SugarCRM is an open-source CRM system designed for SMBs. The product has about 170,000 paid subscriptions and is growing fast. The product features strong marketing capabilities and is a fully-featured platform for a relatively low cost.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Rn/8n/RQBACLUSAPK1.JPEGSugar is a great, customizable solution - just make sure you have a good tech team behind itWe use SugarCRM as our primary tool in tracking applications, determining eligibility, and managing payments for children in publicly funded preschool programs. Although it was primarily designed as a sales tool, we use it less as for sales (given that we are not a sales organization) and more as a relationship management and accounting tool. We have a very small team (10 people total), but we all use Sugar on a daily basis.,Extremely flexible. Sugar is open source, and so you're able to build customized modules to fit your needs readily and easily. Robust reporting capabilities. I appreciate how it's quick and easy to pull the data that my clients need. Easy to use. Sugar has a fairly straight user interface, and so is usable even by those who are not particularly tech savvy.,More approachable user interface. At its core, it's a complex database, and it's not always intuitive.,9,Sugar is an incredibly cost effective CRM solution. It allows us to reach thousands of children wishing to receive funds for publicly-funded preschool programs quickly and easily and for very little money. You need to have a smart technical team who understands your business model and needs in order to implement SugarCRM successfully. It's customizable nature is both a blessing and a curse. You can do anything with it, but unless you have intelligent folks defining your business requirements, you can easily end up with an unworkable tool.,,UberConference, Slack, DropboxSugarCRM - 10 out of 10We have worked with Sugar for many clients ranging in size from 2 to over 300 CRM Users. Sugar is extremely flexible and cost effective compared to its competitors like Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics. Sugar covers the whole customer life cycle from Lead through Sales and on-going Support and Marketing. It is easy to use and has many features like in-line editing that keep Clicks to a minmum. Most tasks can be one with two or three clicks. Sugar Mobile gives a very strong mobile app to give users complete flexibility whether at their desk or in the field.,Sugar gives full account and contact visibility so any member of the organisation can have a full and accurate view of all related activities, products install, contracts in place and much more. It gives the proverbial One View. Dashboards are one of the strongest parts of Sugar giving each user their own view of the way they can and want to interact with the customer. The dashboards are a key feature in that they are very easy to customize so that each user has a personal view with tasks, data views etc. appropriate to their role. Customizing these dashboards by role is also very easy. No coding is required, it is largely a matter of dragging and dropping fields. Sugar's Forecasting Module makes the forecasting process quick and easy by using the Opportunities already created by the Sales Team. It also provides great individual feedback to the Team regarding YTD & QTD performance against Quota. Sugar Mobile is a very strong mobile app for IOS and Android that is both easy to use and comprehensive. I t can be used both of-line and on-line mode.,With Version 8, there's not much Sugar can't do for us. With Plug-ins for most extra requirements that Sugar doesn't deliver at no/very low cost it's easy to build/deliver what we really need. S,10,Superior customer service, low cost of marketing, low cost of quote/contract management, low cost of ownership with minimal IT overhead Another key metric is time to productivity. The Sugar system is so easy to setup and learn that, provided there are no data issues, the system can be up and running and providing real value within a week. Sugar's ability to build/deploy to both Mobile and Browser directly from Sugar Studio reduces both development and maintenance costs substantially. This contributes to Sugar's extremely low TCO. Sugar Unviversity offers free video training courses for both Technical and End Users to ensure that you get the productivity gains and lower implementation costs that you want from Sugar.,Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics CRM,SAP Business One,,,Full CRM from lead generation to customer support. Clients have the proverbial 360 customer views and manage the entire customer life cycle. Sale Force Automation with full Mobile support. Customer Support and Help Desk Marketing and Lead Generation,Integration with Laboratory Managment Systems and Loyalty Card Systems.,Integration with SAP Business One and other SME ERP Systems.,10,Yes,Price Product Usability Prior Experience with the Product Vendor Reputation Analyst Reports Third-party Reviews,We focus on ease of use and user adoption so we probably would not change our process.,Vendor implemented Implemented in-house Professional services company,Yes,Change management was a big part of the implementation and was well-handled,Poor business processes will result in a poor CRM so its; key to review, refine and document those processes.,9,Online training In-person training Self-taught,9,8,Yes it's easy to learn but we would always recommend basic training for maximum ROI.,10,Sugar works best with an agile/prototyping approach to configuration and customisation. The speed of build/deploy enables you to sit with the End User and build what they really want when and as required.,Yes - we have customized the interface extensively,Yes - we have added extensive custom code,Simply to say that both taska are easy to do.,Yes,9,Yes,I was building a new module and didn't "follow the rules" and Sugar Support went out of their way to advise me of where I went wrong and how to fix the problem. They were entitled to say " Go away and read the Manual" but they did not when I explained I was time constrained for delivery.,The user interface on both the browser and Sugar Mobile is superb so most actions are both visible and easy to do for end users. Sugar Adminsitration can easily be performed by non-technical staff after basic traing.,Marketing Automation uses the old interface and needs to be updated.,Yes,10,9,10,10,Laboratory Systems, Loyalty Systems and ERP Systems.,Future ERP systems.,File import/export Single Signon API (e.g. SOAP or REST) Javascript widgets ETL tools AppExchange or similar marketplace,10,Review the documentation before you start It will meak your projecta much simpler exercise.,9,9,Given the low subscription fee, we have not negotiated special terms.,Negotiate procing at the end of their fiscal quarter and wher possibel look at mult-year contracts with fixed pricing.,Yes,Great new user interface uses less keystrokes - this is important for user adoption - so increased productivity. New Mobile app really enables the field sales team to work away from the office, whether connected to the internet or not. Record based Dashlets (Mini dashboards) give real feedback at the Customer, Contact, Opportunity, Lead and Case record level so you don't need much reporting.,Looking to use Process Author for better workflow/process management,Yes,NoSugar CRM Is Pretty SweetWe use Sugar across the organization in many ways: to manage marketing automation, customer journey, and our quotes. My use of Sugar is completely sales-related. I use it to manage my customers and prospects in the way a CRM is traditionally used--logging communication and activities with them in the CRM. I also create and manage quotes in Sugar and that makes managing my forecast/pipeline easy to do.,Quote Management Activity Logging Marketing Automation,I'd like to see the reporting interface become a little more modern. Too much menu-diving required.,9,I lack the visibility management might have on this, but it has made managing sales easy for me and is an essential tool.,HubSpot Sales, Collabspot, Slack, Skype, GoToMeetingSugar is the sweeter CRMSugar is being used by the whole organization. We use it primarily to track all of our interactions with our clients. We can now monitor the entire sales funnel. One of the biggest process failures was in our followup with the client. Know what the conversation and pain points are with each contact has greatly increased our win ratio.,Pricing is a major consideration with Sugar. When comparing Sugar with competitors, the cost to value ratio is outstanding. I really like the ability to customize the reporting. I have my dashboard really locked in. I log in, view the dashboard, and drill down into the issue of the day. Sales funnel.... Knowing how much we are promoting, how those promotions are affecting our target, and how we are engaging with those who have responded. Sugar has made this a simple process that we have integrated into every workflow touching the sale.,PSA connectors. I have not found a PSA with a great CRM integrated, so I let the PSA do what it does best. Problem is getting the Sugar to more closely integrate with the PSA. Sugar's flexibility is great, but it sometimes seems like I am handing out a lot of nickels and dimes to third party developers for their modules. Desktop and mobile menus could be a bit more homogenous.,8,Sales management is great now. When conducting a sales meeting there is no place to hide. We are no longer fumbling through individual email accounts, spreadsheets, and note cards. The is policy is if it is not in the system, then it is not true. Our follow up has increased tremendously, With a more great followups has come a greater number of contracts awarded to us. If the server is down, we are down. There have been a few glitches and and need to restore backups because the data was just not populating. down time has been minimal, but very impacting.,Salesforce,Microsoft Azure HDInsight, Amazon Cloud Drive, Google Drive,10,2,Tracking the effectiveness of Ads to sales. Tracking sales team activity SHowing cash flows from ad spend to client buy.,Use cases from other client experiances Root cause analysis as to why we won or lost a sale creating better email and text messages,Tighter SMS integration Document management and SIgnature Capture More features on the Voip Integration,8,No,Price Product Features Product Usability Third-party Reviews,More testing and vetting. Our corporate culture is to do a lot of the evaluating ourselves. As an outsource for IT services, it just makes sense that we test, test, test then find what others have experienced. Because at the end of the day, our clients are looking to us for these answers.,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was a small part of the implementation and was well-handled,Learning and navigating menus. We started off know that the Sugar system had the answers, we just needed to learn how to ask the system the right questions. Automating our promotion process. Ads here and social media mentions there and getting it all to report back to the CRM without making double entries concerning everything we where doing to attract more clients. Email. Since we don't use Outlook, there was a challenge in getting our email server connected to the CRM. Then came the human element and training our team to use Sugar for all of their client communications.,9,No,7,No,Between our ISP and Email server requirements we where getting intermittent blockages in our email generated from Sugar. We worked with the Sugar team for weeks trying to get around the issue and even tried rerouting and spoofing ports. The sugar team finally wrote a patch that fit our needs.SugarCRM ReviewI reviewed multiple enterprise CRMs to find which would fit our company the best. SugarCRM was one of those. My review consisted of actively testing each CRM for about 2 weeks, attempting detailed customizations, testing the workflow processes and evaluating the overall usability of the system. At the end of my review there were two CRMs that ultimately met our requirements, SugarCRM and Salesforce.,SugarCRM's number one strength is the ability to host your instance on-site. This make any customization and changes possible as you have full control over every aspect of the CRM, including the source code. The price of SugarCRM is its second strength. It has essentially all of the features of Salesforce and more but at a dramatically lower price. The integrated Project Management module was another top selling point for my organization.,SugarCRM is hard to use at the administration level, plain and simple. Of all of the CRMs I reviewed SugarCMR had the steepest learning curve and was the most difficult to understand. I also needed to make some customizations that weren't "out of the box" I was able to make these customizations easily in SalesForce but had to program everything by hand in Sugar and still wasn't able to implement my customizations fully. At a developer level the Sugar Framework is quite a bit to learn. I thought that it would actually be easier to develop in Sugar since it uses common programming languages however the framework that Sugar is built on is very confusing and bloated with far from adequate documentation. Developing and administering Sugar feels like you need to have some secret insider info that you can only get if you hire one of their "partners" to actually do the development and administration for you. It is not something that can be done easily in house like some of the other CRMs,5,We did not move forward with integrating Sugar so I'm not able to accurately comment on ROI,SalesForce,Salesforce.com, Smartsheet
SugarCRM

SugarCRM Reviews

SugarCRM
Filter 166 vetted SugarCRM reviews and ratings
June 06, 2018

SugarCRM Review: "Sugar is a great, customizable solution - just make sure you have a good tech team behind it"

• Extremely flexible. Sugar is open source, and so you're able to build customized modules to fit your needs readily and easily.
  • Robust reporting capabilities. I appreciate how it's quick and easy to pull the data that my clients need.
  • Easy to use. Sugar has a fairly straight user interface, and so is usable even by those who are not particularly tech savvy.
  • More approachable user interface. At its core, it's a complex database, and it's not always intuitive.
It's well suited for tracking and managing customer relationships. We also find that it's well suited for tracking program eligibility. We use it to manage over 6000 applications for publicly-funded preschool programs, as well as the entire communication flow with both families and preschool providers who engage with our program. It does well if you have a few different customer groups that interact with one another - it allows you to track your communication with these groups, as well as their relationships with one another.
Read Emma McCarthy's full review
May 30, 2018

User Review: "SugarCRM - 10 out of 10"

• Sugar gives full account and contact visibility so any member of the organisation can have a full and accurate view of all related activities, products install, contracts in place and much more. It gives the proverbial One View.
  • Dashboards are one of the strongest parts of Sugar giving each user their own view of the way they can and want to interact with the customer. The dashboards are a key feature in that they are very easy to customize so that each user has a personal view with tasks, data views etc. appropriate to their role. Customizing these dashboards by role is also very easy. No coding is required, it is largely a matter of dragging and dropping fields.
  • Sugar's Forecasting Module makes the forecasting process quick and easy by using the Opportunities already created by the Sales Team. It also provides great individual feedback to the Team regarding YTD & QTD performance against Quota.
  • Sugar Mobile is a very strong mobile app for IOS and Android that is both easy to use and comprehensive. I t can be used both of-line and on-line mode.
  • With Version 8, there's not much Sugar can't do for us. With Plug-ins for most extra requirements that Sugar doesn't deliver at no/very low cost it's easy to build/deliver what we really need.
  • S
Sugar is an excellent product that covers the CRM needs for most organisations, large or small. Its low cost, flexibility and ease of use make it stand out in a very cluttered market. For mobile teams, Sugar Mobile is a free IOS/Android App that is superb.

Ease of customisation and administration mean our clients can control their own destiny if they wish to. This ease of use helps significantly reduce Sugar's TCO sine external consultants are not required to make the system changes that Clients want on a regular basis.
Read Peter Fletcher's full review
December 12, 2017

SugarCRM Review: "Sugar CRM Is Pretty Sweet"

• Quote Management
  • Activity Logging
  • Marketing Automation
  • I'd like to see the reporting interface become a little more modern. Too much menu-diving required.
SugarCRM is great for keeping track of your interactions with your customers and prospects, both from the standpoint of logging activity manually (calls, emails, etc.) and linking it with a marketing automation tool. I think for someone who is not a Sugar admin, reporting can be time-consuming. As a Territory Manager, I want creating a new report to be easy, fast, and accurate. SugarCRM provides accurate reports, but I haven't found creating them to be easy or fast.
Read Zeke Becerra's full review
July 22, 2016

SugarCRM Review: "Sugar is the sweeter CRM"

• Pricing is a major consideration with Sugar. When comparing Sugar with competitors, the cost to value ratio is outstanding.
  • I really like the ability to customize the reporting.
  • I have my dashboard really locked in. I log in, view the dashboard, and drill down into the issue of the day.
  • Sales funnel.... Knowing how much we are promoting, how those promotions are affecting our target, and how we are engaging with those who have responded. Sugar has made this a simple process that we have integrated into every workflow touching the sale.
  • PSA connectors. I have not found a PSA with a great CRM integrated, so I let the PSA do what it does best. Problem is getting the Sugar to more closely integrate with the PSA.
  • Sugar's flexibility is great, but it sometimes seems like I am handing out a lot of nickels and dimes to third party developers for their modules.
  • Desktop and mobile menus could be a bit more homogenous.
We all have Sugar on our computers and mobile devices. Workflows are dedicated to ensuring Sugar is always up to date. Now, when I am in the field, or meeting with a client on their premises, I have all the information on my phone. Many of my closings are done in the moment.
Read Marc Prince's full review
April 08, 2016

"SugarCRM Review"

• SugarCRM's number one strength is the ability to host your instance on-site. This make any customization and changes possible as you have full control over every aspect of the CRM, including the source code.
  • The price of SugarCRM is its second strength. It has essentially all of the features of Salesforce and more but at a dramatically lower price.
  • The integrated Project Management module was another top selling point for my organization.
  • SugarCRM is hard to use at the administration level, plain and simple. Of all of the CRMs I reviewed SugarCMR had the steepest learning curve and was the most difficult to understand.
  • I also needed to make some customizations that weren't "out of the box" I was able to make these customizations easily in Salesforce but had to program everything by hand in Sugar and still wasn't able to implement my customizations fully.
  • At a developer level the Sugar Framework is quite a bit to learn. I thought that it would actually be easier to develop in Sugar since it uses common programming languages however the framework that Sugar is built on is very confusing and bloated with far from adequate documentation.
  • Developing and administering Sugar feels like you need to have some secret insider info that you can only get if you hire one of their "partners" to actually do the development and administration for you. It is not something that can be done easily in house like some of the other CRMs
SugarCRM is a great fit for a company that wants the features of Salesforce but not the price, or if you need to be able to host the CRM yourself for security or customization purposes. Finally I would recommend SugarCRM to a company that plans on having an outside "Sugar Partner" set up the CRM and perform regular maintenance as opposed to handling it in house.
Read Aaron Fisher's full review
March 09, 2016

SugarCRM Review: "One cool CRM out there."

SUCRM as we call it, is used across the whole organization and I have deployed it for a few clients. We have used it primarily as a CRM and for client follow up.
  • Excellent database system. Can be copied to other servers.
  • Custom fields.
  • Ability to link CRM data to deals.
  • Good user interface.
  • Provide portable versions.
  • Probably provide platform independent CRM system.
It is a very stable CRM and that is what it is! However, I will recommend it more for businesses in healthcare, manufacturing, IT, accounting and logistics. In fact any business where there is a need to keep customer records in a pliable way and be ready for retrieval is where SugarCRM plays well.
Read Chin Uba (MBA, MSc, MCITP, MCSE)'s full review
February 12, 2016

SugarCRM Review: "Queen of the Details"

SugarCRM is being used to track and note web service Requests. My use was specifically in that capacity, though the software is used throughout the organization. We needed a way to be able to monitor the workload of incoming requests, as well as a way to communicate actions taken on each request.
  • SugarCRM includes a number of fields for details, so the requests are complete in their level of detail.
  • SugarCRM has a number of dropdowns that exactly capture the description of the service.
  • SugarCRM integrates with email, so users get an email update whenever a status is changed.
  • Initially you discover that using the Back button is futile, and you have to navigate via the breadcrumbs in the page hierarchy. Having Back button capability would be great.
SugarCRM is functional for back-end/in-house IT services tracking. The software was used to track inventory as well as web services rendered, and a large amount of data. I can see SugarCRM being used in a sales or fundraising capacity as status indicators are really clear as well are the emails that come along with any status changes.
Read Marissa Schuchat's full review
September 29, 2015

User Review: "Partner's view of SugarCRM"

Our entire organization uses SugarCRM. We utilize Marketing Automation, Leads, Opportunities, Contracts, Quotes, Projects. It provides us with the ability to have single tool to view all information as it pertains to each touch point we have with our current and prospective customers.
  • Account Managment
  • Integration with many 3rd party tools such as Marketo and Act-On
  • Choice of deployment; On-premise or On-Demand
  • Documentation is functional but it is not great
  • Updates to the product are not earth shattering
Will you be using a partner to help with configuration and customization of the product? Will you be using your own in house staff to provide your services? Will you be integrating with 3rd party systems or your own in house systems?
Read Jeff Bickart's full review
January 27, 2015

SugarCRM Review: "Flexible and powerful CRM that does the job for our company"

Our sales and marketing teams use SugarCRM to manage customer relationships, sales opportunities, and track marketing campaigns. It gives us a central source for this information and allows managers to review reports/activities at any time. Other departments are beginning to use SugarCRM as they need access to some of the data being stored in Sugar.
  • Reporting - creating and editing reports is easy and intuitive. We find this aspect of SugarCRM to be much better than our previous solution.
  • Navigation - I find it very easy to drill into the information I need. Moving from accounts to contacts to opportunities, etc.
  • Custom Fields - Sugar makes it extremely convenient and easy to add custom data fields whenever and wherever we need them. We've made Sugar do what we need it to with the use of these and we continue to add new ones regularly.
  • Bugs - Each new release contains bugs and glitches that aren't always fixed before the next releas. Unfortunately, we never know where we'll find these. There have been times when functionality has been broken for extended periods of time due to minor updates that are automatically installed for us (we use their SugarOnDemand hosting).
  • Support - There's no point in entering a support ticket with any status other than the system being down/impaired. We never get a response to tickets submitted with any other status. Initial response time from the support team is good. But if an issue requires explanation, prepare to wait for a solution.
  • Direct Mail - We still execute direct mail campaigns as they are effective for us. Unfortunately, Sugar is designed around e-mail campaigns and has little support for direct mail. Simple things cause us problems. For example, we can't export the first and second lines of a street address separately even though we enter them that way. Sugar ends up putting both street address lines together.
  • Integrations - While it's getting better, Salesforce still dominates the market. So 3rd party integrations with SugarCRM aren't as prevalent as we would have hoped.
SugarCRM is flexible enough to adapt to the way you do business. I would focus on asking questions of all CRM providers about that. Just because the software is designed for the way developers think your sales team should work, doesn't mean it makes sense for how you actually do business.
Read Sid Haas's full review
February 10, 2015

SugarCRM Review: "Sugar CRM is sweet."

We used SugarCRM to manage our customers, leads and outbound sales efforts. It was used by our sales team. We previously had been using an Access database to manage our contacts which was cumbersome and we wanted an online solution we could customize for our specific industry needs.
  • Highly customizeable
  • The team at Sugar actually listened to my feedback and made changes to their system based on my company needs.
  • It was way more affordable and then SalesForce and easier to maniuplate.
  • Integrating the data at the time needed more finesse, this may have been changed
  • Mapping sales data was also a little difficult
If you do not need the system to actually process sales orders, then it is perfect!
Read Theresa Monturano's full review
January 28, 2015

"Sugar and spice and...not so nice: A review of SugarCRM"

SugarCRM is being used in the Sales department to aid both Sales Representatives and the Marketing Department to identify products of interest to a wide variety of customers. It addresses the specificity of advertising materials sent to groups of customers, aiming for more specific and less redundant advertising. The whole organization does not use SugarCRM but has access to it. A potential transition away from SugarCRM is in the works, as it is not the most efficient way of organizing and profiling customers.
  • SugarCRM is easy to learn and can be mastered in a matter of hours. It is laid out in a very intuitive manner and can manage thousands of entries and customers.
  • It can record a wide variety of information - not only customer names and contact informations - but also a description of their work and an ability to select biotechnological tools in which they may be interested.
  • Profiles can be annotated and updated constantly; and grouped into larger laboratories. The corresponding profile of each customer can reveal Sales Representatives and their interactions with each customer, which is helpful in avoiding redundant or irrelevant cold calls.
  • When trying to edit or annotate a subsection of a customer's profile, a new page opens entirely. Thus, rather than being able to see all the information at all times, you have to navigate back and forth in a very inefficient and frustrating way. It makes entering things into SugarCRM very tedious.
  • Duplicate entries are a regular occurence in SugarCRM, thanks to the program's inability to differentiate between small differences (such as a capitalized first name or a suffix).
  • SugarCRM does not allow you to very easily merge duplicate entries, and data will get lost in the transfer or consolidation of information.
SugarCRM is appropriate as a customer profiling database for small projects (ie, fewer than 1,000 customers) but with larger projects it gets very tedious and repetitive, presenting a number of frustrating issues with redundancy and a meticulous attention to detail. Thus, I would recommend this to smaller projects; but it is less appropriate for larger tasks with multiple contacts or locations. Another thing to consider is its user-friendliness. If the employees using SugarCRM have minimal experience with marketing or customer profiling, it is a good choice since it is so easy to learn and navigate - a simple and intuitive layout that resembles a social media site.
Read Zoe Leanza's full review
December 18, 2014

Review: "SugarCRM fits the common needs but it may need technical face-lift."

We started implementing SugarCRM a couple of years ago because our development department started to grow as an independent company. We thought that SugarCRM could solve all our customer relation needs. SugarCRM does the trick and solved our biggest problems, but today we also need to keep some in-house and constant technical support.
  • SugarCRM mobile support for both, iOS and Android. That's good for mobility and works great.
  • It is a cloud based SaaS solution.
  • The framework used in its core is robust and flexible.
  • Campaign management and email marketing tools are weak, it's impossible to send create and send clean HTML templates. We ended up using Campaign Monitor (another emailing tool not related to SugarCRM).
  • The interface seems to be outdated compared to other similar solutions like Zoho.
  • It is not very intuitive and sometimes it's difficult to use.You get the feeling that something is not working as expected.
SugarCRM doesn't work so good if you want to track clients with opportunities coming from email campaigns, and this is starting to be an important feature for our company. We also had lots of problems trying to customize and adjust the customer workflows to our needs. I may recommend SugarCRM to a colleague if it doesn't have lots of very specific customizations.
Read Marc Pampols's full review
January 16, 2014

Review: "SugarCRM Professional - Gets the job done when your organization is tight on a CRM solution budget."

SugarCRM is being used by the Sales and Marketing departments of our organization. The main function of the program is for our company to track prospects communications and the various sales stages of business opportunities for the company. We also use the email/newsletter function for sending direct e-blast campaigns to our database. We are looking into integrating the application into some Project Management functions for sourcing, billing and managing event activations but have not pursued this option yet.
  • The CRM application is great at tracking sales stages and allowing easy customization of dashboarding and the navigation for sales teams is intuitive.
  • The application is Cloud based so accessing the application is anywhere is easy.
  • There are several plugins which are helpful including one for Outlook which allows you to archive email communications.
  • The application can be clunky at times. We have had to call into the support team because certain buttons stop working as browser updates occur periodically.
  • The email campaign function is much more difficult to use than some more automated platforms like Mailchimp or Constant Contact. You must build target lists only by running reports first. Once target lists are built you must manually build your own templates and trackers are not auto-generated as they are in the aforementioned applications. Everything is quite manual and not as automated as it could be.
  • The HTML coding doesn't always move over from other applications like Dreamweaver as nicely as it could. The formatting of HTML templates isn't as exactly as you built and takes some correction to get it right.
SugarCRM does the trick if you are looking for an open Source CRM application and you don't have a ton of cash for the big name CRM platforms. However, it is very difficult to get user buy-in because it is cumbersome to use. I have experience with many other CRM applications such as Oracle, Goldmine, and a few others and I find that SugarCRM has been one of the lesser of the reliable and intuitive.
Read Andrew Dunifer, MBA/MS MIS's full review

User Review: "SugarCRM"

• The SugarCRM system allows for us to customize modules creating opportunities for the company to streamline and incorporate pieces of our larger initiatives.
  • SugarCRM is a great tool for our sales department. The opportunities & forecasting modules allow for accurate pipelines and better management of goals.
  • We are marketing multiple events to different target lists at any given point during the year. SugarCRM allows for us to manage both our attendee and sponsor marketing in one place. Everyone within the company can see activities and be aware of what is happening in both our sales and marketing realms.
  • I cannot say enough about how the customization has played a part in allowing us, as a company and marketing department, to run as lean as possible.
  • The reporting capability is an area where I would like to see improvement. It is great on basic reports but would benefit from additional capabilities for more complex reporting.
  • The inability to mass update from reports is frustrating.
When determining if Sugar is the right CRM system for your company I would determine if you would benefit from the customization opportunities or need something more out of the box. If you are planning on extensive customization then make sure you have the internal support of an administrator who can work with developers - third party or internal - to implement those pieces. I also recommend knowing the reports that your people will require to present and talk to Sugar about your needs. If you decide to implement SugarCRM explore the third party plugins and integrate what you can from the beginning.
Read Jennifer Stewart's full review
December 17, 2013

SugarCRM Review: "Sugar CRM - The Most Agile CRM Out There"

• SugarCRM has really helped me in my job as a marketer in a tech company allowing me increased visibility as to where the leads I generate go and how they are being followed up on. It lets me integrate my marketing automation platform directly into Sugar and lets me work closer with the sales team.
  • Sugar has helped us increase profitability by decreasing admin time with business process automation.
  • Sugar is flexible and completely customizable - very agile and allows us to use it however we like.
  • The calendar needs some more work. Sugar has a great new Sugar 7 edition but they didn't even touch the calendar!
  • Can be slow at times.
What do you want/need from a CRM?
Do you care about open source CRM?
How important are integrations/customizations to you? (sugar is unparalleled in both).
How important is name recognition to your decision makers (ie, will you be fired for not choosing salesforce)?
How much are you willing to spend?
Hosted or on-premise?
Read Stewart Sylvester's full review
December 17, 2013

SugarCRM Review: "Great for account management and easily customizable."

• Fast and easy custom reporting
  • Easy creation and integration of new modules
  • Adding new custom fields to Customer or Accounts module
  • Access control and user management. The design has to be more simpler for assigning custom fields for specific profiles
I would recommend this to a colleague who wants a standard CRM which requires more custom modules. Another key factor for this CRM is the Support Module to handle Customer support tickets.
Read Danniel Condez's full review
December 17, 2013

SugarCRM: "Sugar CRM Review"

• Easy to learn.
  • Easy to customize to whatever industry you are in.
  • Great reporting.
  • Email plugins to be automatic to which ever Module you want it to go to.
  • Team/role management
  • Sync/Outlook on the community version
The customization a breeze no matter what industry you are in. As long as you have a work flow to start with, Sugar can easily fall in line. Do your research and make sure that the system has what you need for your business.
Read Joelle DiBenedetto's full review
December 17, 2013

Review: "Tracking leads/sales in Excel still? See how SugarCRM helped my company"

• Customization - Being an administrator, I was able to make small to large scale changes without knowing code.
  • Inexpensive - SugarCRM is inexpensive and that is one of the reasons we chose it over Salesforce.com. Plus it was open source, so our developers could customize it as needed.
  • User-friendly - I found SugarCRM very easy to use and when I didn't know how to do something, I could always go online and find the answer quickly.
  • SugarCRM is better suited for SMB vs Enterprise, would be nice if they could scale it for Enterprise.
  • Reporting: subpar reporting in general. But you can get plugins that help this out.
#1 - vet out your options thoroughly and evaluate what is best for your specific company's needs and goals.
Read Jennifer Schnell's full review
December 10, 2013

SugarCRM Review: "My Morning Coffee Would Taste Better Without Sugar"

• Running call/email logs allowing our company to monitor performance as it happens
  • The ability to link records together through a (fairly) seamless process
  • Viewing a summary for a particular module that allows you to encompass all data at a glance
  • The overall interface isn't aesthetically pleasing, and overall processing of most requests is a dreadful experience
  • Auto-populates almost everything BUT the record that you're actually looking for
  • Creating mass reports to include every detail you desire is almost near impossible. I would challenge the developers themselves to create a flawless report for my team
What's the average load time per page for a particular user of your product, similar to what we need?

Prepare a test report that includes every module/record/detail/etc and ask them to verify it has the capability to do so. Keyword: VERIFY
Read Collin Yanez's full review
December 10, 2013

SugarCRM Review: "Great CRM system that needs to be customized carefully."

• User organization - Onboarding users, getting them setup and setting scope and access level is great in SugarCRM
  • Phone Integration - The feature that we really wanted SugarCRM for; it's integration with sales calling systems is great.
  • Sales Funnel - The ability to view the sales funnel for our team and to see the value for our pipeline at a given time was amazing.
  • UI Complexity
  • UI Customizability - We were always confident that SugarCRM could do what we wanted but, the complexity and thus cost of making SugarCRM into exactly the CRM we needed was a big question.
Figure out what you are going to build in SugarCRM before you build it. Going in without a gameplan is a recipe for an expensive and painful experience. Also, use seasoned developers who are familiar with SugarCRM. Going cheap here will bite you in the end. The experience in SugarCRM is key; far more than just someone who knows PHP or CRMs in general.
Read Emmanuel Mwangi's full review
December 06, 2013

SugarCRM Review: "Affordable, but like most products, you get what you pay for."

• It is simple to customize field names, drop downs, and the overall setup.
  • I have been very pleased with the simplicity in the email archiving feature
  • The running of reports and data exports have been tasks I do often and feel SugarCRM does this slow, but particularly well.
  • I am familiar with other CRM platforms so in comparison to others, SugarCRM is very slow.
  • SugarCRM could also eliminate a 1-2 clicks on most tasks. Logging a call, voice mail, etc. involves more steps than most CRMs.
  • A major issue I have had is the lack of information populated when transferring contacts to different companies. If you have 5 different records for a company, you don't see the different addresses in the drop down for changing account assignment.
  • It is not the best CRM for first time CRM users. I have noticed many new users having trouble adapting quickly.
  • There are many cases when logged calls or contacts are not associated to a company. Often a user error, but this is less of an issue in other CRMs with more guidance on required fields.
The first question I would ask would be around budget. SugarCRM is priced very aggressively compared to other CRMs. I would also ask how important customer service is. With SugarCRM, you are not signing up for a very responsive customer support team. One important question would be the amount of experience the team has with CRMs. I would be hesitant to recommend SugarCRM to a young inexperienced sales organization.
Read Johnathan Fansler's full review
January 13, 2014

"SugarCRM Review"

• It did seem to be a great tool for organizing data
  • The opportunity function did not work as good as it could have
  • The company I worked for did not use the software for anything but a name and address book for the most part.
  • Just like all software there is a bit of a learning curve to learn the functionality but it did not seem to function up to par with some other software like Act I have used in the past. Compared to salesforce that I use now the sugar crm did not work as well but that is due to its limited use at my former company. Sugar crm did the basics of data collection just fine but we used it for little else. I am not sure what version we used either .
How does this compare to salesforce, act, Boru, or some others on the market?
Read Art Speakman's full review
August 17, 2016

SugarCRM: "Sugar CRM Review"

The marketing and sales department used it for the tracking of vendor contacts, partnerships, trade show contacts and lead vendors. We also used it to track project management for different sales and marketing initiatives. In the system, emails were tracked against contacts. New opportunities for projects and trade shows were also managed. For all of these different functions, we had simple workflow actions that made notifications for certain business events and triggers. We also used the system for sales and marketing reporting on ROI and forecasting for sales.
  • Open source code which allows your developers to customize it however needed. It also did pretty well integrating with other products.
  • The Sugar CRM community is pretty vast and the user community is very engaged so you can find great resources and answers to questions and problems.
  • Our team really liked the custom reports we were able to create inside the application. They were visually appealing, user friendly and worked very well for our business unit's needs (forecasting, ROI, campaigning etc).
  • Official documentation is not a strong point for this application. I wish there was more reference material to guide people new to the system from an admin and developer side.
  • There are fewer bells and whistles to the application than other CRMs.
  • Since it is open source, you don't have any sort of support plan options like other bigger applications like Salesforce.com or Oracle etc.
Small businesses may find use of the application because it's low cost. Or companies that have a pretty straightforward sales process and won't require a lot of heavy customization. Heavy customization is fine in the framework, however you need a skilled developer to be able to manage it.
June 03, 2013

Review: "SugarCRM - Easy, Yet Powerful and Customizable Contact Management Solution"

• Customized Data - The system is extremely flexible and allows you to capture any data that is needed for your business, without the need for custom programming. It is all managed within the application.
  • Collaboration - It is easy to see what is going on amongst your team. The Activity Stream is constantly updated with activities going on within Sugar.
  • Extendable - Although custom programming isn't necessary to use the product, if you have unique programming needs, the application is very extendable through custom development.
  • Task Management - A task can be associated to almost anything in the system. This is great for reminders of work that needs to be done, including follow ups to potential customers. All tasks are easily seen on the Home screen so that you are always reminded of what is coming up next.
  • Email Integration - The system has a number of ways of integrating e-mail into the process. We currently use the built in e-mail client. This allows us to file e-mails that we received and initiate e-mails from Sugar that are automatically filed to the system.
  • Reporting - I feel that the system would benefit greatly from better reporting. In the paid editions, there is a basic report writer, but I see it more as a data extraction tool than I do a true reporting solution. We have worked with the ZuckerReports module as an add-on and this does give some better reporting options. It is a little difficult to install and implement, but it does work. We have also used Microsoft SQL Reporting Services as a reporting tool as well.
I was first introduced to SugarCRM through our internal sales and contact management system. I was placed in charge of it's implementation and as such, I have learned a great deal about it's capabilities. After learning our in house system, I began work with one of our customers who is currently using the Professional edition of the software. Through these two experiences, I have now begun recommending the SugarCRM platform to other existing customers and prospects. I think the simplicity of the application, combined with the power of the customizations, makes this an application that everyone should consider when looking at implementing a CRM in their own organization.
Read Tom Kreiner's full review
August 01, 2016

SugarCRM Review: "Sugar...Not always sweet but not looking for a substitution either"

We use Sugar across our sales/marketing/account management teams to organize and track our customers and prospects - particularly our sales/marketing funnel.
  • Sugar's reporting is pretty simple to use once you get trained up on it.
  • The pricing is good for an organization of our size.
  • Ability to customize also good - again, once you get trained up on it.
  • Really, really find it a hassle (at least right now) to sync Sugar with our marketing automation software. We use a 3rd party API as our connector between the two systems but I find glitches in it that concern me and make me wonder if all my information is being accurately transmitted and matched up.
  • Sugar wasn't very intuitive when I first began using it. We recently had a 3rd party come in to redesign the system for us and once it was customized, it was much better.
  • Search function doesn't always seem to work in the top nav bar- frustrating when I'm trying to find something fast and don't want to go into a module to do it.
I think Sugar is the kind of thing that can be used out of the box but shouldn't. We needed help to go back and rethink the design of it for our organization and once we did that, it became a better solution.

Customer data management / contact management (19)
9.2
Workflow management (16)
Territory management (13)
Opportunity management (14)
9.8
Integration with email client (e.g., Outlook or Gmail) (15)
Contract management (14)
9.4
Quote & order management (12)
Interaction tracking (17)
Channel / partner relationship management (12)
Case management (12)
Call center management (8)
Help desk management (8)
Lead management (11)
Email marketing (12)
Task management (14)
Billing and invoicing management (7)
Reporting (12)
Forecasting (13)
Pipeline visualization (14)
Customizable reports (15)
Custom fields (17)
Custom objects (14)
Scripting environment (10)
9.5
API for custom integration (14)
9.6
Single sign-on capability (10)
9.7
Role-based user permissions (13)
Social data (7)