Reviews (1-4 of 4)
November 19, 2018
Score 8 out of 10
We use Ghost Solution Suite to image new and existing computers. We use it company wide. We use Ghost for new computers to image them with a company approved image when they arrive. We also find it helpful to re-image an existing computer when an employee leaves. Rather then give an existing computer to a new employee, we find it better to clean out the computer so the installation of Windows and the company applications are fresh. We find using Ghost makes this a quicker process and provides a new employee a clean computer, free of old files, settings and cache from the old users. This saves us time form having to install everything from scratch.
- Ghost saves valuable time by imaging a new computer rather than having to setup new or existing computers from scratch.
- You can build a library of images to be used for workstations and servers. Depending on the particular usage for the computer or server, you can deploy the image most appropriate for that computer or server.
- Another big benefit is saving time on having to configure or remember all the custom setting you may need. Ghost Solution saved the setting configurations in the image, saving you hours of manual configurations.
- Even though Ghost Solution Suite saves configurations, software settings and installation within the image, there is still some manual configuration that needs to be done once the image is complete.
- Installing Drivers for specific models of computers. With Ghost Solution Suite, it can be difficult to get the drivers for all the hardware of all the different model computers, so you have to create different images for different model computers. It would be nice to have the ability to have a hardware independent image for all model computers
- Image Size. Ghost does have compression to reduce the size of the image, but when you have to store all the drivers within the image it increases the total size of the image you need to manage.
Read Dave King's full review
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite is well suited to standard images of company approved software and standard configurations for all users. When every user has the same computer configuration, it is easily managed with a standard image across the board. It is less effective if you need to have multiple configurations for different groups. It becomes cumbersome to manage all the various images. When you add to the complexity by having to address the different drivers for the different hardware model computers, this only adds to the overall number of images you will have to manage, create and keep updated. I find Ghost most helpful with standard hardware model computers and one or two images company wide.
We use Ghost Solutions Suite to manage upwards of 1000+ PCs on our network. We create scripts to push out applications and other stuff to lots of computers. We also use Ghost Solutions Suite to image computers without having to touch hundreds of computers. We image all of our lab machines every summer.
- Pushing out scripts and jobs to computers
- Remote imaging and pushing out Windows OS Images
- Helping to track who pushed out what jobs
- It's incredibly slow at times. When multiple users are using the console, it gets even slower.
- The dialog and popup boxes do not get bigger. Some lines can be very large and it can be hard to read the scripts.
- The BIOS must be reconfigured sometimes if a legacy boot is not being used when network booting for reimaging.
Read Andrew Breyen's full review
It helps to manage the mass of computers we use. We use GSS to see where and who deployed software to what computers. This can particularly be helpful when dealing with license usage, and tracking how many licenses we have left, and where those licenses have been used. We are able to use it to manage clients.
January 17, 2018
Score 9 out of 10
Our team implemented Symantec Ghost Solution Suite to help with yearly images of our school machines. We had seven computer labs that needed to re-imaged every year. This helped us speed up the process, since before, we had to individually image one machine at a time. This way we clicked a few buttons, and after a while, we had clean working machines.
- Simple and easy to use interface
- Easily image multiple computers at the same time
- Deploys software
- Initial install could be easier. Had to call support to assist.
- Joining domains had a few kinks that had to be figured out.
Read Brian Wheatley's full review
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite is well suited for larger environments. I used it in a full K-12 school and it saved me from a lot of unnecessary work. I feel that this software would be less appropriate in smaller businesses with less that 20 users. It seems to be meant for larger organizations.
We currently use Symantec Ghost Solutions Suite 3.0 to capture and deploy PC images to specific hardware types.
- Ghost Cast [Server} gets the job done.
- Easy to use.
- Nice UI.
- Setting up PXE has a learning curve.
- Still trying to figure out if we can create one golden (master) image for all hardware types.
- Would love a way to be able to refresh PCs with effecting user and program data.
Read this authenticated review
Windows Deployment Services may be a better option if you have time to learn the scripting process.
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite Scorecard Summary
About Symantec Ghost Solution Suite
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite is a solution for imaging and deploying desktops, laptops, tablets, and servers. From a single management console, you can quickly and easily migrate to the latest operating systems, inventory machines, deploy software, and perform custom configurations across multiple hardware platforms and OS types including Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 3.1 includes the Altiris Deployment Solution 6.9 console and its core capabilities while adding key functionality from Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 including Ghost Cast Server, DeployAnywhere, Recovery Kit, and a streamlined no-cost database installation.
Categories: Software Distribution
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite Competitors
Clonezilla, SmartDeploy, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, Acronis Snap Deploy
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Symantec Ghost Solution Suite Technical Details
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|
|Supported Countries:||Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia|