TaxJar Reviews

George Sleeman | TrustRadius Reviewer
It provides me with the needed reports to file all the sales tax returns for 60+ clients in a timely manner. Without it, the hours spent on using spreadsheets would be cost-prohibitive. My staff can handle more clients effectively and accurately by using this one tool.
  • The CSV upload for clients that do not have or want to connect directly is very good. It allows us to get a lot of the information done quickly.
  • The cost is very competitive.
  • According to our clients, the integration is relatively easy.
  • For the most part, the reports are accurate.
  • Customer service for accountants is not phone supported. Even with the number of clients I have on the platform, I have to wait for email customer support.
  • Some of the states' new reports need improvement. What the state is asking for is not being provided in NV and TN for out-of-state sellers.
Overall, I cannot see using another tool for sales tax reporting. TaxJar is cost-effective and accurate with a few small exceptions. As a seller, the customer service I cannot speak to, but I think the accountant customer service leaves something to be desired.
Read George Sleeman's full review
Stephen Steinberg | TrustRadius Reviewer
TaxJar is being used to more thoroughly track, manage and pay sales tax via our e-commerce website as well as invoices generated via Xero. The sales tax landscape has been notoriously difficult to navigate recently with all the legislative changes and pending changes, and TaxJar gives us a bit more (but not complete) peace of mind that everything is up-to-speed.
  • It's getting much better at native integrations, particularly with our website which runs on BigCommerce.
  • It does a great job of clearly displaying our sales tax liabilities.
  • It absolutely crushes the competition in terms of price as well as ease-of-use.
  • Continually increase its native integration features with BigCommerce, which recently just opened up more Checkout APIs and Sales Tax APIs.
  • The Amazon integration is confusing only because Amazon (sometimes?) calculates and collects sales tax on your behalf. It's not clear what's best-- to let Amazon do it for you or for TaxJar to handle it.
  • Onboarding could be a bit easier and guided.
TaxJar is absolutely necessary to keep your books up-to-date and your tax liabilities properly categorized and managed. If you're running a large national operation, it's necessary. If you're regional or not doing much in sales, you could probably get away without it. However it's so affordable that it may even make sense for those who don't necessarily need sales tax tracking now but plan on growing into that need, just to avoid the headache of rushing to set it up when you actually do need it.
Read Stephen Steinberg's full review
Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use TaxJar to accurately calculate our sales tax requirements from our Amazon sales. TaxJar has a pretty seamless integration with Amazon and, come tax season, we're able to see how much sales tax we collected from the various states where we have a nexus allowing us to easily file and pay our sales tax requirements.
  • Even though it was 4 years ago, I remember the integration process with Amazon being incredibly simple. TaxJar provided instructions on exactly what to do in order to make sure they were receiving the correct data. Even someone with zero IT or technical skills can follow the instruction and get it working. And it has worked pretty perfectly ever since.
  • TaxJar does a great job of having a dashboard that makes it simple to see your gross sales, your taxed sales and what you owe in each state. If there's a new state where you haven't filed, TaxJar has an excellent guide on how and where to register for that state.
  • TaxJar offers Auto-filing so that if all of your marketplace sales are tracked via TaxJar, then you don't even need to take care of filing your sales tax. They'll do it for you. I personally don't use it, but it's great that they offer it.
  • One thing is that I do sell on another platform that integrates with TaxJar, but I have products that are exempt from sales tax in some states. With the other integration, there's no way to show those products as exempt. It seems that TaxJar doesn't see those exemptions for some reason.
  • Support is only via email, unless you upgrade your plan to TaxJar Plus. During filing season that can be really stressful if you need answers quickly.
  • It would be great if TaxJar could notify me if I have nexus in a new state, so I don't have to check on my own. Right now it has to be checked manually.
Even with a few minor issues, TaxJar is still a great service that makes calculating sales tax from your marketplace sales MUCH easier than having to do it manually. For Amazon, it's a no brainer. There are a lot of other marketplace integrations that may work just as well, or less so, but I can't speak to those yet as I am not using them currently.
Read Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician's full review
Jessica Meadows Rich | TrustRadius Reviewer
My company sells natural health and beauty items online via Etsy and Amazon. We use TaxJar to calculate state sales tax and manage state sales tax filings.
  • Works seamlessly with Amazon and Etsy to calculate state sales tax owed
  • State sales tax reports are easy to read and understand
  • Allows recording of filing history
  • Users can edit and manage of individual states
  • Many states have different requirements: I wish each state account had more options for notes and other ways to document what is going on with each state. For instance, to be able to track the online account login information, add notes about communication with the state, fees outside of sales tax that have been paid or due, etc.
  • I'd love to take advantage of the AutoFile but at $25 per state, and having to file in 31 states , 14 of which I have to file monthly, AutoFile just isn't economical.
  • This is really picky but: previous period sales tax is always paid in the next period. However, the default when you look at any report or when you go to record the filing history is the current period. The default should always be the most recent period, since that's the period you're looking at 95% of the time.
If you aren't a tax professional, this is a must. Trying to manually calculate which county/city/state sales tax is owed will break your brain. Actually, even if you were a tax professional, why would you want to manually do it when you could just have a tool like this to calculate it for you. I wish it was also affordable to have it file for you and there are some crunchy bits, but its pros definitely outweigh the cons.
Read Jessica Meadows Rich's full review
Jeff McRitchie | TrustRadius Reviewer
TaxJar has simplified tax calculations across multiple jurisdictions and in multiple platforms for a fraction of the cost of some of the competitors. We have it fully integrated with our eCommerce and ERP solutions to provide consistent tax calculation and reporting on all transactions. Overall it has been a lifesaver and with the evolution of tax laws we are depending on TaxJar to help us scale in the coming year.
  • Ecommerce tax calculation
  • Tax reporting
  • Tax report preparation and filing
  • Could use some additional integration options with major software providers
  • Additional rules for specialized product types would be helpful
  • Different systems can sometimes integrate and round differently causing issues with reconciliation
TaxJar works great for API eCommerce tax calculations both at checkout and for estimating. It also works great integrated with an ERP to ensure that the right tax is being charged based on a geolocated address match. As long as a robust integration has already been built for your software this option is excellent. If you have to build it yourself the time/value will not be quite as clear.
Read Jeff McRitchie's full review
Kathy Simpson | TrustRadius Reviewer
My entire company is using TaxJar for our e-commerce sales via both eBay and Amazon channels. TaxJar has simplified record keeping and saves us multiple hours per month while allowing us to keep up with the rapidly changing legal status of Online Sales Tax Collection. I feel confident that my company remains compliant.
  • TaxJar automates filing with multiple states Sales Tax Agencies
  • TaxJar keeps track of which of my transactions require collection of sales tax.
  • TaxJar spends the time keeping up with the rapidly changing legal status of collecting sales tax for online transactions.
  • TaxJar will need to improve its functionality as the sales tax law changes from 2018 take effect.
  • TaxJar needs to improve its pricing to allow for collecting sales tax and remitting into multiple states.
  • TaxJar will need to bring on my customer service reps to keep up with its growth.
All or most of small to mid-size e-Commerce business owners should be utilizing TaxJar. Its automation and reports are the only way to help our businesses remain compliant as the laws are constantly changing. Specifically, with the big change in 2018 most of us will not be able to remain in business and compliant without an automated system.
Read Kathy Simpson's full review
December 09, 2018

TaxJar!

Pros: The best thing about TaxJar is the ability to connect it to my Amazon store and it monitors all of the sales tax that needs to be submitted and filed. I also use the added service of letting TaxJar actually submit my tax return. Saves me time and frees me to do things that will help me grow my business.

Cons: I rarely even visit my TaxJar account because it is automated and there's really nothing for me to do. I do check in once in a while to make sure it's tracking everything correctly. There is no real con for me so far.

• This was the easiest plug-in that our IT has integrated with our Magento Website. I love that it can collect and auto-file in every state. Customer support always answers our questions quickly and accurately. The interface is user-friendly.
  • TaxJar is a fully featured taxation product for our e-commerce business. I'm amazed that something so fully featured is available at such a low price. It integrates with our e-commerce plugin WooCommerce.
  • Best support to handle sales taxes with omni channel business. Our omni channel sale tax collection is on autopilot. It integrates flawlessly with amazon and Shopify and we haven't had any issue at all. TaxJar just does the job.
  • The updates this year have solved any lacking areas we saw when we first started using Tax Jar. There are a couple of times Tax Jar has charged tax when it should have not, but the percent this has happened is less than 0.001% and the number of transactions we have seen this on has decreased each month.
  • The service at the low price point is very poor. It feels like they do this intentionally to get you to upgrade.
  • It is difficult to navigate when you don't know much about taxes. Specifically when I try to autofile and don't owe any taxes, I have to create mock files. This is almost impossible to figure out on the platform without customer support being involved to explain.
TaxJar helps me take 10,000 orders and pulls information like zip codes so that I can figure out exactly how much tax is owed in each individual municipality. It centralizes policy, and knows if I have a nexus in each state and how much I owe in each locality. It knows things like if shipping and gift wrapping are taxable in states. I can't imagine running my small business without it.

About TaxJar

TaxJar offers automated sales tax reporting and filing.

According to the vendor, capabilities include:

Accurate, Detailed Sales Tax Reports:
TaxJar’s local jurisdiction reports show sales and sales tax collected not only for each state, but for local jurisdiction (counties, cities, special jurisdictions, etc). Users can also sort data by any date range.

Estimated Sales Tax Reports: Users can see a comparison of what they actually collected versus what they should have collected.

One-Click Automated Filing: TaxJar will automatically file sales tax returns directly to the states. Available in 23 states with more to come.

Up-to-Date Collection Data: A dashboard shows how much has been collected in sales tax for any state, and when the next payment is due. Data is updated automatically, every day.

Support for Multiple Channels: Connect to platforms like eBay and Amazon.

Simple Pricing: No setup fees. No contracts. Users pay one simple monthly fee based on volume of transactions.