Reviews (1-6 of 6)
August 05, 2019
Score 9 out of 10
We have been using Teradata database in our project for a long time now and I am very happy with that decision of implementing it because it has far exceeded our expectations. So, the Teradata database is basically a Relational Database Management System which is highly Scalable, Available, Stable and Robust. It is mostly used by large organizations to develop enterprise Dataware housing model. Teradata is a good fit for you only if you are dealing with huge volumes of data otherwise it may not be cost-effective for you. This enables running massive volume queries swift and easy and the response time is outstanding as well.
- Teradata database is based on Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) architecture. Because of this architecture, Teradata is able to share the workload evenly across all the system. It splits the work equally to its processes and each process runs in parallel to achieve the result in quickest possible time.
- The underlying work is done by Teradata nodes, Access Module Processors (AMPs) and the disks associated with AMPs. The beauty is that none of them share any resources which means they all work independently and achieve actual parallel processing with the fastest results. The each AMP shares the same amount of work so that no resource stays idle and the output can be quicker.
- Another excellent feature of Teradata is the Connectivity portion. It can so easily connect to almost all the major systems like Mainframes, Oracle DB or IBM DB2. The import of loads is super fast and efficient.
- It is also really helpful when you have to troubleshoot an error because it provides great diagnostic information and therefore saves you a lot of time and effort by not having to go through all the logs manually and find the error and cause for it.
- Teradata is an excellent option but only for a massive amount of data warehousing or analysis. If your data is not that big then it could be a misfit for your company and cost you a lot. The cost associated is quite extensive as compared to some other alternative RDBMS systems available in the market.
- Migration of data from Teradata to some other RDBMS systems is quite painful as the transition is not that smooth and you need to follow many steps and even if one of them fails. You need to start from the beginning almost.
- Last but not least the UI is pretty outdated and needs a revamp. Though it is simple, it needs to be presented in a much better way and more advanced options need to bee presented on the front page itself.
Teradata is especially useful when you are dealing with a large amount of data which needs to be analyzed and then you need to draw meaningful results and patterns out of that for future reference. Its parallel processing architecture is super fast and accurate giving you the results in the best possible time. Its primary role is the enterprise Dataware housing model.
Read Rahul Malik's full review
We have meetings at the beginning with the technical team to explain our requirements to them and they were really putting in a lot of effort to come up with a solution which will address all our needs. They implemented the software and also trained a few of our resources on the same too. We can get in touch with them now as well whenever we run into a roadblock but it's very less now.
June 08, 2017
Score 8 out of 10
Terdata is currently used as the main database application for a majority if not all departments across the organisation, containing both the enterprise data warehouse(s) and group data warehouse(s).
- Scalability, where it's able to house magnitudes more data compared to a standard SQL database while still retaining good performance.
- Performance, able to quickly retrieve millions of rows with ease.
- Adaptability, able to connect to the likes of Tableau desktop to enable quick analysis.
- Interface is outdated
- Some syntax slightly different to standard SQL
- Needs expertise to best create tables so as to not 'skew' database
Read David Shi's full review
It's well suited to large organisations where multiple departments across large geographical regions need to access one centralised repository. It's not so well suited to small-medium sized organisations where databases are not so large.
April 19, 2017
Score 5 out of 10
Teradata Database is used across the whole organization. It serves as the data warehouse. It addresses many problems related to huge amounts of data and it's processing hundreds of users. Balancing data calculations in correlation with hardware capabilities seems to be the biggest challenge for DB administrators.
Read Mateusz Michałek's full review
Teradata solutions are really good for big data warehouses. Huge amounts of data, users and processing loads seem to be the perfect environment for Teradata's package. Also, its connectivity capabilities to other DB systems is a big plus. I would not recommend Teradata for beginners in the DB world as it requires much more experience and knowledge than other solutions.
April 13, 2017
Score 6 out of 10
Teradata was used as a staging area for SAP financial information. It was set up as a enterprise wide data warehouse where anyone (with proper access) could come in a grab standardized financial information. As a user of the database our job was to pull information for reports and feeding our down stream applications. Using multiple SQL GUI interfaces we tried to pull our information, however the database could not handle some of the most basic Select statements. Now, one could say that the engineering and design was not up to par but I have seen other databases (Oracle) that have been setup incorrectly still be able to handle a simple select statement.
- It is easy to navigate.
- Using the GUI you can build SQL if you don't know how.
- The interaction for Projects can be managed in the GUI.
- Speed. Seems slow and clunky
- Make it user-friendly from the implementation side of the house.
- Improve the table mapping feature.
Read Brian Dandeneau's full review
Sometimes Teradata is like killing a fly with an atom bomb. you really have to scale it out. Please make sure that you have someone onsite that can properly install and setup this tool. Any data warehouse can be great with the right setup. Consider other tools before this one even if they are a little more expensive up front. It would cost you less at the end of the day.
We use it for the whole organization. We use it for data warehousing. It handles huge volumes of data easily.
- User interface is very easy. you can build the SQL very easily for beginners too
- It's very fast and had good performance, makes running huge volume queries easy
- It's easy to find and resolve the issues.
- Unlike most of the other DB, the SQL scripting is difficult here, we need to learn for using any advance scripting
- More room for automation of deployments is needed.
Read this authenticated review
It doesn't need many hardcore developers or administrators, it's easy to maintain and keep everything in control.
April 17, 2017
Score 10 out of 10
Teradata is used by most of the departments in business enterprise. It addresses the processing of large amounts of data with ease.
- Is capable of running on single-nodes, as well as multi-nodes.
- Parallelism is built into the system.
- Teradata is basically an RDMS which is used to drive the Datamart, Datawarehouse, OLAP, OLTP, as well as DSS Appliances of the company.
Read this authenticated review
Teradata is best used for data processing after the data is loaded. It is less appropriate in handling real-time data.
Teradata Vantage Advanced SQL Engine (Teradata Database) Scorecard Summary
What is Teradata Vantage Advanced SQL Engine (Teradata Database)?
Teradata Database has evolved to become the Teradata Vantage Advanced SQL Engine. The vendor describes the solution as a flexible analytic engine, in the most scalable and manageable database.
Teradata offers four service tiers based on workload profiles. Each is bundled with database features, subscription-based licensing, and license portability from on-premises to cloud options.
Categories: Relational Databases
Teradata Vantage Advanced SQL Engine (Teradata Database) Technical Details