Sublime Text has a notion called "projects" I don't use because most of my projects are single-file, but it seems like a great idea that I should probably try to use.
Read Joshua Henke's full review
Charley Allen profile photo
December 17, 2018

Review: "Sublime Text has a ton of great features if you know how to use them"

Our web department uses Sublime Text to write code for the website. It's a great program and is quick to load, so we can make changes fast. Our website is very robust and we receive many requests for special designs and features. Sublime Text helps us meet demands quickly and efficiently.
  • Sublime Text has a great side menu for organizing files. I can quickly see what other files are in my directory so I can keep my information hierarchy clean and efficient.
  • Sublime Text has great built-in tools like Multiple Selections. Multiple Selections allows me to select one variable and change every instance at once instead of searching every line of code.
  • Sublime Text has a fantastic syntax definition tool that automatically creates an index of every class. I can use keyboard shortcuts to work quickly and keep everything organized.
  • Sublime Text doesn't have a print feature. Printing code isn't something I do often, but there are times when that would be very helpful. As of now, I have to copy the code to a text editor and print from there.
  • Sublime Text has a million tools to speed up processes, but no simple way to learn how to use them. An interactive demo or training resource in addition to the documentation would be really nice.
  • Sublime Text changes frequently. Updates and new features are great, but the changelog doesn't always give an in-depth explanation of what was changed and how to use the new features.
Sublime Text is fantastic for writing and editing code. It is by far my favorite program for writing CSS and HTML. However, I know I am not using the program to its full potential because it is difficult to learn how to use the more robust features like finding, running and installing packages to make my work more efficient.
Read Charley Allen's full review
Alex Lada profile photo
December 15, 2018

"Sublime Text reviewed by a Visual Studio and PHP Storm user."

At our company various members of our development team use Sublime Text for various reasons. Some, like myself, use it as their scratch pad of choice, as well as to open single files as opposed to entire directories or projects. Others use it as their principle development environment for PHP, JS, HTML/CSS.
  • Sublime is my go to editor for opening random files while I am working in another editing environment. Sublime very quickly handles large JSON, XML, and other data files without a large memory strain.
  • Sublime has easy to use/install plugins provided by a community of users that help increase coding efficiency.
  • Sublime provides an easy interface for customizing the theme of the editor to tailor to your specific aesthetics.
  • The biggest area of improvement would be a more comprehensive toolset for working within a project. I use other editors when working on a full project for their ease of use navigating around the code base and stepping through in a debugger.
In scenarios where you need a powerful text editor, but not a full IDE, I would highly recommend Sublime Text. In that scenario I give it a 10 for its ease of use, power, and speed.

When you are in need of a full IDE, I have found that Sublime Text falls a little short of some of its competitors. It does not have the same array of features as a PHP Storm or Visual Studio.
Read Alex Lada's full review
Leonardo Hernandez profile photo
December 13, 2018

User Review: "Sublime Text: simple and fast"

We use sublime text as a Non-IDE solution for development, is a powerful text editor worth the money. if you prefer the simplicity of text editors, Sublime Text must be on the top in the list. It's a very very fast text editor without much heavy components or toolbars. Its loading time is less than 1 second. Its Auto-completion feature makes its best in its class, it helps us to write fast and simple scripts for automation
  • Fast
  • Light Weight
  • Themes and Plugin support
  • Customization is little bit difficult.
  • Loading big files on Windows is slow
  • Annoying whitespace management

Sublime Text, while being lighter-weight than an IDE, still supports many IDE features.

• Text from the current file is used to provide autocomplete.
  • Project Support (folder browsing, scoped history, build-system declarations).
  • Refactoring support is emulated through multi-select, project-wide find and replace, and regular expression search.
  • Syntax-aware selection and GoTo for quickly jumping to locations in the project.
  • Snippets and Macros.
  • A Python console for everything else.
Read Leonardo Hernandez's full review
Suleman Ahmad profile photo
February 21, 2019

Sublime Text Review: "Sublime for dummies"

Our company is a software house, so the core work is software development and when we talk about software development, then Sublime is in the few IDEs that first come to mind to use for development.
  • Settings/Preferences feature is the best feature to save the developers time. For example, it makes it easy to exclude unnecessary folders from search, etc.
  • Third party plugins make our work faster.
  • By comparing to visual code, there should be some easy approach to debug the JS/PHP applications.
Especially for those who use the GitHub, plugins for GitHub with Sublime makes the experience wonderful.
Read Suleman Ahmad's full review
December 14, 2018

Sublime Text Review: "An editor built for developers and developers at heart."

In our organization Sublime Text is the officially recommended developer IDE. All developers across our 200+ person team use Sublime Text in one way or another. We use it to ensure a homogeneous developer environment across the organization. Sublime Text was selected to address the needs of our developers as individuals and our IT teams as a support staff. Sublime Text gives our developers a customizable IDE, one that supports team plugins and a variety of languages. It also ensures that IT only needs to support one developer tool regardless of language or situation.
  • Speed. Sublime Text is quick to launch and remains so even when working on 10K line files.
  • Versatility. Sublime Text just works for any programming language you could throw at it.
  • Customizability. There are enough settings and options in Sublime Text to satisfy even the most picky of developers.
  • The wealth of plugins available. There are hundreds of plugins available freely from community resources.
  • The open plugin api. Any individual or team can develop a plugin to fit whatever scenario they could conceive of.
  • Cost. Sublime Text is one of the most cost effective tools regardless of team size, this helps to keep costs per developer low.
  • Sublime Text is a closed source tool. This is unfortunate because it prevents teams from true 100% customization.
  • Lack of support right after install. We often lose a day or two of developer productivity while they get their system just how they want it.
  • Support of full IDE features. Sublime Text is first and foremost a scripting editor, this means it will never truly have support for thing like debuggers as we expect in IDE's.
Sublime Text is well suited for environments where developers have to work with multiple languages, prototype quickly, and do lots of scripting. This is because Sublime Text is able to switch files and languages with speed unprecedented compared to classic IDE's.

Sublime Text is ill-suited for environments where developers already have tools they love and where developers have to work with primarily compiled languages. It's often hard to convince developers to make the switch to a new tool when the ones they currently have already work. Sublime Text also does poorly when working with compiled languages, the support just isn't mature enough yet.
March 21, 2019

Sublime Text Review: "Very intelligent and light weight IDE"

Sublime Text is used as a text editor by my department for various technologies (for example - Python, SQL, R) to edit the code and run using the command prompt. It is mostly used by my department for data science work. We use sublime text for solving various client related problems.
  • Having provided the extension name of the file we are working with, this intelligent tool provides very cool themes coloring the syntax, variables, etc
  • The auto complete feature is also very helpful while coding
  • It is very easy to learn
  • File is very light weight
  • Not very active community
  • Settings are mostly code based and is not easy for beginners
  • No frequent upgrades
For a project requiring multiple technologies like Python, SQL, etc, we can use Sublime Text to code them simultaneosuly.
February 04, 2019

Sublime Text Review: "Great IDE for developing efficient well tested applications"

Sublime Text is used by developers across different teams. It's an excellent tool which gives developers [the ability] to code applications in a programming language they love. It has a package manager which allows for installing plugins which have functionalities like autocomplete and syntax highlighting. It's easy to install and set up is very easy.
  • It has auto-complete functionality which allows developers to code without knowing each and every syntax or method of the particular language they are coding in.
  • It has syntax highlighting which helps developers to code applications allowing sublime text will take care of the syntax.
  • It has code highlighting in case, which helps in code reviews.
  • The pricing for the license is a little bit high as compared to other competitors like Notepad++.
  • It's not that good with big scale projects. I would use it for smaller tasks.
  • Some of the plugins which are shared by the community lack documentation.
It has a plugin manager which allows you to install plugins which are suited for programming languages in which you can code comfortably. It has various themes which you can install easily. It can be used to create small scale applications. It has GitHub plugins which can be linked to your GitHub repository so that the code can be collaborated with by other developers. It has some drawbacks as it doesn't provide seamless integration with GitHub.
December 14, 2018

Review: "Sublime Text Great Text Editor for Code"

Sublime Text is used only in our development department. We use it as preferred text editor for coding, but we do have some programmers who prefer Visual Studio Code. We choose Sublime Text because it is lightweight and has a large community backing it. There are many plugins that you can integrate into the editor so that you can have nice functionality that helps program faster such as intelligent code completion. You can modify the layout, colors, etc so that it suits you and how you like to work.
  • Custom Plugins to support whatever language you want to program with.
  • Super lightweight.
  • Strong community support aids in the growth of support and plethora of plugins that make life easier.
  • In very large files (10k or more lines) some of the plugins cause the editor to freeze when trying to do things like intelligent code completion -- which is expected since it searched the whole file for variables.
Sublime Text is useful for programming without the hassle of a bulky IDE. Unless you need an IDE for something like java programming Sublime Text is a great choice. Sublime Text is not for writing text documents, nor is it good at viewing delimited files. Its main and only purpose is for coding.
December 13, 2018

User Review: "Sublime Text gets the job done."

It's a good, extensible text editor. I don't use it as a primary editor, but often as a scratch pad to do tasks that it does well. Especially the multiline editing, which is great when taking text that isn't very well-formatted, and then morphing it into something that is. Other things it does well are automatically formatting structured text, and working with the syntax of a language.
  • Multiline editing. You haven't lived until you edit multiple lines! Stick your cursor on a word. With a keystroke, you stick your cursor in the same exact spot in every instance of that word in the file, then you can edit away. All of them. At once. Other editors try, but I think Sublime does it best.
  • Plugins. People with more time on their hands than me wrote plugins to make my life easier. One in particular that I like is the "select in quotes" plugin. Similar to doing `vi'` in Vim. I use that along with "replace in selection" a lot to do things like replacing underscores with spaces, and then setting the selection to title case.
  • It's pretty lightweight. Again, not as lightweight as Vim. But it gives a good environment to get things done in without being a huge memory hog.
  • Sometimes if you load up a pretty large file, it can get bogged down and take a while. It's not that big of a deal, because it still makes the edits.
  • I'm not a huge fan of the git integration. I wish it was a little better. I also use JetBrains productions, and I'm a big fan of their git integration.
  • Sometimes I wish that browsing plugins was a little bit more helpful. I feel like it lacks really good descriptions, and I end up installing plugins and then just uninstalling them.
Sublime Text is great for editing text. But thanks to plugins, it's often good at doing many other things, too. Formatting text, etc. I often just use it as a scratch pad to do little tasks in, but it makes those tasks way quicker. My main editor is a full-fledged IDE. I understand many use it for programming, but it is missing some things I like from an IDE.

About Sublime Text