Reviews (1-2 of 2)
We use the platform to keep our server infrastructure up to date with Patch Management, Software Deployment, as well as for OS Deployment. It has helped us to use one tool for all of these needs, vs needing multiple tools.
- Being able to manage and report on our entire enterprise infrastructure from a single pane of glass is very handy!
- Deploying patches via the SMP can be a little complicated, but once you figure out exactly how to do it, it works very well!
- Building system images with the SMP is an easy process. I build a VM with the software I want, and then run a job that prepares the system for image capture (runs sysprep, wipes the SMP GUID, etc) and then boots into WinPE and captures the image via Ghost.
- The SMP solution is a beast. Each piece is complicated in itself let alone how everything ties together!
- There is plenty of documentation online on how to perform a specific task, but you need to pay attention to what VERSION the article is written for. I've been halfway through implementing something only to hit a roadblock since I'm running a newer version and the option the article says to click on doesn't exist anymore...
However, when you learn how to the things you want to do, it comes as second nature and you complete them like they're supposed to be done that way. A lot of these things are done to be able to be completed a number of different ways. Take Patch Management, you can deploy patches automatically, via Jobs, or via the "Start Software Update Cycle Now" link in the SMP Agent!
- Software deployment through policy
- Engage with customers for feedback
- Understands the future needs of customers
- Interface design - slow and clunky move away from Microsoft only browser support used html5
- Global rules for software policies so they can be reused easily
- Better tools for cloning policies
Symantec Server Management Suite Scorecard Summary
About Symantec Server Management Suite
Symantec Server Management Suite provides IT administrators with a comprehensive solution for managing physical and virtual servers across a broad array of platforms. The suite provides solutions to provision, control, automate, and monitor servers from a central console. With these tools, organizations gain and maintain control of their servers, reduce service interruptions, and increase uptime. With Server Management Suite, organizations are able to:
Manage change with confidence by driving predictable and repeatable day-to-day operations.
Make smarter, faster decisions with real-time conclusions that are data-driven.
Drive innovation through the adoption of new technologies and implementation of automated processes without adding new tools, people, or methodologies.
Symantec Server Management Suite Competitors
Symantec Server Management Suite Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Symantec Server Management Suite Technical Details
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|
|Supported Countries:||Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia|