Symantec Ghost Solution Suite Review: "Deploy computer with Ghost to ease the from-scratch loading process"
- Ghost saves valuable time by imaging a new computer rather than having to setup new or existing computers from scratch.
- You can build a library of images to be used for workstations and servers. Depending on the particular usage for the computer or server, you can deploy the image most appropriate for that computer or server.
- Another big benefit is saving time on having to configure or remember all the custom setting you may need. Ghost Solution saved the setting configurations in the image, saving you hours of manual configurations.
- Even though Ghost Solution Suite saves configurations, software settings and installation within the image, there is still some manual configuration that needs to be done once the image is complete.
- Installing Drivers for specific models of computers. With Ghost Solution Suite, it can be difficult to get the drivers for all the hardware of all the different model computers, so you have to create different images for different model computers. It would be nice to have the ability to have a hardware independent image for all model computers
- Image Size. Ghost does have compression to reduce the size of the image, but when you have to store all the drivers within the image it increases the total size of the image you need to manage.
- Pushing out scripts and jobs to computers
- Remote imaging and pushing out Windows OS Images
- Helping to track who pushed out what jobs
- It's incredibly slow at times. When multiple users are using the console, it gets even slower.
- The dialog and popup boxes do not get bigger. Some lines can be very large and it can be hard to read the scripts.
- The BIOS must be reconfigured sometimes if a legacy boot is not being used when network booting for reimaging.
- Simple and easy to use interface
- Easily image multiple computers at the same time
- Deploys software
- Initial install could be easier. Had to call support to assist.
- Joining domains had a few kinks that had to be figured out.
- Ghost Cast [Server} gets the job done.
- Easy to use.
- Nice UI.
- Setting up PXE has a learning curve.
- Still trying to figure out if we can create one golden (master) image for all hardware types.
- Would love a way to be able to refresh PCs with effecting user and program data.
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite Scorecard Summary
About Symantec Ghost Solution Suite
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite is a solution for imaging and deploying desktops, laptops, tablets, and servers. From a single management console, you can quickly and easily migrate to the latest operating systems, inventory machines, deploy software, and perform custom configurations across multiple hardware platforms and OS types including Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 3.1 includes the Altiris Deployment Solution 6.9 console and its core capabilities while adding key functionality from Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 including Ghost Cast Server, DeployAnywhere, Recovery Kit, and a streamlined no-cost database installation.
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite Competitors
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite Technical Details
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|
|Supported Countries:||Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia|